Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think Disney knows a bit more than Ike Perlmutter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Koalas March posted:

I realize you think this is a burn, but I'm cool with that. I have been labeled worse. I'm not going to stop trying to educate people or stop sharing my experiences, or stop calling out racism just because it annoys you or makes you uncomfortable. I want you to think about your reaction to my post and why you felt the need to swipe at a black person for pointing out how societal racism and stereotypes effect black employees. Especially black employees in the entertainment industry. I am also literally a black person in the entertainment industry. I have seen this poo poo with my own eyes.

http://variety.com/2016/artisans/features/below-the-line-diversity-racism-artisans-1201833014/

I wouldn't go out of my way to stand up for a serial domestic abuser but ok

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Koalas March posted:

I realize you think this is a burn, but I'm cool with that. I have been labeled worse. I'm not going to stop trying to educate people or stop sharing my experiences, or stop calling out racism just because it annoys you or makes you uncomfortable. I want you to think about your reaction to my post and why you felt the need to swipe at a black person for pointing out how societal racism and stereotypes effect black employees. Especially black employees in the entertainment industry. I am also literally a black person in the entertainment industry. I have seen this poo poo with my own eyes.

http://variety.com/2016/artisans/features/below-the-line-diversity-racism-artisans-1201833014/

It's not a burn or a swipe, I just think it's funny that you show up to post gifs and interject yourself into the conversation whenever anyone talks about black people 3 posts in a row, like Beetlejuice.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

This thread is going nowhere fast

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Ojjeorago posted:

It's not a burn or a swipe, I just think it's funny that you show up to post gifs and interject yourself into the conversation whenever anyone talks about black people 3 posts in a row, like Beetlejuice.

Maybe I interject because black people should participate in conversations about racism? I don't get how me calling out racism when I see it is a bad thing. I usually try to joke around and be light (the gifs) because it's a serious subject and people get defensive as gently caress. The people who accost me for "interjecting" into topics about race usually use that argument as a silencing tactic. One of the reasons I was made a mod was to bring another perspective to the forums and call out racism that may not be obvious to others.

There is also a huge difference between saying Terrance Howard should not be subjected to racism, and me defending him as a person. I am not doing that.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

purple death ray posted:

This thread is going nowhere fast

Maybe you should contribute instead of lovely whining, then. Here, watch :

The TV thread is currently dumping on Inhumans so Tick chat has been lost, but if you have Amazon Prime the first six episodes basically make for an origin story movie with a roughly 2.5 hour runtime that literally ends on cliffhanger, so if you have Prime and want to watch a new superhero movie this weekend maybe watch The Tick as it is good.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Aphrodite posted:

I think Disney knows a bit more than Ike Perlmutter.

Which is why they immediately replaced him when Disney bought Marvel.

Or at any point in the intervening eight years.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
The Tick is good.

This thread is bad.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Remarkable how threads get declared bad as soon as a woman of color says racism is bad.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I just don't know if I'm allowed to disagree without getting a prob and a terrible gif

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Remarkable how threads get declared bad as soon as a woman of color says racism is bad.

This thread was bad way before that, come on

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

fruit on the bottom posted:

I just don't know if I'm allowed to disagree without getting a prob and a terrible gif

Go ahead and defend racism to your hearts content, I guess.

Let me put it in a way that more easily digestible for the posters here:

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
If you want to see a truly bad thread, let's all butt heads on BvS again.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
There we go, if I disagree with KN then I must be supporting racism, even though I hadn't even mentioned which part of what she said I disagree with.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Ojjeorago posted:

If you want to see a truly bad thread, let's all butt heads on BvS again.

It's bad

And I've enjoyed watching it all five or six times I've seen it now :twisted:

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Yes that's clearly the side I was taking and what I was referring to, sure.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

There we go, if I disagree with KN then I must be supporting racism, even though I hadn't even mentioned which part of what she said I disagree with.

Thanks for clearing that up.

This is some grade-A projection. You didn't quote anyone, it appeared that you were responding to Al who just said I was saying racism is bad. It's natural to assume through context clues that was the statement you were disagreeing with.

