Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Lightning Knight posted:

If you spent years in jail for daring to bring forth evidence that your nation had committed atrocities, under administrations from both parties, you'd have a chip on your shoulder too.

Besides, Chelsea Manning doesn't do anything now. She's a Twitter personality who sometimes posts her personal political views and sometimes her fabulous fashion pictures (like for real though goddamn), but the important things that make her worth knowing about happened a decade ago and anybody still taking a second to whine about her is being a prick.

If she's tweeting dumb poo poo about both parties being the same in the same week where trump bans transgendered people from the military and dismantles DACA, she deserves some pushback. I'm not sure people taking the time to treat her political views seriously and comment on them is some terrible crime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

or more importantly, it isn't on the people who could be victimized to not act in self-defense because their attackers may at some point in the future potentially relent
Sure. That's a given.

Kokoro Wish posted:

Note that while they treat people out of being Nazis and White Nationalists, their real prescription for stopping these groups is to basically stop treating vulnerable/isolated people like poo poo so they don't get attracted to groups like this in the first place. Especially the mentally ill, who are targeted overmuch. It's a fight for societal change I can get behind, plus an actual long term solution to the problem. Fight and confront these people on the street, by all means, but know you're only fighting the symptoms instead of treating the cause of the infection.
Now you're talking prevention, and while I agree, you're not addressing what to do with actual extant Nazis, which is: do whatever it takes to neutralize the threat they represent. If you can make them all stop being Nazis, great! But, if not, you've got to get more creative.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

>treat her views seriously
>write screeds about how she only gets a pass for being trans

hm.

hmmmmm.

HMMMMM.

Also it literally doesn't matter what dumbshit things Manning does or doesn't tweet, she's still done materially more than anybody in this thread ever has or will in terms of exposing the bad things our government does in our name and she spent years of her life in federal prison for it. "Both sides are the same" is like the lowest hanging bad opinion fruit, who honestly cares?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

JeffersonClay posted:

If she's tweeting dumb poo poo about both parties being the same in the same week where trump bans transgendered people from the military and dismantles DACA, she deserves some pushback. I'm not sure people taking the time to treat her political views seriously and comment on them is some terrible crime.

This transgendered people deserves to be tarred and feathered for her views on gender politics. So say I, the guy whose views are synonymous with losing.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Lightning Knight posted:

If you spent years in jail for daring to bring forth evidence that your nation had committed atrocities, under administrations from both parties, you'd have a chip on your shoulder too.

Never forget John Kiriakou. The only person arrested and convicted in the CIA torture scandal.

And he was the loving whistleblower.

Thanks Obama. This is the legacy I will always remember you for.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Y'all just keep taking the bait.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mister Facetious posted:

Never forget John Kiriakou. The only person arrested and convicted in the CIA torture scandal.

And he was the loving whistleblower.

Thanks Obama. This is the legacy I will always remember you for.

What are u talking about, Obama freed the whistleblowers, much like he freed the Guantanamo prisoners and amnestied immigrants! That's why respectable liberals call him the best president ever!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

JeffersonClay posted:

The easiest way to get me to stop posting here is for you to stop posting easily disproven nonsense. I just can't resist low hanging fruit.

Yeah but Joy Reid is really dumb and bad dude, like to the extent that I think even you would agree about it. She has posted roughly a zillion hilariously bad takes since the election.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah but Joy Reid is really dumb and bad dude, like to the extent that I think even you would agree about it. She has posted roughly a zillion hilariously bad takes since the election.

If the wrongness of JR were self-evident as you claim, she wouldn't be a subject to a nearly cult following. If somebody parrots JR's viewpoints, you need to assume they are completely honest simply because there are thousands of people who see her as a relevant political analyst.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Lightning Knight posted:

>treat her views seriously
>write screeds about how she only gets a pass for being trans
"Both sides are the same" is like the lowest hanging bad opinion fruit, who honestly cares?

Yes, ignoring her like some cute trans mascot is actually worse than engaging with her politics on their merits.

steinrokkan posted:

This transgendered people deserves to be tarred and feathered for her views on gender politics. So say I, the guy whose views are synonymous with losing.

Excellent reading fail here.

Ytlaya posted:

Like that might well be true but I don't think "Julian Assange is a megalomaniacal rapist" and "democrats shouldn't spend a lot of effort trying to appeal to white supremacists" are among them, as Condiv apparently does.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ Yeah, but at a certain point part of posting/arguing in good faith is to only address the best arguments made by the people you disagree with. Condiv obviously has a very strong tendency to just credulously interpret anything he sees in a way that supports his own narrative of politics, etc, but there are also other posts that are much better.

Also, while the "fascist sympathizer" stuff might seem dumb (since I'm sure you probably don't actively hold any views that are particularly fascist), the main point is that you have the sort of political views/opinions that result in allowing such harmful movements to grow without real resistance. Like, I hate to do a Godwin, but Germany's petit bourgeois liberals - who probably didn't necessarily hold Nazi views themselves - effectively ended up aiding the Nazis through similar inaction and not resisting them until it was too late. To be clear, I don't think we're hearing down the path to Nazis taking power or anything; the argument here is just that you're the sort of person who would be complicit in allowing such a thing if it actually did happen.

steinrokkan posted:

If the wrongness of JR were self-evident as you claim, she wouldn't be a subject to a nearly cult following. If somebody parrots JR's viewpoints, you need to assume they are completely honest simply because there are thousands of people who see her as a relevant political analyst.

