Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

unwantedplatypus posted:

I mean, if you don't want spoilers then don't read the thread.

Please spoiler tag them.

E -ef beaten like a Typhon with a wrench.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Aug 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

try not to inject a "the original Prey was loads better than this poo poo" statement in your review because it immediately gives away how loving dumb you are

I had no idea so many people magically gave a poo poo about that game until this one came out, ironically

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

DLC Inc posted:

try not to inject a "the original Prey was loads better than this poo poo" statement in your review because it immediately gives away how loving dumb you are

I had no idea so many people magically gave a poo poo about that game until this one came out, ironically

Are they actually supposed to be at all related? I mean I thought the first Prey was OK but I was a little confused at the title of this one.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Are they actually supposed to be at all related? I mean I thought the first Prey was OK but I was a little confused at the title of this one.

they aren't at all which makes it even more laughable. People wanted a true sequel to this weird janky original Prey and were disappointed with what they got. Tbh it's Bethesda's fault shoehorning it in but if it's an Arkane game you could call it Half-Life Infinite and I'd still play it

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

OwlFancier posted:

This game apparently replaces the install folder of the old one if you own both. That's how bad it was, they delete it for you. I think a major bullet point for the game was realistic mirrors and being able to turn a faucet on.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The original Prey was ok. The new one definitely suffered from having that name though but mainly because it's a weak brand that says nothing about the game to people that would be interested in it and can only piss off people who actually liked the original. The marketing for this game was an utter shitshow.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It's too bad nvidia wasn't able to do bethesda's marketing for them like they did with doom 2016, because god knows bethesda can't be trusted with it themselves

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Digirat posted:

It's too bad nvidia wasn't able to do bethesda's marketing for them like they did with doom 2016, because god knows bethesda can't be trusted with it themselves

I mean I saw the doom presentation at E3 or whatever and it really turned me off the game because it looked incredibly boring quicktimey rubbish purely coasting on graphics.

Then suddenly it came out and everyone loved it and I was surprised and it's actually good.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

Thanks for the tip on using those files in space. Now I can use my transcribe again, though, probably too little too late. I just got the achievement for looking at every email, so I'm probably done with transcribes.
I got that achievement then walked about ten feet and picked up a brand new one I'd never heard. It triggers substantially before you actually get all of them.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
In my very pokey meandering playthrough. I would like to take a moment to thank the fact a pokey and meandering playthrough means even if you skimp on anything but rank 1 Human combat nodes due to indecision, you have a good backlog of shotgun ammo.

I would like to thank this, because I can't imagine the Nightmare would add much to my experience without being able to tell him to :fuckoff:

What with his tendency to be spawncamping right outside of loading screen doors, so he's screaming at me within 15 seconds and I'm filling his face full of buckshot until his corpse lands next to his other corpse. "Nightmare is hunting you!" Oh really, you don't say. I can see a third nightmare corpse from here. The only time I've seen him that wasn't "Loaded the area, oh look, Nightmare!" was when I injected rank 2 Psyshock in case nightmare came after me, which only summoned him in the first place :v:

Though I am quite thankful that I can indeed just straight up murder him, rather than him being a crutch design invulnerable jumpscare monster. I don't even care about his gooey innards, I already had 100+ exotics before he started showing up due to refusing to use em, until his existence made me start finally crafting neruomods out of pure spite.

I feel like I'm loving backwards in how I treat these games. If it's mimics or basic phantoms, I'll spend way too much time trying to sneak around and then bash them with a wrench as carefully as possible. Then just :tfrxmas: when it's time for the designated scary monster. In that at least, it reminds me of SS2, where I was freaked the gently caress out by psychic monkeys I could have easily splattered with my wrench. But just found the invisible turbo poison spiders irritating between seeing the Rumblers as a chance to finally stop hoarding my good ammo.

So despite my irritation with mister Nightmare waiting like an excitable dog past loading screens, he does make me appreciate that they did indeed leave him open to the "Play it your way!" mindset. With the bonus irony that even though he has way more health, it's easier to burn through it because he can't pull "Float directly upwards out of effective shotgun range".

