Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

MMAgCh posted:

Without getting into spoiler territory, how useless is the battle master's Trip Attack manoeuvre going to be in a Storm King's Thunder campaign? Giants in 5E all appear to be Huge, and as far as I'm aware they are the primary type of enemy in the adventure.

We'll hit level 7 next so I could swap it out for something more advantageous then if needed.

Well it can still knock huge enemies down. While their are lots of smaller sized enemies I would probably swap it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Ambi posted:

Right here my being. :justpost:

Well, I was thinking the thread might be sick of "hey I tried to fix the fighter" posts, but this was my attempt.

My thinking was, "okay, the last time the fighter was fun to play was DnD 4th edition. How can I take that fighter, translate it to 5th edition, and also meet the Legends and Lore goals from way back in 2012 that I feel the 5th edition fighter failed utterly to meet? That's tricky, and even drawing influence from the Tome of Battle, I did a lot of thinking, but that's what I came up with. I plan to clean it up and submit it to the DM's Guild later (pay what you want), and then maybe work on other "hit thing with weapon" classes along the same lines.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

dont even fink about it posted:

Everyone at PAX West with interest in WotC stuff is pretty pissed that they don't have a booth or really much of anything. A couple of panels about D&D-related topics, that's about it. I'm not sure Paizo has anything either, though.

Yeah, WotC tried to pull out of PAX East this year. Sounded like it got more expensive? A buddy of mine started a nonprofit to write convention content and DM demo games at New England cons. They ended up convincing WotC to let the nonprofit run games with minimal corporate support since it was a great way to get more players for AL games. Those games and the Aquisitions Inc session were full to capacity and some of those players will def go on to purchase books and start new groups.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well it can still knock huge enemies down.
You mean it can't, I presume? The extra damage can be applied to any target, but only Large or smaller creatures have to make a saving throw and fall prone on a failure.

Our party is very melee-heavy, so knocking enemies prone is a pretty big advantage. No good if they are outright immune to it of course.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

MMAgCh posted:

You mean it can't, I presume? The extra damage can be applied to any target, but only Large or smaller creatures have to make a saving throw and fall prone on a failure.

Our party is very melee-heavy, so knocking enemies prone is a pretty big advantage. No good if they are outright immune to it of course.

Oh I thought Large or bigger had to make a saving throw. Anything below that was just knocked down. My mistake, yeah you should for sure exchange it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

MonsterEnvy posted:

Oh I thought Large or bigger had to make a saving throw. Anything below that was just knocked down. My mistake, yeah you should for sure exchange it.
Jocks automatically succeeding at jock stuff? What kind of game do you think this is?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Player: "I trip the giant."

DM: "Ha! How would a puny man trip something that big? How would that even happen?"

Player: "I don't know, you tell me."

DM: <sweats visibly>

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Mendrian posted:

DM: "Ha! How would a puny man trip something that big? How would that even happen?"

Yeah, that's where the player would lose me. :shrug:

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
DM: you cut his tendon and bring him to his knees?/ you jump on him from high up knocking him down and you ride him like a wave

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Huh the upcoming D&D adventure system board game is being adapted as a video game.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/663380/Tales_from_Candlekeep_Tomb_of_Annihilation/

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

Huh the upcoming D&D adventure system board game is being adapted as a video game.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/663380/Tales_from_Candlekeep_Tomb_of_Annihilation/

That looks like a spiffed up version of the failed Facebook game

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Darwinism posted:

That looks like a spiffed up version of the failed Facebook game

Well it appears to be more of a game. Given that I enjoy the board games this is based on.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

I am cool with that. Adventure System board games are fun. (Assuming they don't do anything idiotic for the upcoming one like try to make it more like 5e than 4e)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
What a loving pointless video.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

goatface posted:

Oh yeah for sure. That was an announcement video but they should have put some game shots with it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Scyther posted:

I am cool with that. Adventure System board games are fun. (Assuming they don't do anything idiotic for the upcoming one like try to make it more like 5e than 4e)

The new Dragon Plus has some comments on the game. I can dig it up. I have not read it myself yet, but their are apparently some changes from the base boardgame.

