Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Risky Bisquick posted:

Chase stopped issuing them

chase is leaving the canadian market. they sold most of their cards to scotiabank but are still operating the amazon cards (and the marriot card they offered?). it'll probably get sold off as soon as whatever agreement they have with amazon expires

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Aw heck. They'd better not take away free foreign exchange. That was my whole reason for getting one.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I received more information about my grandfather's estate.

Apparently the will is going into probate court this week. From what I've read online this could take between days to weeks to months, though my grandfather lived in a relatively rural part of Ontario (about an hour away from Ottawa) and not Toronto.

What exactly happens during probate court? After it's done, does distribution take place?

Also, while looking online, I found that Nova Scotia requires ads to be taken out in the Royal Gazette for six months before anything can happen. What is that about?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

If it's going into probate in Ontario why would it be needed to be entered into the Royal Gazette in Nova Scotia? Even if you live in Nova Scotia, it's not your estate.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Ccs posted:

If it's going into probate in Ontario why would it be needed to be entered into the Royal Gazette in Nova Scotia? Even if you live in Nova Scotia, it's not your estate.

I think he just found an example of a probate going on in nova scotia.

Professor Shark posted:

Also, while looking online, I found that Nova Scotia requires ads to be taken out in the Royal Gazette for six months before anything can happen. What is that about?

That advert is to advertise the person is dead and that anyone that might have claims to their estate to contact the aforementioned lawyer or person to arrange the estate. I think that advertisement business is only for people that die with no wills.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah I just came across it and wondered why it was done, thanks for the explanation. Also, I found a website that went through the process of probate in depth!

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Hahaha, loving Simplii. Think it may be time to switch banks. Are any of the big banks decent assuming I can keep the minimum amount to not pay fees?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Demon_Corsair posted:

Hahaha, loving Simplii. Think it may be time to switch banks. Are any of the big banks decent assuming I can keep the minimum amount to not pay fees?

Just curious what about simplii is making you want to switch? It seems like other than losing loblaws stores for ATMs and getting more targeted ad stuff from CIBC this is pretty much status quo.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Why would you switch to full service banking if you were fine with tele/online banking?

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Guest2553 posted:

How long does it take before RESP grant money is received? That's something I haven't been able to find on the internets.

I've actually been told it depends on the time of the year. If you're requesting it in August like everyone else, then it can be up to 30 business days.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I've decided to pull my money out of WealthSimple. :stare:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
LOL that they're calling it "halal". Is "sharia compliant" too edgy for white bread old stock canadians? Is "sukuk" too close to sucky sucky or something

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

TD and CIBC use "halal", too.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
Rime what does it matter if they offer other investment options on the side?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I'm not sure if that's only offensive to prejudiced people or prejudiced people and Islamic people.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
It's so loving stupid. Even the loving British refer to these things as Sharia compliant.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
It's all about money and the TAM guys

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I think that a fintech startup which has to waste time and money on gimmicks like that rather than focusing on their core product, when they are already managing a billion in funds, is probably having internal problems. Yes, a lot of other firms offer the same thing, they don't use such obviously weasel marketing to advertise it.

Coupled with briefly losing a couple grand during my account transfer, 72-hour+ response times for support, and remarkably poor performance every month since I set up my account, I have no confidence in their ability to actually invest my funds rather than milk them.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

You guys are retarded, when a group of sharia terrorists take over the starbucks while I'm in it and start grilling everyone about their investment platforms I'm going to be safe as gently caress

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Rime posted:

I think that a fintech startup which has to waste time and money on gimmicks like that rather than focusing on their core product, when they are already managing a billion in funds, is probably having internal problems. Yes, a lot of other firms offer the same thing, they don't use such obviously weasel marketing to advertise it.

Coupled with briefly losing a couple grand during my account transfer, 72-hour+ response times for support, and remarkably poor performance every month since I set up my account, I have no confidence in their ability to actually invest my funds rather than milk them.

Yeah, totally a gimmick and not at all appealing to the over one million Muslims in Canada, dude.

