Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

muscles like this! posted:

Then he did a joke ending (to I think issue #100?) where Rick wakes up in a room with all the dead main characters who are cyborgs and they team up to fight the aliens (and also the comic is in color.)

Wasn't that just a variant cover to #50?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

They did both. Readers who had been trade-reading and not familiar with the story from the letters pages of the singles were really confused by that joke ending.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

TwoPair posted:

You're right that there probably isn't a shadow war at Marvel between writers and editorial. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that there isn't any impact to having Nextwave be canon but maybe people are just happy because a mini they liked is being referenced after they were previously told it wasn't canon. I know you hate Nextwave with a passion so maybe this concept just makes no sense, but substitute Nextwave for an enjoyable mini of your choosing and decide whether or not it would bring you a modicum of happiness seeing it referenced in a "main" book.
I enjoyed Nextwave but I don't get the obsession over whether it's canon or not. For one thing, the focus on whether stories "matter" or not is kind of harmful to comics in general. The other side of it is that I don't think most books would benefit from The Captain or Dirk Anger showing up, unless they were also kind of straight up comedy books.

muscles like this! posted:

IIRC he lied to them and said that the whole thing was going to build to an alien invasion story.
I don't think it really matters what Kirkman told Image considering they simply publish the book and have no real say over what happens in it.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Sep 1, 2017

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

irlZaphod posted:

I enjoyed Nextwave but I don't get the obsession over whether it's canon or not.
I figure it's the funny book equivalent of how (insert sci fi TV show that wasn't a 90s Star Trek) was screwed by the network. Or the motive that drove people to share around the Star Wars Holiday Special.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

irlZaphod posted:

I don't think it really matters what Kirkman told Image considering they simply publish the book and have no real say over what happens in it.
I think it kind of does. They do some vetting on what they publish before they publish it.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Jordan7hm posted:

I think it kind of does. They do some vetting on what they publish before they publish it.
They don't decline stuff based on the genre or type of story though. If you submit a lovely pitch which doesn't meet their standards, it'll go straight in the bin.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

irlZaphod posted:

They don't decline stuff based on the genre or type of story though. If you submit a lovely pitch which doesn't meet their standards, it'll go straight in the bin.

Yeah but if they don't want straight super hero stories right now that's probably what they consider a lovely pitch. Quality isn't in a vacuum.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Jordan7hm posted:

Yeah but if they don't want straight super hero stories right now that's probably what they consider a lovely pitch. Quality isn't in a vacuum.
lol what

Quality is subjective, sure, but I doubt they want straight-up super hero stories ever. This is getting a bit away from the point though that it doesn't matter whether or not Kirkman told Image that he was going to introduce aliens into the Walking Dead but didn't because Image don't really care about that too much, nor do they have any control over it.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Image in 2003 (when Walking Dead started) and Image in 2017 (or 1993) are different companies and have different standards/processes I'm guessing. Image doesn't just rubber stamp books you want to publish through them, though there are probably exceptions for partners or some proven commodity like Brubaker/Phillips. Kirkman would have had to have pitched Walking Dead (and Invincible, and etc.) to someone at Image, given the timeframe probably Jim Valentino or Erik Larsen. Once you're going they don't edit or censor or do anything to your book (see also: Howard Chaykin!) but they have to sign off on Howard Chaykin's idea, though he might be given a rubberstamp too. Kirkman in 2003 wasn't getting rubber stamped.

Here's a link to the books that Image put out the same month as Walking Dead #1

http://www.cbr.com/image-comics-solicitations-for-product-shipping-october-2003/

Aside from Walking Dead, aside from most of these books being completely forgotten, everything sort of fit into a few categories:

Superheroes: They still had Spawn/Savage Dragon/Witchblade going, plus Invincible and Noble Causes and some other stuff
Sci-Fi/Fantasy: Most of these are forgotten but there sure are a lot of pseudo-Vertigo books about demon detectives and "Frankenstein Mobster" and "the sword of Dracula" and cyberpunk robot fighters from Neo-Tokyo style books
Licensed Books: They were doing a bunch of GI Joe/Transformers/Battle of the Planets/Hedge Knight/Tomb Raider books too

Pulling up the rear are a few crime books, probably because Jinx and later Powers did pretty well, and there was a sort of "crime comics are hot!" trend in the early 2000s.

