Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Kale posted:

Yeah I think I get it now and I accept that completely. Just because I don't see things in terms of race and skin color doesn't mean other people don't nor will they suddenly stop actively using racist sentiment as a tool with which to poo poo on people and keep them down for no good reason. It doesn't magically make the racism problem go away nor does it do anything to help the people who have to deal with systemic and culturally ingrained racism every single day of their lives. We're seeing it at the highest levels of the U.S government now and it's some scary poo poo.

Looking back I can see how that post could have been interpreted as invoking white privilege when viewed from this angle. I'll try to be more considerate about those things in the future.

I'm still not happy it took so long for me to get an explanation on why my post didn't play well with some in a way that makes sense to me. Once Koalas just came out and said it it made all the sense in the world to me that there was another angle that I might not be considering. Admittedly I just wasn't thinking about it from that angle nor did I really consider the idea of a whitewashed MLK vid. It's just a segment that always resonated with me so I looked for a video that specifically highlighted that segment.

That said I got it and it's greatly appreciated in the long run. I don't see how many of the other posters that dog piled helped exactly though. They never ultimately came out in good faith in the long run to explain the nature of their grievance in a way that I could appreciate so much as yelled and tried to make memes about why I'm a horrible human being. Herd behavior basically.

i'm glad you learned your lesson. you're still getting probated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

The Lord of Hats posted:

I mean, obviously he's full of poo poo, but is this enough to actually bring him down? I'd always figured that was going to be related to him lying about what he knew during the transition.

He's as dirty as anyone else in the administration and I'm not talking about his rear end full of horse cock.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Koalas March posted:

Real talk: if you didn't join the forums to dunk on lovely people I don't want to know you

Like don't even breathe in my direction

I can't even remember why I joined the forums, it was literally half my life ago.

Reality is so loving strange.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
So it is September.

Here are some September predictions. although predictions are pretty crazy to make at this point:

1. There will be at least minor ripples in the economy from Harvey, as the prices of some goods go up. This will make the retail situation even more difficult than it already is. Trump won't be able to wave a magic wand and make gas prices go back down, which he will probably blame on Democrats not cutting regulations enough. It will play to his base, but it might be the first concrete sign for some people that a President has to be actually competent, and tough talk can't make problems go away.

2. There will be other tropical events, ranging from the inconvenient to the catastrophic. Depending on the path of Irma and the storm developing behind it, we could have anything from wind off of the Carolinas to Houston being reflooded. A more dangerous flood will bring up an existential realization about environmental issues, as well as the role of government in preventing and cleaning up from them.

3. The neonazis have played their hand, after Boston, they won't try to have other massive rallies. There will still be thinkpieces about So Much For The Tolerant Left, but they will kind of taper off as we move on to other things. There will still be dangerous right wing extremists, but they will move to other venues, at least for a while.

4. Mueller et. al. are going to continue to make leads. My own guess is that the smoking gun isn't ready yet, but we will have at least two or three stories where we find once again that someone who denied something was found to do it. Or someone new will have seen to have some backdoor connection with Russia. All of this won't "move the needle" much, but it will put Trump further on the defensive.

5. For certain, there will be constant stories about White House palace intrigue, hints every two or three days that Tillerson/McMaster/Matthis/Kelly is about to leave, but I don't think it will happen yet.

6. The legislative agenda will probably be set by McConnell and Ryan when they reconvene on September 5th. Congressional news will be more important. With a few exceptions, they are going to just try to get the stuff through, and Trump will just sign off on it. Especially with Harvey and the Debt Ceiling, congress is going to try to avert disaster.

7. There will be at least one big inflammatory story on a social issue, where Trump ignores some important business to tweet out about Muslims, Gays or Mexicans, etc. It will cause a big struggle, the Adults in the Room will Express Concern, but it won't move approval numbers much. It will probably have the biggest impact if Trump is seen as ignoring a serious developing crisis to do it.

