Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time
yeah, but you ever listened to bolt thrower....on cassette??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Cardiac posted:

And no one gets to hear them, so nothing lost in any case.

You people are seriously discussing tapes as a viable way of playing music? Tapes were a loving bad idea 25 years ago and I have not once missed the double tape player on my old stereo.
Ffs good luck playing one in a car even.
Once stuff was started to release on CDs, no one gave a gently caress about tapes.

You know what format I wish would get brought back?

Laser disc. Or whatever they were using in Demolition Man when John Spartan went back to his apartment (I can't find any videos of that specific scene).

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Elrobot posted:

yeah, but you ever listened to bolt thrower....on cassette??

yes

Detective Thompson posted:

There are some bands that release songs (song, really) on 3.5" floppy disks. I'm waiting for some weirdo one-man black metal band to release something on a magnetic wire recording.

Tapes make sense still because they are cheap for bands and labels to produce, and plenty of people still have a deck laying around, either at home or in an older car.

tapes are false only wax cylinder can entry

e: in other news danzig put out a lovely new video and i was all set to make a hilarious and witty joke about him wearing a danzig skull fanny pack when he goes mall-walking with the other geriatrics but fucker disabled comments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EclL-8laqdw

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Sep 3, 2017

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

A TURGID FATSO posted:

Laser disc. Or whatever they were using in Demolition Man when John Spartan went back to his apartment (I can't find any videos of that specific scene).

I'd buy a bluray box set in laserdisc style 12" packaging for sure. Just put the discs next to each other.

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

A TURGID FATSO posted:

Pff you don't know about the three sea shells.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

whoever posted the new Suffering Hour a few pages ago is cool. If u haven't listened to this please do, it rules!

Suffering Hour - In Passing Ascension

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Thanks whoever posted about the new Septicflesh album. It's is really good, and I totally forgot all about those guys.

This thread and this one guy I worked with like 10 years ago but still talk to regularly are basically my only source of new metal music. Keep up the good work, I appreciate it.

Dirt fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Sep 3, 2017

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Dirt posted:

guy I worked with like 10 years ago but still talk to regularly

Isn't that a friend? Very un-kvlt.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Are frenemies kvlt?

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'd buy a bluray box set in laserdisc style 12" packaging for sure. Just put the discs next to each other.

thats not a bad idea

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Cardiac posted:

And no one gets to hear them, so nothing lost in any case.

You people are seriously discussing tapes as a viable way of playing music? Tapes were a loving bad idea 25 years ago and I have not once missed the double tape player on my old stereo.
Ffs good luck playing one in a car even.
Once stuff was started to release on CDs, no one gave a gently caress about tapes.

I still buy tapes. A good cassette deck doesn't cost much. Depending on the metal you enjoy its sorta required. Demos are great in the tape format and there are some types of lo-fi music that just work best in the format.

A better debate might be how the concept of a demo has been lost on a lot of bands, or whenever a good "demo" comes out, people ask for a vinyl release.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
On the topic of old things that have resurged in the last years, Europe just released a new single.

Unlike tapes, this song loving owns and I am unable to stop listening to it repeatedly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNsFSimANzM

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Danny LaFever posted:

I still buy tapes. A good cassette deck doesn't cost much. Depending on the metal you enjoy its sorta required. Demos are great in the tape format and there are some types of lo-fi music that just work best in the format.

A better debate might be how the concept of a demo has been lost on a lot of bands, or whenever a good "demo" comes out, people ask for a vinyl release.

Yeah it's easy enough to just buy a cheap tape deck if you're into a genre that still uses tapes often. You can get a pretty drat good used one for the price of a few records and then it's a non issue.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

dont even fink about it posted:

The general point is that musicians releasing stuff on old formats (besides vinyl, probably) is a gimmick meant to establish cred with people who want to be part of an in-crowd.

But in those genres that I mentioned it's not a gimmick at all, it's a choice made based mainly on budgetary and aesthetic considerations. And in noise or other similar things the tape itself can be directly manipulated to produce sound in a way that other formats can't, so it's sometimes involved in the actual production of the music as well.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I appreciate the use of tapes in the noise scene so I don't have the chance to accidentally listen to much of it.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

A human heart posted:

But in those genres that I mentioned it's not a gimmick at all, it's a choice made based mainly on budgetary and aesthetic considerations. And in noise or other similar things the tape itself can be directly manipulated to produce sound in a way that other formats can't, so it's sometimes involved in the actual production of the music as well.

It's a loving gimmick in 2017

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Care Bear Stairs posted:

It's a loving gimmick in 2017

Right, I guess that punk band that wants to sell tapes for $5 at shows should just press a record instead, to avoid gimmickry.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

quote:

a choice made based mainly on budgetary and aesthetic considerations

An objectively bad choice in budgetary considerations, and as far as aesthetic, that is a gimmick.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
System of a Down kept their albums to strictly 40 minutes so they would fit on one side of a tape.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

An objectively bad choice in budgetary considerations, and as far as aesthetic, that is a gimmick.

