Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Iron Crowned posted:

I saw all the Harry Potter movies once and I sure as hell don't remember Depp

He appears at the end of Fantastic Beasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Ah, I never cared enough about Harry Potter, and I was with other people for all but the last one, so yeah, I never saw that one.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Fantastic Beasts was way better than I was expecting it to be. I really liked how the main character would shift from awkward nerdy guy to badass safari professional whenever he was actually in his element.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
The best thing Depp has done in the last decade was that fake documentary where he played Trump.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Electromax posted:

The best thing Depp has done in the last decade was that fake documentary where he played Trump.

Wow, you're not joking. I just looked over his IMDb and the last thing that he was good in (besides the Trump doc) was, what, Rango? Maybe Public Enemies? I'm shocked at how much garbage he's been able to fit into the last five years alone.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Electromax posted:

His trump is awful.

I dunno I think Depp is just completely poo poo these days.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Christopher Walken in a fat suit would be the best Trump. Or Klaus Kinski if he wasn't dead.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Casimir Radon posted:

Christopher Walken in a fat suit would be the best Trump. Or Klaus Kinski if he wasn't dead.

That's not fair, Donald Trump is only on record of wanting to gently caress his daughter, not actually doing it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Skwirl posted:

That's not fair, Donald Trump is only on record of wanting to gently caress his daughter, not actually doing it.
The last scene of Aguirre is incredibly prescient.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sony has picked up distribution for The Crow reboot that constantly fails to get off the ground. Every time they cast a lead said lead eventually takes off because there's no forward progress on actually making a movie.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Snowman_McK posted:

The book is fantastic, since it's really Ellroy dealing with his mother issues (his mother was murdered by his father, who then vanished) but it doesn't really translate to the screen, especially with a lead as passive as Josh Hartnett.

I wouldn't have thought LA Confidential translated to the screen, either, but they did an amazing job with it. I can't think of another adaptation that changed so much from the original source and still produced something that loving great.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Phanatic posted:

I can't think of another adaptation that changed so much from the original source and still produced something that loving great.

Wizard of Oz?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Phanatic posted:

I wouldn't have thought LA Confidential translated to the screen, either, but they did an amazing job with it. I can't think of another adaptation that changed so much from the original source and still produced something that loving great.
Starship Troopers

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Phanatic posted:

Jurassic Park is way, waaaay better than the source material, and the characters are drastically different between the two version, with some favorites from the film even dying in the novel.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Phanatic posted:

The Shining.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Under the Skin is vastly different from the book but I love them both.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Most of the best movies based on books diverge pretty wildly from the source.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Skwirl posted:

Most of the best movies based on books diverge pretty wildly from the source.

I've heard Jaws and The Godfather exceed their source material but never read or saw them. The Shining (as mentioned above) is debatable.

Starship Troopers though. Just give me the power armor scenes. And it was a decent satire but not what I expected.

The most faithful Starship Troopers adaptation is actually Blackhawk Down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQqPbg6pfwo

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

syscall girl posted:

I've heard Jaws and The Godfather exceed their source material but never read or saw them. The Shining (as mentioned above) is debatable.

Starship Troopers though. Just give me the power armor scenes. And it was a decent satire but not what I expected.

The most faithful Starship Troopers adaptation is actually Blackhawk Down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQqPbg6pfwo

there's actually a bunch of CGI Starship Troopers movies that have book accurate power armor, they're terrible movies though.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Skwirl posted:

there's actually a bunch of CGI Starship Troopers movies that have book accurate power armor, they're terrible movies though.

"Invasion" also has weird CGI boobs if you've wondered what that would look like.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Snowman_McK posted:

"Invasion" also has weird CGI boobs if you've wondered what that would look like.

I would guess Dizzy dies on the way up? And down?

And up again and then down?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Snowman_McK posted:

Were angelina jolie's as Medusa cgi?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

got any sevens posted:

Were angelina jolie's as Medusa cgi?

Those were sort of...hinted at. They thought their work on 'Invasion' was good enough for a close up.

It isn't. It's just weird.

syscall girl posted:

I would guess Dizzy dies on the way up? And down?

And up again and then down?

A good post.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

syscall girl posted:

Others:

- Fritz Lang's Die Nibelungen
- Barry Lyndon
- Guy Ritchie's Sherlock Holmes :v:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

syscall girl posted:

I've heard Jaws and The Godfather exceed their source material but never read or saw them.

you uh have never seen jaws or the godfather? bizarre place for you to post.