When you're told "This isn't DOOM", but your greatest advantage against the super monster is HE IS HUGE, HE MUST HAVE HUGE GUTS! Feels good :buddy:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Aug 30, 2017

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Palpek posted:

The original Prey was ok. The new one definitely suffered from having that name though but mainly because it's a weak brand that says nothing about the game to people that would be interested in it and can only piss off people who actually liked the original. The marketing for this game was an utter shitshow.

Yeah, old Prey was actually alright. It was a fine if not an amazing shooter with some cool environments and weapons and interesting gimmicks. What's been surprising to me with the new Prey is finding out that there are apparently quite a few people who really, really hated the original. I don't think they really gained anything at all from re-using the name.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Zereth posted:

I got that achievement then walked about ten feet and picked up a brand new one I'd never heard. It triggers substantially before you actually get all of them.

I encountered the thing that he's talking about, when you find a new transcribe it goes to the top of the queue like you said but sometimes the game will go "YOU HAVE NEW AUDIO LOGS" when the only two audio logs in the queue are from the satellite, so you smash L and suddenly you hear a dial-up modem

BUT that only happened for me once for each of the two messages.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I actually thought the storyline of Prey, the way they incorporated Native Mysticism and specifically the endings were all pretty great and I remember loving it on my 360.

I'm also remembering The Darkness and now I want Prey 2 to get some of those tentacle mechanics.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Gobblecoque posted:

Yeah, old Prey was actually alright. It was a fine if not an amazing shooter with some cool environments and weapons and interesting gimmicks. What's been surprising to me with the new Prey is finding out that there are apparently quite a few people who really, really hated the original. I don't think they really gained anything at all from re-using the name.

Out of the trifecta of Doom 3, Quake 4 and OG Prey, I'd honestly say Prey was the best of them. It was certainly unique enough compared to the other two, had a really cool gimmick with the portals and the weapons felt alien enough that they didn't feel like a generic shotgun, assault rifle, rocket launcher etc.

I still think calling new Prey, Prey was a bad idea and looking online I think response to it would have been much more positive if it were called Spaceshock or something, because it's an excellent game but has nothing to do with Prey.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Out of the trifecta of Doom 3, Quake 4 and OG Prey, I'd honestly say Prey was the best of them. It was certainly unique enough compared to the other two, had a really cool gimmick with the portals and the weapons felt alien enough that they didn't feel like a generic shotgun, assault rifle, rocket launcher etc.

I still think calling new Prey, Prey was a bad idea and looking online I think response to it would have been much more positive if it were called Spaceshock or something, because it's an excellent game but has nothing to do with Prey.

Doom 3 and Quake 4 were very bad though, Doom 3 extremely so. It feels like you're stacking the deck

Agreed that using the Prey name was probably a mistake

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

double nine posted:

human only is arguably the most op build in the game.

What? How is human only more op than the best human skills plus the best typhon skills eg Psychoshock? It's not like neuromods are so limited you're restrained to one or the other

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Whew 41 hours for first sneaky playthrough with do no harm/max empathy ending. Not sure what the ending was exactly, but who cares.
Thanks Arkane for making great *shock and Thieflike games, hopefully sales pick up through word of mouth.

I wish I'd gotten more typhon skills to play around with instead of just Psychoshock II.
The flimsy turrets are so useless mid/lategame that you can just ignore the penalty.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Aug 31, 2017

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

sauer kraut posted:

The flimsy turrets are so useless mid/lategame that you can just ignore the penalty.

You can also hack them

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.
So I know I'm far from the first person to post this, but I feel like I must be playing the game wrong. I'm fairly sure I'm still very early in the game (I only just now listened to the second half of the message in your office where past you or whatever says you need to kill yourself and blow up the station; I only just now encountered January and got the shotgun. I just don't feel like I have any real effective way to handle most of the enemies I'm encountering. The basic mimics, of course, can be easily handled. But even basic phantoms often inflict some fairly bad injury from my usual tricks (huck an explosive canister at them, sneak charge wrench attack in the back then keep beating on them when they ragdoll to the floor, GLOO them then beat on them) since one of these tactics isn't usually enough to kill an enemy outright. Even the shotgun doesn't inflict much actual damage (4+ shots to kill a phantom from full health) and I don't have nearly enough ammo to use it regularly. The silenced pistol just seems useless, barely more damaging than the drat nerf crossbow (which I still haven't found an actual use for, besides a sort of "distraction launcher.")