How's it bad in terms of budget? You can press 20 tapes cheaper than almost any other physical format(except maybe cdrs but they're a worse format than tapes, most people don't like them, etc). I'm not sure why you think making aesthetic choices is a gimmick, since we're talking about art here.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
The only thing I miss about VHS is showing someone Guinea Pig 2 via a 12th generation bootlegged copy and scaring the poo poo out of them.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

NonzeroCircle posted:

System of a Down kept their albums to strictly 40 minutes so they would fit on one side of a tape.

As a kid it was always a quandary when faced with a 47 minute CD and a 45 minute per side tape. Do you drop the least favorite song? Put the last song on the other side and dub the second album after? Just let it get as far as it can and let it chop off the end?

I swear some songs I still have engrained in my memory where a chop off or tape warble occurred when listening to it as a kid, and still think that's going to happen on the MP3 of it.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

As a kid it was always a quandary when faced with a 47 minute CD and a 45 minute per side tape. Do you drop the least favorite song? Put the last song on the other side and dub the second album after? Just let it get as far as it can and let it chop off the end?

I swear some songs I still have engrained in my memory where a chop off or tape warble occurred when listening to it as a kid, and still think that's going to happen on the MP3 of it.

I've got a few albums with wonky MP3 tracks because they were ripped from damaged CDs and I'm so used to hearing those odd glitches or warbles that when I hear one of those songs on something else without it, I'm confused for a second.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

A human heart posted:

You can press 20 tapes cheaper than almost any other physical format(except maybe cdrs but they're a worse format than tapes, most people don't like them, etc).

Well first things first, lol

Second thing, all of your music should be online at this point, and if you consider that an inconvenient format for selling at shows, well, consider also how loving stupid a tape is even next to that

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

If new Napalm Death is going to be as solid as Apex Predator, i'm pretty hype.

Though my fav album of theirs is Utopia Banished, goddamn that album is great.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Well first things first, lol

Second thing, all of your music should be online at this point, and if you consider that an inconvenient format for selling at shows, well, consider also how loving stupid a tape is even next to that

It's way cheaper and easier to make and transport tapes than records. Many include downloads. Really not seeing the issue here.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
My metal band only puts out music on midi-encoded ticker tape that we hide in condemned houses, for aesthetics

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
:cheers:

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Van Dis posted:

My metal band only puts out music on midi-encoded ticker tape that we hide in condemned houses, for aesthetics

a cinco family product

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSwqnR327fk

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
Last metal release I bought as a cassette was Load by Metallica b/c I was a dumb kid who didn't own a cd player in 1996

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Tape and download code is a popularish thing for local bands here, I think feeling like you have something "physical" for your money goes a long way, even if you never listen to the tape itself.

There's a cafe in Budapest that has a bunch of rock and metal tapes strung together in the window instead of blinds, it looks pretty cool. Saw some Cannibal Corpse and Napalm Death nestling in there amongst half a dozen copies of Appetite For Destruction.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Obfuscation posted:

Last metal release I bought as a cassette was Load by Metallica b/c I was a dumb kid who didn't own a cd player in 1996

Same but Deicide - Once Upon the Cross in '95, I finally got a cd player after that. Then I found out about mp3s in 1996.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

When are minidiscs going to come back into fashion anyway?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

il_cornuto posted:

When are minidiscs going to come back into fashion anyway?

What do you mean 'back in'? They never went away? Right? :ohdear:

Pre-Cambrian Syndrome
Jan 6, 2006

My 2003 Volvo came with an integrated cassette deck. So much loving kvlt in a beige station wagon.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Pre-Cambrian Syndrome posted:

My 2003 Volvo came with an integrated cassette deck. So much loving kvlt in a beige station wagon.

Was it a 240? Because only Volvo 240 is trve, all else is a false.

Pre-Cambrian Syndrome
Jan 6, 2006

Like I'm gonna drive my kid to soccer practice and blast wobbly Bolt Thrower tapes in anything else than a V70.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

New Vassafor track: https://vassafor.bandcamp.com/track/emergence-of-an-unconquerable-one

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Like I'm gonna drive my kid to soccer practice and blast wobbly Bolt Thrower tapes in anything else than a V70.

Many years ago I accidentalliy drove my parents' old 240 into the side of a poor defenseless Honda Civic in a parking lot somewhere. The Honda was not driveable; the damage to the Volvo consisted of breaking the orange plastic cover on one of the turn indicator lights (the light itself still worked fine).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004

i'll dub you a copy of wolverine blues