By your swipes it's clear you have some kind of problem with me, so state your case or just move on.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I was speaking with some friends about why Spider-Man Homecoming was such a great movie. One of the points I kept kinda mentally coming back to is that it's the first movie that I think really benefits from the shared universe thing. Like every movie before it was part of setting up the MCU. Homecoming was the first payoff. There have been a few MCU movies that I might even say were hampered for having to do shared universe things (sorry Iron Man 2). Spider-Man gets to revel in it, even more than the team ups like The Avengers or Civil War. It just drops you into a story without an origin, but everyone is already down for the ride because we all know how the MCU works now. It's a celebration of Marvel's big cinematic gamble that they both do and do not get enough credit for. Because honestly the set up was VERY shaky and it could've fallen apart at any time. Homecoming was real good. My biggest regret is I only paid to see it the one time.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Nice try but I'm not taking that bait

So how bad is justice league gonna be, guys?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

SleepCousinDeath posted:

The Tick is good.

This thread is bad.

Is it better than the pilot episode? I only remember one joke (Tick knocking over a lamp thinking it was a lever for a secret lair), and it fell flat (the joke and the lamp). Is the whole show a realistic reboot like that was? He seems nothing like the character in the comics in that pilot.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

So how bad is justice league gonna be, guys?

Promotion has gone really dark. I had low expectations for it but liked the trailer. My prediction is "half jumbled mess/half cool moments" and expect Aquaman to be the breakout character.

Gonna be hilarious seeing Wonder Woman and Aquaman become the tentpoles for the DCU.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

BiggerBoat posted:

Promotion has gone really dark. I had low expectations for it but liked the trailer. My prediction is "half jumbled mess/half cool moments" and expect Aquaman to be the breakout character.

Gonna be hilarious seeing Wonder Woman and Aquaman become the tentpoles for the DCU.

I wonder if we'll be able to to see which parts are snyder's and which are whedon's. that might be a fun drinking game

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SonicRulez posted:

I was speaking with some friends about why Spider-Man Homecoming was such a great movie. One of the points I kept kinda mentally coming back to is that it's the first movie that I think really benefits from the shared universe thing. Like every movie before it was part of setting up the MCU. Homecoming was the first payoff. There have been a few MCU movies that I might even say were hampered for having to do shared universe things (sorry Iron Man 2). Spider-Man gets to revel in it, even more than the team ups like The Avengers or Civil War. It just drops you into a story without an origin, but everyone is already down for the ride because we all know how the MCU works now. It's a celebration of Marvel's big cinematic gamble that they both do and do not get enough credit for. Because honestly the set up was VERY shaky and it could've fallen apart at any time. Homecoming was real good. My biggest regret is I only paid to see it the one time.

It struck a pretty good balance between using the MCU well without being bogged down on it. I'm sure everyone remembers "There's way too much Iron Man in this" from the trailers, but they did a good job at using him as a supporting character without letting him take over the entire picture. I felt the same way about Civil War (it was a Captain America movie that used the other Avengers quite well as its supporting cast) but I imagine people probably disagree on that one.

I think the benefit of the MCU being fairly established at this point is that you can do stuff like introduce Spider-Man and even comparative unknowns like Black Panther in a Captain America movie without a big complicated origin and people can roll with it.

I wonder if we'll be able to to see which parts are snyder's and which are whedon's. that might be a fun drinking game

There's going to be endless arguments about how the good/bad (delete as appropriate) parts are obviously Snyder/Whedon (ibid).

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I certainly remember more jokes than that in the pilot. It isn't realistic, it's a parody of modern realistic superhero properties.

Child Arthur sees the ship of his favorite superhero team crash into and kill his dad, then each member killed one by one by a supervillain, then the supervillain saunters over, pats him on the head, and steals his ice cream.

Is that dark? Incredibly so, but to the point of parody and with a sense of comedic timing.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
At this point I don't think you really need to "introduce" Spider-man. After three different iterations in the past 15 years I think you can just drop him in and people will know what to do with him

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!

IUG posted:

Is it better than the pilot episode? I only remember one joke (Tick knocking over a lamp thinking it was a lever for a secret lair), and it fell flat (the joke and the lamp). Is the whole show a realistic reboot like that was? He seems nothing like the character in the comics in that pilot.

It's less dark than the pilot, and the Tick has a less weird suit. It has Alan Tudyk voicing a sentient crime-solving boat.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

BiggerBoat posted:

Promotion for Wonder Woman was also fairly dark until right towards the end. I think they wisely (for both movies) don't want audiences sick of seeing these characters before the movie is out, and a little thirsty. BvS was over promoted to the point I think people were starting to hate it before it has even been reviewed.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Promotion for Wonder Woman was also fairly dark until right towards the end. I think they wisely (for both movies) don't want audiences sick of seeing these characters before the movie is out, and a little thirsty. BvS was over promoted to the point I think people were starting to hate it before it has even been reviewed.

