Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Illiterate Clitoris
Oct 24, 2011

chocoTaco advocates zeroing. Are you better than chocoTaco?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

Maybe more manly and reckless, gently caress the training wheels, I love trying to lob shots.

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."
Oh god why am I so loving bad at finding scopes. Every fucker I kill seems to have one so I feel like I'm being dumb here. I've found like a couple of 2x ones so far and that's it.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Nevvy Z posted:

Can someone explain to me how all that relates to the 'range' on each gun referred to here:

Because i still don't loving understand that bit. I assume each marker is 100m? Do bullets just disappear after they hit their effective range, lose damage?

There is some damage drop-off but it's not some arbitrary nonsense distance where the bullets suddenly start doing half damage or disappear, the 5.56 weapons stop being able to oneshot players without helmets at something like 100m(they do just enough to OHK at full damage/close range) and I haven't seen testing done at longer ranges where they actually put out numbers, only borderline useless stuff like the jackfrags mythbusters video where they count the number of hits to kill.

But generally the range damage dropoff seems like it doesn't matter outside of edge-cases where certain thresholds are crossed and a one hit kill turns into a 2 hit kill at an extreme range.

You can get a decent look at what those might be by having a look at the damage chart that gets used in the discord:

Damage values that are only a couple of points just over 100, 50, 33, 25, 20, at longer ranges will take an extra bullet to kill someone, for 5.56 headshots that range is 100m(going off a months old jackfrags video), for other guns/bullet types or extreme ranges meaning it's +2 shots I couldn't tell you, we'll just have to wait for someone with custom games to do the testing.

Parallel Playa posted:

Zeroing at any distance is great, what are you talking about? The only requirement zeroing has is that you need to be good at estimating distances. If you are, there's literally no downside to using it constantly.

I find that it's less hassle most of the time to just aim up slightly. :shrug:
I've got something like 600 hours in Arma 2, so I'm not stranger to zeroing, but I'm also used to accounting for bullet drop when taking shots and in my experience ranging adjustments of only 100-200m at such short ranges aren't neccessary. Chocotaco is a very good player and it no doubt works for him, but for other less good players I feel like it's somehow overusing zeroing that will have people relying too much on hoping they got the right distance to keep things in the middle of their screen instead of learning how to deal with bullet drop and travel time together.

I see it more as a crutch that I'm concerned will help players land shots on stationary targets while not really being able to deal with medium-long distance moving targets so much.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

set everything to max range and carry a shotty imho

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

Hackan Slash posted:

Speaking of setting non standard keybinds, is there a line that will make ADS hold RMB instead of toggle?

you can double tap and hold right click to do that..

zeroing is good

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
shroud is my new favorite streamer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATvRbnyT2eQ

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

FYAD SECRETARY posted:

you can double tap and hold right click to do that..

zeroing is good

I don't want to double tap, I just want to hold

Shayl
Apr 11, 2007

SO uh, I love watching this game on twitch but I'm pretty intimidated by actually playing it. Never have. Should I just get over it and buy the drat thing? How do you adjust as a newbie player other than die constantly?

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao

Shayl posted:

SO uh, I love watching this game on twitch but I'm pretty intimidated by actually playing it. Never have. Should I just get over it and buy the drat thing? How do you adjust as a newbie player other than die constantly?

dying constantly is the foundation of this game. you'll be fine just play it, get owned, and eventually, one day, you yourself may own.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
Hop in the discord and play with goons, and try stuff like playing solo and jumping into busy areas and basically just deathmatching.

Maybe do the latter first because if you squad up with goons and die straight away then you're sort of stuck doing nothing until the team wins or wipes.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Shayl posted:

Only 1 person out of ~100 is going to survive each game. You're going to die a lot.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

lohli posted:

Switching 100-200m is pretty pointless, I wouldn't recommend it unless someone is 400m+ away and even then I probably wouldn't because you can generally eyeball it and adjust if you need to.

Well you can keep your Kentucky windage eyeballing bullshit, for people who want their bullets to hit the crosshairs zeroing is pretty grand

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Drop school until your comfortable shooting guys, use headphones, die a lot, kill a lot, have a good time

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

motherfuck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydVwVWXJguk

Shayl posted:

My advice:
First few games, land some distance away from everyone else. You're not supposed to do this if you want to get good, but it's nice to be able to learn the controls and get a handle on looting without dying after thirty seconds.
When you've got the basics down, enter the gauntlet and land in populated areas. Learn to count parachutes, listen to footsteps and hunt down players with the first weapon you pick up. When you get frustrated and tired of that, play a game or two where you land in a more isolated area.
Learn quick inventory management. Right click to pick up items, control click to split, right click attachments in inventory to equip. Prioritize health items so you don't end up with 40 bandages. Hoovering a room effectively means you'll get the drop on the guy who landed right next to you.
Think about how you move through terrain. Make sure you don't silhouette on ridge-lines, remember that trees can be very effective cover when closing in on an opponent. Don't get used to standing still, but if you do, bushes are amazing camo.
Know when to use ADS, over the shoulder aim, first person and third person. ADS in the wrong situation means no peripheral vision, slow reactions and death. FPP in the the right situation means clearing a room much more effectively.
Know when to use a car and when to avoid one, and remember that if you park your car right next to the building you intend to hole up in you'll A) get killed very easily by the people already hiding there B) make yourself a very easy quarry for the people who heard your engine.

Remember the golden rule of PUBG: kill+time=loot. Every player you kill has an inventory full of stuff you want. Never stop hunting.

