Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It's very much a difficulty mod. Its bosses (even the pre-eye worm dude) are way harder than vanilla and you can do things like accidentally trigger a late hardmode boss on your first time farting around the ocean.

It does add some nice things to regular progression, like fairly common enemies underground that drop gems, rare ores, and the one off worldgen weapons you never get to use.

And there's extensive post-Moon Lord content to use your Meowmeres and SDMGs on.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Sep 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Spirit Mod is actually pretty fun and has a lot of neat additions including some fun bosses and a unique weapon system where you build one of five legendary weapons (melee, ranged, magic, summon, and throwing) and upgrade it as you go through the game. They're really fantastic weapons and I kinda leaned on them a lot but usually had others to rely on too.

Calamity is possibly the content mod I'd recommend most, and has some really, really fun additions, features, bosses, and so on, but holy poo poo the endgame is absolutely ridiculous. Anything post-moonlord is so overpowered they're probably not worth facing (especially on expert -- what a chore, and that's even with overpowered composite accessories) and the Devourer of Gods was possibly the most frustrating bossfight I've ever played. It offers a lot of extremely powerful weapons and endgame equipment can vaporize anything with a thought, so power bloat is definitely a thing here, but along the way there is some fun progression (albeit with a lot of useless armor sets) and a lot of really high quality content with good looking sprites.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Vib Rib posted:

Spirit Mod is actually pretty fun and has a lot of neat additions including some fun bosses and a unique weapon system where you build one of five legendary weapons (melee, ranged, magic, summon, and throwing) and upgrade it as you go through the game. They're really fantastic weapons and I kinda leaned on them a lot but usually had others to rely on too.

Calamity is possibly the content mod I'd recommend most, and has some really, really fun additions, features, bosses, and so on, but holy poo poo the endgame is absolutely ridiculous. Anything post-moonlord is so overpowered they're probably not worth facing (especially on expert -- what a chore, and that's even with overpowered composite accessories) and the Devourer of Gods was possibly the most frustrating bossfight I've ever played. It offers a lot of extremely powerful weapons and endgame equipment can vaporize anything with a thought, so power bloat is definitely a thing here, but along the way there is some fun progression (albeit with a lot of useless armor sets) and a lot of really high quality content with good looking sprites.

Counterpoint: Calamity's legendary weapons are so stupid overpowered that the endgame was a complete non-issue for me. But I also haven't played in a while so that might have been fixed. And I loved Devourer of Gods' trash talk.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Calamity has a lot more content than Thorium. Combining the two together makes for some chaotic progression, as well. On the whole, Calamity's items feel kind of like mid-late Factorio stuff, where everything requires so many ingredients that themselves require even more stuff. It's super grindy. Also some of the progression bits stick out like a sore thumb. The hell crags biome you can visit from the start, but nothing you pick up can even dent the materials until well past Moon Lord.

It's worth checking out all the same, just be prepared for grind going in.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Vib Rib posted:

I remember beating the post moon lord Calamity bosses a few moths ago. It took the mutant mod supersouls (+500 health, a bunch of other things, stupid powerful), the exp/classes high level class token, 8 accessory slots and the Thorium cheat bow. 10 % life steal at tens of thousands of damage a hit full auto. I still died like a dozen times to the jungle dragon on expert, which I had to fight it on to get it to drop anything at all.

Maybe once I can get the mod client to work for me again I'll go back through as the ultimate broken thrower, since like any mod that helps the throwing class seems to either add new endgame level stuff, or assumes that you're using basegame progression, where throwing weapons stop at bones and armor stops at like fossil.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Ashsaber posted:

I remember beating the post moon lord Calamity bosses a few moths ago. It took the mutant mod supersouls (+500 health, a bunch of other things, stupid powerful), the exp/classes high level class token, 8 accessory slots and the Thorium cheat bow. 10 % life steal at tens of thousands of damage a hit full auto. I still died like a dozen times to the jungle dragon on expert, which I had to fight it on to get it to drop anything at all.