There's no zombie stuff, or anything that's sort of real "horror" as opposed to "Dracula, but young and buff and with a sword fighting cyberbats!" and compared to today a pretty narrow band of things that seemed "marketable". Saying it starts off as zombies but then goes sci-fi sounds like the first issue pitch of half of these books. I don't think it's unreasonable looking at the market and what Image was greenlighting in 2003 and seeing them go "I don't see the market for a survival horror zombie book". I also can totally believe Kirkman read the landscape and went "no no, it's zombies that lead into a sci-fi/zombie mashup!" and that sealed the deal.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Sep 1, 2017

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Edge & Christian posted:

Image in 2003 (when Walking Dead started) and Image in 2017 (or 1993) are different companies and have different standards/processes I'm guessing.

An understatement for sure, considering Kirkman is now its Chief Operating Officer and a partner in the company.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Edge & Christian posted:

Here's a link to the books that Image put out the same month as Walking Dead #1

http://www.cbr.com/image-comics-solicitations-for-product-shipping-october-2003/

Any month that had an Age of Bronze issue published is a good month.

Lurdiak posted:

Aw, come on. No need to bring the room down.

There is because I hate the Walking Dead and Robert Kirkman a lot. :getin:

I mean yeah the comics industry is built on the backs of screwed over creators but it's especially odious to me when a generation of creators who witnessed the rise of Image first hand (or directly participated in it) decide to become the screwers themselves. How hard would it have been to throw Moore some cash? Dude was a goddamn childhood friend for gently caress's sake.

Like say what you want about Mark Millar for example, and I'll probably be there with you saying the same stuff, but I'm pretty sure he doesn't actively gently caress over his collaborators.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 1, 2017

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011

Lightning Lord posted:

I mean yeah the comics industry is built on the backs of screwed over creators but it's especially odious to me when a generation of creators who witnessed the rise of Image first hand (or directly participated in it) decide to become the screwers themselves. How hard would it have been to throw Moore some cash? Dude was a goddamn childhood friend for gently caress's sake.

Like say what you want about Mark Millar for example, and I'll probably be there with you saying the same stuff, but I'm pretty sure he doesn't actively gently caress over his collaborators.

I feel what you're saying but I think you picked a pretty bad example in Mark Millar if Grant Morrison is to be believed.

Personally I find The Walking Dead dispute particularly egregious since the only reason I ever started reading it was because a poster on this very forum had one of Moore's covers as an avatar. It looked so cool I just had to know what it was from.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lightning Lord posted:

I don't know if it's actually true, but according to interviews Mark Millar makes sure the artists of his books get half the money for everything, so JRJR got as much off the Kickass films as Millar, as did whoever drew Kingsmen and Wanted, assuming Millar wasn't lying.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I hear Kirkman's bitter that Tony Moore did his usual thing of drawing a few issues and moving on to some other thing.

There's certainly no doubt that if Moore had remained the artist on TWD it'd be a much prettier comic.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mister Nobody posted:

I feel what you're saying but I think you picked a pretty bad example in Mark Millar if Grant Morrison is to be believed.

Personally I find The Walking Dead dispute particularly egregious since the only reason I ever started reading it was because a poster on this very forum had one of Moore's covers as an avatar. It looked so cool I just had to know what it was from.

I don't think we'll ever know the full story behind Mark Millar and Grant Morrison's falling out, but with what little we do know I don't think it's about money.

Morrison really loving hates Millar though.

quote:

There’s a very good chance of running into him, and I hope I’m going 100 miles an hour when it happens.

Morrison and Alan Moore also despise each other apparently, and all three of them seem to get along good with Warren Ellis, so if it's a personality thing I think it might be Grant Morrison's fault.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

The Morrison/Millar thing is less about money and more about Morrison very specifically taking Millar under his wing as a protege of sorts. Like, Millar literally met and interviewed Morrison for a fanzine when Millar was a teenager and asked Morrison for help breaking into the industry. Morrison set him up with some of his first pro work in the UK, and his first 2000AD work was co-written with Morrison.

His first Big Two comic work was co-writing Swamp Thing with Grant Morrison for six issues and then Millar took over for the remainder of the run with the self-professed input/advice/assistance of Morrison. His next American project was Skrull Kill Krew, also co-written by Morrison. He went on to co-write Aztek, Flash, and various JLA stories alongside Morrison, and when he got his first big solo break taking over the Authority, Morrison claims he was effectively co-writing the book for no credit/money alongside him, and ended up getting credited for writing an issue solo when Millar was ill. Though I think Millar denies it, Morrison also claims he gave Millar a lot of story beats for his early Ultimate X-Men/Ultimates work, and I think they both admit the ending and other elements of Red Son were Morrison's.