Yeah, but JC's posting has always struck me more as someone who just has a bizarre contrarian hatred towards leftists than someone who is ideologically committed to Hillary and what have you (like all the hillfolk twitter people or Fulchrum). His style is more to just focus on the lowest hanging fruit of things he sees leftists (or people otherwise opposed to the mainstream Democratic Party) saying than to specifically come out in support of the most dumb things liberals post.

Let's just test this instead. JC, below are a few Joy Ann Reid tweets that are unambiguously hilariously dumb. I'm gonna generously assume that you would agree these are some phenomenally dumb takes.

https://twitter.com/dwdavison9318/status/888480332214927360
https://twitter.com/JoyAnnReid/status/861312867018174465
https://twitter.com/JoyAnnReid/status/774288003678277633

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Sep 1, 2017

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

You shouldn't ignore her because she's a "cute trans mascot," you should ignore her because she's not relevant anymore. That's not a criticism - she paid her dues. But her opinions don't matter and she's not posting anything particularly offensive. Come back if she posts something racist and I might give a poo poo.

Seriously you're whining because someone who spent time in federal prison to expose American war crimes is posting troll opinions that people in this thread routinely argue for, that's so lame and pathetic.

wowser that's actually a lot worse than I had seen in other places.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Imagine centrists as ¡Jeb; low-fiving Trump... forever.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
This is my favorite Joy Reid moment.

https://twitter.com/William__Hicks/status/885473850636587008

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Chelsea Manning is insanely good and brave and I wish she was my friend. Her Twitter takes are generally win.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, but JC's

Just to clear up any possible disagreements, when I said JR I meant Joy Reid not the poster know as JeffersonClay.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

JeffersonClay posted:

Like that might well be true but I don't think "Julian Assange is a megalomaniacal rapist" and "democrats shouldn't spend a lot of effort trying to appeal to white supremacists" are among them, as Condiv apparently does.

Casting left-Dems' proposed strategy as "trying to appeal to white supremacists" is, in fact, a terrible, extremely misleading take.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Also a kinda ironic one given the amount of centrists who are very insistent that the fash should have the right to terrorize communites at will and the intended victims are just as bad for defending themselves.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Lightning Knight posted:

You shouldn't ignore her because she's a "cute trans mascot," you should ignore her because she's not relevant anymore. That's not a criticism - she paid her dues. But her opinions don't matter and she's not posting anything particularly offensive. Come back if she posts something racist and I might give a poo poo.

"There's no difference between the democrats and republicans" is offensively dumb. If tweeting about Chelsea Manning' tweets is a dumb waste of time, what is posting about people tweeting about Chelsea manning' tweets?

Ytlaya posted:

Also, while the "fascist sympathizer" stuff might seem dumb (since I'm sure you probably don't actively hold any views that are particularly fascist), the main point is that you have the sort of political views/opinions that result in allowing such harmful movements to grow without real resistance. Like, I hate to do a Godwin, but Germany's petit bourgeois liberals - who probably didn't necessarily hold Nazi views themselves - effectively ended up aiding the Nazis through similar inaction and not resisting them until it was too late. To be clear, I don't think we're hearing down the path to Nazis taking power or anything; the argument here is just that you're the sort of person who would be complicit in allowing such a thing if it actually did happen.

Oh Jesus, gently caress that noise. If you don't think Bernie would have won you're aiding the Nazis is some brain dead logic.

quote:

Yeah, but JC's posting has always struck me more as someone who just has a bizarre contrarian hatred towards leftists than someone who is ideologically committed to Hillary and what have you (like all the hillfolk twitter people or Fulchrum). His style is more to just focus on the lowest hanging fruit of things he sees leftists (or people otherwise opposed to the mainstream Democratic Party) saying than to specifically come out in support of the most dumb things liberals post.

I have to share a coalition with y'all. Smart leftist arguments actually help the Democratic Party--I see no reason to refute them. Dumb leftist arguments, like for instance "there's no difference between the parties", harm the Democratic Party and are intensely annoying. Dismantling those arguments both feels good and benefits us all. And since you won't police yourselves, I've found a niche.

quote:

Let's just test this instead. JC, below are a few Joy Ann Reid tweets that are unambiguously hilariously dumb. I'm gonna generously assume that you would agree these are some phenomenally dumb takes.

Those are dumb tweets.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

gently caress off and iron your poo poo colored shirt elsewhere.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Amazing trolling from the Observer

https://twitter.com/observer/status/903429077469716480

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The point of "both parties are the same" is to say that the democrats are just as reprehensible as the republicans, not that their actions in every situation are completely the same.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Quit responding to Jefferson clay you God damned morons. It isn't practice. Practice would be going to the gun range.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

saying both parties is the same is stupid, because one is an elephant and the other is a horse

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Majorian posted:

Casting left-Dems' proposed strategy as "trying to appeal to white supremacists" is, in fact, a terrible, extremely misleading take.

