Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Where's your source for this? Huge Doomtown fan.

I heard it at Gencon from a friend who was at the Pinnacle panel. It's compatible with Doomtown: Reloaded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I heard they were continuing it but presumed it was the existing game. Doomtown is probably my favorite CCG / LCG design, tho.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Where's your source for this? Huge Doomtown fan.

Pinnacle's website https://www.peginc.com/kickstarters/

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

The_Doctor posted:

The Shipwreck Arcana is in its final 48 hours, and looks like a nice cheap fun game. P&P is available on their campaign page so you can totally try it out first.

It looks pretty good. I like deduction games like this and could use another one to mix up with Hanabi.

The Journey Fraternity
Nov 25, 2003

I found this on the ground!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I hadn't seen this mentioned but apparently Pinnacle is going to revive Doomtown via Kickstarter starting on the 5th. Sounds like they're revamping the game a bit;

Doomtown: Reloaded is a poker-driven territory control card game, based on the 1998 Origins Awards Best Trading Card Game, Deadlands: Doomtown!

Now you can harness the power of Ezekiah Grimme (Famine), Raven (War), Darius Hellstromme (Pestilence), or Jasper Stone (Death). Beware though, such power always comes at a cost as Legends trade starting wealth in exchange power. You now have the option to attach a Servitor to your Outfit’s home in order to enable far-reaching strategies.

Kinda hosed up to KS "revamp" it a few months after they killed the reboot instead of just patching the problems, but I guess preorders trump all in TYOOL 2017.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
The new Doomtown LCG is going to be a 100% compatible with the previous version. They are just adding in Servitors as starts in play cards that modify your outfit.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The Journey Fraternity posted:

Kinda hosed up to KS "revamp" it a few months after they killed the reboot instead of just patching the problems, but I guess preorders trump all in TYOOL 2017.

AEG killed Reloaded, Pinnacle are the new license holders.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
I don't envy Legacy 2e navigating springing a potential book size change after funding completion-there's liable to be a lot of frustrated and upset backers.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

GaistHeidegger posted:

I don't envy Legacy 2e navigating springing a potential book size change after funding completion-there's liable to be a lot of frustrated and upset backers.

I don't envy that navigation either, because I have no understanding of, and very little sympathy for, somebody actually upset or frustrated with that book size change.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
So far only a handful have actually said it'd make them regret having backed the kickstarter which is reassuring, but I'm still not committed to the new size. The big unknown is how people would react to actually receiving the smaller-size handouts and artbook - personally, I'm worried that they wouldn't be happy at all.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

homullus posted:

I don't envy that navigation either, because I have no understanding of, and very little sympathy for, somebody actually upset or frustrated with that book size change.

There's already folks replying to it with that, Kickstarter backers can get super weird about this sort of thing.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I put down that I'm fine with the change. But I don't really know which format would be more appealing to a potential buyer in a store.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

HidaO-Win posted:

The new Doomtown LCG is going to be a 100% compatible with the previous version. They are just adding in Servitors as starts in play cards that modify your outfit.

Now I really regret not buying all the expansions when I came across them for 75% off in SoCal a few weeks ago. :smith:

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

GaistHeidegger posted:

There's already folks replying to it with that, Kickstarter backers can get super weird about this sort of thing.

Eh, I'm not going to judge. I've put enough effort into this book's aesthetics as a selling point that I can imagine changing those turning someone off. As only 2% of people answering the poll (and less than 0.5% of backers) have said they're severely unhappy with the bigger size I think I'm getting off lightly.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Grail Games put up Reiner Knizia's Stephenson's Rocket on kickstarter
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1986861668/stephensons-rocket-the-classic-board-game-returns

Don't know anything about the game, seems like a light 18xx?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

homullus posted:

I'm not sure I have a dog in this particular race but:

1). Smaller dimension books make for a more convenient carry.