My own guess is that September will mark a sort of stalemate, not a turning point. Everyone will kind of be acknowledging that things are on the brink of disaster, but the idea will be that congress and such will be sweeping stuff under the rug, trying to pretend it doesn't exist, to get things done. I mean, I could be wrong, Mueller could drop a motion to indict tomorrow, but I feel that September will be a time of muted anxiety rather than full-blown crisis.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

R. Guyovich posted:

he didn't actually learn a lesson, you will find out shortly.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Koalas March posted:

Real talk: if you didn't join the forums to dunk on lovely people I don't want to know you

Like don't even breathe in my direction

I'm 99% sure I joined the forums to dogpile Toblerone Triangle threads in Helldump.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

glowing-fish posted:

1. There will be at least minor ripples in the economy from Harvey, as the prices of some goods go up. This will make the retail situation even more difficult than it already is. Trump won't be able to wave a magic wand and make gas prices go back down, which he will probably blame on Democrats not cutting regulations enough. It will play to his base, but it might be the first concrete sign for some people that a President has to be actually competent, and tough talk can't make problems go away.

otoh expect the commercial prices of alligators, fire ants and poop water to plummet. stock up now wise consumers

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Ague Proof posted:

Isn't Hatch just a less electable Mike Pence?

Hatch has principles, intelligence and a sense of humor. So yes, less electable.

He is also 83. What the presidency of an 83 year old man who jumped three spaces to become president would look like is anyone's guess.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Calibanibal posted:

otoh expect the commercial prices of alligators, fire ants and poop water to plummet. stock up now wise consumers

Now I am imagining like some type of new 4 Loco style beverage, but it has live fire ants floating around in it. Only for the TRULY XTREME TEENS.

n3wt
Dec 22, 2005

Cabbit posted:

I can't even remember why I joined the forums, it was literally half my life ago.

Reality is so loving strange.

I think I might have joined the forums because I was a long time lurker who got annoyed at the word censorship for non members (gently caress grates at you after a while) . Or maybe it was the realisation, after running forums for some folks, that it costs quite a bit. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Kale
May 14, 2010

R. Guyovich posted:

Me too. Do what you gotta do, when the dog pile started I knew I was getting probated no matter what anyway cause that's how it works in D&D every time that I've seen. It's like how fighting works in Blades of Steel, the guy that gets mobbed is the one that gets put in the penalty box.

Google Butt posted:

he didn't actually learn a lesson, you will find out shortly.

I almost find it humorous now that people are steadfastly committed to this I'm a terrible human being narrative that is incapable of learning to appreciate a perspective he hadn't entirely considered. People on SA have very little faith in their fellow poster I've learned. On a level I sort of get it because people in general are kind of lovely, but I guess we'll see eventually what's what won't we. Another thing I learned today too is that a lot of people in this thread joined the forum specifically just to poo poo on another user. That's something to consider heavily for posterity.

Before I'm probated I figure it's worth mentioning that tech billionaires Michael and Susan Dell are starting a drive to donate $100 million to Harvey relief efforts starting with $36 million. Between that, Beyonce and some other things Trumps $1 million out his own pocket but maybe not actually really because why would he ever actually do anything remotely decent looks awful small. Just wanted to get that out there to inject some level of positivity back in the thread because not everything should be sour and miserable all the time in it.

The Lord of Hats posted:

I mean, obviously he's full of poo poo, but is this enough to actually bring him down? I'd always figured that was going to be related to him lying about what he knew during the transition.

In terms of making an obstruction of justice case I'm not sure you could ask for much more of a smoking gun the letter is what it sounds like.

Kale fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Sep 2, 2017

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Calibanibal posted:

As a person who has experienced a number of floods in Texas, I can say that there is nothing quite like facing the dilemma of moving though almost chest deep poop water (in waders), seeing a dinner plate-size raft of fire ants being swept directly towards you, and having to choose between contact with the ants or risk splashing the water to get out of the way.
(I chose the latter, but I'm allergic to fire ants.)

Never seen an alligator during a flood though.

n3wt
Dec 22, 2005

glowing-fish posted:

I feel that September will be a time of muted anxiety rather than full-blown crisis.

well august was supposed to be a vacation and turned into nuclear threats, staff gaffes, nazi endorsements.
If they can find a way to keep him signing papers to happy clapping and keep Fox News off as much as possible then maybe you won't get a government shutdown. If he tries to intervene with congress or conduct various anti minority actions then it'll be the winds of poo poo just like the past few months.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Mr Interweb posted:

Hey guys, good news. Seems that crying nazi was just JOKING about killing Jews. GET IT?

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/09/lawyer-for-crying-white-supremacist-chris-cantwell-insists-client-was-just-joking-about-genocide/

IT'S JUST AN PRANK BRO!! :qq:

Racial/ethnic jokes only work if you're making fun of your own heritage, not trying to wipe them out others.