She was criticizing the idea that democrats should try to win back trump supporters. If that's not your strategy, don't get upset at the statement? Did she make any reference to the left at all in that interview? I don't see it in the transcript.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Elotana posted:

Amazing trolling from the Observer

lmao

things this article gets right: the rest of the country is actually substantially more conservative than anyone on this website is, mostly on social issues. This is very much so a bad thing.

things this article gets hilariously wrong: Mark "the nerdiest nerd to ever nerd" Zuckerberg literally could not beat any of the people he lists that are also probably going to run individually, let alone all together.

Either way gently caress Zuckerberg, he's awful and he's not going to win poo poo.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Jizz Festival posted:

The point of "both parties are the same" is to say that the democrats are just as reprehensible as the republicans, not that their actions in every situation are completely the same.

That's still an offensively stupid argument.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

JeffersonClay posted:

I disagree with it, but I don't see how it's offensively stupid. The democrats are pretty awful.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

JeffersonClay posted:

You're right. Bill Clinton actually went further than the GOP ever could with regressive social, criminal, financial, and workerist policy.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Mister Facetious posted:

You're right. Bill Clinton actually went further than the GOP ever could with regressive social, criminal, financial, and workerist policy.

It was the spirit of the times! Peer pressure! I was already the uncool kid because I hadn't gotten my ear pierced with along everyone else! He had to deregulate financial crap or they'd never have elected him to a....third presidential term!

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

JeffersonClay posted:

remember back when hillary voted for building a wall to keep mexicans out

good times

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I can see a very good personal argument why Manning would feel both parties essentially are the same (ie both parties ignored her being tortured).

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Mr Hootington posted:

Quit responding to Jefferson clay you God damned morons. It isn't practice. Practice would be going to the gun range.
I suggest everyone take this advice it's really good

best post in this thread :tipshat:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, at a certain point, when a poster very clearly isn't going to ever give up a position, what is there left to say?

It is probably more useful to talk with posters who new to the thread who have now idea what is going on.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Tbf, without JC, this thread would be a tenth of its size and involve dissecting meaningless Twitter fights.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
lmao what is this loving awful take http://www.politico.com/story/2017/09/01/antifa-charlottesville-violence-fbi-242235

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

shrike82 posted:

Tbf, without JC, this thread would be a tenth of its size and involve dissecting meaningless Twitter fights.

That would be fine by me. Talking about ways to push the window to the left and make progressive discourse and policy viable beats having to deal with wobbly centrists trying to make excuses to themselves about why their deathgrip on the party will finally yield positive results now, if you lefties don't muck it up, just wait and see!

And yeah, it's kind of creepy how basically every 'liberal' website and newspaper suddenly started talking about Antifa in tones usually reserved for Timothy McVeigh.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I watched that video about recognizing fascist tells, did Trump seriously make the OK sign when he was denouncing the "very bad people on the left?"

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Please please please don't let the ok sign mean fascism to you now. Don't be a dipshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Ytlaya posted:

^^^ Yeah, but at a certain point part of posting/arguing in good faith is to only address the best arguments made by the people you disagree with. Condiv obviously has a very strong tendency to just credulously interpret anything he sees in a way that supports his own narrative of politics, etc, but there are also other posts that are much better.

first, joy ann reid liked a quote from a guy who just got done calling chelsea manning a traitor and claimed she was receiving more leniency than she deserved cause she's transgendered. like, she liked that guy's response to chlesea manning's response to his article. it's p obvious she hates transgendered people when she buys into the bullshit of jamie kirchick like that.

https://twitter.com/fudgeposner/status/903255081117655041

https://twitter.com/xychelsea/status/903281024125329408

https://twitter.com/jkirchick/status/903307065963278338

JC is arguing in bad faith cause he's trying to separate context from joy reid's actions, cause he would like to imagine it was just some tweet taking a swipe at assange in a vacuum.

quote:

that's what fascist sympathizer means ytlaya. he takes the side of nazis, and does it gladly and willingly. call to action is one of the only other ones who pull this poo poo that i call a fascist sympathizer. it's not like i go around calling anyone who disagrees with me a sympathizer. just people who pull poo poo like this:

JeffersonClay posted:

He's not saying both sides are bad and he's not parroting trump's rhetoric. He's criticizing antifa initiating violence at a previously nonviolent protest. He doesn't have a problem with a bunch of counterprotestors showing up and peacefully standing up to a bunch of idiot Trump supporters. He has a problem with antifa turning a nonviolent protest into a violent one.

he credulously believed idiot claims that antifa made a protest violent, rooted around for more idiot claims that antifa turned things violent when he was called out, and then when people told him to gently caress off en masse for that, he searched hard so that he could try to find a way to make antifa look bad.

he's a fascist sympathizer through and through.

Condiv fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Sep 2, 2017

• Locked thread