Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

d3c0y2 posted:

How do you get the final ascension slot? Also once you've unlocked every tradition is there any point to unity at all or should you just replace all unity buildings and change your civics?

There's a rare tech for one of the ascension slots. Research when you pull it and you'll unlock the last slot. And, yeah, there's no need for unity when all the traditions are completed. Burn all your temples :devil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

GenericOverusedName posted:

It's actually Galactic Years or whatever so it takes longer

I have no idea how months or days count don't think about it too hard

It's acually very definitely earth years because the default human lifespan is 72 game years.

That's part of the problem, it's quite easy to make your species immortal before anyone dies of old age.

It's a bit weird if the entirety of your leadership and a large chunk of your species remembers the pre FTL days after you conquer the galaxy, and you've only gone through maybe one administration change as an empire.

Lord Despoterix I: By divine providence, gave unto humanity the FTL drive, with which we defeated the shackles of the dark spirits binding us to our solar system. Reigned 2190 to 2300. Lord Despoterix II: Continued his father's subjugation of the remaining half of the infidel galaxy, ascended to immortality by the grace of the spirits of the shroud. Imperial lineage bas relief shares plummeted overnight, not even enough members for a triptych.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Sep 1, 2017

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

d3c0y2 posted:

How do you get the final ascension slot? Also once you've unlocked every tradition is there any point to unity at all or should you just replace all unity buildings and change your civics?

Ascension Theory, the only Tier 4 physics tech.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Just count one year as one full rotation of the galaxy. In the case of the Milky Way that would leave your average game taking about 48 billion years. Plenty of time to grow!

Or in the average case of a Stellaris universe, forever since the usual celestial movements like rotation and orbiting don't happen.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Or in the average case of a Stellaris universe, forever since the usual celestial movements like rotation and orbiting don't happen.

On the one hand, fleets having to burn their way out of the gravity well would be cool, but that would also be annoying when you get caught flat footed with your fleets in orbit instead of at the edge of the system.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

OwlFancier posted:

It's acually very definitely earth years because the default human lifespan is 72 game years.

That's part of the problem, it's quite easy to make your species immortal before anyone dies of old age.

It's a bit weird if the entirety of your leadership and a large chunk of your species remembers the pre FTL days after you conquer the galaxy, and you've only gone through maybe one administration change as an empire.

While the ways immortality works in Stellaris are pretty drat fantastical, the basic idea that there could be extensive longevity within a few centuries of now isn't exactly new or even especially outlandish compared to nearly everything else about Stellaris' setting.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Blooming Brilliant posted:

I found Sol right next to my starting system in a fresh game, it was a Tomb World that got blown up before the game started. When I surveyed it, I found a race of pre-sentient insectoids dotting the planet.

They're called Giant Cockroaches :allears:

Sure many of you have come across this before, but it was my first time getting it and I got a big laugh out of it.

In my last game, I uplifted the cockroaches, granted them full rights and citizenship, and elected one Prime Minister.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Lum_ posted:

Speaking of New Horizons, a new version dropped today with playable Borg and new Mirror Universe scenarios (play as Terran Empire and fight for mini-skirts!)

Hell yeah

Did they put in the crisis of the Terran Empire invading the normal universe?

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault
Following goon advice my games are going much better now, thanks guys!

However, I can't find any info though about how best to split up sectors

In my current game I've got one massive continous sector with all my colonies in it (like 10), is this a good move or a bad move?
If smaller sectors are better, what's the best way to split them up?

The biggest issue I've seen with a big rear end sector is they only seem to build a single construction ship, so it takes them loving forever to cover all planets with mining/research stations

Also the sector focus buttons scare me. I once clicked "focus on minerals" and they mowed down all their power plants and totally cripped both the empire's and their own energy :stare:

Bonus question: I've now tried all the goverments (except hive mind cos expansion) and everything but imperial seems poo poo. Why would I bother with the other goverment types?

Bar that, all is great! :unsmith:

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
One sector is still the optimal solution, especially in the next patch when you'll only need two super-governors to run your empire.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

Aethernet posted:

One sector is still the optimal solution, especially in the next patch when you'll only need two super-governors to run your empire.

