Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Alvarez IV posted:

On the subject, I'm looking to read as many books as possible in the vein of Lolita, American Psycho, Junkie, The 120 Days of Sodom, et cetera. Stuff about unrepentant transgressors who society allows to practice their poison. Preferably with good language like Nabokov, de Sade, and Burroughs. I'm not that great a fan of the BEE house style. I heard Tampa by Alissa Nutting was supposed to be decent, but I can't confirm. The vice itself doesn't matter so much to me, just that it is severe.

Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up To Me by Fariña is exactly what you want, though the main character isn't evil, just an rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Alvarez IV posted:

On the subject, I'm looking to read as many books as possible in the vein of Lolita, American Psycho, Junkie, The 120 Days of Sodom, et cetera. Stuff about unrepentant transgressors who society allows to practice their poison. Preferably with good language like Nabokov, de Sade, and Burroughs. I'm not that great a fan of the BEE house style. I heard Tampa by Alissa Nutting was supposed to be decent, but I can't confirm. The vice itself doesn't matter so much to me, just that it is severe.

Child of God by McCarthy and Coin Locker Babies by the superior Murakami

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Alvarez IV posted:

urs allemann has a novel called Babyfucker. I haven't read it yet, but CestMoi has been recommending it regularly over the years

whatevz
Sep 22, 2013

I lack the most basic processes inherent in all living organisms: reproducing and dying.

whatevz fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Apr 25, 2022

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Tree Goat posted:

i've never read a single book; i get all of my information about literature from oncle picsou comics

There's a great joke in the movie Metropolitan about a character who admits during a conversation about a particular novel that he hasn't actually read it because he doesn't read literature, only literary criticism

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Late to orhan pamuk chat but I read The White Castle which is good and I recommend

I also read the Romance of the Rose and it's good because it's about wanting to gently caress plants

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Alvarez IV posted:

crash by j.g. ballard starts with a dude crashing a car into a bus while cumming

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Homo Faber by Max Frisch

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Alvarez IV posted:

Babyfucker by Urs Allemann

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

pleasecallmechrist posted:

I haven't read Tampa but I read Unclean Jobs for Women and Girls and that bitch is funny as hell. Wit is off the charts. Kinda writer that she is if she takes Tampa to some dark places then it should be good.

Also in regards to the fascist thing, if you remove censorship and any ideas of the 'other', then it seems like a meritocracy that got a bad rap.

Lol @ a variety of facets of this post

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

CestMoi posted:

Lol @ a variety of facets of this post

I'm starting to think that we shouldn't be calling this guy Christ at all!

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Man walks down the street he says why am I soft in middle now why am I soft in the middle Also in regards to the fascist thing, if you remove censorship and any ideas of the 'other', then it seems like a meritocracy that got a bad rap.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I'm starting to go through a series of book length poems that I've had on my reading list for some time. Ronald Johnson's Ark and Harry Martinson's Aniara are both down, being related as book length poems telling the story of a massive spacefaring world ship, unlikely as it is. From Johnson:

earthearthearth
earthearthearth
earthearthearth
earthearthearth
earthearthearth
earthearthearth

Next up are Anne Carson's Autobiography of Red and David Jones' In Parenthesis.

T S Eliot, who writes the introduction to Parenthesis says that in a few decades (from the date) we will all be reading it as closely and with as much wonder as Ulysses. He was, of course, wrong.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Autobiography of Red was basically the first poetry I have read and I've picked up some of Carson's collections but honestly more book length poetry also sounds awesome, wanna check some of those out.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Guy A. Person posted:

Autobiography of Red was basically the first poetry I have read and I've picked up some of Carson's collections but honestly more book length poetry also sounds awesome, wanna check some of those out.