VelociBacon posted:

You guys are retarded, when a group of sharia terrorists take over the starbucks while I'm in it and start grilling everyone about their investment platforms I'm going to be safe as gently caress

hahahaha

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

I mean this isn't really any different than "Ethical funds." They're just restricting the investments within the mutual fund to exclude anything that isn't "halal."

It sounds overly risky for me, but that's not really fair since I put zero weight into something being halal, but for some people that might be the most important thing.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm thinking about setting up a Savings Account at RBC since the location is more convenient compared to the BMO that I used when I was living at home. Is there anything I need to know about setting one up? They appear to have 3 different types on their website

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Professor Shark posted:

I'm thinking about setting up a Savings Account at RBC since the location is more convenient compared to the BMO that I used when I was living at home. Is there anything I need to know about setting one up? They appear to have 3 different types on their website

Is it just because of the location? Most online banks (Tangerine and Simplii or whatever the gently caress PC Financial is calling itself now) give you much better interest rate without any real effort.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.

mojo1701a posted:

Is it just because of the location? Most online banks (Tangerine and Simplii or whatever the gently caress PC Financial is calling itself now) give you much better interest rate without any real effort.

EQ has been at 2.3% for a while now.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Are you posters leaving a significant amount of your liquid assets in savings accounts? Why not a low risk fund or GIC?

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Kal Torak posted:

EQ has been at 2.3% for a while now.

I just googled them. poo poo, that's pretty good.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

VelociBacon posted:

Are you posters leaving a significant amount of your liquid assets in savings accounts? Why not a low risk fund or GIC?

Liquidity. Having several months worth of expenses in liquid cash and a HELOC gives you piece of mind.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Risky Bisquick posted:

Liquidity. Having several months worth of expenses in liquid cash and a HELOC gives you piece of mind.

Yeah, I think most of us that can are investing anything we can above a few months' cash.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I guess I feel secure enough that I can pull money from a fund within 2 days so any crazy expenses can be put on my credit card and then paid off with that fund money if needed, and it's still earning me more than it would in a bank account.

E: or are you guys hedging against some huge event where you'd be unable to rapidly liquefy your investments reliably like a disaster or global financial collapse?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Two business days, but yeah, I reason the same way.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Say you die, your spouse (or vice-versa) doesn't need to worry about waiting for ADD payouts, or how the bills get paid until the estate cash clears. Say you get laid off, and can't find work for some time. 6 months of cash goes an incredibly long way in combination with responsible credit use.

2 Business days to liquidate funds held in canadian dollars perhaps. Otherwise you'd want to norbits gambit your US held monies, which takes time to clear. Or maybe you hate money, and use the bank rates for some reason to get your US currency.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You can use the bank rate to get a week's worth of money and the norbit the rest.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Speaking of norbit do you guys just use DLR(U)?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

mojo1701a posted:

It's because of location, I want to be able to easily visit and have them do stuff for me that I can probably do online but would probably gently caress up somehow

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

VelociBacon posted:

Yep, do it every few months with Questrade and it's been smooth so far.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

VelociBacon posted:

I use RY. With DLR, at least on Investorline, you need a phone call for the journaling to work - not so with RY.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah, I generally use RY or TD, neither of which I hold directly otherwise (for better or for worse).

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Looking at a few resources online I've found funeral home sites that claim that probate can take years, if not decades. Some of the Canadian sites I've looked at appear to simply copy & paste this information from American sites, where I assume that might be true, as I've found approximate times for Toronto that suggest probate can go as long as 5 months. Most advise against putting your beneficiaries through probate.

My question, separate from my previous one about what to do when getting a Savings Account, is: do funeral homes have a vested interest in estates not having to go through probate? Does it encourage more spending on funerals if money is closer at hand?

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
i'm not sure how many goons would be affected by this, but i think this would be the appropriate thread for this:

quote:

Equifax says 100,000 Canadians possibly affected by cyberattack

Equifax Canada says approximately 100,000 Canadian consumers may have had their personal information and credit card details compromised in the massive cyberattack on the credit data company made public earlier this month.