Ace, this is what I thought. Especailly with the leader cap

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Can sectors still only build one thing at a time? I remember that being a thing.

kaffo posted:

Also the sector focus buttons scare me. I once clicked "focus on minerals" and they mowed down all their power plants and totally cripped both the empire's and their own energy :stare:
Turn on "respect tile resources" and turn off "allow redevelopment" to minimise the damage changing focus does. They turn them into a set of "what should it build next" buttons. Also having multiple sectors gives you a bit more granular control when it comes to tweaking your economy. Whether that's worth a leader slot is another question.

kaffo posted:

Bonus question: I've now tried all the goverments (except hive mind cos expansion) and everything but imperial seems poo poo. Why would I bother with the other goverment types?
Democracy nets you 50 influence every ten years if you expand smart.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

Splicer posted:

Turn on "respect tile resources" and turn off "allow redevelopment" to minimise the damage changing focus does. They turn them into a set of "what should it build next" buttons.
Ah this is probably where I hosed up, I'm pretty sure I left allow redevelopment on, so they just went nuts and ripped everything up.

Splicer posted:

Can sectors still only build one thing at a time? I remember that being a thing.
They build loads of poo poo at once, but only seem to actually bother building one construction ship per sector, so the single ship is the bottle neck.
I deleted a sector at one point cos I'd hosed up and it actually gave me back the single construction ship they'd built.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
I tend to use my own construction ships to build stuff I want in sectors, as I prioritise research resources over +2 minerals. Sectors used to build more than one construction ship, but haven't done so for a while.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

kaffo posted:

Ah this is probably where I hosed up, I'm pretty sure I left allow redevelopment on, so they just went nuts and ripped everything up.

They build loads of poo poo at once, but only seem to actually bother building one construction ship per sector, so the single ship is the bottle neck.
I deleted a sector at one point cos I'd hosed up and it actually gave me back the single construction ship they'd built.

This is one of the times where having tons of sectors is a good thing: You also get tons of construction ships! :v:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
If I utterly engulf another empire I sometimes dump them into their own appropriately named sector for flavour reasons.

I kind of miss the old "independence for x sector" factions sometimes. They flat didn't work as implemented but I liked the concept.

\/ Yes, or when you get the last of an empire from war goals \/

Splicer fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Sep 1, 2017

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I wish that when you integrate a vassal, it comes in as its own section so I don't have to drop everything and start making sections right away.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Splicer posted:

If I utterly engulf another empire I sometimes dump them into their own appropriately named sector for flavour reasons.

I kind if miss the old "independence for x sector" factions sometimes. They flat didn't work as implemented but I liked the concept.

I do the same, something like "X Occupation Zone" so I can kinda keep track of where my different species are at.

My sector strategy is to group some planets together that have a lot of a specific resource (energy, minerals, research) and just make them hyper specialized. I'll usually have one sector of two planets (or one big one) that's my breadbasket and the rest are just focused on pulling minerals out of the ground or generating power.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Tbh I'd prefer it if sectors were a special type of vassal with greater or lesser autonomy based on policies. They're a weird halfway house now that doesn't quite work.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

kaffo posted:

Honestly, it's all about the civics.

Democracy gets mad influence in a short time, though it levels out later. Parliamentary System helps make influence gains even more ridiculous.

Democracy or Oligarchy also lend themselves well to high Leadership play, via Meritocracy. Citizen Service is also decent, if you are playing warlike and want more fleet. Forced choice if you want Egalitarian civics.

Oligarchy is the choice for Corporate Dominion/energy play. If you have deviants, you can also counter that with Exalted Priesthood.

Dictators don't really get any neat exclusives, but I suppose it's good if you want Authoritarian and some means of influencing who the next ruler is. Shares Philosopher King with Imperial.

Imperial can net Imperial Cult, but you can do better influence with democracy. I only really pick this or dictators if I'm slaving or venerable.

Hive mind is good for mineral or energy focused plays...or just eating the galaxy.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Blooming Brilliant posted:

I found Sol right next to my starting system in a fresh game, it was a Tomb World that got blown up before the game started. When I surveyed it, I found a race of pre-sentient insectoids dotting the planet.