It's maybe a bit too short to be a full book length poem, but Robert Penn Warren's Audubon, a vision is my favorite of the ones I have read.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Alvarez IV posted:

read some dennis cooper and ignore all the other responses to your post edit and kathy acker

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
I'm doing Orlando now, and its pretty great

"For once the disease of reading has laid hold upon the system it weakens it so that it falls an easy prey to that other scourge which dwells in the inkpot and festers in the quill. The wretch takes to writing."

laughing out loud a lot on this one

hog fat
Aug 31, 2016
my radical adherence to stoicism demands I be a raging islamophobic asshole. perhaps ten more days on twitter will teach me the errors of my ways
For sale: baby shoes, never worn.

Astonishing

hog fat
Aug 31, 2016
my radical adherence to stoicism demands I be a raging islamophobic asshole. perhaps ten more days on twitter will teach me the errors of my ways

derp posted:

"For once the disease of reading has laid hold upon the system it weakens it so that it falls an easy prey to that other scourge which dwells in the inkpot and festers in the quill. The wretch takes to writing."

That's not funny. Just a big, self-congratulatory wink to her lovely literary society and the readers dumb enough to think they're in on it, too

All books suck. Burn all your books. Read Montaigne and then burn him, too. Read the Gospel but hold on to it - power courses through the Word.

hog fat fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Sep 1, 2017

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Montaigne was a top lad, you leave him alone.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
I think it’s time for another round of “Laugh at the barely literate as they try to read like real adults.”

So, I’ve been making my way through a few “proper” books and one way or another I’ve found myself starting The Brothers Karamazov. And I’m not liking it to much so far. In fact, I know the exact moment I literally had to put the book down.

quote:

…the harlots sang songs and played the harp, that is to say, the piano.

Just… what the hell? Did I pick up poor translation, or can I expect more of this sort of thing? Hell, maybe this is fine and I'm getting hooked on it for no reason but... why not just say they played the Piano? Or hell, say they played the Harp and leave it like that?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Angels play the harp. It's a joke.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

derp posted:

In your case the wretch seems to have taken to reading

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Orlando is good

Mover posted:

T S Eliot, who writes the introduction to Parenthesis says that in a few decades (from the date) we will all be reading it as closely and with as much wonder as Ulysses. He was, of course, wrong.

The Johnson sounds cool and Anne Carson is always good. In Parenthesis is v cool for its modernist medievalism and David Jones seems to be enjoying a bit of a revival atm. Went to Chichester a few years ago and stumbled on an exhibition about this guy I'd never heard of, then all of a sudden people are interested in him.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

https://twitter.com/ntabebe/status/903259894681362433

https://twitter.com/ntabebe/status/903261257653944321

https://twitter.com/ntabebe/status/903263558078750720

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Picked up a book the other day that started with the sentence "The train was running late".

What a load of poo poo. Everyone knows that trains don't have legs.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Well now I know why he goes by TC Boyle

TheManFromFOXHOUND
Nov 5, 2011

Why was Anne Rice on Charlie Rose so much in the 90's?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
She was very popular and was willing to do interviews?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I'm going to read some Donna Tartt solely cause she looks cool as heck in that pic.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Powaqoatse posted:

I'm going to read some Donna Tartt solely cause she looks cool as heck in that pic.

She's also a very good writer and basically writes like she looks

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

She's also a very good writer and basically writes like she looks
Interesting. Can you elaborate on this?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Sir John Feelgood posted:

Interesting. Can you elaborate on this?

Insightful and unsentimental

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Hell yeah I'm into both of those attributes.

Any specific recommendation?

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
I've only read The Goldfinch and I thought it was sentimental as gently caress. Still good tho

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

WatermelonGun posted:

I've only read The Goldfinch and I thought it was sentimental as gently caress. Still good tho

I dunno, I feel like the end philosophy of the protagonist kind of kills off the sentimentality that you would find in a story like that

Powaqoatse posted:

Hell yeah I'm into both of those attributes.

Any specific recommendation?

Goldfinch, Secret History

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
The Secret History was good as hell too. Little Friend I'm not so hot on, but Secret History is really enjoyable.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
are you a booker judge, Mel?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

The Secret History is one of the most unputdownable books I've ever read

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom