Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

FlamingLiberal posted:

Supposedly she is getting her own movie with Silver Sable. I think that comes out before Homecoming 2 but I could be wrong.

Aren't those movies just Sony with no connection to the MCU stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

twistedmentat posted:

When I say Penis, you say Parker!

Penis!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Parker!

Though I've heard a few people complain about how Peter didn't help at all with the team winning the trivia contest, and how that lessened him, but I felt his absence was actually a good character moment for the supporting cast. This isn't a group of characters that are helpless without the main character around to baby them.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

twistedmentat posted:

Aren't those movies just Sony with no connection to the MCU stuff?
Yes, Sony is attempting to make money off of their other properties that will not be connected to the MCU. The only one of those they announced that sounds interesting is the Tom Hardy Venom movie

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Ojjeorago posted:

You're like the Beetlejuice of racism.

it's incredible that you thought this was a salient own

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

SonicRulez posted:

I was speaking with some friends about why Spider-Man Homecoming was such a great movie. One of the points I kept kinda mentally coming back to is that it's the first movie that I think really benefits from the shared universe thing. Like every movie before it was part of setting up the MCU. Homecoming was the first payoff. There have been a few MCU movies that I might even say were hampered for having to do shared universe things (sorry Iron Man 2). Spider-Man gets to revel in it, even more than the team ups like The Avengers or Civil War. It just drops you into a story without an origin, but everyone is already down for the ride because we all know how the MCU works now. It's a celebration of Marvel's big cinematic gamble that they both do and do not get enough credit for. Because honestly the set up was VERY shaky and it could've fallen apart at any time. Homecoming was real good. My biggest regret is I only paid to see it the one time.

I think Iron Man 2 is mostly fine, but what needed to happen was Tony finding out his father stole from...whip guy and then worked together with him to create the purer...thingy.

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

TFRazorsaw posted:

I don't think it's hearsay what people said about Perlmutter. Ike Perlmutter is racist. That's pretty clear.
"What people said" is the definition of hearsay.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I don't care who makes a Batgirl movie because Batgirl is a boring concept that doesn't need a movie. The reason people always cite wonder woman when they want to talk about DC female heroes that don't suck is because she's not the derivative girl version of a much more popular character. You might as well make a Robin movie, and I know some of you are stupid enough to think that'd be a good movie too, and there's nothing I can do about that.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Lurdiak posted:

I don't care who makes a Batgirl movie because Batgirl is a boring concept that doesn't need a movie.

Cassandra Cain would like to have words non-verbal communication with you.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Lurdiak posted:

You might as well make a Robin movie, and I know some of you are stupid enough to think that'd be a good movie too, and there's nothing I can do about that.

Let’s take a peek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiZuvJ48MZ0

Hmmm. You may be on to something.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Falstaff posted:

Cassandra Cain would like to have words non-verbal communication with you.

You know they'll make it Barbara Gordon, just like there's no way a Green Lantern movie wouldn't be Hal Jordan. Everything has to be boring and silver age or Geoff Johns can't get it up.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Some day a hot shot up and coming writer is going to do terrible things to Stargirl.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Rhyno posted:

Some day a hot shot up and coming writer is going to do terrible things to Stargirl.

As long as the writer doesn't have an aviation background, Stargirl will be fine.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I would appreciate a Bat Family movie about the time that Dick was Batman, Damian was Robin, and Stephanie was Batgirl. I'll have to imprison a genie and get him to use a Monkey's Paw while riding a shooting star for that to happen, but I still want it.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Honestly, I think the only way to do a new Batman movie that isn't completely retreading on what Nolan did is to make Dick Grayson or Barbara Gordon the protagonist.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Those are strange ways to spell Terry McGinnis.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I wouldn't mind a Cassandra/Damian flick about growing up in the league of Assassins

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What if Batman dies in this movie and that's why the rumors are so strong about Affleck leaving? He is, but not for why people think and it's a huge secret why.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I certainly remember more jokes than that in the pilot. It isn't realistic, it's a parody of modern realistic superhero properties.

Child Arthur sees the ship of his favorite superhero team crash into and kill his dad, then each member killed one by one by a supervillain, then the supervillain saunters over, pats him on the head, and steals his ice cream.

Is that dark? Incredibly so, but to the point of parody and with a sense of comedic timing.

