Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Yeah I had to do this as well but it worked fine after.

Also the crazy scaling when you get up in someone's face is still there.

Rivet is the biggest boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Oh cool, a luger, mp40, and m1 garand for payday 2 as tie in weapons. Anybody unlock them and try them out yet?

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

The Garand is by far the best gun, so naturally you get it last. It fills a nice niche being another sidegrade to the M308 and Cavity. It's moderately concealable and it's the DMR with the most ammo because it gets a +total ammo mod with no downsides, but you can't increase its clip size without mods and it's only locked to single fire.

The Luger is basically a free version of the Broomstick without the ability to mount a laser, and the MP40 is a worse version of the Swedish K.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

maswastaken posted:

That's literally what a beta is for.
Not with less than a month before the game is released for sale it isnt.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!

That worked, thanks.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Pretty much Raid is neat and the idea's great, but it needs some work on the "feel" of things like the guns.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
This seems like as good a time as any to remind folks that I'm running the de facto goons payday 2 and RAID discord.

https://discord.gg/vSNn4Sk

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Yardbomb posted:

Pretty much Raid is neat and the idea's great, but it needs some work on the "feel" of things like the guns.

I wonder if any of it's caused by the fact that WW2 guns are generally worse, and we're only seeing the level 1 weapons.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Gort posted:

I wonder if any of it's caused by the fact that WW2 guns are generally worse, and we're only seeing the level 1 weapons.

I wanna hope it's the latter, like even running up on guys with the shotgun, I'd blast them in the gut on NORMAL and they'd just kind of no-sell it entirely.

It sucks because they all look and sound really good, but everything feels like a peashooter right now.

Also hard blows your rear end out like immediately both times I've tried it now, like three flamethower guys show up at once and just hose you down while every other direction is a hail of gunfire.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
The recon guy is fairly miserable to play as, even in the outdoor mission. A five-round bolt-action rifle is not a good weapon.

So far I'd rate the classes Insurgent (SMG) > Assault (semi-auto rifle) > Demolition (shotgun) > Recon (bolt-action rifle)

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Gort posted:

The recon guy is fairly miserable to play as, even in the outdoor mission. A five-round bolt-action rifle is not a good weapon.

So far I'd rate the classes Insurgent (SMG) > Assault (semi-auto rifle) > Demolition (shotgun) > Recon (bolt-action rifle)

I hope we can make space mosins

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Well that's cool, heads and limbs do shred off bodies in RAID. Also I'm enjoying these weird vinyets of real actors doing goofy stuff whether its command chewing scenery or hitler having a tantrum after you win a level. They'll need a lot of them if they're going to bet utilize and rely on these things, but its fun to see what creativity there is in this project.

Gameplay is so-so. Weapons desperately need variety even though I'm sort of okay with upgrades coming with use.

Biggest problem right now? WHERE THE HELL IS THIS LOOT AT? You gotta hunt for your nazi gold like this is wolfenstein but with these big new maps, I'm loving lost trying to find anything here.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.
wow raid looks and plays like a ww2 payday 2 if it was made 7 years ago instead in the worst way

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.
if this is what the full release ends up being like without some degree of big change then oh man is this going to be a very solid disappointment of a game

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Yardbomb posted:

I think it's the combination of low damage and bad sounds + animations so they're just not fun to shoot.

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

wow raid looks and plays like a ww2 payday 2 if it was made 7 years ago instead in the worst way
Yeah it feels very Payday 1 but like, in a bad way

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Crabtree posted:

Biggest problem right now? WHERE THE HELL IS THIS LOOT AT? You gotta hunt for your nazi gold like this is wolfenstein but with these big new maps, I'm loving lost trying to find anything here.

It's in crates but it feels like it's tuned really low on spawns, I guess these are just low loot maps in general from their concepts, which makes it weirder that they'd be what you wanna show off in your game about killing + robbing the nazis. The gunplay has grown on me more after playing with it some, but yeah I really wish they had given everyone at least 2 of their weapons, it feels like some of the classes start off pretty good, insurgent with the sten and assault with the M1 carbine, but then you've got recon with that enfield or whatever and boy is that not great.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Sep 1, 2017

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I have an easier time finding dog tags right now and its kind of amazing that's a thing.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.
Also with the PayDay 2 update: RIP Lua mods.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

At least the shotgun is decent. Liking the dismemberment on it too.

ThatOneGuy posted:

Also with the PayDay 2 update: RIP Lua mods.

Wilko giveth Wilko taketh away.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

I only played a short session solo on normal (as assault), but here's how I feel about RAID so far.

Yeah, it seems like where RAID is currently failing is vague areas relating to feel. The graphics give the impression of a 2009 era game instead of something more recent. Not that they have to be stunning, but the game just looks old.

Then there's the gunfeel, or rather, lack thereof. I just don't feel like I'm getting any real feedback about what the guns are doing. The M1 carbine feels like it's a pea shooter with no recoil but the bullets fly everywhere, so it starts giving flashbacks of Ubersoldier 2 (which is not a compliment) and the broomhandle feels useless at any range beyond an arm's length. The good news is that these are all quite fixable and I'm hoping Overkill can offer assistance in the gunfeel department.

