Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

joepinetree posted:

On other news, in discussing the difficulty of closing tax loopholes Dan Pfeiffer perhaps revealed more than he wanted in the latest PSA. He was talking about how they were trying to end the private jet tax loophole against staunch republican opposition, and what he claims really led to them eventually giving up was that Democratic donors got upset over it. Now, the point of his argument was that tax loopholes are hard to do away with, but it also reveals how much power democratic donors have over the party.

When centrists say things are "hard to do" what they really mean is "the boss said no and now I'm out of ideas."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

joepinetree posted:

Ignoring all the shitpost for a bit, I saw this today:

https://news.vice.com/story/podcasts-are-becoming-the-lefts-right-wing-talk-radio

The story itself is pretty bland and nothing new for most of us. But here's the interesting passage:

Notable because:
- NRCC is using language that centrist democrats created to smear the left ("Bro").
- NRCC is grouping everyone from Ossoff to Pod Save America with Chapo
This is the thread for trashing Democrats so that's what we do, but never forget that it's fuckos like this who are first against the wall.

Democrats are flirting with embracing fascism. The GOP already went down that road decades ago.

Sometimes it's easy to lose sight of that in this thread so I thought I'd point it out. Republicans are monsters.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Kilroy posted:

This is the thread for trashing Democrats so that's what we do, but never forget that it's fuckos like this who are first against the wall.

Democrats are flirting with embracing fascism. The GOP already went down that road decades ago.

Sometimes it's easy to lose sight of that in this thread so I thought I'd point it out. Republicans are monsters.

Not just that, but if it hadn't been for the forceful reaction to the 'Unite the Right' crapfest, a lot of these centrists and their Dem shitgolems would be scratching their chins and publishing "We obviously need to find a way to appeal to there clean-cut, frustrated, pasty individuals who were so organized and peaceful in their free speech demonstration. It's time to build the Wall" pieces.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Sephyr posted:

Not just that, but if it hadn't been for the forceful reaction to the 'Unite the Right' crapfest, a lot of these centrists and their Dem shitgolems would be scratching their chins and publishing "We obviously need to find a way to appeal to there clean-cut, frustrated, pasty individuals who were so organized and peaceful in their free speech demonstration. It's time to build the Wall" pieces.

And yet this thread was up in arms about Joy Ann Reid saying "you can't try to win over racist republicans" just this week.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

JeffersonClay posted:

And yet this thread was up in arms about Joy Ann Reid saying "you can't try to win over racist republicans" just this week.

https://twitter.com/NuclearTakes/status/903685757281476608

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

cross post from the antifa thread:

the government has classified antifa as domestic terrorists. not the nazis who ran down a crowd with their car, not the nazis who shot at protesters. antifa, cause they punch people

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

if you're taking the side of "peaceful" nazis, you're taking the side of the trump government.

if you're waiting for the FBI to save you from trump, you're a goddamned fool

nazis are now being protected from the consequences of their hatred and violence by the FBI and the DHS

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

also, this thread has plenty of reason to hate joy reid. one good one is that she's a transphobic piece of poo poo

https://twitter.com/nebelungos/status/903656174150705154/photo/1

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
"Megalomaniacal Antipodean sex pest" is a reference to noted Australian rapist Julian Assange.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

get out fascist sympathizer, you're not welcome here

go hang out with your FBI handlers

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

JeffersonClay posted:

Oh was Joy talking about Nazis on TDS? My mistake.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

the man joy reid agrees with:

https://twitter.com/onesarahjones/status/902625347568533504

yep no transhate here no siree

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Condiv posted:

cross post from the antifa thread:

the government has classified antifa as domestic terrorists. not the nazis who ran down a crowd with their car, not the nazis who shot at protesters. antifa, cause they punch people
The FBI already classifies white supremacist groups as domestic terrorism. Still, this is dumb but not surprising. I'm not sure what the effect will be since antifa aren't centralized the way white supremacists and militias are.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Kilroy posted:

The FBI already classifies white supremacist groups as domestic terrorism. Still, this is dumb but not surprising. I'm not sure what the effect will be since antifa aren't centralized the way white supremacists and militias are.

and yet they sit back and do nothing as white supremacists and nazis march through our streets and murder and beat people....

cops literally stood by and watched as nazis attacked people with tiki torches

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Condiv posted:

get out fascist sympathizer, you're not welcome here

go hang out with your FBI handlers

The easiest way to get me to stop posting here is for you to stop posting easily disproven nonsense. I just can't resist low hanging fruit.

Kilroy posted:

Oh was Joy talking about Nazis on TDS? My mistake.

Do you think there's an important distinction between nazis and plain old white supremacist trump supporters?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

get out fascist sympathizer, no one wants you here

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Condiv posted:

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Condiv posted:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Condiv posted:

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

JeffersonClay posted:

Do you think there's an important distinction between nazis and plain old white supremacist trump supporters?
I think there's an important distinction between people who literally advocate for genocide and people who have been duped by the ruling class into believing their problems are race-related or whatever else. We can't get all of the latter but to the extent they can be turned into non-racist assholes, it's worth giving it a shot. And that's not just an electoral strategy, by the way - if people with bigoted views can be prompted to reexamine them and discard them, then bringing that about is the right thing to do. Actual Nazis are a lost cause, though. So are the evangelicals, IMO.