Are there "must-have" neuromod enhancements I should be shooting for? I've mostly just stuck to the 1- or 2-level basic powers. Particular bits of equipment I should keep a lookout for? I have 5-6 weapon upgrade kits I haven't used yet, since I'm not sure what weapons will "go the distance" of the game. Is the shotgun or pistol worth upgrading long-term?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Upgrade everything. If you use your recyclers and pick up all the extraneous weapons, you will have plenty of materials. Also, make sure you are recycling the weapons you find, and not scrapping them. You get more metal by recycling. You have to look for the plans, but you can fabricate almost anything consumable in the game.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

so a few things - charging up the wrench makes it do more damage and if you open with a sneak-attack you can, with careful timing, stun-lock the basic phantoms.
If you want to shoot stuff, the shotgun will be a lot more effective at point-blank range.
There is a part of hardware labs sealed off - the beams and waves lab, in there there is another tool to deal damage. You can get in there with repair or an ability you can buy a bit later from now.
All weapons become more and more overpowered with each weapon upgrade, so look out for those, and invest in the mods that allows you to upgrade weapons beyond level 1.
Did you find the stun-gun in the neuromod division? You can use it to stun a typhon, unload with the wrench/shotgun, repeat.
The pistol has a hair-trigger, fire that thing like it's a submachine gun.

edit: the crossbow will be very useful in a few levels. Additionally, try shooting it at a computer.

double nine fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Aug 31, 2017

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

prussian advisor posted:

Are there "must-have" neuromod enhancements I should be shooting for? I've mostly just stuck to the 1- or 2-level basic powers. Particular bits of equipment I should keep a lookout for? I have 5-6 weapon upgrade kits I haven't used yet, since I'm not sure what weapons will "go the distance" of the game. Is the shotgun or pistol worth upgrading long-term?
Early on, I think the stun gun gives you the best bang for your buck as far as upgrades go. The "ammo" upgrade for the stun gun doesn't just increase how many shots you have before you reload, it increases how many shots you get per "unit" of ammo, so it becomes a lot more efficient. It works as good crowd control to let you take on larger groups safely, it lets you take down single targets completely risk-free, it absolutely shreds anything mechanical, and stunned targets take more damage, making everything else you do more efficient. Upgrade it as far as you can first, in my opinion, then put your weapon upgrade kits into your shotgun, prioritizing damage. I wouldn't put any weapon kits into your pistol just yet because you can get a golden one with slightly higher stats later on

If you don't have a stun gun, the easiest way to get one is (vague spoilers) back in Neuromod division. (specific) In the small foyer where you picked up your first neuromod, gloo your way up to the second level and it should be near a corpse there. .

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You don't have to gloo up, just fix the grav lift thing. Also, don't worry about upgrading the pistol early on. I had way too many resources when I finished the game, you can just make more weapon upgrade kits.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

You don't have to gloo up, just fix the grav lift thing. Also, don't worry about upgrading the pistol early on. I had way too many resources when I finished the game, you can just make more weapon upgrade kits.

that depends on having invested in repair, which may not have happened.

Also making gloo-ledges and exploring is fun.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
There's also a Stun Gun in the room that you start in, as soon as you break out of your 'apartment' look for a small room with a fancy neuromod chair. The Gun is on top of the big blue box thing directly to the left of that chair. It's not much earlier than the Stun Gun mentioned before however.

I also learned to love Lift+Mimicry with turrets to handle phantoms, I kill them with metal rain! :black101:

Edit: spoiler tags in case any adventurous individual wants to find the earliest Stun Gun by themself

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

QuarkJets posted:

Doom 3 and Quake 4 were very bad though, Doom 3 extremely so. It feels like you're stacking the deck

Doom 3, Quake 4, and Prey are all good games?