Maybe once I can get the mod client to work for me again I'll go back through as the ultimate broken thrower, since like any mod that helps the throwing class seems to either add new endgame level stuff, or assumes that you're using basegame progression, where throwing weapons stop at bones and armor stops at like fossil.
Yeah, I can win if I'm using the Fargo's Mod soul that's basically all armor sets combined, no problem. The vampire heal on that is so strong you can basically never lose health, and even the Devourer of Gods you can just sorta tank hits. But when I realized that amounted to invulnerability I tried the fights without it and suddenly it was a nonstop bullshit barrage. I think one of the big problems is especially with certain fights you get a problem the base game has, but exacerbated: hard-to-see projectiles that just fill the loving screen. So often there'll be a tiny fireball or lingering obstacle that, with the screen heavily color-tinted and so much other poo poo exploding, you really don't have an opportunity to spot before flying into it.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I vaguely remember from a while back seeing a mod that combined all the crafting stations and inventory into one place. What is that mod, or are there any other mods that streamline the tedious inventory management?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Kibbles n Shits posted:

I vaguely remember from a while back seeing a mod that combined all the crafting stations and inventory into one place. What is that mod, or are there any other mods that streamline the tedious inventory management?

Magic Storage lets you do that and also lets you combine all your chests into one big searchable one.

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Fargo's has the Crucible of the Cosmos. Unfortunately, as the name implies, it requires a Cosmic Pillar (sort of) tier item before you can make it.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The Magic Storage version takes the form of a special module that you put on your storage setup that has slots to hold all your crafting stations. It puts up a searchable, filterable list of all the recipes you can make with those stations and the junk in your storage. The only problem being that it doesn't look in your inventory. Costs 3 diamonds and 7 sapphires to make, though bosses drop fake diamonds to use in storage recipes.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Magic Storage is what I was thinking of.. thanks! This mod fixes my one and only gripe with the game.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I could never get into Magic Storage. Something about the UI just put me off despite the convenience, and not being able to use the normal deposit all button I was used to bugged me.
Probably to my own detriment.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

I could never get into Magic Storage. Something about the UI just put me off despite the convenience, and not being able to use the normal deposit all button I was used to bugged me.
Probably to my own detriment.

I've never trusted quick stack to chest because it somehow always ended up stealing items i wanted to keep on me, so Magic Storage was really easy to acclimate to, since i just shift-click stuff into it like usual.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?

Wolpertinger posted:

I've never trusted quick stack to chest because it somehow always ended up stealing items i wanted to keep on me, so Magic Storage was really easy to acclimate to, since i just shift-click stuff into it like usual.

That used to happen to me, but since they added/I remembered assigning items to favorite status it stopped being a problem.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Can't find any Plantera bulbs :negative:

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Lorini posted:

Can't find any Plantera bulbs :negative:

Whenever I want to fight him, same. Very much the same. :smith: Plantera bulbs and life fruits. When I need them I can't find any, when I don't want either, I'm tripping over them constantly.

A bulb will eventually spawn in an accessible location. While you're killing time waiting, you could try messing with the Old One's Army event for some laughs.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

DoubleNegative posted:

Whenever I want to fight him, same. Very much the same. :smith: Plantera bulbs and life fruits. When I need them I can't find any, when I don't want either, I'm tripping over them constantly.

A bulb will eventually spawn in an accessible location. While you're killing time waiting, you could try messing with the Old One's Army event for some laughs.

Stuff like this is why I've been embracing mods lately. The Thorium mod lets you craft those so you can reuse the same huge arena you painstakingly dig out.

Someone mentioned Calamity which is pretty cool as well, I haven't beaten Wall of Flesh on it yet but it adds a lot of interesting things.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Fargo's Summons and Souls mod adds a merchant who sells summoning items for every vanilla boss and most major modded ones, too.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Vib Rib posted:

Fargo's Summons and Souls mod adds a merchant who sells summoning items for every vanilla boss and most major modded ones, too.

And also has gimmick items that summon several of a boss at once (or every boss in the game if you're into that sort of thing).

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
I like all the additions that Calamity mod brings, it has lots of cool weapons and tools. But for the love of God, I am not using its armor, which is ungodly expensive and doesn't measure up, damage boost wise, to the last tier of Thorium armor (or even some before that if you are a throwing class). Sure there's good defense and health boosts, but when you need to beat something like the jungle dragon like ten times to make the lesser sets it really doesn't stand up too well.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Well I found one but it's right next to the temple. Will try to set up the teleport roadway anyway, wish me luck :).