That's a good point and I forgot it's not out until November.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Heathen posted:

Perlmutter was the fairytale foreigner who came to America penniless and became a self made billionaire. He started out in a company that sold videogames, transitioned to a company that sold toys and then became president of a company that sells comic books. He made billions selling things to children and adults with childish hobbies. So naturally a bunch of thirty somethings on the internet mad about their toys think they know more about running a business than the literal penny pinching Jew.
I don't know about the antisemitic projections, but I tend not to waste tears for someone who donated one million dollars to the Trump campaign.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

IUG posted:

Uhh that scene was literally taken from the comic...

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

At this point I don't think you really need to "introduce" Spider-man. After three different iterations in the past 15 years I think you can just drop him in and people will know what to do with him

I agree, but there was some strong debate over that a few pages back.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

BrianWilly posted:

I tend not to waste tears for someone who donated one million dollars to the Trump campaign.

http://variety.com/2016/biz/news/marvel-trump-ike-perlmutter-donation-1201692438/

quote:

Marvel Boss Ike Perlmutter Takes Heat After Donating to Trump’s Veteran Charity

Perlmutter, a 73-year-old Israeli Army veteran who immigrated to the U.S. after the 1967 Six Day War, had previously lent support to veterans groups. And earlier this week, Marvel committed to support the Wounded Warrior Project.

Yes. What an rear end in a top hat. How dare he, a veteran, donate to a veteran's charity.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Yes, it is only ever possible to donate money to veteran's charities through Donald Trump and Perlmutter is showing no political affiliations or inclinations by donating money specifically through a Trump-based fundraiser.

Look, I don't remember that much about you but can you just save me some time by confirming if you're a shitposter or not? Thanks.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Surely there's lots of charities that help veterans in need that aren't run by Donald Trump? :shrug:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Heathen posted:

http://variety.com/2016/biz/news/marvel-trump-ike-perlmutter-donation-1201692438/

Yes. What an rear end in a top hat. How dare he, a veteran, donate to a veteran's charity.
He also gave $5 million to the Trump-backing Great America PAC and $2300 to Rudy Guiliani's 2008 campaign.

http://docquery.fec.gov/cgi-bin/qind/

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

BrianWilly posted:

Yes, it is only ever possible to donate money to veteran's charities through Donald Trump and Perlmutter is showing no political affiliations or inclinations by donating money specifically through a Trump-based fundraiser.

Same link as before. Previous sentence.

quote:

The Perlmutter family made headlines last summer when it was reported that the Marvel boss’ wife, Laura, had donated $2 million to one of Trump’s Republican rivals, Florida Sen. Marco Rubio.

Rich people support republican candidates. This surprises no one.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Scaramouche posted:

Uhh that scene was literally taken from the comic...

The comic had comedic timing. I'm saying the execution of the joke sucked.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Now that Whedon being actually a mysgonistic jerk has been pretty much proved (rather than being a persistent rumor) makes me think the Batgirl movie will be The Killing Joke. That and sounds like WB is ALL JOKER ALL THE TIME! so it being the one that features the Joker prominently, and sadly the only one most people know.

Homecoming is also really well paced. It's not just go go go go, lurching from crisis to crisis, but it also doesn't have long rear end scenes of people talking about their feelings or motivations or straight up discussing the themes of the movie. Everything is perfectly balanced, between the quiet and loud moments. Also cannot get over how wonderful Flash was just as an rear end in a top hat Troll.

When I say Penis, you say Parker!

I really want Black Cat in the next movie, and she has her crazy bad luck powers. This Parker Luck + that would be hilarious.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

twistedmentat posted:

I really want Black Cat in the next movie, and she has her crazy bad luck powers. This Parker Luck + that would be hilarious.
Supposedly she is getting her own movie with Silver Sable. I think that comes out before Homecoming 2 but I could be wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

twistedmentat posted:

Now that Whedon being actually a mysgonistic jerk has been pretty much proved (rather than being a persistent rumor) makes me think the Batgirl movie will be The Killing Joke. That and sounds like WB is ALL JOKER ALL THE TIME! so it being the one that features the Joker prominently, and sadly the only one most people know.

Just going on that first sentence, I think you just want to be mad about something.

• Locked thread