Morrison's never talked about details I don't think, but he's referred to the schism as Millar like this:

quote:

When he got the Authority book, his star started to rise, and at that point, he felt he was in my shadow and he had to get out, and the way to get out was to do this fairly uncool split. It was quite hard, I felt, but he had to make his own way, and he was in denial that I'd been there, because I saw a lot of his work had been plotted or devised, even dialogue suggestions were done by me right up until the point of The Ultimates. It was seen by him as a dimunition of his position, even though it wasn't, I was quite proud of him as a mentor.
And also said it was something that made him question his belief in the inherent goodness of human nature, so who knows? Both Morrison's Happy and Mark Waid's Insufferable are basically written about their falling out, at least metaphorically.

I think it's pretty different than the Moore/Morrison thing, which was essentially *Morrison* being the teenage journalist poo poo-talking Moore more or less to get attention/garner controversy for his zine, at the time he'd more or less admit that Moore's a good writer but put on too much of a pedestal. Moore heard about this and dismissed Morrison out of hand, and over the past thirty years Moore has continued to more or less deny the existence/worth of Morrison full stop. I am not even sure if the two of them have spoken ever, so I don't know if Morrison's personality could have that much to do with it outside of interviews, I guess?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Skwirl posted:

Morrison and Alan Moore also despise each other apparently, and all three of them seem to get along good with Warren Ellis, so if it's a personality thing I think it might be Grant Morrison's fault.

Yeah Moore's so well known for being easy to get along with

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Edge & Christian posted:

I think it's pretty different than the Moore/Morrison thing, which was essentially *Morrison* being the teenage journalist poo poo-talking Moore more or less to get attention/garner controversy for his zine, at the time he'd more or less admit that Moore's a good writer but put on too much of a pedestal. Moore heard about this and dismissed Morrison out of hand, and over the past thirty years Moore has continued to more or less deny the existence/worth of Morrison full stop. I am not even sure if the two of them have spoken ever, so I don't know if Morrison's personality could have that much to do with it outside of interviews, I guess?

I read in an interview that Morrison also had the idea that Moore intervened with Dez Skinn to prevent him from taking over Miracleman when Moore quit that book. Not much basis as far as I'm aware because I think Gaiman was always Moore's recommendation to take over from him anyway. He also said he disliked being treated as someone had been following in Moore's footsteps and was keen to point out that he had work published a few months before Moore did in 1979 or so.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Edge & Christian posted:

Short answer: yes.

Longer answer: In 1985 Marvel was doing fairly well, and were owned by a company called Cadence Industries who went to Jim Shooter and essentially suggested in honor of their 25th Anniversary in 1986, and because DC was getting some mainstream attention for Crisis on Infinite Earths, Marvel should do some sort of big event where they cancel everything, reboot the universe, and start fresh with a new Spider-Man #1, X-Men #1, Captain America #1. It was basically the same pitch that actually worked about twenty-five years later for the Ultimate Universe, except that in 2000 they didn't cancel the regular line to do it.

Jim Shooter did not like this idea, so he counter-pitched keeping the Marvel Universe running as it was, but instead to launch a NEW Universe that was in the spirit of the 1960s Lee/Kirby/Ditko books, where the story started right in 1986 without aliens or secret civilizations or any sort of complicated backstory, just "relevant" heroes doing realistic stuff that happened in real time. The then-VP of Marvel signed off on this about a year out, and they started doing mysterious hype ads for it.

Meanwhile Cadence Industries went bankrupt and sold Marvel off to (coincidentally) a company called New World Pictures. This was all happening right as Shooter and some editors were starting to do kind of a cattle call of "top creators" to pitch titles for The New Universe. Basically between conception and the final solicitations Shooter says that the budget to "develop" the New Universe went from $120,000 to under $20,000 and consequently they couldn't hire anyone particularly popular or good, and also the lead time to really put things together shrank as they kept being told to scale things back or hold off on this or that as the sale went through and the budget kept shrinking.

But still, almost a year out they had hyped that THE NEW UNIVERSE WAS COMING and they had to do something. So they did the New Universe books that you actually came out, which were generally pretty lovely. They were also mostly written (allegedly for no pay) by Shooter and other editors, and the art was mostly people who either already worked for Marvel in production or people pulled off of the slush pile of submissions that no 'real' books snapped up. Granted, this means that you get some (very, very) early artwork by Todd McFarlane, Ron Lim, Mark Texiera, Whilce Portacio, Lee Weeks, and others. It also was the first real writing work some staffers like Fabian Nicieza and Peter David got, too.