Seriously I genuinely think all of them are fun and good, I just rebought Q4 on steam cos it's cheap and I wanted to play it again.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

prussian advisor posted:

So I know I'm far from the first person to post this, but I feel like I must be playing the game wrong. I'm fairly sure I'm still very early in the game (I only just now listened to the second half of the message in your office where past you or whatever says you need to kill yourself and blow up the station; I only just now encountered January and got the shotgun. I just don't feel like I have any real effective way to handle most of the enemies I'm encountering. The basic mimics, of course, can be easily handled. But even basic phantoms often inflict some fairly bad injury from my usual tricks (huck an explosive canister at them, sneak charge wrench attack in the back then keep beating on them when they ragdoll to the floor, GLOO them then beat on them) since one of these tactics isn't usually enough to kill an enemy outright. Even the shotgun doesn't inflict much actual damage (4+ shots to kill a phantom from full health) and I don't have nearly enough ammo to use it regularly. The silenced pistol just seems useless, barely more damaging than the drat nerf crossbow (which I still haven't found an actual use for, besides a sort of "distraction launcher.")

If you're only just getting to that part then you're disgustingly early in the game, and the game is still building its repeating arc of: you're weak -> here's some badass powers -> now you're strong -> so here's some Event Horizon poo poo you can't handle

I held off on this game for a long time because press previews had the same damage you did, things seemed really bullet spongey out of proportion to the hellacious amounts of damage they did etc etc. This is because every problem larger than a mimic needs 2-3 Things to get dispatched. So, you don't just magdump your shotgun into a phantom and waste all your ammo and then wonder why you're out of metallic mats all the time, you GLOO that phantom up, run right up to him, plant that barrel under its chin and hold down the trigger. Bam, 2shot. Silenced pistol is great for mimics and other small stuff, you just need to abuse the heck out of attacking from stealth.

The shotgun is goddamned transcendent when kitted up. The shotgun is one of the most devastating alien vaporizers in the game and for reference the second most is a laser that makes things explode tied with a throwable black hole that turns extradimensional horrors into gubbins. The basic 9mm is okay, but you get a significantly better one later on that mods to silly degrees. Weapon mod kits are everywhere though so don't worry about it if you already used some on the 9mm. This game really doesn't starve you for resources at all which is why some folk are seriously puzzled at people who run out of things toward the end game.

This is kind of a lovely answer for a guide, but its an honest one considering you're not yet at the part of the game where you have literally 100% more options than you already do: Take the neuromods that feel good to you intuitively and don't sweat minmaxing because you're gonna be hilariously busted-rear end OP as gently caress by the endgame anyway. I'm dead serious, listen to your feelings. Whenever I play an SSMA game for the first time I typically do hacking/techie stuff so I beelined hacking and repair and almost had paroxysms of min-maxxer's remorse because they were so expensive, but get this: there's a use for those maxxed skills and they let you do fun stuff you couldn't do otherwise. Then I figured that it was an Arkane game so I took all the mobility powers, and get this: there was a use for those maxxed mobility skills and they let me do a lot of fun stuff I couldn't have done otherwise. So then I figured that bullet time plus those gun bonus skills in security and more inventory space and blah blah blah everything was great. There isn't really a "dump skill" in this game.

I guess hacking and inventory are the two really big "bang for your buck" skills early on, but beneath the surface presentation of scifi horror game, Prey is about just cutting loose and playing the drat game and not worrying about every little thing you may have missed like its an early-90's sierra adventure or something.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.
Thank you everyone for the outstanding advice. I actually was on my way back to the Neuromod division when I stumbled upon the stungun you all mentioned, by just mantling my way up signs and light fixtures. I've noticed that this game's maps have a surprisingly high level of "verticality" for a traditional "corridor shooter" environment, which I love. I'll be sure to upgrade this thing as well.

