Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Crimson Harvest posted:

An accurate assessment of every religious schism.

Appropriate time for Emo Philips on religion:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=l3fAcxcxoZ8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Crimson Harvest posted:

An accurate assessment of every religious schism.

It is like Religions have a whole class of people who sit around and think and write on this poo poo 24/7.

For thousands of years.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

RuanGacho posted:

Im going to take this moment to pivot and ask why more people arent concerned with Trumps religion because they sure as hell were convinced Obama was muslim (read: black/unamerican). While Trump needs no help destroying his relationship with the business community, some good and needed damage could be done to his approvals if we can get him to attack the religious, which I don't imagine should be hard with a narcissist. Maybe PJ has some insight into that or why it hasn't really happened yet.

The religious right do not care about their candidate's morals or their faith particularly. They vote on two issues and two issues only - gays and abortion. Everything else is secondary. They know that no matter who the R candidate is, they will do more to advance pro-religious right policies than whoever the D candidate is. This election, there was also a vacant SC seat in the mix which was a huge incentive for the religious right to come out. You could have literal Satan running on the GOP ticket and the religious right would still vote for him if it meant another conservative Supreme Court Justice.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Jesus Wept.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Fred Slacktivist Clark has been beating this drum for probably more than a decade now

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Out of curiosity, how do you even get a phone with no browser or way to go to the internet but also had access to twitter?

Is he actually yelling tweets from the oval office out to a secretary to post?

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Gyges posted:

Out of curiosity, how do you even get a phone with no browser or way to go to the internet but also had access to twitter?

Apparently yes.

Also, I guess the POTUS gets a special phone with a custom software load.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Gyges posted:

He probably just doesn't know how to use them and uses a twitter app.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

RuanGacho posted:

Im going to take this moment to pivot and ask why more people arent concerned with Trumps religion because they sure as hell were convinced Obama was muslim (read: black/unamerican). While Trump needs no help destroying his relationship with the business community, some good and needed damage could be done to his approvals if we can get him to attack the religious, which I don't imagine should be hard with a narcissist. Maybe PJ has some insight into that or why it hasn't really happened yet.

It was never about religion. Barack Obama is black. Donald Trump is white. We don't need to check his credentials religiously; the credentials are his skin.

That's how the evangelicals can handwave it all away. There is no cognitive dissonance because there is no conflict.

-----------

Labor Day Weekend, y'all. For all my NoVA goons out there, we're kicking off the governor's race in earnest. You've probably started getting the robocalls already. It's gonna be a big one. After Charlottesville became the thing that it did, I'll be taking any volunteers who want to take part in keeping a governor who'll clamp down on this poo poo in Richmond. PM me if you like. We've got 63 days to do this thing right.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/09/01/opinion/civil-rights-protest-resistance.html

Waiting for a Perfect Protest?

"The reality — which is underdiscussed but essential to an understanding of our current situation — is that the civil rights work of Dr. King and other leaders was loudly opposed by overt racists and quietly sabotaged by cautious moderates. We believe that current moderates sincerely want to condemn racism and to see an end to its effects. The problem is that this desire is outweighed by the comfort of their current circumstances and a perception of themselves as above some of the messy implications of fighting for liberation. This is nothing new. In fact, Dr. King’s 1963 “Letter From Birmingham Jail” is as relevant today as it was then. He wrote in part:"

quote:

I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro’s great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizens Councilor or the Ku Klux Klanner but the white moderate who is more devoted to order than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says, “I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can’t agree with your methods of direct action.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Xae posted:

It is like Religions have a whole class of people who sit around and think and write on this poo poo 24/7.

For thousands of years.

But you're still getting it wrong? Like "Evangelical protestants rejecting original sin" is accurate only in words, not in deeds and practice, which makes your original rebuttal to the inquiry false. Then the idea that "Catholics invented original sin" is only accurate as far as the modern term we think of. They ripped the idea off wholesale from other theologians and brought it into their doctrine, but that doesn't make them the only ones who believe in the concept.

Like, you're making GBS threads out pedantic religion 101 to sound smart, when the question was clearly one of American modern culture.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/axios/status/904022575709290497

At which point his staff presumably replied, "Well no loving poo poo, dumbass, who the gently caress did you think you were working for?"

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Helen Highwater posted:

The religious right do not care about their candidate's morals or their faith particularly. They vote on two issues and two issues only - gays and abortion. Everything else is secondary. They know that no matter who the R candidate is, they will do more to advance pro-religious right policies than whoever the D candidate is. This election, there was also a vacant SC seat in the mix which was a huge incentive for the religious right to come out. You could have literal Satan running on the GOP ticket and the religious right would still vote for him if it meant another conservative Supreme Court Justice.