The company said Tuesday the investigation is ongoing and it appears that the breached data may have included names, addresses, social insurance numbers and, in limited cases, credit card numbers.

"We apologize to Canadian consumers who have been impacted by this incident," Lisa Nelson, president and general manager of Equifax Canada, said in a statement.

Rob Carrick: A $500,000 lesson in how to fight identity theft

"We understand it has also been frustrating that Equifax Canada has been unable to provide clarity on who was impacted until the investigation is complete."

Equifax Canada has provided information to MasterCard and VISA about Canadians whose credit card details may have been compromised, for communication to the financial institutions involved, the company said in an update on its Canadian website. The financial institutions will communicate the information with its clients, it added.

The company said Tuesday that hackers accessed Equifax Inc.'s systems through a consumer website application intended for use by U.S. consumers. The hackers obtained access to files containing the personal information of some Canadian consumers through the interface, Equifax Canada said.

"Equifax Canada can confirm that Canadian systems are not affected," the company said on its Canadian website. "We have found no evidence of unauthorized activity on Equifax's core consumer or commercial credit reporting databases,". "Equifax Canada systems and platforms are entirely separated from those impacted by the Equifax Inc. cybersecurity incident widely reported in the U.S."

On Sept. 7, Equifax announced that on July 29 it discovered a data breach that may have compromised the personal information of 143 million Americans and an undisclosed number of Canadian and U.K. residents. The company said last week that fewer than 400,000 U.K. individuals may have had some of their personal information compromised, but the scope was more limited and unlikely to lead to identity theft.

But Equifax, which collects data about consumers' credit histories and provides credit checks to a variety of companies, had been tight-lipped about the impact of the cyberattack in Canada.

Canada's privacy watchdog announced last Friday that it was probing the data breach.

Equifax said Tuesday that it will be sending mailed notices directly to Canadians who have been impacted in the cyberhack outlining the steps they should take. It is also offering Canadians whose data was put at risk free credit monitoring and identity theft protection for the next 12 months, a service offered to U.S. residents on the day the cyberattack was first announced.

While the credit data company has set up a dedicated website where U.S. residents can check whether they have been affected, it is set up for American Social Security Numbers and does not work for Canadians.

The company is now facing investigations in Canada and the U.S. At least two proposed class actions have been filed in Canada and many more in the U.S. against Equifax in connection with the data breach.

The company's call centre staff in Canada have told callers that only Canadians that have credit files in the U.S. were likely to be impacted, such as individuals who may have lived or worked south of the border. But the Office of the Privacy Commissioner has said that, at this point, it is not clear that the affected data was limited to Canadians with U.S. dealings.

The cyberattack occurred through a vulnerability in an open-source application framework it uses called Apache Struts. The United States Computer Readiness team detected and disclosed the vulnerability in March, and Equifax "took efforts to identify and to patch any vulnerable systems in the company's IT infrastructure." Last Friday, Equifax announced that its chief information officer and chief security officer were retiring, effective immediately.

Equifax's investigation thus far shows that hackers had unauthorized access to its files from May 13 to July 30. Equifax Canada says it is working closely with its parent company Equifax Inc. and an unnamed, independent cybersecurity conducting the ongoing investigation.

As of yet I've not seen any publicly available information that speaks to the extent and specifics of how Canadians are impacted, other than what's reported above.

Other interesting stuff about Equifax that you might've heard about : 142 million Americans affected. Extent of personal information (PI) breached includes names, addresses, SSNs, credit card numbers. Shortly after the breach was discovered internally, three high level executives sold off a significant number of their shares. Equifax Argentina has a service provider who had 'admin' as the username and password. The same service provider's employees were commonly using a combination of the first initial of their first name coupled with their full last name as login IDs.

TL;DR Equifax is dumb and be on the lookout for a letter for more details. If you've ever applied for credit in the US, there's a significant chance you're impacted. Even if you've had no dealings with the US, it's possible based on the limited information given that you might still be impacted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

More of a legal question, but can the executor of a will in Ontario delegate that to someone else? I'm the executor of someone's will, but in the event I might want to get a firm to do it more smoothly.