2). Altering the dimensions also alters the pagecount and depending on the thickness of the book in question that can begin to affect things like the binding. The main book itself is supposed to still be around 200 pages even after moving to letter size as opposed to royal, but the additional supplemental settings that got raised through stretch goals are much smaller affairs.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Flavivirus posted:

Eh, I'm not going to judge. I've put enough effort into this book's aesthetics as a selling point that I can imagine changing those turning someone off. As only 2% of people answering the poll (and less than 0.5% of backers) have said they're severely unhappy with the bigger size I think I'm getting off lightly.

I am excited to go with a bigger book. I have a friend who backed at the physical level just because he liked the art so much he wanted it a an art piece regardless of if he ran it or not.

I think we might give legacy a shot once we wrap up our current 7th See campaign, so fingers crossed.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Legacy just pushed on update, the game books are all staying royal sized after all.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Does that mean the book is bigger or smaller than say Pathfinder's Core rulebook? Size, not page count.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Legacy just pushed on update, the game books are all staying royal sized after all.

I get the decision. At the end of the day, giving everyone what they paid for is probably the better call than providing an arguably better product but having to deal with the shrieking and possible complaints and refund demands of the tiny minority of backers who'd pitch a fit. At the end of the day, unless it's an objectively better (and to me, this was just subjectively better) product, simpler to just provide what you promised.

The book is going to be amazing, regardless. Looking forward to getting mine.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Does that mean the book is bigger or smaller than say Pathfinder's Core rulebook? Size, not page count.

Smaller, I think - I don't have a copy to measure but it looks about US Letter sized. Legacy is going to be Royal-sized after all that kerfuffle - about the size of Apocalypse World, Fate Core, Blades in the Dark etc.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Yep, Pathfinder books are letter sized.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Though I did see that Paizo started putting softcover royal sized versions of the core PF books.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

Atomicated posted:

Tim Fowers has a new kickstarter up: Now Boarding

I enjoyed Fugitive enough that I feel pretty much obligated to back this.

So this now also has a tier to get a new edition of Wok Star. I've never played the original, how is it?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Though I did see that Paizo started putting softcover royal sized versions of the core PF books.

So royal is smaller. Okay, that's what I was wondering.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Memnaelar posted:

I get the decision. At the end of the day, giving everyone what they paid for is probably the better call than providing an arguably better product but having to deal with the shrieking and possible complaints and refund demands of the tiny minority of backers who'd pitch a fit. At the end of the day, unless it's an objectively better (and to me, this was just subjectively better) product, simpler to just provide what you promised.

The book is going to be amazing, regardless. Looking forward to getting mine.

I like to think that I'm not going to throw a fit over something like this but speaking purely from myself I've begun to prefer the smaller size for RPGs lately, when I elect to buy hardcopy at all. They take up less space and they're easier to transport. I wouldn't have raised a huge fuss but cards on the table, I'm glad that a resolution was reached that keeps the parts that I care about (namely the corebook, maybe the setting supplements if I get impulse spendy when the pledge manager goes live) the size they were originally stated.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Atomicated posted:

So this now also has a tier to get a new edition of Wok Star. I've never played the original, how is it?

It's decent. Kinda simple, not the sort of thing I replay all that regularly, but if you want to source ingredients and fill orders on a short timer it's fun enough. I feel like that Kitchen Rush game that was Kickstarting a while back might end up as a better buy but it's hard to say until that ships and I get to play it.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Kai Tave posted:

I like to think that I'm not going to throw a fit over something like this but speaking purely from myself I've begun to prefer the smaller size for RPGs lately, when I elect to buy hardcopy at all. They take up less space and they're easier to transport. I wouldn't have raised a huge fuss but cards on the table, I'm glad that a resolution was reached that keeps the parts that I care about (namely the corebook, maybe the setting supplements if I get impulse spendy when the pledge manager goes live) the size they were originally stated.