Evangelical churches also are stuffed with people who have been told for decades that R = godly and D = literally an agent of Satan (square this for the Clintons). They start from there and work their way backwards to justify their support of a GOP candidate. Trump has just made this process much more obvious and I think should put to rest the idea that Evangelicals will stay home and not vote if the GOP runs the polar opposite of a Santorum or Huckabee type candidate.

Young evangelicals on the other hand are much more likely to be untied to a party and trend more left than older church members. They still skew conservative compared to other millennials and are too few in number to really make much impact in the evangelical community as a whole. The old guard of most churches work very hard to keep un-vetted millennials out of any sort of position where they can affect policy and/or leadership.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

DaveWoo posted:

https://twitter.com/axios/status/904022575709290497

At which point his staff presumably replied, "Well no loving poo poo, dumbass, who the gently caress did you think you were working for?"

So over/under 2 weeks until he is fired/resigns.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Oh for gently caress's sake, media

https://twitter.com/GarrettHaake/status/904030231568232449

https://twitter.com/GlennThrush/status/904032979340681217

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

We see Trump the grandpa all the time - just "grandpa who forgot to put on pants" and not "kindly, wisdom-dispensing grandpa"

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Were those kids white? I'm pretty sure that's something that makes him less hostile for a photo opportunity that doesn't require him to break a sweat. Also yeah, he's always been a racist grandpa here. That isn't exactly endearing.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
The media are like a dog. No matter how many times you cruelly pretend to throw the ball and then laugh maniacally as they search for it, this time, this time the pivot is real and finally you'll be presidential.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch
None of that matters though because he was just on MSNBC talking about how great things are going down there and how wonderful it was meeting the victims.

Great. Wonderful.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Did Reagan ever go down to a disaster area and interact with victims? I only ask because that nice image collage of Presidents comforting people only goes down to Clinton.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Yep. Trump's a grandpa. He's the grandpa at the family reunion that you don't leave your daughters alone with.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Koalas March posted:

Yep. Trump's a grandpa. He's the grandpa at the family reunion that you don't leave your daughters alone with.

Unless the sons wear suits, I wouldn’t be willingly leaving them either.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

I really want these people to die.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Did Reagan ever go down to a disaster area and interact with victims? I only ask because that nice image collage of Presidents comforting people only goes down to Clinton.

Don't know why that collage couldn't find one of the billions of photos of Clinton doing his feeling your pain face though.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Grassy Knowles posted:

Appropriate time for Emo Philips on religion:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=l3fAcxcxoZ8

this is a pro click for being one of the best religious jokes ever

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Koalas March posted:

Trump's the grandpa part of the family is fighting over whether or not we leave him to die in a nursing home. The other half are just hungry to get the best parts of the will that they'll still be hosed out of.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Crap I'm going to be in Baltimore all next week. RIP me.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
Donald Trump has always reminded me of my Grandpa.
That's the tl;dr explaination of why I would never even consider voting for him.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I just realised miller is my age, gently caress.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/904037997234057216

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Oxxidation posted:

I really want these people to die.

:same:

In some kind of way that helps them realize they were wrong and poo poo people just beforehand preferably.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/juddlegum/status/904038771657773056

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Sylink posted:

I just realised miller is my age, gently caress.

He's more of a failed homunculus, don't sweat it too much.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

what the gently caress

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

KillHour posted:

Crap I'm going to be in Baltimore all next week. RIP me.

The official NHC forecast only goes five days out, at which point it will pass the northern edge of Puerto Rico. Even that has some uncertainty: it can at this point go into the Caribbean, hit Florida or the East Coast, or spin out into the open Atlantic.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Lightning Lord posted:

If we're still doing dollar chat, I would put Octavia Butler on a bill.

Ahem...

Pages late but since I missed grandpa chat too, here's a suggestion. Except it'll only be worth $19.99 not $20:

why do we put pictures of people on money anyway? I assume to combat counterfeiting?

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Bullfrog posted:

what the gently caress

I think the meaning is that the response has been good for people to watch, but "happy", "wonderful" and "beautiful" would not be the top three adjectives I would choose.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Labor Day Weekend, y'all. For all my NoVA goons out there, we're kicking off the governor's race in earnest. You've probably started getting the robocalls already. It's gonna be a big one. After Charlottesville became the thing that it did, I'll be taking any volunteers who want to take part in keeping a governor who'll clamp down on this poo poo in Richmond. PM me if you like. We've got 63 days to do this thing right.

Thanks for what you're doing. Keeping VA blue and hopefully flipping the Assembly is the the best way of meaningfully improving the lives of those around us. I'm in Richmond but I've been getting calls for a while now, which is very good.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Have the Trump people ever given indication yet of defunding Obama's big neuroscience initiative?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Mueller must acquit.

• Locked thread