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/886536959409238016

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

Kale posted:

when the dog pile started I knew I was getting probated no matter what anyway cause that's how it works in D&D every time that I've seen

have this in your will as the copy for your tombstone

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Koalas March posted:

i love that every gbs shitposter who talks about my gifs uses the word "sassy"

not a dogwhistle

fun fact: if you search the forum for "sassy gif" it's 3 pages of people talking about me all using the same term :allears:

yeah whereas if you search "bad / 0 content post" and your name the forums break

Kale
May 14, 2010

terrorist ambulance posted:

yeah whereas if you search "bad / 0 content post" and your name the forums break

Can we just rename the thread to "Insult Comedy Thread 2017" and be done with it. Then I can migrate over to the new Trump politics thread a month or so from now with the people that still consider that matter topical and urgent and then possibly everybody wins. People get their 2017 version of Hell Dump and the people that want to talk about the U.S President, matters like Harvey and ongoing issues in the United States can do that without the Don Rickles poo poo going on all around them.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Lol holy gently caress just read the last 30 pages or so...the American left doesn't need to worry about fascists, you'll loving eat your own before you see any semblance of power. Incredible.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
What is it with Canadian posters and being total idiots about race relations

We've gone through this whole song and dance with another canadian poster like a year ago

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

terrorist ambulance posted:

holy moly shots fired.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Kale posted:

Can we just rename the thread to "Insult Comedy Thread 2017" and be done with it. Then I can migrate over to the new Trump politics thread a month or so from now with the people that still consider that matter topical and urgent and then possibly everybody wins. People get their 2017 version of Hell Dump and the people that want to talk about the U.S President, matters like Harvey and ongoing issues in the United States can do that without the Don Rickles poo poo going on all around them.

For someone who complains about people not talking about Trump you sure do post about other posters a lot.

What's so topical and urgent we must discuss about Trump yet you seem to never be able to post about it?

Tarezax posted:

We've gone through this whole song and dance with another canadian poster like a year ago

Don't ask them about First Nations peoples.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

AmiYumi posted:

I now feel real weird about Kale being the only poster I remember replying to my last couple'a posts ITT. :smith: Gonna just take some time and really think about my life, up my post quality.

Here's your y-wait wrong forum

Trabisnikof posted:

Don't ask them about First Nations peoples.

Bring this up when they get smarmy about Trudeau! It's a great way to knock the wind out of their sails.

n3wt
Dec 22, 2005

Young Freud posted:

Racial/ethnic jokes only work if you're making fun of your own heritage, not trying to wipe them out others.

Good news is there's a ton of really funny joke material in joking about being a whitey. It's astounding there aren't more comedians making bank on jokes like 'stuff white people like'.
Funny, relatable, not punching down.
Us brits have made making GBS threads on all the types of britishness an artform, would be fun to see how it translates to americans or if it'll stay mostly 'texans are this' 'new yorkers are that' type joking.

Kale
May 14, 2010

squirrelzipper posted:

Lol holy gently caress just read the last 30 pages or so...the American left doesn't need to worry about fascists, you'll loving eat your own before you see any semblance of power. Incredible.

This honestly actually concerns me now even as a non-American. Like what I witnessed today, like I get where I made a mistake, but if I'm a hardcore neo-nazi racist now I don't hold out much hope for this anti-fascist movement in being effective and united against their actual foe and the people that wish harm upon them and others. If the fascists and Republicans come at the coming elections all lock and step like they usually do while the left is tearing itself apart with witch hunts for closet racists in their midst then the left and liberal ideologies don't have a loving prayer. I just have to hope this is an isolated case specific to this thread and the left doesn't piss away yet another golden opportunity to get back in at least one higher level chamber of power.

Kale fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Sep 2, 2017

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

squirrelzipper posted:

People were saying pretty similar things about the GOP not too long ago. Not that I'm a fan of the infighting, mind you.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Tarezax posted:

They have a history of attempting to White-Wash their indigenous peoples.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Tarezax posted:

If you're talking about PT6A, he still posts here.
Canadians like to pretend they're nicer aboot race than us but ask them about Asians and property, or First Nations and crime and they tend to melt down.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Randbrick posted:

Nobody is leaving this loving Applebee's until everybody is god drat clear about where I stand on race war.

lol

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Kale posted:

This honestly actually concerns me now even as a non-American. Like what I witnessed today, like I get where I made a mistake, but if I'm a hardcore neo-nazi racist now I don't hold out much hope for this anti-fascist movement in being effective and united against their actual foe and the people that wish harm upon them and others. If the fascists and Republicans come at the coming elections all lock and step like they usually do while the left is tearing itself apart with witch hunts for closet racists in their midst then the left and liberal ideologies don't have a loving prayer. I just have to hope this is an isolated case specific to this thread.

