Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

anroid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

https://hal.inria.fr/hal-01575519/document

quote:

On Android, disabling Wi-Fi is not necessarily sufficient to prevent the device from sending WiFi
frames as some devices still generate Wi-Fi frames after Wi-Fi has been disabled. Therefore,
disabling Wi-Fi is not enough to escape data collection by Wi-Fi tracking systems.
To prevent the device from sending Wi-Fi frame, it is necessary to disable two features on the
device: both Wi-Fi and the "Always allow scanning" option must be disabled in order to have
a silent device. On some devices this option is not even available, meaning that the user cannot
prevent its phone from sending Wi-Fi frames.
Although most recent versions of Android include MAC address randomization [1], there are
still a number of devices that are not supporting this feature. The MAC address randomization
feature has been introduced in version 6.0 of Android, and as of today 54.2% of Android devices
are using an older version [2]. Furthermore, MAC randomization is activated provided that the
hardware supports it, which is rarely the case as of 2017 [6].

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

hahahahahahahaa

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

looooool

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Anroid.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

lol

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

what happened to your av

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

OldAlias posted:

what happened to your av

both flattered/laughing my rear end off at someone giving enough of a poo poo about a terrible poster like myself to buy me a custom av, but also a little upset because i worked hard on my av/name combo

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
yeah, gently caress whoever changed it

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

drat fool they were even if that is a pro show ref that av was :discourse:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Agile Vector posted:

pro show ref

:agreed:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Oreo kernel hardening
https://android-developers.googleblog.com/2017/08/hardening-kernel-in-android-oreo.html?m=1
summary:
KASLR, PAN, not dumb copyin/copyout, lock down init rw section.

it's great to see android get security features that the iOS kernel has had for years. and since android kernels don't get updated even in devices that get updates, no phone out there today will ever get these.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Quick check for a friend: anroid?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

goldmine

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
the phone doesnt even exist, it was all just an elaborate identity theft/cc fraud scheme

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

The Management posted:

Oreo kernel hardening
https://android-developers.googleblog.com/2017/08/hardening-kernel-in-android-oreo.html?m=1
summary:

it's great to see android get security features that the iOS kernel has had for years. and since android kernels don't get updated even in devices that get updates, no phone out there today will ever get these.

duh thats how you harden oreos; just leave them out on the counter for a while

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Doesnt this mean your phone could like, violate FCC regs because its busy handshaking the in-air wifi over and over. Of course you're supposed to have your phone powered off anyway but, well.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Larry Parrish posted:

Doesnt this mean your phone could like, violate FCC regs because its busy handshaking the in-air wifi over and over. Of course you're supposed to have your phone powered off anyway but, well.

aiui it's not handshaking, just broadcasting an identifier and listening for base station broadcasts

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

The Management posted:

Oreo kernel hardening
summary:

Is ASLR mandatory or an opt-in/opt-out scheme because I have bad news about the real world if it is the latter

Weed goku
Aug 25, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
girlfriends dad wont give up android because he is convinced people will think hes gay if he gets an iphone.

dude is almost 70 and looks like a hobo who knows the best spots to collect cans.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Weed goku posted:

girlfriends dad wont give up android because he is convinced people will think hes gay if he gets an iphone.

dude is almost 70 and looks like a hobo who knows the best spots to collect cans.

has he told you to get an iphone yet??

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

more likely weed goku has an iphone already and thats why he thinks that

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
lol who's parachute is that

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Weed goku posted:

matches the android stereotype, best leave him alone.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

A Pinball Wizard posted:

lol who's parachute is that

whom'sve

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Gay! Hahahahaha!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i knew it

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

tables,etc.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

im the lack of a space between the two sentences

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
my (u.s.) moto defaulted to uk english. I haven't changed it because I like when it says that files have been moved to the bin or asks if I want to turn on the torch

pram
Jun 10, 2001

lol

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

my (u.s.) moto defaulted to uk english. I haven't changed it because I like when it says that files have been moved to the bin or asks if I want to turn on the torch

colour. haha I fuckin love britties. they are so silly

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
BONGHITZ

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
It's bonghits (uk eng)

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
my new television has android so that means it's a tremendously laggy piece of poo poo that'll drop frames from what I'm watching if I hit any of the menu buttons. also the volume slider takes an eternity to respond.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

my new television has android so that means it's a tremendously laggy piece of poo poo that'll drop frames from what I'm watching if I hit any of the menu buttons. also the volume slider takes an eternity to respond.

name and shame

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

you should return it to the store and get your money back.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

yeah don't put up with anything that is that unusable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weed goku
Aug 25, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!

Yeah please let us know what it is so we can a) never buy it and b) shame the company who designed it