Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Snak posted:

Seth MacFarlan loves star trek, though. I think it's gonna be a real passion project for him.

He loves the golden age of Hollywood, it didn't stop A Million Ways to Die in the West from being a cowboy hat full of diarrhea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

swickles posted:

Watching 30 Rock on Netflix and just got a "this show is on until October 1st" pop up. Looks like another staple is gone.

gently caress. That's one of my go-to background noise shows when I can't fall asleep

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oh man, now that all of s2 of Blindspot is on hulu, I'm catching up with the back half that I missed. I want the writers of this show to make a Metal Gear Solid show. They have the "this is the most ridiculous, melodramatic poo poo ever played completely straight" thing down pat.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Siffy shitcanned Dark Matter.

http://tvline.com/2017/09/01/dark-matter-cancelled-syfy-season-4/

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
And gave killjoys two seasons.

Risky move siffy.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Balls... That's what happens when you kill Roger Cross.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Snak posted:

Oh man, now that all of s2 of Blindspot is on hulu, I'm catching up with the back half that I missed. I want the writers of this show to make a Metal Gear Solid show. They have the "this is the most ridiculous, melodramatic poo poo ever played completely straight" thing down pat.

The guy who made the latest Kong movie is tied to an MGS movie, he's been meeting with Kojima and poo poo. Seems like a huge vidya nerd so fingers crossed.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Taboo seems cool. I got through the first episode, then fell asleep in episode 2(because it was late, not because boring).

Also for some reason now that I'm almost done with season 1 of Mr Robot I'm not really feeling it so much. I'm not sure I really dig the whole psychological mind fuckery it has going on.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

esperterra posted:

The guy who made the latest Kong movie is tied to an MGS movie, he's been meeting with Kojima and poo poo. Seems like a huge vidya nerd so fingers crossed.

I can't really see MGS as movie. There are so many twists and turns to do in 2 hours. I mena, you could do MGS3 as a movie, probably. But you'd still cut a lot.

But I loved Skull Island.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, I'm not sure how they'll swing it. If they're shooting for a series of movies then cool, but if it's for sure a one off then MGS would work fine, it stands alone very well and is the least batshit crazy of the games.

That said, I would prefer an MGS3 one off.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

esperterra posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure how they'll swing it. If they're shooting for a series of movies then cool, but if it's for sure a one off then MGS would work fine, it stands alone very well and is the least batshit crazy of the games.

That said, I would prefer an MGS3 one off.

Eh... It stands alone very well with like 4 hours of story and even more context. MGS works because it gives its themes room to breathe. You can't make a movie where we think one thing is going on for the first 15 minutes and them when they subvert it 15 minutes in, we give a poo poo. A big part of MGS works because you are told something is the case and then you have to operate under that premise for an hour before you start to get real intel that it's wrong.

Think about it this way: if every boss in MGS got 10 minutes of development, that would be an entire hour of the movie. That's... Not even close to enough to make them worthwhile characters, and doesn't leave much room for regular action scenes and plot development. Like, the sheer amount of exposition in codec calls is what sets up a lot of the game's story. You can't do that in a movie.

You could tranlate the plot points of MGS into a movie, but it wouldn't have any the qualities that make MGS good.

You could make a good MGS movie, but it would require zeroing in on like one theme, and paring down the story to fit it. Which would be fine, but I'd still rather have a 6 part miniseries that captured a lot more of what mgs is about.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Anything to get Kojima into movies and out of video games.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

No, you're right. It would take quite some reworking and cutting most of the bosses, but the core of the MGS1 story I think could be boiled down well enough into one movie, like if you focused in on more or less just the stuff involving Solid, Liquid, and their shared histories. Any attempt at trying to fit even half the themes or philosophies all over the MGS series into just one movie would be a disaster.

I do agree the property would be best served with some kind of series. I'm curious to see how this will turn out, whether it will be Solid or Naked Snake or what. Assuming it actually makes it to production.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

esperterra posted:

No, you're right. It would take quite some reworking and cutting most of the bosses, but the core of the MGS1 story I think could be boiled down well enough into one movie, like if you focused in on more or less just the stuff involving Solid, Liquid, and their shared histories. Any attempt at trying to fit even half the themes or philosophies all over the MGS series into just one movie would be a disaster.

And at that point... what is the point? It has changed. It's no longer about themes, ideologies or subverting expectations. It's an endless series of visual quotes, conceived by committees. Art, and its expression of life, has become a well-oiled machine. Art has changed. Hash tagged blog posts carry PR promises, using licenses IPs. Datamining guides their content and enhances their appeal. Mimetic control. Information control. Emotion control. Distribution control. Everything is monitored, and kept under control. Art has changed. The age of experimentation has become the age of calculation. All in the name of averting catastrophe from endeavors of risk. And he who controls the distribution rights, controls profitability. Art has changed. When the distribution is under total control, art... becomes routine.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Snak posted:

I can't really see MGS as movie. There are so many twists and turns to do in 2 hours. I mena, you could do MGS3 as a movie, probably. But you'd still cut a lot.

But I loved Skull Island.