Oh, I wasn't trying to generalize and say everyone who prefers the small edition would've been a fit-pitcher. I prefer it myself (although I was confusing, I suspect, about that when I said the larger book was a subjectively better decision). I just mean that it makes sense that you maintain your initial promises, rather than deal with the minority who would pitch a fit, which is in itself a minority of the folks who preferred the smaller book. Besides, it'll fit nicely on my shelf with my other AW-powered books like Blades in the Dark. ;-)

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

US only and kinda expensive, but this could be useful to some - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1834692986/gaddis-gaming-tabletoppertm?ref=project_link

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hey, remember SUperhero 20XX? You know, that weird superhero game where you fight Cthulhu with one of 275 pre-generated characters? The one created by a guy who's KS record is "4 created, zero funded, zero backed"? Well, after badmouthing people in the comments, he's finally hit on the secret of KS success:

quote:

Hello all,

I just wanted to update you on the progress of this project.

As I stated we will be shutting down the project with miniatures on Monday then submitting a relaunch with a focus just on the role playing game. The funding goal will be 1 dollar so backers won't have to be concerned whether it will happen or not. We will release exact data regarding the level of production which is already completed.

I am also pleased to announce that we have reached a verbal agreement with Indie Press Revolution to provide fulfillment services on the project.

The editor has completed her final edits of the core rules. Our editor on the project is Laura Briskin-Limehouse. She is an experienced game editor and we are lucky to have her.

Finally, going forward every backer will receive a copy of the text of the core rules after each pledge over the PDF reward level as soon as arrangements can be made on an individual basis so they can try out the game.

Mark Thompson

Checker BPG
Just a reminder, this is the guy who said that the most difficult aspect of making a superhero-themed game is the visuals.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

A verbal agreement, huh

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Someone with more knowledge of how Kickstarter operates help me out here, is the "we'll just make the funding goal a single dollar!" plan actually something Kickstarter allows you to do? I feel like this has been done before, I want to say the Penny Arcade guys did a KS like that at one point, but I don't know if they've closed that loophole since.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Kai Tave posted:

Someone with more knowledge of how Kickstarter operates help me out here, is the "we'll just make the funding goal a single dollar!" plan actually something Kickstarter allows you to do? I feel like this has been done before, I want to say the Penny Arcade guys did a KS like that at one point, but I don't know if they've closed that loophole since.

Yeah Penny Arcade did it and it was in violation of the T&C's at the time. It also wasn't raising money for anything in particular. Kickstarter have a loose approach to enforcing their own guidelines.

If you aren't already famous then the just setting a one dollar target won't work

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Mojo Jojo posted:

Yeah Penny Arcade did it and it was in violation of the T&C's at the time. It also wasn't raising money for anything in particular. Kickstarter have a loose approach to enforcing their own guidelines.

If you aren't already famous then the just setting a one dollar target won't work

Just page Luke Crane, he's supposed to be the person managing Games at Kickstarter and he probably wouldn't stand for trash like that.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
I'd love to see it still fail.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Mors Rattus posted:

A verbal agreement, huh

:lol:

What a train wreck.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Torg Eternity just sent out the PDFs to backers.

The Malthusian
Oct 30, 2012

I recently went down the rabbit hole of solo rpgs and discovered the GameMaster's Apprentice cards, which are also useful for randomizers during a normally GM'ed game. The creator has another kickstarter, ending soon, for updating some of his first six decks and adding Fantasy: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/376399785/the-gamemasters-apprentice-a-fantasy-deck-for-any?ref=nav_search

I've been pleased with the quality of his other products, and you can find a link to a demo of his base set on the kickstarter page.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
After having cancelled Tiny Wastelands, Gallant Knight Games launched Tiny Dungeons 2e, an update of their original game, Tiny Dungeon. It's a very rules-light system that's perfect for quick one-offs, convention games, and introducing new players to RPGs. Full transparency: if enough stretch goals unlock I might be writing one of their "micro-settings."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Weird kickstarter of the week:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/990619951/consentacle-a-card-game-of-human-alien-intimacy?ref=category_recommended

A cooperative card game about sex with an alien. Totally SFW.