(but yeah they are both way better than the books. in jaws the book hooper fucks brody's wife and she tells him a fantasy she has of a black handyman having sex with her. and the shark actually does die from drowning due to the barrels they harpoon to it. also there's a whole mafia subplot with the mayor which does better explain why he wants to keep the beach open despite the shark attacks. the godfather book is just pulp and there's a subplot about a character's vagina being too large so she finds true love with another character with a very large member.)

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Sep 2, 2017

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Jaws is one of the worst books I have ever read. Also its not just a sex fantasy, its a rape fantasy.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the opening scene is actually well done but yeah the rest is pretty garbo. i thought it was a rape fantasy i just wasn't 100 percent sure as i read it 20 years ago.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Others:

- Fritz Lang's Die Nibelungen
- Barry Lyndon
- Guy Ritchie's Sherlock Holmes :v:

Don't know why anyone hasn't include Fight Club in this list. Palahnuik even says this on the DVD commentary, the screenwriter picked up on elements like the whole soap-to-Holocaust connection that slipped by him.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

nm

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Young Freud posted:

Don't know why anyone hasn't include Fight Club in this list. Palahnuik even says this on the DVD commentary, the screenwriter picked up on elements like the whole soap-to-Holocaust connection that slipped by him.

The biggest improvement from the source material is that Project Mayhem actively kills people in the book, which detracts from the whole "Robin Hood" aspect, and in turn muddies some of the themes of the story. Also, not for nothing, the ending twist plays much better on screen than on the page, because there are way more ways to play with the reveal on a visual level, which Fincher does admirably.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Groovelord Neato posted:

you uh have never seen jaws or the godfather? bizarre place for you to post.

(but yeah they are both way better than the books. in jaws the book hooper fucks brody's wife and she tells him a fantasy she has of a black handyman having sex with her. and the shark actually does die from drowning due to the barrels they harpoon to it. also there's a whole mafia subplot with the mayor which does better explain why he wants to keep the beach open despite the shark attacks. the godfather book is just pulp and there's a subplot about a character's vagina being too large so she finds true love with another character with a very large member.)

I lied a little I very recently saw Jaws (with the rifftrax) and saw a bit of godfather when i walked in on someone else watching it.

I know the thing where they hide the gun in the bathroom through cultural osmosis but the bit I saw was the guy getting killed with piano wire in the car.

That was so brutal that at the time I was just turned off to the whole thing. And I know I saw the bits with Brando at the beginning too.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Godfather and Godfather Part II are still two of the best movies ever made, but I still with Paul WS Anderson could be made to try to make this version of the story for real:

http://www.somethingawful.com/awful-movie-database/the-godfather/

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Groovelord Neato posted:

the godfather book is just pulp and there's a subplot about a character's vagina being too large so she finds true love with another character with a very large member

/in extremely mumbly Brando voice You come to me on this day, with your giant pussy...

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

syscall girl posted:

I lied a little I very recently saw Jaws (with the rifftrax)

the gently caress is wrong with you.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Fart City posted:

The biggest improvement from the source material is that Project Mayhem actively kills people in the book, which detracts from the whole "Robin Hood" aspect, and in turn muddies some of the themes of the story. Also, not for nothing, the ending twist plays much better on screen than on the page, because there are way more ways to play with the reveal on a visual level, which Fincher does admirably.

I forgot that "Jack" kills his manager with a homemade Claymore mine made from a CRT monitor, a handful of screws, and gasoline (BTW, if you where wondering what was going on when Project Mayhem vandalizes the computer store, that's a reference to this bit).

Yeah, that back half is handled very well despite going away from the adaptation and ending differently. I like the reveal of the police detectives alone with Jack are Project Mayhem members way better than it is in the book.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Groovelord Neato posted:

the gently caress is wrong with you.

I don't care for a dumbass movie about a killer shark?

In fact I don't care for shark disparagement. They are the true victims.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Fart City posted:

The back of my paperback flat out says Tyler is a fake person

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Davros1 posted:

The back of my paperback flat out says Tyler is a fake person

That's amazing.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

syscall girl posted:

Yeah but why haven't you seen Jaws?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

syscall girl posted:

you're posting in a movie subforum and have never seen one of the best movies ever made.

• Locked thread