Does the wrench ever really become "obsolete" like the one in SS2 really did?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
The only weapon that arguably becomes obsolete is the regular pistol. It's primarily a matter of your preferences which weapons you use, assuming you have upgraded your inventory enough to carry all of them. My biggest advice to your earlier question is to not hoard neuromods and weapon upgrades, but use them on what seems best to you at the moment; you can always fabricate more.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
every weapon has its niche. the pistol is ironically the machine gun equivalent, able to chew threw massive amounts of resources in exchange for the highest overall dps of any weapon and able to deliver it at long range. Not going to be your primary weapon but it has all the same skills as the shotgun so its a good ranged backup.

the qbeam is the other long range option and is good because its very ammo efficient and you can get a lot of ammo for it anyway and it still kills things quick but its a much bigger investment paired with the shotgun. its also really great as a primary so you dont really need the shotgun since you can often kill things before you could have gotten close enough to hit them with a couple shells. Pairs very well with the gloo gun and the various long range typhon powers.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
My upgraded (golden) pistol did a lot of work, it's really good at finishing stuff you don't want to get close to even after psyshocking.
Voltaics, Ethereals and maybe the fire dudes. Also dumping damage into the god damned flying Techno cubes. And oneshotting regular mimics from stealth never got old.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

prussian advisor posted:

Thank you everyone for the outstanding advice. I actually was on my way back to the Neuromod division when I stumbled upon the stungun you all mentioned, by just mantling my way up signs and light fixtures. I've noticed that this game's maps have a surprisingly high level of "verticality" for a traditional "corridor shooter" environment, which I love. I'll be sure to upgrade this thing as well.

Does the wrench ever really become "obsolete" like the one in SS2 really did?

If you were disappointed in the SS2 Wrench, hoo boy are you gonna be let down by "Will only tickle the weakest mimic unless you charge swing." And awkward decison that you can't chain charge swings, you have to not touch the button for a while between swings.

Wrench can be quite handy, but it's basically "Don't bother unless it's a basic mimic, or managed to sneak up on a basic phantom" With the occasional sneak attack on Etheral phantoms hoping the charged swing knocks them down rather than piss them off. Rather than SS2 "I'm comfortable fighting robot ninjas with this thing" and not having to be more afraid the button inputs would decide I rushed it and gently caress you, we won't let you charge the swing-whoops looks like that broke them free of the gloo without killing him and now he's duplicating.

I'm saying these hurtful things of the Prey wrench as a guy who still stubbornly uses the wrench to saving 9mm ammo against mimics and basic phantoms even when I have a fully upgraded golden pistol and 200 bullets. So clearly it's still good enough to do the job on anything without notable ranged or AoE effects. But boy do I miss my SS2 wrench despite it's overall slower animations frustrating me way back when.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Sep 1, 2017

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I think the wrench is better than you give it credit for; like the rest of the game's weapons, it really shines only when paired with sneak attacks/gloo/electricity/psychoshock/combat focus. It's pretty useful throughout the game.

That said, a melee-only run would be miserable in Prey compared to SS2 with the Crystal Shard and Laser Rapier also available to you.

To the poster a couple pages back who mentioned the game's absurdly bad texture pop-in- lower your texture quality. I was having that issue as well, could play with maxed textures and it looked great in the first room I loaded into, only to find that as soon as I left anything further than 10m from me would be a solid colour. Turned my textures down to medium and while stuff doesn't look quite as nice up close, everything distant looks like a game should.

Also, to the people way back when who recommended the novel Blindsight as a good point of reference for discussing the Typhon intelligence and first-contact scenarios, thanks! It was an excellent read, and really does feel applicable to Prey. The idea of intelligence without consciousness seems to make a lot of sense in regards to the Typhon, and in this light I'm a lot more impressed with the game, since it's a tall order to have a discussion like that in a video game compared to a book, given the strengths and weaknesses of the media.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

aniviron posted:

Also, to the people way back when who recommended the novel Blindsight as a good point of reference for discussing the Typhon intelligence and first-contact scenarios, thanks! It was an excellent read, and really does feel applicable to Prey. The idea of intelligence without consciousness seems to make a lot of sense in regards to the Typhon, and in this light I'm a lot more impressed with the game, since it's a tall order to have a discussion like that in a video game compared to a book, given the strengths and weaknesses of the media.