I disagree, I think the pilot pushed the trauma but not with the intent of parody, but rather dissonance, and the follow-up to the flashback wasn't meant to be particularly funny. Tick, IMO, also came across as deeper into his insanity. The rest of the episodes are funnier and a bit more light-hearted/parody-focused, and Tick slides a bit away from the pilot to something closer to (but still different from) the naive optimist buffoon.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'd be so down for a Batwoman film, but I can't see DC being gutsy enough to do that.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Koalas March posted:

Maybe I interject because black people should participate in conversations about racism? I don't get how me calling out racism when I see it is a bad thing. I usually try to joke around and be light (the gifs) because it's a serious subject and people get defensive as gently caress. The people who accost me for "interjecting" into topics about race usually use that argument as a silencing tactic. One of the reasons I was made a mod was to bring another perspective to the forums and call out racism that may not be obvious to others.

There is also a huge difference between saying Terrance Howard should not be subjected to racism, and me defending him as a person. I am not doing that.

You're the worst kind of insufferable prick. The kind that thinks they're bulletproof because they hide behind a genuinely sensitive topic that they actually know nothing about, and which rarely has anything to do with anything anyone is talking about. But sure, because you're the one 'calling out racism' then you're clearly the good guy here and not at all talking out of your arse, right?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Okay, as someone who was arguing with Koala, what the gently caress? They don't deserve that.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

CityMidnightJunky posted:

You're the worst kind of insufferable prick. The kind that thinks they're bulletproof because they hide behind a genuinely sensitive topic that they actually know nothing about, and which rarely has anything to do with anything anyone is talking about. But sure, because you're the one 'calling out racism' then you're clearly the good guy here and not at all talking out of your arse, right?

What if you had posted about a comic book movie instead of outing that you think black people shouldn't have the floor on discussions of anti-blackness? Imagine the possible timeline we could be in.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

CityMidnightJunky posted:

B Personal attack
I Black person "knows nothing" about racism
N Racism isn't relevant to X
G Meltdown every time I post outside of D&D Free Space

damnit, I was so close

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Sooo Justice League is probably gonna be bad. I wonder if there'll be two different cuts on the home video release and how different they'll be from each other.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Koalas March posted:

B Personal attack

damnit, I was so close

FREE SQUARE!

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

JT Smiley posted:

Sooo Justice League is probably gonna be bad. I wonder if there'll be two different cuts on the home video release and how different they'll be from each other.

I kinda hope that there will be 2 versions. This might be the editing nerd or director in me, but I think it'd be awesome to see 2 different visions of the same movie.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

purple death ray posted:

This thread is going nowhere fast

Maybe time for a new one, finally? I'll get to work on it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Little Mac posted:

Maybe time for a new one, finally? I'll get to work on it.

Be sure to mention in the OP that Dick Tracy starring Warren Beatty is the best superhero movie of the 1990s.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Koalas March posted:

I kinda hope that there will be 2 versions. This might be the editing nerd or director in me, but I think it'd be awesome to see 2 different visions of the same movie.

have two versions, but don't tell people who directed them. Then when they find out they loved the Whedon cut they can commit seppuku

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
let's go back to talk about lurdiak's awful batgirl take because what the gently caress

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Koalas March posted:

It's just going to be so weird as both guy's styles are so different from one another. I just can't see it working well.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

This thread is for discussing comics movies, keep personal poo poo out of it. Read your post before you post it and If your post is about another person in this thread, delete it and move the hell on. If you want to discuss bigger issues like race as they pertain specifically to comic movies then keep it on topic and as long as there are no personal attacks against other posters and the discussion keeps a certain level of decorum it's fine. If you want to go into deeper discussions about those topics I understand but this isn't the thread or subforum for that and I'm sure there's one somewhere else on this forum. If you want to be an rear end in a top hat or just argue to argue then kindly move on to another thread.

X-O fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 2, 2017

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

Koalas March posted:

B Personal attack

damnit, I was so close

Free space is on N, maaan

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Koalas March posted:

B Personal attack

damnit, I was so close

I'll give you the Bingo, because you keep getting blamed even though I did it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

let's go back to talk about lurdiak's awful batgirl take because what the gently caress

Batgirl being a sucky character is actually a pretty great take.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Actually, it's not cool and not good

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Koalas March posted:

Maybe it's not so common a thing that it's a rule, but it feels like all these heavily reworked in reshoots movies send their replaced footage or original cuts directly into a black hole and try to pretend they never existed

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Koalas March posted:

To the best of my knowledge that has happened once or twice before. The biggest example was the prequel to the Exorcist.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominion:_Prequel_to_the_Exorcist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kingdom of Heaven is another well known example. Apparently it makes a bad movie good.

• Locked thread