I do like the sense I get of the mechanics overall. Things feel more tight in terms of objectives while allowing me to wander around like an idiot if I choose. Not just bag moving simulator 2000. Although it would be nice to find some loot.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
The same freaks crying about insensitivity to nazis in the Wolfenstein games, such as taking away a swastika on the store page so it can be sold in Germany, are in the RAID steam forums.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

:laffo: of course they are.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Wait what the gently caress? I just tried the Raid beta and thought it was bad but would probably shape up in the year or so before it released.

It's actually coming out in THREE WEEKS? Holy gently caress.

Fake edit: Man that's a loving tough nazi.

https://my.mixtape.moe/bfkvnb.webm

Det_no fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Sep 1, 2017

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Gort posted:

Nazis make a better enemy type than cops

Wait, there's a difference?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

:siren: Wario joins the Payday Gang :siren:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Det_no posted:

Fake edit: Man that's a loving tough nazi.

https://my.mixtape.moe/bfkvnb.webm

Yeah the waffen SS dudes in the woods are like hilariously tough right now, the M1 carbine takes like a good string of headshots to put one down as well.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

They're not that tough; we're just level 0-5 in ye olde Payday 2 with the class-appropriate analogues to the AMCAR and Chimano 88.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I'd be careful about trying to make parallels that direct. These weapons are supposed to last you as-is until level 15 when you unlock one more tier of upgrades. It's not like the AMCAR, which you can stop using at level 4. Or zero, after DLC. Also, early PD2 was bad. This is - nominally - made with years of being able to look back at PD2's mistakes and, with a fresh start, try to solve them. Them not solving that is questionable.

There's a lot of Raid which is strong conceptually, but sorta faceplants on execution. Weaponfeel and damage is one of the misses. On the other hand, I think they took inspiration from PD1 in some good places along with PD2. The level progression meaning there is no "stealth build" or "loud build" and the missions being designed to let you start quiet and go loud at any time? Excellent idea. So I believe this is something they can polish out into a good state ... I just don't know if they can do so fast enough.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I also don't know if they want this to be DPS and bulletspounge or good shots and high accuracy between PD2 and PD:TH. These so called starter guns can't do either.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
It can't be emphasized enough; in a world of Hey Everyone Come Join Our Promotional Demo "betas", this is an actual beta. At this point we're locked to the very earliest levels, with guns designed to work well on Easy (that difficulty no one plays), as the devs check for basic stability and interface bugs.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
That's all well and good but how come the game looks way worse than PD2?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
allow me to present this counterpoint:

testicles

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Coolguye posted:

allow me to present this counterpoint:

testicles

With this, the balls in their court now.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

EorayMel posted:

:siren: Wario joins the Payday Gang :siren:

:smuggo:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

I was going to make it into a Luigi but I thought Wario was the better addition due to lore :geno:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

In an almost positive way, at least the biggest gripes for RAID keep seeming to be "But the game doesn't look super amazing" which I can deal with because I like being able to play games on my middling computer and then people going apeshit over the german version stuff, a bunch of them not even german and just using it as an opportunity to whine about their political puke. The gameplay has kind of warmed up on me and mostly I want to see how things do progress with the weapons and all that on damage and difficulty.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Yardbomb posted:

In an almost positive way, at least the biggest gripes for RAID keep seeming to be "But the game doesn't look super amazing" which I can deal with because I like being able to play games on my middling computer and then people going apeshit over the german version stuff, a bunch of them not even german and just using it as an opportunity to whine about their political puke. The gameplay has kind of warmed up on me and mostly I want to see how things do progress with the weapons and all that on damage and difficulty.

Yeah, everything I see wrong is easily fixable, so I'm still positive about it on the whole.

e: and almost on cue, there's a patch. More damage, customization, characters go to level 10, and a new mission

Explosionface fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Sep 2, 2017

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

RAID beta trip report:

I like that they scaled back complexity on the weapon and leveling system, assuming what we're seeing here is anywhere close to the final version. The fact that the skill trees function more like perk decks means there's less layering of similar bonuses to hit optimal damage.

There is an Infinite Nazi problem and I don't just mean in the way that Payday 2 has infinite cops from the elemental plane of law. I was in the first mission and rounded a corner; and there's a stairwell near the end that just dumps about 8 Nazis per second into a 2x2 area. I actually enjoy the frantic pace this kind of spawn rate creates, but without a choke point to control there's not really any valid strategy to deal with it aside from 'back up and lure them away from the spawn" which means you can't press forward with the mission objective.

Also as another friend of mine pointed out, they need to cool it with the voice callouts. If I hear, "I guess they don't like it up in 'em" one more time I may opt to just play the game with the sound off.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

I'm convinced the voice callouts are one of the things still acting up, the first time I played, both levels, nobody said a single peep. Tried again later in the day and that time it was the reverse, where nobody would actually stop quipping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Yeah there's no real sense or feedback about when or if waves end. The music will cut out when they stop spawning but it seems to be nearly endless, which I don't think works very well.