Edit: Here it is. http://www.dragonmag.com/5.0/#!/article/116136/103586483?loadFresh=true&title=15_11_Tales%20from%20Candlekeep

Edit again: Aww reading through this. It won't be multiplayer at launch. Least they plan on bringing it in later.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Sep 3, 2017

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Yeah, those boardgames are fun as hell, but I'm not sure I want to play through a solo video game version. I'll probably still buy it on the strength of the boardgames if it's in the 10-15 buck range.

goatface posted:

Dungeons & Dragons! Subcontractor's Logo! Genericname: A tale of Generica! Coming Soon!

"We chose to automate some actions, like dice rolling and card shuffling".

What was the other option?

e: Sounds like the core gameplay's mostly unchanged and the difference is in the levelling up etc, which is hopeful.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Sep 3, 2017

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Magil Zeal posted:

Well, I was thinking the thread might be sick of "hey I tried to fix the fighter" posts, but this was my attempt.

My thinking was, "okay, the last time the fighter was fun to play was DnD 4th edition. How can I take that fighter, translate it to 5th edition, and also meet the Legends and Lore goals from way back in 2012 that I feel the 5th edition fighter failed utterly to meet? That's tricky, and even drawing influence from the Tome of Battle, I did a lot of thinking, but that's what I came up with. I plan to clean it up and submit it to the DM's Guild later (pay what you want), and then maybe work on other "hit thing with weapon" classes along the same lines.

I love what you did with the martial practices in this

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

I love what you did with the martial practices in this

Most of the inspiration for those came from posts in this thread a few hundred pages back.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine
When your cleric tries to turn undead in the middle of a zombie battle and your DM's rolls are on fire:

Click for a readable picture

Zombies weren't having none of that poo poo.

Ceros_X fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Sep 3, 2017

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

MMAgCh posted:

Yeah, that's where the player would lose me. :shrug:

My point was that a lack of imagination on the part of your DM should not limit your character's ability to interact with the world. "I can't envision that" is like the battlecry of lovely DMs.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Ceros_X posted:

When your cleric tries to turn undead in the middle of a zombie battle and your DM's rolls are on fire:

Click for a readable picture

Zombies weren't having none of that poo poo.

Zombie 13 can die in a fire tho

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Mendrian posted:

DM: <sweats visibly>

You ever see that really old movie, Empire Strikes Back?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

So does Color Spray do damage or not? The description is pretty unclear.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Lurdiak posted:

So does Color Spray do damage or not? The description is pretty unclear.
It does not. You're tracking creatures' hit points to determine if you can blind them, but the spell at no point causes them to lose any.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I am trying to decide between roll20 and fantasy grounds for this stuff and I am not sure which to go with.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

I am trying to decide between roll20 and fantasy grounds for this stuff and I am not sure which to go with.

Go for the better one

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Spiteski posted:

Go for the better one
The better one's actually the other one.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well, I like Roll20 and it has the benefit of being free to use for the most part.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Fantasy grounds is the cheapest because it's free unless you want to use it.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

AlphaDog posted:

Fantasy grounds is the cheapest because it's free unless you want to use it.

Huh?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

This year, AlphaDog is a D&D 5e writer.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

It's free to try, but you either need to buy a player license to play, or your GM needs to shell out for an Ultimate license so that all the connecting clients can play for free.

Ferret
Oct 9, 2003

MonsterEnvy posted:

My group just migrated from paid R20 to FG. Loss of the advanced lighting tools in R20 was sad, but the mechanics support is actually really nice. Also target tracking turned out to be super useful. The only fristration so far is that the baked in mechanics support isn't complete yet. Monk abilities, barbarian Rage; all of that sort of thing can be handled by the FG client, but you have to build the effects or powers by hand - they're not there to drag and drop by default.