You're the person who is mad at identity politics because it makes it harder for you to communicate with bigots about video games, I don't think you're exactly going to be the strongest ally when the going gets tough.

Bigots spouting poo poo was enough for you to declare you hate whatever they hate too, why would your behavior change later?

Erostratus
Jun 18, 2011

by R. Guyovich
Please go back to grandpa or mountain chat, or preferably, all of you kill yourselves.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Majorian posted:

People were saying pretty similar things about the GOP not too long ago. Not that I'm a fan of the infighting, mind you.

The GOP can stay on message, that's about all they do but they're loving great at narrative building. Far as I can see the left in your world can't even figure out who's a friend internally, never mind telling a consistent story to the world at large. To borrow a term "Y'all hosed." And now that anyone in a black shirt complaining is a terrorist well lol.

E; and don't the GOP hold all 3 branches? I'm not sure your analogy works.

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Sep 2, 2017

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Young Freud posted:

Rob Reiner has no business telling anybody what is good comedy after North.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

squirrelzipper posted:

The GOP can stay on message, that's about all they do but they're loving great at narrative building. Far as I can see the left in your world can't even figure out who's a friend internally, never mind telling a consistent story to the world at large. To borrow a term "Y'all hosed." And now that anyone in a black shirt complaining is a terrorist well lol.

Where do you live that the Left is unified behind a consistent message?

n3wt
Dec 22, 2005

Kale posted:

This honestly actually concerns me now even as a non-American. Like what I witnessed today, like I get where I made a mistake, but if I'm a hardcore neo-nazi racist now I don't hold out much hope for this anti-fascist movement in being effective and united against their actual foe and the people that wish harm upon them and others. If the fascists and Republicans come at the coming elections all lock and step like they usually do while the left is tearing itself apart with witch hunts for closet racists in their midst then the left and liberal ideologies don't have a loving prayer. I just have to hope this is an isolated case specific to this thread.

Don't worry, the left in England is crippled by infighting and the left in France exploded in a backstabbing frenzy in the last election.
We care, which means we have a tendency to care about purity over what'll get us any power to do good. Eventually we'll find a consensus about the basics and rally. For now, we try and convince the centrists that the downtrodden matter and that capitalism needs to be balanced out by a hefty dose of socialism.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Erostratus posted:

Please go back to grandpa or mountain chat, or preferably, all of you kill yourselves.

im working on it

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

So thread, how about some anecdotal experiences? How are Republicans in your personal lives feeling about Trump? It's probably like 20-80 in terms of people who like him vs. people who hate him for a variety of reasons for me.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
If you think the online fascists don't partake in the same kind of endless bickering and pile ons that go on in here, I don't know what to tell you. Every political movement's online base is constantly at war with itself for the dumbest poo poo.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Grapplejack posted:

So thread, how about some anecdotal experiences? How are Republicans in your personal lives feeling about Trump? It's probably like 20-80 in terms of people who like him vs. people who hate him for a variety of reasons for me.

I took a hammer to all of their skulls after the election, so I'm betting they're feeling pretty bad about their votes now.

(Even in their unhammered states, they either refuse to talk about anything political at all or they double down on "RESPECT THE PRESIDENT'S AGENDA OR YOU'RE A TREASONOUS COMMIE BASTARD" with the latter being more prevalent among older individuals.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

Where do you live that the Left is unified behind a consistent message?

That's a fair question, I'm an Australian who lives in Canada so yes, preacher heal thyself perhaps. But the difference is neither of my countries has elected a loving idiot yam fascist - the US did. So perhaps the urgency for the left there is a little more pronounced, or at least should be. Is the left unified where I live? No. Do I have literal nazis marching in my cities? Again no. Circular firing squads are dumb at the best of times but they can be tolerated when there's not existential threat. The US doesn't currently have that luxury.

• Locked thread