Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is this about the money limit to avoid paying taxes, or something else?

No. Taxes are due even if he only made $1 on it. This is about federal reporting requirements. Transactions of $10k or more currency require a CTR to be filled out, and it's illegal to "structure" transactions to avoid this. It's largely about money laundering if I recall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

CTRs only have to be filed for cash transactions. Electronic fund transfers and automatic clearing house transactions don't need them.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is this about the money limit to avoid paying taxes, or something else? Is it illegal to make transfers that could be used to avoid taxes if you pay the taxes anyway? It seems like getting paid in cash at work but reporting it on your taxes anyway. Or is it that there's some sort of requirement on the exchange's side that you the customer could be held responsible for them failing to meet?

At this rate, assuming the bitcoins are currently worth 3 million, it would take 600 days to cash out. If Bitcoin increases, it could take even longer.

I really hope this guy gets a financial advisor and becomes one of the only GWM things to ever come out of bitcoin. He pretty much gave a friend a $6,000 car because he didn't expect the digital fun money to ever actually be worth anything.

Any transfer of $10k or more requires reporting simply to say, "Hey I'm moving $10k and it's not going to terrorists, look at this legit income stream." You're committing a crime if you move $10k of your own cash through an airport without filling out that form and you're committing a bigger crime if you do $5k on one day and $5k on another day because that's a structured transaction meant to circumvent AML.

e:f;b

e2:

Solice Kirsk posted:

CTRs only have to be filed for cash transactions. Electronic fund transfers and automatic clearing house transactions don't need them.

Right, and if the exchanges are limiting how much can be withdrawn in cash, guess what they're doing.

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Sep 2, 2017

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

You're mistaking a cash position for currency.

edit:
I worded that first response poorly. CTR's are only used for currency, so paper or coin money.

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Sep 2, 2017

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

You're mistaking a cash position for currency.

So is literally everyone else.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yup, and I used "cash" incorrectly so added to the confusion. Point being, there is no such AML reporting for $10k+ electronic money movements. I think that:

Motronic posted:

More likely they need time to refresh their "actual money" coffers with the money of larger fools in between cash outs.

is probably the reason they have the daily limit.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

Yup, and I used "cash" incorrectly so added to the confusion.

Which is why I said "CTR" and "currency." In any case, we're on the same page here. It's not like they're a bank that knows how much they have on deposit and can (or are regulated to) have a specific cash reserve when anyone can literally just throw the "asset" they are supposed to be covering into their exchange from another exchange or any drat wallet at all in minutes.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

ohgodwhat posted:

It's not a $9,999 limit I hope.

That's for cash transactions, not electronic ones. I am guessing though that these are being sent as wire transfers and that will raise eyebrows. But it doesn't matter if he reports it on his taxes and is honest about it.. His bank is aware of what is happening, and there is a plausible story. As long as he reports the income he should be fine. Structuring is illegal, but the customer is not the person setting the limits and as long as he does not try to conceal the funds or their source he is in the clear.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Risky Bisquick posted:

Was this even with improved daily withdrawal limits?

Yes. We eventually got to the point where we were authorized for $15k per week cash withdrawals, but it took months to get there. At the beginning, every step in the process resulted in a new insufficinet identification or limit error, and the automated systems to move you past that were more often than not broken.

So you'd submit a ticket and the only reply you'd get was the automated response that the help desk was swamped and it would take weeks to get to you. In the meantime would you like some unhelpful FAQ?

And you'd never get an actual response, but if you tried again in a couple of weeks, the system would work and you could move on to the next undocumented hurdle.

I think if we ever got a second donation of that size, i could digest it in about one month now. But dear god, mailing me a check is about 1000x easier.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Devian666 posted:

Saying something reasonable like that is the same as being a neo-nazi apparently

I assume she lives in LA and I can say that 8% home price increases YoY can make any discussion of homes a triggering event. I'm just 9 years away from my down payment =/

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Denver's gotten to the point where you need to make 80k+ to afford a median price home, assuming 20% down payment. 90k+ if you're putting only 10% down.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Blinkman987 posted:

I assume she lives in LA and I can say that 8% home price increases YoY can make any discussion of homes a triggering event. I'm just 9 years away from my down payment =/

Lol 8%. Come to Canada where we've had 30%+ for four in a row. The good news is we're finally turning the corner, hopefully.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Noctone posted:

Denver's gotten to the point where you need to make 80k+ to afford a median price home, assuming 20% down payment. 90k+ if you're putting only 10% down.

My sister just bought a home in Denver and her loan to income ratio is something obscene like 6x.

It's not quiet as bad as it may seem since her husband works, but his income couldn't be counted towards the loan documentation he sells weed.