The extensive plug in and extension library means that can be fixed by buying a plugin that someone else wrote that adds all that stuff, though.

I like it a lot more than I expected to. Recommend you go with FG if you're going to be playing 5e.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Looking at it all the fantasy grounds 5e stuff got cheaper.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Though I'm not currently DMing anything in Roll20, the only feature I really feel like it's missing (more advanced dynamic lighting) is supposed to be added before the end of the month, and it's hella cheaper than Fantasy Grounds. I personally think the 5E Shaped OGL sheet in Roll20 is pretty easy to use if you can understand the most basic pseudocode, it'd be fairly easy to code in a completely new feat or bonus yourself. And of course anything in the OGL is already there to drag-and-drop, on the player side at least.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's free to try, but you either need to buy a player license to play, or your GM needs to shell out for an Ultimate license so that all the connecting clients can play for free.

Oh yea, I know that. But what he said didn't make any sense to me. Still doesn't but *shrug*.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Looking at it all the fantasy grounds 5e stuff got cheaper.

Yea they dropped it to be in line with the book prices from places like amazon. It's pretty nice when you combine that with the 20% for having all the official 5e content bought. Means it's pretty cheap per item, and can get anything new at 20% off to "complete the bundle" as it were.
If you're keen, drop me a PM and you can make use of New Zealand steam prices too. It's about 15% cheaper once again (237 USD for everything instead of 280 ish for whole lot).

Magil Zeal posted:

Though I'm not currently DMing anything in Roll20, the only feature I really feel like it's missing (more advanced dynamic lighting) is supposed to be added before the end of the month, and it's hella cheaper than Fantasy Grounds. I personally think the 5E Shaped OGL sheet in Roll20 is pretty easy to use if you can understand the most basic pseudocode, it'd be fairly easy to code in a completely new feat or bonus yourself. And of course anything in the OGL is already there to drag-and-drop, on the player side at least.

It's only cheaper if you don't use the subscriptions on Roll20. If you use the R20 subs for access to the API etc, you can get FG for the same subscription price instead of buying the lifetime license. Then the official content is cheaper on FG, and the SRD/OGL is on FG there too.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Spiteski posted:

It's only cheaper if you don't use the subscriptions on Roll20. If you use the R20 subs for access to the API etc, you can get FG for the same subscription price instead of buying the lifetime license. Then the official content is cheaper on FG, and the SRD/OGL is on FG there too.

Even when I DM'd I never felt like I needed the API, and I certainly never bought anything beyond the most basic subscription (which gives dynamic lighting). Felt like I had all I needed there. I understand the desire to have maps and stuff from the official material though, and not having to input archetypes would be nice.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 3, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Spiteski posted:

Yea they dropped it to be in line with the book prices from places like amazon. It's pretty nice when you combine that with the 20% for having all the official 5e content bought. Means it's pretty cheap per item, and can get anything new at 20% off to "complete the bundle" as it were.
If you're keen, drop me a PM and you can make use of New Zealand steam prices too. It's about 15% cheaper once again (237 USD for everything instead of 280 ish for whole lot).

I am keen but can't pm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

I am keen but can't pm

https://discord.gg/AyXSEZ join my discord. I just realised you played with me when I was on Teamspeak so there's the new hangout.

Magil Zeal posted:

Even when I DM'd I never felt like I needed the API, and I certainly never bought anything beyond the most basic subscription (which gives dynamic lighting). Felt like I had all I needed there. I understand the desire to have maps and stuff from the official material though, and not having to input archetypes would be nice.

Yea, being able to just go and play and straight up DM without paying anything is nice, but I was under the impression that you had to have API access to unlock most of the "functionality" that R20 offers? Happy to be corrected though

Spiteski fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 3, 2017