Super alien, isn't it. I'm glad you liked it.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

aniviron posted:

I think the wrench is better than you give it credit for; like the rest of the game's weapons, it really shines only when paired with sneak attacks/gloo/electricity/psychoshock/combat focus. It's pretty useful throughout the game.

That said, a melee-only run would be miserable in Prey compared to SS2 with the Crystal Shard and Laser Rapier also available to you.
Nah I think I gave em a fair assessment. As I give it credit for mimics and basic phantoms.

Meanwhile, "But what if you combine it with glue/stun guns/etc?" doesn't apply for the rest, unless you just don't give a gently caress you are taking damage just for being near them. Or confident you can somehow wrench something to death before it floats out of melee reach.

Though even without that "No see, X is GREAT! If you use Y and X first" is not very strong praise :v: I don't need to gently caress around with stun guns or gloo guns to get wrench mileage out of basic phantoms, unless it's in a position of twitchy patrol you can't sneak up on. On the other hand, using the wrench after stunning a Pyro or gooing a Voltiac is still usually asking for trouble.

Etherals are in a bit of a hazy spot where sometimes it goes amazingly well because they fall to the curb from a sneak wrench and they won't live long enough to stand back up, but other times they take a sneak wrench to the back of the head like a champ or have juuust enough health that even if you gloo em, they will survive and duplicate.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Sep 1, 2017

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Yeah, but that doesn't make it worse than the pistol or early game shotgun even. Wrench does fall off late game but still has a useful place against quite a few enemies if that's your thing.

I wish it had a weapon upgrade path like the other guns though. That would probably be enough to make it workable at all difficulties and more enemies.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I just started playing this game. Going in, I thought it would be a lot scarier than it was. I had this image in my mind of going into a room, trying to divine which objects (if any!) are mimics, and getting mauled if I guess wrong. In practice, I find that that one of three things will happen. One, I guess correctly and the mimic dies. Great! Two, I guess incorrectly and a mimic reveals itself. Unfortunatley, the mimic then proceeds to just sort of stand around for a few seconds, giving me ample time to destroy it. Three, I guess wrong and the mimic doesn't reveal itself. I thought this would result in me turning around, walking away, and suddenly having a mimic on my back. Unfortunately mimics tend to make a very loud and distinctive sound when they uncloak, which causes me to turn around and kill them while they are standing around for a few seconds. They are far far far bigger threats uncloaked than cloaked. So, that is a disappointment.

Another, much bigger complaint I have is that most of the game's story progression and direction is delivered via people calling me and telling me where to go next. This would be fine, except that four out of five times this happens while I am in the middle of a fight. Naturally, there is no way to re-listen to these dialogs. I can't dodge yellow energy balls and listen to a robot tell me to go to space at the same time, so I usually end up having to reverse-engineer what I was told from my current mission objective. Right now I think I have to get a key to blow up the spaceship so the aliens all die, but it sure would be nice if I didn't have to deduce that.

Other than that the game is quite fun. I didn't get very far in system shock 2 because I literally could not find the correct path, so having markers makes the station a lot more navigable. I do have questions though. Whenever I encounter a security terminal, it has a list of personnel on it. By clicking on one of those personnel, I get a little quest to go find them. These quests have no reward as far as I can tell, but they are handy for leading me to parts of the station I may have overlooked. My questions are as follows:

1. If I find one of these people while I do not have their quest active, will it still complete that quest? You can only have one at a time, so it sure would be irritating to have to manually activate every one.

2. Does every terminal share a list of names, or are they distinct?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Outside of the beginning of the game, the wrench is only useful when whatever you just did leaves a phantom with a sliver of health.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Finish Nightmares off with the wrench every time.

*tap*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Ariong posted:

1. If I find one of these people while I do not have their quest active, will it still complete that quest? You can only have one at a time, so it sure would be irritating to have to manually activate every one.

2. Does every terminal share a list of names, or are they distinct?

When you go near enough to a named corpse to loot it, it's marked as 'found'
The sec terminal 'quests' are really only there to set a marker over some guy you wanna find either for a real quest, a hint dropped somewhere about loot/keys, or just for fun.
Some of them bug out, don't spawn or get exploded by random stuff so don't go OCD over that find all people cheevo.