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

Hackan Slash posted:

I don't want to double tap, I just want to hold

sorry that extra millisecond is too much for you, I bet you also require special toilet paper to wipe your rear end

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Black Griffon posted:

if you park your car right next to the building you intend to hole up in you'll A) get killed very easily by the people already hiding there B) make yourself a very easy quarry for the people who heard your engine.

nah, power slide your car using the hand brake so that you eject right into the front door of the building and storm it before the person has a chance to set/up react.

FYAD SECRETARY posted:

sorry that extra millisecond is too much for you, I bet you also require special toilet paper to wipe your rear end

That's a pretty unreasonable response to someone making a relatively minor request for what has pretty much become a modern FPS design standard

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Fart Car '97 posted:

nah, power slide your car using the hand brake so that you eject right into the front door of the building and storm it before the person has a chance to set/up react.

I mean yeah, this is the correct answer.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Don't forget to shoot out your own tires so they can't have it either.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
The guy that accused chaco taco of cheating made an "apology" video. He talked over and over about shotguns are inconsistent. He might as well have said "Im sorry for reporting you because shotguns are inconsistent."
He even responded to a comment in his youtube comments about why it's a bad apology and still didn't acknowledged chacotaco just straight up owned them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3li5MrkIR8

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

Hahah man I've seen some of that poo poo happening live and it's hilarious. There was one night at school where like 8 people were just chilling with Shroud talking and not shooting at all. I can't wait for more of this.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Shayl posted:

At first don't look at it as trying to get a chicken dinner. If it happens, it happens. Start off with smaller goals like surviving a school drop or getting to top 20. Work up from there as quickly as you are comfortable.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

cosmicjim posted:

The guy that accused chaco taco of cheating made an "apology" video. He talked over and over about shotguns are inconsistent. He might as well have said "Im sorry for reporting you because shotguns are inconsistent."
He even responded to a comment in his youtube comments about why it's a bad apology and still didn't acknowledged chacotaco just straight up owned them.

Nobody cares.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Fart Car '97 posted:

What about landing on the roof?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

cosmicjim posted:

Its cool that the screencap he chose shows his reticle fully centered on the guy, but on the frame when he pulls the trigger it's only about half over the target

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

jubjub64 posted:

At first don't look at it as trying to get a chicken dinner. If it happens, it happens. Start off with smaller goals like surviving a school drop or getting to top 20. Work up from there as quickly as you are comfortable.

Yeah this is important, too. When I'm playing with squads it's considered a good game if we had a good car chase or gun fight. When I was starting out surviving school was my goal more than winning

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

BadOptics posted:

Nobody cares.

I'm sorry choco ganked your entire team, but you seem a little obsessed at this point.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
anyone know the optimal speed to keep when free falling for maximum horizontal distance?

Shayl
Apr 11, 2007

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll probably pick up the game this weekend and die a lot for fun and profit.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Only 1 person out of ~100 is going to survive each game. You're going to die a lot.
I haven't killed anyone in my last 10 games. It's soooo much fun.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Cimber posted:

anyone know the optimal speed to keep when free falling for maximum horizontal distance?

126. Unless you mean chuting, in which case I think it's fluttering around 40 or so.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

He is very good, and he loves the Kar, but he does not get that many kills with it. Seems he misses most of the time, only shots he seems to hit with it are close range non moving targets.

1500 fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Sep 1, 2017

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

BadOptics posted:

Nobody cares.
I care. Choco is cool and brits are, invariably, twats.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Nevvy Z posted:

126. Unless you mean chuting, in which case I think it's fluttering around 40 or so.
Speaking of, I'm never really sure. If the plane's say 1km away from where I want to be, which of these is faster for me? 126 over to my target then divebomb, or a straight line? 1st carries more speed over a longer distance, 2nd is a shorter distance but you're going slower and opening your chute higher.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

1500 posted:

He is very good, and he loves the Kar, but he does not get that many kills with it. Seems he misses most of the time, only shots he seems to hit with it are close range non moving targets.

Choco, much like another great one, believes you miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
the fact some dude with no vest or helmet got one shot-jumping through the air practically straight at a guy with a shotgun and then thought 'wow, this guy must be cheating' is, to me, v funny, especially in the context of seeing both player's perspectives, where it's just 'i shot a dude with a shotgun and he died'

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

1500 posted:

Nobody hits those consistently, because even if you're perfect at estimating distance, bullet drop, and travel time you still need the target to move in a straight line. You can try to predict what people are going to do, but that's essentially impossible because every player is going to behave differently. Educated guess is the best you can do, which is why:

Hackan Slash posted:

Choco, much like another great one, believes you miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Speaking of, I'm never really sure. If the plane's say 1km away from where I want to be, which of these is faster for me? 126 over to my target then divebomb, or a straight line? 1st carries more speed over a longer distance, 2nd is a shorter distance but you're going slower and opening your chute higher.

I'm of the opinion that the first is faster. Go horizontal and then straight down.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I believe the second one because area under the curve is time spent in the air.

RizieN posted:

I'm of the opinion that the first is faster. Go horizontal and then straight down.

But then you spend more time at a slower speed versus accelerating first and then turning once you have speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Trabisnikof posted:

I believe the second one because area under the curve is time spent in the air.

But then you spend more time at a slower speed versus accelerating first and then turning once you have speed.

That depends on what the end of the line represents. If it's chute deploy they're not the same because the first you will pull it much later/closer to the ground where the second you'll be floating for a while.

• Locked thread