Still, they're seriously house poor now.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Yeah the market here has been hosed for a few years now with no end in sight.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

:siren:BITCOIN SITUATION INCOMING!:siren:

I've gone back and forth about posting this so I have to be a little careful here, but we had a new client call in today asking if anyone was familiar with Bitcoin. One of the other bankers popped his head into my office and said "Hey Solice, you know about that stupid internet money thing don't you?" so I got the call. He didn't want to talk on the phone about it, but when he came in he pulled up an online wallet he had with.....a lot of Bitcoin in it. Apparently back in 2012 he sold his car to a friend who couldn't pay him in cash so gave him quite a few Bitcoins. He totally forgot about it until he was cleaning out spam emails and noticed a bunch of "statement from your **** Wallet." He's loving terrified of losing these now. The plan we're going with is to sell them off in batches of about 50, wait for the cash to hit the wallet, and then transfer the cash to an account we're gonna open just to catch these funds, rinse/repeat until they're all sold (or stolen/lost). The first sell we placed seems to have gone through and been filled so now we're just waiting the 2-3 business days for the cash to hit the wallet (fingers crossed for him). Should be coming sometime around next Weds.

This is my first time ever working with them in real life so I'm curious if the money is going to really drop in or not. I already told him since these aren't regulated that if he gets any real cash out of them then he should consider it a huge plus and that if even only this first trade works that he's waaaaaaaaaaaay ahead of the game since the car was only worth like $6000. I'll let you know if it works. I'm really curious myself.

I'm preemptively putting it in this thread because I just know something lovely is going to happen. My moneys on the sell showing filled, but then him getting an email saying it actually didn't and us trying this over and over again until he winds up having to sell them one at a time.

Which **** wallet is it, because there really aren't very many that have continued to exist since 2012 that haven't had all the bitcoins disappear or w/e

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Krispy Kareem posted:

My sister just bought a home in Denver and her loan to income ratio is something obscene like 6x.

It's not quiet as bad as it may seem since her husband works, but his income couldn't be counted towards the loan documentation he sells weed.

Still, they're seriously house poor now.

Loan amount vs income makes far less of a difference than debt to income ratio and net cashflow. Loan amount vs income is pretty abstract and its impact on your budget will vary based on interest rates.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

ate all the Oreos posted:

Which **** wallet is it, because there really aren't very many that have continued to exist since 2012 that haven't had all the bitcoins disappear or w/e

He can't and shouldn't share that.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Solice Kirsk posted:

So I guess there's no such thing as a weekend for the BTC market because I just met with him again a few minutes ago. Trade was stopped as it exceeded his daily limit. Looks like we're gonna be doing this in $10k chunks (he has a 10k daily limit on all activity in the account). So we have to do a sell for 10k a day and then set a day aside to transfer the cash out. Eventually he'll just be placing a sell one day and a transfer the next. Gonna take a long time to get his cash out. The stories of it being a pain in the rear end are starting to make more sense. Take two!

The cash positions are FDIC backed and not the actual coins in the wallet. I'll read through that thread, but legally I don't know where my footing is on that. I like this guy, but getting fired for suggesting he look into this stuff wouldn't be worth it. We just fired a banker for telling a client to leave his 401k in a TDF (banker wasn't licensed). This firm is harsh on stuff like that, and if this dude comes in saying some software I suggested didn't stop his wallet from being stolen then I could be out on my rear end.

I'm confused. What is your role in this? I understand that you're helping him to withdraw, but has he given the wallet to you, or are you just providing tech support for him doing it himself?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Why would you even ask this

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

What is the bank account and pin? Just want to check the security out, make sure it's safe.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
This guy sounds like someone I knew in High School. What was his mother's maiden name again? And his first dog...starts with a Sssssssomething....Sppppaniel?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Senor Dog posted:

Why would you even ask this

Unlike banks where there's thousands of possibilities, the number of bitcoin wallet companies that have been in continuous existence since 2012 amounts to like... three. That didn't particularly strike me as "sensitive information" but okay, it's fine.

You should at least verify it yourself because if the emails aren't particularly recent it's very likely to be one of the ones that collapsed and stole all the money.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Volmarias posted:

I'm confused. What is your role in this? I understand that you're helping him to withdraw, but has he given the wallet to you, or are you just providing tech support for him doing it himself?

I just happen to be the banker he got a hold of when he called and asked if anyone here knew about Bitcoin. Can't go into it much more than I have already, and there won't be much more about it since I'm off until Tuesday.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

I just happen to be the banker he got a hold of when he called and asked if anyone here knew about Bitcoin. Can't go into it much more than I have already, and there won't be much more about it since I'm off until Tuesday.

Are you sure he's not scamming you

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Yeah, I'm almost positive that there is some illegal activity going on here. At the very least, you should document everything, comply with all relevant regulations, and assume that everyone involved will attempt to screw your company. I worked in financial fraud and there are huge red flags all over the place with this situation, I would refuse this customer's business in your situation. Cover your rear end.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Konstantin posted:

Yeah, I'm almost positive that there is some illegal activity going on here. At the very least, you should document everything, comply with all relevant regulations, and assume that everyone involved will attempt to screw your company. I worked in financial fraud and there are huge red flags all over the place with this situation, I would refuse this customer's business in your situation. Cover your rear end.

lol

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

There's literally no way he could "scam" me besides wasting a little bit of my time.

edit:
I guess not "literally." I mean, he could be doing all this just to steal lollipops or sit in air conditioning for an hour.