But in general, the New Universe was thrown together with no money as an afterthought by mostly names no one knew or cared about after a year of enormous hype, and it bombed badly. It probably played a significant role in Jim Shooter being forced out of Marvel in 1987, at which point John Byrne gleefully took a paycut to take over Star Brand (the ostensible flagship line of the Universe) which Shooter had written, and immediately have the semi-Shooter-self-insert character gently caress up and nuke his/Shooter's hometown of Pittsburgh, which led to a bunch of weird stuff that led to them shuttering the whole line about a year later.

So being underfunded and thrown together mortally wounded the New Universe, but John Byrne being a vindictive prick probably was the killing blow.

Not content to take over Star Brand and blow up Pittsburgh, John Byrne also took a gratuitous shot at Shooter in DC's 1987 Legends miniseries, too.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Retro Futurist posted:

Yeah Moore's so well known for being easy to get along with

He is, actually.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Johns probably doesn't much care for him. And Jason Aaron had some not so nice words for him.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Getting mad at stuff he says in interviews is pretty different from saying he sucks to be around, which is what I thought we were talking about.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Lurdiak posted:

Getting mad at stuff he says in interviews is pretty different from saying he sucks to be around, which is what I thought we were talking about.
He's by no means some sort of raving lunatic rear end in a top hat, but Moore's had fallings out with almost every editor/publisher he's worked with, though many (but not all) were not really his fault. I seem to recall he wasn't on speaking terms with Dave Gibbons for awhile, possibly to this day, because he didn't feel sufficiently thanked for letting him take all of the Watchmen movie royalties.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I don't know what he expected, but Dave Gibbons is probably the nicest comic pro I've ever met.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Can someome talk about Avengers West Coast to me? I'm under the impression its where all of the Vision/Scarlet Witch and Hawkeye/Mocking Bird development came from.

Are they good comics? Important? They seem like a complete blindspot on Marvel Unlimited, is it avaible digitally anywhere?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Avengers West Coast was my preferred Avengers growing up. There's a few issues on MU but not many. I'm not sure they're available anywhere. I haven't read any in god knows how long so I'd love for them to be put up there but I'm not holding my breath.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Can someome talk about Avengers West Coast to me? I'm under the impression its where all of the Vision/Scarlet Witch and Hawkeye/Mocking Bird development came from.

Are they good comics? Important? They seem like a complete blindspot on Marvel Unlimited, is it avaible digitally anywhere?

The art was really, really bad for the first few years. There were some darn good comics in there, though. There was one super-fun series where they kept having time-travel shenanigans and each issue split up into more divergent storylines than the one before. And yeah, Hawkeye and Mockingbird started off married and wound up divorced because Clint had his head up his rear end about some poo poo that went down during an adventure. (Mockingbird was brainwashed and abused by the old Ghost Rider, and she let his rear end fall off a cliff. Frankly, he got off easy.) Then John Byrne came along and got Wanda started on the road to crazytown that she's been stuck on ever since. Some very good and interesting comics in there, sez I, but I'm not the world's best judge.

Oh yeah, and John Byrne hosed Vision over pretty hard, too. A real shame, that whole situation.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The entire run was collected in two omnibuses some years ago. Probably both out of print now. Wouldn't be surprised if WCA was added to the Epic Collection line in the future, though.

Most of the run (about 40 out of 70 or so issues) is written by Steve Englehart and it's the best part of it. The remainder was written first by John Byrne during his big return to Marvel after he left DC in 1989 and it's a pretty notorious case of a writer getting up on their soapbox about how certain characters should be written, while the last handful of issues were by Roy and Dann Thomas.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
It had moon knight in it for a good 20 issues or so so it wasn't that bad...

(oh wait, it had Tigra just getting it on with everyone)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ferrule posted:

(oh wait, it had Tigra just getting it on with everyone)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJlU_d186TU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

WCA is also home to weird poo poo like Master Pandemonium, the demonologist villain who has babies for hands. The babies are also the children of the Scarlet Witch and Vision, who are also Wiccan and Speed from Young Avengers.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lightning Lord posted:

WCA is also home to weird poo poo like Master Pandemonium, the demonologist villain who has babies for hands. The babies are also the children of the Scarlet Witch and Vision, who are also Wiccan and Speed from Young Avengers.

MP might be terrible here but Jason Aaron spun gold with him during his Ghost Rider run.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
is that the one where his hands that are babies were bullying him and trying to drown him in his cereal

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Rhyno posted:

MP might be terrible here but Jason Aaron spun gold with him during his Ghost Rider run.