They're called Giant Cockroaches :allears:

Sure many of you have come across this before, but it was my first time getting it and I got a big laugh out of it.

Uplift those fuckers and you now have a species that can colonize literally anything because of tomb world preference.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

The only problem I have with Democracy and Oligarchy is that I keep losing my nice admirals and scientists, and I end up burning a bunch of the extra influence I generate to create new sub-par leaders.

I would really like a policy setting when in an elective government that allows me to set where the elective pool comes from.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

GunnerJ posted:

I wish that when you integrate a vassal, it comes in as its own section so I don't have to drop everything and start making sections right away.

Rather than this, I wish that integrated vassals had a grace period where they don't count against core world cap, so you have time to redevelop their worlds to be less lovely before you're forced to shove them all into sectors. It sucks to have to micromanage everything in and out of sectors, and having to spend even more influence on that (on top of the influence you spent integrating the vassal in the first place) just makes it even worse.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

binge crotching posted:

The only problem I have with Democracy and Oligarchy is that I keep losing my nice admirals and scientists, and I end up burning a bunch of the extra influence I generate to create new sub-par leaders.

I would really like a policy setting when in an elective government that allows me to set where the elective pool comes from.
1.8 will limit eligible candidates to faction leaders, so it'll be more predictable.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Main Paineframe posted:

Rather than this, I wish that integrated vassals had a grace period where they don't count against core world cap, so you have time to redevelop their worlds to be less lovely before you're forced to shove them all into sectors. It sucks to have to micromanage everything in and out of sectors, and having to spend even more influence on that (on top of the influence you spent integrating the vassal in the first place) just makes it even worse.
Wiz said 1.8 will let you dip into sectors influence-free.

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.
Or you just dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed. Sectors are sausage factories, min maxing is death, do not pierce the veil.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

MilkmanLuke posted:

Or you just dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed. Sectors are sausage factories, min maxing is death, do not pierce the veil.
That's not what minmaxing means :spergin::arghfist:

:spargh: would be a good emote

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Conskill posted:

While the ways immortality works in Stellaris are pretty drat fantastical, the basic idea that there could be extensive longevity within a few centuries of now isn't exactly new or even especially outlandish compared to nearly everything else about Stellaris' setting.

It doesn't make for particularly interesting gameplay though, why bother having leaders if they're going to become arbitrarily long lived almost immediately?

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

Hell yeah

Did they put in the crisis of the Terran Empire invading the normal universe?

They claim to have, though I haven't seen it.

I tend to crash a lot when playing the mega-huge full galaxy map, but playing as the Borg and just beating up the Delta quadrant isn't the same :smith:

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Splicer posted:

1.8 will limit eligible candidates to faction leaders, so it'll be more predictable.

The first mod I download post patch will be one that allows any leader to become president again. President Fleet Conciousness will rise again!

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

It doesn't make for particularly interesting gameplay though, why bother having leaders if they're going to become arbitrarily long lived almost immediately?

Need palace intrigue events to kill the god emperor. Assassinations, faction coup attempts etc.

Also idk about you but there's a lot of churn in the science community. Salvaging tech is a dangerous as gently caress job and I don't care enough to even try keeping those guys alive.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Mr. Fix It posted:

There's a rare tech for one of the ascension slots. Research when you pull it and you'll unlock the last slot. And, yeah, there's no need for unity when all the traditions are completed. Burn all your temples :devil:

Slight counter point here, temples do boost either spiritualist attraction of governing ethic attraction (can't remember which) so they do serve a purpose.

OhGreatAGinger
Oct 10, 2012
What Stellaris really needs is more internal stuff to deal with. Right now my entire attention is focused on making the galaxy one color and there just isn't really anything that can get in my way after a certain point. Unrest feels too easy to manage, factions are a pretty much ignorable

Succession crisis, coups, revolutions, mutiny, political assassinations if you ignore/tick off a faction, a chance of armed uprising if you try to enslave/purge a species, sectors trying to gain independence, cultists accidentally calling forth a cosmic horror/single crisis fleet, rogue geneticist accidentally changing the trait of a pop(s).

