Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
So does Cold Steel actually let you fiddle around with character releationships, because that was one of my favourite aspects of Tales of Symphonia? :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Not really, aside from your main character's relationships with the other party members.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Really Pants posted:

Not really, aside from your main character's relationships with the other party members.

Which is exactly what Tales of Symphonia had.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Alright then.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Kokoro Wish posted:

So does Cold Steel actually let you fiddle around with character releationships, because that was one of my favourite aspects of Tales of Symphonia? :3:

you can pick your waifu or waifo, which is what really matters at the end of the day

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kokoro Wish posted:

you can choose who to hang out with between classes, there are a few events where you get to pick who you do the event with (Rean goes out on a long-distrance motorcycle trip, chooses someone to bring along, for instance), and the end of the game has a semi-romantic event where you get to choose who to spend it with, but they need to have high affection for them to be an option. A few lategame cutscenes are changed slightly based on who you pick in that scene. (Mostly just who Rean chooses to talk to at dramatic moments)

CS2 has a similar system, but more romantic events, and it carries over data from CS1 for some extra dialogue with people you had high affection with.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Yessssss.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

much like symphonia, you can totally make rean's soulmate the most irrelevant male party member if you want

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The best JRPG dating sim mechanics are in Dragon's Dogma, where your soulmate will inevitably be the blacksmith or innkeeper because you talk to them the most.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Does CS2 have limited bonding points on first playthrough like the first one does?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

WrightOfWay posted:

The best JRPG dating sim mechanics are in Dragon's Dogma, where your soulmate will inevitably be the blacksmith or innkeeper because you talk to them the most.

They fixed that, now it's the nobleman's eight year old daughter.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Red Red Blue posted:

Does CS2 have limited bonding points on first playthrough like the first one does?

Yes.

I estimate the PC version will be out for about five minutes before somebody puts up a clear save for everyone to use.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

But what if they chose a different waifu than me, it just wouldn't be the same

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i'm starting chapter six of cold steel now. its pretty cool. i want to finish it and play the sequel so it's better than 99% of games. i turned sky off almost immediately because of how slow the battles were+being asked to clear out a garden, but this has gone better. once skies has turbo, if it doesn't already, i will have to revisit it...

it seems to have a reverse difficulty curve. on hard mode the chapter 1 boss knocked me around several times before i finally beat it (altho i didnt know you could stack buffs at the time..) but the boss of chapter 5 basically didn't get to do anything and was locked down the entire time. as your options open up it feels like the enemies dont really power up enough to force you to use all of them, so if you do use all of many powers available to you, they just get hosed. the battles are still fun though

the pacing kind of feels weird? like there's no reason why the story can't have lulls but, after the events of chapter 4, having a field task be ANOTHER thing where you find grass for people was...weird.

gaius is cool even if he just says wind now.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
In ff 12 zodiac age, can I sell loot items as I get them? Or do I need to hang on to items until I have everything I need to get something (like the late stage weapons)?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

GulagDolls posted:

once skies has turbo, if it doesn't already, i will have to revisit it...

it do

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Red Red Blue posted:

But what if they chose a different waifu than me, it just wouldn't be the same

CS2 allows importing an arbitrary CS1 save data even if using a CS2 clear save to do NG+.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

If you had to pick between DQ 4, 5, 6 on ds and 8 on 3ds, which one would you guys recommend for someone who has only played Monsters 2 and Joker.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Kingtheninja posted:

In ff 12 zodiac age, can I sell loot items as I get them? Or do I need to hang on to items until I have everything I need to get something (like the late stage weapons)?

don't sell the great serpentskin

sell everything else

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Nomadic Scholar posted:

If you had to pick between DQ 4, 5, 6 on ds and 8 on 3ds, which one would you guys recommend for someone who has only played Monsters 2 and Joker.

They're all good choices but I'd boil it down to 5 for story, 8 for gameplay.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nomadic Scholar posted:

8 Is the easiest in terms of collecting monsters. You just have to be strong enough to beat them in battle once you've progressed far enough in the story, as opposed to scouting chances and such. With 5 you have to beat enough of them and they have to be the last monster you kill and stuff.

edit: Oh, and also all the monsters show up in the field too, so no need to worry about escaping dungeons before being killed or high random encounters.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Hm... They're all standalone stories right?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Hm... They're all standalone stories right?

Yep.

It's difficult because all four of those games are good. However, I think 8 on 3DS is the best of them (the fast-forward button in battle, which you should never turn off, eliminates the worst part about the game). You can always get 1-6 on mobile.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

some guy on the bus posted:

Reminder that I made the bad decision to play on hard to try to make the battles more interesting. (Didn't work) So probably multiply a normal game's length times 2.

Only magic works on enemies! Swords are basically useless. I have to keep returning to town and running back to where I was avoiding enemies because I ran out of magic. Then I keep running into enemies I don't want to fight. I want to run as soon as possible each time but I'm usually ambushed and have to wait. It's such a pain.

you hosed up, and it's your fault

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
In the final dungeon of Cold Steel. Hoping to finish tonight. Demon Gaze is on deck as a sort of cool down after getting really involved and invested in such a long game.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Getsuya posted:

In the final dungeon of Cold Steel. Hoping to finish tonight. Demon Gaze is on deck as a sort of cool down after getting really involved and invested in such a long game.

oh no, oh no...

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Nomadic Scholar posted:

I don't know what Monsters and Joker are like but 5. 5 not only has the best story but it also values your time and is short.

corn in the bible posted:

I did not develop Tits's hard mode.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

oh no, oh no...

Hmm?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

some guy on the bus posted:

I did not develop Tits's hard mode.

it only even exists because it was a psp port addition! gah!!!

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
And normal mode being so easy, mindless, and boring is what drove me to try hard mode. Sometimes that works. I felt that way on Last of Us normal and switching to hard made it kind of awesome. It didn't happen here.

Still I'm going to restart it from the beginning on normal and give it a another shot. I'll just try to forget those 20 hours ever happened.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

how far did you get into normal mode

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Well, guess I'll have to pick up dq5 later, since I just bought DQ 8, these voices own.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
FC's normal mode is pretty mild most of the way through, but SC's has some teeth at times (PENGUINS :argh: ) and 3rd can actually be quite nasty on normal.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Well, guess I'll have to pick up dq5 later, since I just bought DQ 8, these voices own.

5 is great and literally spawned the Monsters subseries since it had random monster recruitment. No insane breeding stuff though

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

FC's normal mode is pretty mild most of the way through, but SC's has some teeth at times (PENGUINS :argh: ) and 3rd can actually be quite nasty on normal.

FC has a massive jump in difficulty for the final dungeon.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Whoever said the play in chapter 2 of Sky FC was uninteresting sucks and doesn't deserve nice things.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

RPG Thread: you hosed up, and it's your fault

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Zaggitz posted:

Whoever said the play in chapter 2 of Sky FC was uninteresting sucks and doesn't deserve nice things.
Joshua :allears:

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
People shouldn't be playing games if they aren't having fun with them, imo

Buying 5 disgaea titles out of anxiety that I was "supposed" to like them only to realize that i actually just hated NIS games and I shouldn't care was one of the dumbest game-related financial things i've ever done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

This is the lesson I learned when I experienced Mugen Souls. Goddamn. Anyway, I've only played DQ8 for a short time and horse princess???