What of what I said implies that I think the Master is terrible? On the contrary. There's some sketchiness in the Englehart WCA stuff but from memory it doesn't get full on awful until Byrne comes aboard to do his usual demolition job. Actually I think it might be the first example of him writing with a grudge towards a fictional character. Aaron also used him in Doctor Strange btw

One of the first comics I ever read came out of the WCA stuff, it was the issue of Solo Avengers where Moon Knight fights the Shroud in Strahd von Zarovich's castle from D&D, who then tries to recruit him for a team of supernaturals that includes Jack Russell, evil jugglers, the greatest jobbers ever (the Brothers Grimm) and a guy with a shovel.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Sep 6, 2017

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

quite stretched out posted:

is that the one where his hands that are babies were bullying him and trying to drown him in his cereal

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I think Avengers was the first comic where Byrne's "FRAMERS INTENT" bullshit really reared its ugly head. I'm not sure if it was because he was so proud that he got to MODERNIZE THE FANTASTIC FOUR *AND* SUPERMAN FOR THE 1980s or if he just got cranky but practically every big two project he's done since West Coast Avengers is basically built solely on "the only true version of any character is the one the creators debuted in the first issue and any hack fanboy writers since then who have come along since then have perverted the creators' legacy and as the one true heir to Jack Kirby no one else can know what that intent truly is so if I change things it's okay"!

Which is why his West Coast Avengers basically reverses everyone and their brother's (literally) characterization along the lines of...

- Vision was an unemotional scary robot in his first appearance, why isn't he that now? FRAMERS INTENT
- Also Vision wasn't built out of Jim Hammond's robot body in his first appearance, and he isn't now! FRAMERS INTENT
- Also Scarlet Witch and Vision having kids? NOPE
- Also Scarlet Witch was Magneto's lackey in the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants in her first appearances, along with Quicksilver, so you best believe they will be again!
- What do you MEAN Magneto isn't an evil leader of the Brotherhood anymore? He definitely is now, motherfuckers!
- Also Hawkeye is a hotheaded guy not cut out to lead poo poo because that's what he was thirty years ago, plus USAgent is a real jingoist racist rear end in a top hat because I respect Mark Gruenwald's writing in 1987 but not this Mark Gruenwald rear end in a top hat's perversion of Mark Gruenwald's character in 1988-1989

He got more explicit with it in later books, but it was just a wrecking ball in West Coast Avengers considering he was on the book for less than two years. He also made Tigra inexplicably go feral and incapable of speech or complex thought, shrunk her down to the size of a kitten, then had her run off into the woods, never to be seen again in his first issue. Which probably pleased at least a few people in this thread.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

There's tons of that poo poo in his issues of Marvel Two-in-One. They're also the only lovely issues of Marvel Two-in-One.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
That sounds oddly specifically like that one really bad She-Hulk arc where Slott had her literally run around with a Handbook of the Marvel Universe, correcting continuity errors and saying that anything that had happened in other books that Slott didn't agree with had actually been done by dopplegangers visiting from alternate universes, so that from now on if something out of character happens, you know it's because some A-hole idiot couldn't be bothered to read their handbook, doh hoh hoh hoh hoh.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Since we're on the subject of Byrne being a dick please recall that not very long after Kirby's passing, Byrne made a big scene about how he was being pressured into "picking up the mantle" that Jack had left vacant. And I don't recall who it was but another creator at the panel said "Nobody is talking about that except you John." And he then sat in silent rage for the remainder of the panel.

It was wonderful.

Edit: By "not long" i guess it was actually close to three years since this would have been in 1997 or 1998.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

CapnAndy posted:

That sounds oddly specifically like that one really bad She-Hulk arc where Slott had her literally run around with a Handbook of the Marvel Universe, correcting continuity errors and saying that anything that had happened in other books that Slott didn't agree with had actually been done by dopplegangers visiting from alternate universes, so that from now on if something out of character happens, you know it's because some A-hole idiot couldn't be bothered to read their handbook, doh hoh hoh hoh hoh.

It's Dan Slott so I dunno but that might have been a joke based on how Byrne made every occurrence of Dr Doom doing anything bad or being defeated into a Doombot, an earlier example of his continuity cop tendencies actually

Rhyno posted:

Since we're on the subject of Byrne being a dick please recall that not very long after Kirby's passing, Byrne made a big scene about how he was being pressured into "picking up the mantle" that Jack had left vacant. And I don't recall who it was but another creator at the panel said "Nobody is talking about that except you John." And he then sat in silent rage for the remainder of the panel.

It was wonderful.

Edit: By "not long" i guess it was actually close to three years since this would have been in 1997 or 1998.

gently caress him