Have you been watching Neill Blomkamp's Oats Studios shorts? Because Firebase is the closest thing to a successful live-action MGS I've ever seen, from the crazy tech to the long conversations to the supernatural bad guy powered by rage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tm0V24IEHao

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I've seen it. And I've hears that opinion before. I like it as it's own thing, but its resemblance to MGS is less than superficial.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

LOTR seems like the only time a fan of the source material has made a good adaptation

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Snak posted:

And at that point... what is the point? It has changed. It's no longer about themes, ideologies or subverting expectations. It's an endless series of visual quotes, conceived by committees. Art, and its expression of life, has become a well-oiled machine. Art has changed. Hash tagged blog posts carry PR promises, using licenses IPs. Datamining guides their content and enhances their appeal. Mimetic control. Information control. Emotion control. Distribution control. Everything is monitored, and kept under control. Art has changed. The age of experimentation has become the age of calculation. All in the name of averting catastrophe from endeavors of risk. And he who controls the distribution rights, controls profitability. Art has changed. When the hi distribution is under total control, art... becomes routine.

The most important part of MGS is memes imo.

Honestly, I would be chill with a more straightforward action movie about not-Snake Plissken infiltrating Shadow Moses and fighting his clone brother's team of weirdos and battling him while he pilots a helicopter, then on top of a giant walking nuke before riding off into the Alaskan sunrise on a motorcycle w/ a cutie half his age. Because Kojima loves his 80s action movies.

Also I guess we kind of have our answer, this is from today: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-08-31-the-metal-gear-movies-director-wants-to-stay-faithful-to-kojimas-vision

Eurogamer posted:

"It's sort of a mix of things," Vogts-Roberts explains. "I can't go into it too much. It's not a direct adaptation of any particular game. It'd sound too much like a modern statement to call it a remix, because that's not what it is, but it's trying to fuse a couple of different storylines together, and it's all tied together with a device I can't really talk about right now but that I'm really excited about. I think it's going to make a movie where people go 'whoah, I've not seen that before', and that's very cool. And I think it's very Kojima in its approach."

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Josh Lyman posted:

LOTR seems like the only time a fan of the source material has made a good adaptation

Requiem for a Dream is an amazing adaptation of a book that is basically just written as stream of conscious thought. But as far as like fantasy or video games or whatever, Game of Thrones season 1 was more or less a perfect adaptation of the first book. After that, though ...

Hannibal is amazing for taking the source material and doing its own thing that is somehow more faithful for it, being able to borrow bits and pieces from all over (so long as it wasn't stuff that originated in Silence) and lifting inner monologue for dialogue in ways that feel natural. I could go on forever about that show being Fuller's love letter to Harris' story, up to and including the good bits from the awful Rising prequel.

Video games has, uh ... I would honestly say Silent Hill, if only for the direction alone. The script was god awful, and veered off path into missing the point entirely. But the atmosphere and effects were phenomenal, and it just used Yamaoka's music from the games so bonus points there.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
A Scanner Darkly is both more faithful to the source material and just plain better than any of the LOTR movies.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

precision posted:

A Scanner Darkly is both more faithful to the source material and just plain better than any of the LOTR movies.

Such a good movie.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Josh Lyman posted:

Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes and A Nero Wolfe Mystery.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

So much good poo poo this month

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
A while ago my dad got one of those TVs with a concave screen. My brother was just watching an episode of Killjoys on it and it looked like it was a Sky One original from 1996. Is that because of the screen shape or is it supposed to look like that?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Turn off motion smoothing

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yeah it's on by default on a lot of modern TVs for some mindboggling reason. Also each manufacturer calls it something different so you might need to fiddle with the options a bit to get it fixed.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Regy Rusty posted:

Yeah it's on by default on a lot of modern TVs for some mindboggling reason. Also each manufacturer calls it something different so you might need to fiddle with the options a bit to get it fixed.

Wikipedia has a list of a lot of common manufacturer's titles.

And yeah, it's super annoying that even the kind of people who are usually savvy enough to laugh at the idea of stretching video so they use the whole screen still use that awful artificial framerate booster because they want to use every hz of their new TV.

Guy Mann fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Sep 2, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know if they're completely done with Sherlock but Steve Moffat and Mark Gatiss have as their next collaborative project a new adaptation of Dracula. My prediction is that it will star Alexander Vlahos as Dracula and there'll be a lot of very clumsy homoerotic subtext between him and Harker, who'll be played by Russell Tovey, and it will be called "Drac".

After that, I predict that they will move on to a new show called "Wolfe" which adapts Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe mysteries. Archie will now be a woman played by Lara Pulver, except she cries all the time and has to be saved by Wolfe, now a quip-making eye-roller played by Jamie Dornan, who always talks about how he used to be fat.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Most things with an on/off option should be left off. A few exceptions. Also most TVs with a game mode tend to disable all the processing to help with response times, so is often a good place to start.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

drunkill posted:

And gave killjoys two seasons.

Risky move siffy.

Well, I guess this is good news for me. Killjoys scratches my campy 90s sci fi action show itch. Dark Matter lost me early in season 1.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Netflix has added Matt Berry's Toast of London. I'm a big fan of Berry so I'm enjoying it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah Toast is really good. Yes I hear you Clam Fandango.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I remember at a previous job, there was a movie day for the staff because we’d hit some accomplishment. We went to a coworker’s house and watched Wedding Crashers with loving motion interpolation on. What should’ve been a nice treat and break from work made me die inside a little bit.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Okay seriously, what the gently caress is Dad of Light. Why would you do this Netflix//Square

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MiddleOne posted:

Okay seriously, what the gently caress is Dad of Light. Why would you do this Netflix//Square

It's a show about a father and son bonding over FF14

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Looten Plunder posted:

So much good poo poo this month

What website did you use to get the premiere dates and showtimes so neatly?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Why was this made

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Pan Dulce posted:

What website did you use to get the premiere dates and showtimes so neatly?

That's pogdesign.co.uk/cat

Been going for years and is super good. I just wish it had an API or something so you could sync it with other things rather than click by hand.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I'm so happy this exists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm so happy this exists