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Sep 3, 2017

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Unlike banks where there's thousands of possibilities, the number of bitcoin wallet companies that have been in continuous existence since 2012 amounts to like... three. That didn't particularly strike me as "sensitive information" but okay, it's fine.

You should at least verify it yourself because if the emails aren't particularly recent it's very likely to be one of the ones that collapsed and stole all the money.

If there were like three of them, couldn't you just, you know, check and look for the one where transactions just started being made recently?

If it's super public knowledge it should be easy to find with the information on hand. If it's not why are you asking.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ranbo das posted:

If there were like three of them, couldn't you just, you know, check and look for the one where transactions just started being made recently?

If it's super public knowledge it should be easy to find with the information on hand. If it's not why are you asking.

I'm asking because this thread was giving lots of advice but unless i missed it nobody said "make sure it actually still exists" and I was curious :shrug:

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

A bitcoin wallet is just a cryptographic private key that lets you control the coins assigned to a certain bitcoin address. You're thinking bitcoin exchanges.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

pr0zac posted:

A bitcoin wallet is just a cryptographic private key that lets you control the coins assigned to a certain bitcoin address. You're thinking bitcoin exchanges.

He's getting emails from somewhere. It's not just "a wallet".

e: I mean tbf it could be a third party wallet but my "most of those got owned since 2012" statement applies to them as well :v:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
I think you need to ask the buttcoin thread in YOSPOS rather than here OP

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

The Juicero founder just posted a video of himself at Burning Man:
https://sf.eater.com/2017/9/1/16244004/juicer-juicer-burning-man-founder-shut-down

quote:

Fire breathing bike dragon. . . . . . . . #vegan #raw #juice #coldpressed #coldpressedjuice #organic #technology #juicing #rawvegan #rawvegansofig #rawvegansfoodshare #plantfood #plantpower #plantbased #veganfood #love #entrepreneur #juicero #fresh #produce #sunset #burningman #fire #firebreathingdragon

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

He's getting emails from somewhere. It's not just "a wallet".

e: I mean tbf it could be a third party wallet but my "most of those got owned since 2012" statement applies to them as well :v:

Yeah he's getting emails from an exchange like coinbase where he has the wallet for the bitcoin he owns. Your question asking for info on the wallet got the reaction it did cause you pretty much asked for identifiers that can be easily used to track the person's bitcoin related financial transactions without realizing it. :3:

It sorta confuses me how most of the blockchain drama fans here don't actually understand the technology behind the community they like to make fun of. I guess it makes sense since most blockchain proponents don't understand the technology either so why bother, but its so much funnier following that stuff when you actually know what's going on.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

pr0zac posted:

Yeah he's getting emails from an exchange like coinbase where he has the wallet for the bitcoin he owns. Your question asking for info on the wallet got the reaction it did cause you pretty much asked for identifiers that can be easily used to track the person's bitcoin related financial transactions without realizing it. :3:

It sorta confuses me how most of the blockchain drama fans here don't actually understand the technology behind the community they like to make fun of. I guess it makes sense since most blockchain proponents don't understand the technology either so why bother, but its so much funnier following that stuff when you actually know what's going on.
I don't know a lot about ICP but that's not gonna stop me from laughing at weirdos in clown makeup.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Use multiple exchanges if you want to expedite the process. It's still going to take quite a while

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

There are other avenues than exchanges like those. LedgerX is coming online soon and if the client can find a broker who is on there, he might be able to get out of his position quickly and safely.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

pr0zac posted:

I probably should have put "**** wallet" in quotes because I was just mirroring the original phrasing, I didn't actually mean to ask for details on the wallet other than where it is.

pr0zac posted:

Are you talking about me or someone else? Because I'd say I have a pretty good understanding of it, I've read the bitcoin whitepaper and laffed at the bitcoin thread for like, geez, 4 years now?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Hoodwinker posted:

I don't know a lot about ICP but that's not gonna stop me from laughing at weirdos in clown makeup.

ICP actually has pretty good opinions on a lot of things and while I'm not gonna stop laffing at weirdos in clown makeup their heart seems to be in the right place :shrug:

I remember someone linked me some ICP lyrics back when they declared their march on washington to protest trump and they were like, bizarrely woke??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

ICP actually has pretty good opinions on a lot of things and while I'm not gonna stop laffing at weirdos in clown makeup their heart seems to be in the right place :shrug:

I remember someone linked me some ICP lyrics back when they declared their march on washington to protest trump and they were like, bizarrely woke??
Yeah I've heard this and I'm sure it's true but I don't have the time or energy to educate myself on a random artist/fandom because they're nice guys.