If your strategy for winning this is to write off every person to the right of Chuck Schumer as a "values voter" who can never be convinced not to support fascism, then it sounds to me like you've already given up even if you don't already know it. What Joy Ann Reid is saying is basically end-game of triangulation: don't try to change any minds, don't offer anything more to people than just enough to squeak out a win, never reconsider your own ideology if you even have one.

Also:

Condiv posted:

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

JeffersonClay posted:

The easiest way to get me to stop posting here is for you to stop posting easily disproven nonsense. I just can't resist low hanging fruit.

Great example:

Condiv posted:

the man joy reid agrees with:

https://twitter.com/onesarahjones/status/902625347568533504

yep no transhate here no siree

I am by no means a twitter expert but I'm pretty sure liking a tweet is not an endorsement of everything that person has ever done or written. If you could somehow stop yourself from posting the dumbest poo poo imaginable, you wouldn't have to suffer me correcting you.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Condiv posted:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Democrats still being anti-Chelsea Manning is pretty much indefensible at this point, if it ever was at all, JC. Chelsea Manning is, and always was, cool and good.

(assange sucks and can gently caress off)

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Lightning Knight posted:

Democrats still being anti-Chelsea Manning is pretty much indefensible at this point, if it ever was at all, JC. Chelsea Manning is, and always was, cool and good.

he knows what he's arguing, he just argues in bad faith constantly and then defends nazis cause i guess he thought that would be a fun opportunity

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Kilroy posted:

Actual Nazis are a lost cause, though. So are the evangelicals, IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUw4jA2-fTU&t=12s

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Lightning Knight posted:

I don't think Chelsea manning is somehow beyond any and all criticism by democrats. To wit:

https://mobile.twitter.com/xychelsea/status/902193489311621120

And if we're using Condiv logic, Chelsea manning has said nice things about Julian Assange and wikileaks, who actively support trump, and therefore she's a fascist bootlicker.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax
both parties are the same

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, if anything their response to Antifa creepily lines up with each other.

Also, in terms of foreign and military policy, I don't know if there is much of a difference besides tone (besides climate change).

I would say the domestic policy is different, but usually, it is hard right/far-right versus center-right.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 1, 2017

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Please quit trying to use logic, you fascist bootlicker.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Call Me Charlie posted:

these drat people with their appeals to emotion, eh, chuck? why can't they follow your eminently reasonable example.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

JeffersonClay posted:

And if we're using Condiv logic, Chelsea manning has said nice things about Julian Assange and wikileaks, who actively support trump, and therefore she's a fascist bootlicker.

by his own logic, just like jed bartlet!!

Condiv posted:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

NewForumSoftware posted:

both parties are the same

I want a Venn diagram of centrists and Republicans that's just a meme of the recent eclipse.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
You'll always be able to point to this or that person who used to be a Nazi, but that doesn't mean you're going to be able to fix the people who cheered Heather Heyer's death, in any appreciable or meaningful quantity. You're not going to take that portion of their movement and turn it around - you can only destroy it.

Happy to be proven wrong since it means less racist assholes and more people to oppose it, but there's a lot of other much more low-hanging fruit to be had.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
or more importantly, it isn't on the people who could be victimized to not act in self-defense because their attackers may at some point in the future potentially relent

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Call Me Charlie posted:

You voted for trump

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
Note that while they treat people out of being Nazis and White Nationalists, their real prescription for stopping these groups is to basically stop treating vulnerable/isolated people like poo poo so they don't get attracted to groups like this in the first place. Especially the mentally ill, who are targeted overmuch. It's a fight for societal change I can get behind, plus an actual long term solution to the problem. Fight and confront these people on the street, by all means, but know you're only fighting the symptoms instead of treating the cause of the infection.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Sep 1, 2017

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

If you spent years in jail for daring to bring forth evidence that your nation had committed atrocities, under administrations from both parties, you'd have a chip on your shoulder too.

Besides, Chelsea Manning doesn't do anything now. She's a Twitter personality who sometimes posts her personal political views and sometimes her fabulous fashion pictures (like for real though goddamn), but the important things that make her worth knowing about happened a decade ago and anybody still taking a second to whine about her is being a prick.

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Sep 1, 2017

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Dems don't give a poo poo about treating the disadvantaged masses as people.

They think that telling them to be empowered is as good as actually giving them power.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.

steinrokkan posted:

Dems don't give a poo poo about treating the disadvantaged masses as people.

Correct, which is why they're loving contemptible for using IDpol as a sheild for the lovely things they do and the good they fail to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Kokoro Wish posted:

Correct, which is why they're loving contemptible for using IDpol as a sheild for the lovely things they do and the good they fail to do.

Hmmm... you talk about IDpol and call Antifa 'football hooligans'.

:whitewater:

• Locked thread