Maybe filling a planet with mines/power plants is great for my space wallet but perhaps the population of planet Stripmineous isn't so thrilled that I turned their home into an industrial wasteland and decide to do something about it.

Maybe my xeno-harmony policy of taking in refugees on planet Redneckia dun't sit well with some of my less enlightened citizens and the planet erupts in civil war.

Maybe losing my entire fleet convinces my admirals that new leadership is needed; or a star system(s) decides it'd be better off defending itself.

This game would be a lot more fun if I was almost as afraid of my own subjects as much as I was of alien governments. Basically more like every other Paradox game.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I decided to start a new game as humans and everyone's an rear end in a top hat. Literally all empires I can make contact with are authoritarian militants. Should be interesting. Normally I don't go with military tech right off the bat, but I think I'm gonna have to liberate these lettucemen and cow people.

Also I got the probe event but I can't access one because it's too far to warp, so that'll be interesting.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

I can't wait to see what kind of alien weapons were hidden on this war torn uninhabited hellhole

lmao I went back and they've nuked themselves

Korgan fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Sep 2, 2017

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Kitchner posted:

Slight counter point here, temples do boost either spiritualist attraction of governing ethic attraction (can't remember which) so they do serve a purpose.

Once you've maxed unity changing your governing ethic out of spiritualist is an excellent idea. May as well go all in on science or war (or ugh, peace)

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

Korgan posted:

I can't wait to see what kind of alien weapons were hidden on this war torn uninhabited hellhole

lmao I went back and they've nuked themselves

:allears: I love finding Sol and seeing what the Humans got up to in this timeline. One time they must have spawned as Space-Age primitives inside the borders of a Xenophile Fallen empire. About 50 years into the game those plucky Humans achieved FTL travel and my Migratory Flock took them under our wing and secured hyperlane access to the last un-colonized spiral arm in the galaxy.

I know if you take the Syncretic Evolution civic and start on Earth your proles will be Neo-Chimps as if the Humans won in Planet of the Apes; has anyone seen primitive Earths with that? Can it even work since pre-FTL civs usually have custom civics?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
So, story of the Stratum Empyrean.

Lesson #1: DO NOT. I REPEAT DO NOT CHOOSE loving WORMHOLES IF YOU ALSO CHOOSE A RING GALAXY, BECAUSE YOU MIGHT END UP TRAPPED IN THE loving MIDDLE AND I SUPPOSE YOU CAN'T FUCKINGGODDAMNSHIT DEVELOP WORMHOLE TECHNOLOGY TO THE POINT WHERE IT CAN CROSS THE DISTANCE

:negative:

Sorry. I've become kind of crazy, cooped up in the middle of the galaxy while all the action is happening elsewhere.

See, I spawned as your general military dictatorship, with my race being total caste system assholes to the point where they enslaved their own species gleefully. In fact, I made them Non-adaptive, Conformist, Cold-Hearted, Arrogant, metal-shifters in full expectation that I was just basically going to be a more rear end in a top hat version of the Roman Empire, ruling the galaxy with an iron hand. I had played only pacifists or traders before you see, so I was looking forward to some major fighting.

Now, I don't have any screenshots of the early days because I honestly didn't expect this crazy poo poo to happen. This was supposed to be the easy playthrough. I even had the perfect set-up, only two intelligent races to contend with, it seemed, in my own peaceful isolated part of the galaxy. At this point I had no idea that wormholes were this limited, having usually played hyperspace.

My neighbors were the peaceful federation builders, Scyldari and the fanatic purifiers, Yabnudians. who were roughly divided in two in an easy war (two simultaneous wars with me annexing parts of them, Scyldari vassalizing their part). All seemed to be going great, with a non-hostile enemy and a slave race that allowed me to abolish the caste system among my own people, giving me some extra happiness.

Then the Scyldari happened to run into these lovely guys...meet Galactic Bad Boys #1, the Ideedan Reclaimers.