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Well that didn't work, Plantera de-spawned when it got down to half health. My runway was 175 tiles, is that too many? I'm using the teleportation trick strategy discussed in the wiki and I watched a couple of vids on it as well.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Magic Storage is really super good. I got the mod that makes an artificial altar and all is well.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Crimson Harvest posted:

Magic Storage is really super good. I got the mod that makes an artificial altar and all is well.

Speaking of Magic Storage, I downloaded that and the TML GOG patcher for my version of the game, but I can't figure out how to install it. Could anyone tell me how to do that? I think that this mod would be very useful if I could install it properly.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

What is wrong with this teleporter set up? The teleporters will only teleport to themselves

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Lorini posted:

What is wrong with this teleporter set up? The teleporters will only teleport to themselves

Oooooh, I know this one! I ran into the same problem and it confused the heck out of me for a while. The answer is... orange wire is not a thing. You've got red wire overlaid on yellow wire, making it appear orange. Two sets of wiring means that the teleporters activate twice when you hit the switch, sending you back to where you started. Break one of the circuits and it should work again.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

So now that tml has fixed some of the out of memory errors ive decided to activate every single large pack i could find. Theres so much item bloat i cant figure out how to do anything. Its greatbad.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Thanks, killed Plantera easy peasy with the teleporter hall set up. Now for yet another problem :(

Why won't the truffle move into this house? I've been away from the house for literally days and he won't move in. The dryad that I've moved around has moved but the truffle won't come. Any help much appreciated.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
It's kind of hard to tell from the picture, but that doesn't look like a mushroom biome. The mushroom man only moves into houses that are in the mushroom biome. You need way more mushrooms than that; the background will turn into giant mushrooms.

And the house should be made out of mushroom stuff too, for style points.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

If I remember, the Mushroom biome has to be underground, also.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

In addition to that, you've checked that it's valid housing, right? You might need a floor that's not mud.

EDIT: I mean the "are you sure that's actually a mushroom biome" thing, my mushroom guys have, like everybody else, always lived floating above ground level.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Infinite Karma posted:

If I remember, the Mushroom biome has to be underground, also.

Nah, he will happily live on the surface as long as it's actually in the biome. Be sure the background image and music have changed to the mushroom biome.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

grimcreaper posted:

So now that tml has fixed some of the out of memory errors ive decided to activate every single large pack i could find. Theres so much item bloat i cant figure out how to do anything. Its greatbad.

I hope you have some inventory storage mods activated as well because otherwise every single underground run will make it fill with different junk from each mod before you're two minutes in.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You want about 1 - 1.5 screenwidths of mushroom grass, and build the cabin in the centre. When you stand in the cabin you should have the 'giant mushroom' background showing (if it isn't you need more mushroom grass).

If you run out of horizontal space then dig a tunnel just under the surface, line it with mud, and plant glowing mushrooms there too. Having two lines on-screen means you only need half as much width.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Sep 12, 2017

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

You're going to need a metric fuckton of blue mushrooms for Shroomite gear anyway, so setting up a mushroom farm would be a cheap way to increase the density near your mushroom dude's house. Layer mud and empty air on top of each other somewhat like this. You can even set up dart traps on the empty air layers to automate the collection process.

They're pretty inexpensive to tile like this and you don't have to worry about how long your surface mushroom biome is.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Thanks everyone, I'll re-do it. Where do you put the house in that pic?

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

Lorini posted:

In the image there you could put the house in the middle on the upper bricks and it should count, if not there's space for a couple more rows of mushroom grass. Don't forget that it's the blue blocks you're after for biome-ness, not actual mushrooms. That means you could line the inner surface of that brick structure with mud.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Lorini posted:

I think I wound up putting the house just under my mushroom farm for lack of anywhere else to put it. What usually works really well for me is having five or six short rows of mushroom grass blocks. According to the wiki, you need 100 blocks of mushroom grass in order to create an artificial mushroom biome. So as long as you meet that minimum, it's whatever works best to get you there.

I think it said the game measures the 50 blocks on either side of you, and the 40ish above and below for determining biomes. So you gotta fit your mushrooms in that, admittedly, wide area.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Yep worked like a charm and I have my autohammer. Now for the big decision. I have a Megashark, a Clockwork Assault Rifle, a Daedalus Stormbow, a grenade launcher and a Chlorophyte Shotbow. So which Shoomite mask do I make? I don't mind farming for something else, noting I have not beaten the Golem or Fishron.

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Sep 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Make all three unless you have a weapon you really like and probably won't change