:

Lesson #2: If you do get trapped in an un-navigable part of the galaxy, don't for the love of all that is holy in the universe get trapped there with an Awakened loving Fanatic Xenophobe Empire

Lesson #3: Oh gently caress. Or Jesus gently caress. Well hope that it is going to end up in a War in Heaven soon with another Awakened Empire.

Lesson #4: WHAT THE gently caress DO YOU MEAN IT IS THE ONLY loving AWAKENED EMPIRE IN THE GALAXY?! REALLY FATES?! WHAT ARE THE CHANCES OF SPAWNING ONLY ONE FALLEN EMPIRE?! I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW IT WAS POSSIBLE

Lesson #5: So, how do you feel about sucking alien dick for the next half millenia, you poor piece of poo poo?

Yeah, long story short, they wiped out the Scyldari in two wars, and I conquered two Scyldari planets (including one with a race that had just reached space age, Suritama) in a backstab war and loving pressed that Thrall button as soon as they finished with their last war. I think the Scyldari aren't too pissed off considering that the Ideedans literally murdered every single Scyldari/Yabnudian they could get their hands on, leaving the Yabnudians a significant minority in my empire, and the Scyldari/Suritama few lovely percentage points whereas before the population of the former had way exceeded mine.

So, now I was forced to give a fourth of everything I make to these alien fucks, and I could conquer nothing more because I couldn'T REACH THE REST OF THE loving GALAXY

So, only thing left to do. Make most of what I got. And I couldn't do that with a third of my empire in constant revolts so Yabnudians got emancipated by Space Lincoln without anyone firing a shot. Since I couldn't even count on the rest of the galaxy taking down the Reclaimers since after they had just completed Space Holocaust they just did loving NOTHING AT ALL SINCE THAT, except building a big-rear end loving fleet that grew by every century to frankly ridiculous proportions

At this point they hit some sort of cap. my fleet was about 80K in strength.

I spent the next centuries building everything that was possible to build, choosing the most reckless options in every anomaly, giving every fleshbag at least resident rights, uplifting a species that I first thought just to wipe out to get my hands on their planet so I could benefit from the extra pop growth, building massive numbers of Synthetics so I could have my slaves without worrying about revolts, getting the megastructures as soon as possible...

And now I am ready. I'm on like my fifth Dyson Sphere/Star Lifter thing. An event turned everyone into my capital to a super-intelligent pacifistic (still rear end in a top hat version) A third of my population worshiips the Worm that Waits and I am pretty sure they are plotting something since I see Loop Institutes and Spiral Feed Power Ups pop up in places I directly control. I have a machine slave army just waiting to revolt at some point. A good half of my population is space-borne in a mass of habitats, of which I directly control 20+. Only a small fraction of anyone in my empire adheres to my original ethics since all I've been doing is spamming industry and being eternally at peace. I'm putting up science everywhere I can, getting my technology up to the levels of the Awakened Empire.

All the while paying the Ideedans more poo poo then most empires make in a month, watching other races go way past me in technology and size,

None of that matters. When I get up to like 2000+ minerals a month, I am going to build the biggest loving fleet the galaxy has ever seen, and I am going to genocide the Ideedan Reclaimers

so

loving

hard

that they're going to have to add an entire new-wing to space Hell.

Maybe I keep a small fraction of them alive and transform them into mockeries of what they used to be and have them grow my food or some poo poo for eternity. Maybe I'll turn them into Soylent Green so I can fill all those planets they won't be occupying. I've had a long time to dream about what I do to these motherfuckers. A shitload of time.

I don't even give a poo poo about the rest of the galaxy, fanatic purifier space butterflies have eaten up like one sixth of the galaxy, the two next powerful ones are politically opposed but banded together just not to get eaten by the butterfly Blood Court, and like four races have become more powerful then the Ideedans, uh the Unbidden appeared at some point:

None of that matters. By the time I am done with those loving Ideedans, they're all going to stop and say "dude, chill out, drat"

this has been the most frustrated I have ever been playing a game

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Sep 3, 2017

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Don't worry, you'll eventually get jump drives, if only from looting the smoldering wreckage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

The game really needs a these are NOT FUN pop-up before you select wormholes.

• Locked thread