Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Skylight Freerange 2: Gachduine

Solbrain: Knight of Darkness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Oh, I didn't get a BB tag :(

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I still have a long way to walk on Yakuza 0 to start playing Kiwami but, what you guys think I should beat in between yakuzas?

-The Last of Us remastered
-Dragon Age: Inquisition
-Finish Ys Origin

Also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zdDx2HQ9Bw

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Finish Ys Origin with all three characters

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Inquisition is one of those games where you have to hunker down for at least three weeks straight to finish if you're event the least bit thorough so probably not that one.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Guillermus posted:

I still have a long way to walk on Yakuza 0 to start playing Kiwami but, what you guys think I should beat in between yakuzas?

TLOU , it's amazing

DA:I sucks balls

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Attitude Indicator posted:

The RNG effect you're describing bothered me to, but then suddenly the game explained it in a loading screen. It happens when you put spin on shots with clubs not made for that. Put backspin on a shot with the 1W, for example, and there's a bigger chance the shot will go wild. Getting higher control will lower the chance of it happening, i assume.

It usually pisses me off the most on my first shot, when I'm usually never applying any sort of spin. In the later courses, if you are hedging against the wind and you hit the ball way off center it's pretty easy to end up in a bunker, out of bounds or in a lake. Maybe doing the power shot makes it worse? I don't know, but I don't like it.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Thanks, might beat Ys (i have an axe girl playthrough in progress) beat TLOU then beat again Ys if I feel like it before starting Kiwami.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Dodge into, not away, get aggro and tank through hits. Hoonting is dirty work but someone's gotta do it.

Thanks! I knew the first two from DS3 but tanking through hits is new and a different rhythm. I'm breaking some bad habits I had around locking on in DS3 and trying to get better at parrying, which is a skill I basically ignore in DS3. I'm learning that for a bunch of weapons, it's often better not to lock on but to use camera and character to dead aim through mobs.

So I'm getting into the rhythm and having a wonderful time.

Getting to my favourite part of this kind of game, which is about building a mental map of an area, mastering travel, learning how it connects to itself and the glorious feeling of finding a new level or elevator to reconnect parts of the level.

In a lot of ways, Obduction hits the same pleasure centres for me, replacing combat with puzzles but towards the same end: coming to intimately learn the looping twisting passageways of a strange place.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

for me locking on usually depends on the boss size. the huge beast dudes dont get locked on while roughly human sized things do

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

exquisite tea posted:

Inquisition is one of those games where you have to hunker down for at least three weeks straight to finish if you're event the least bit thorough so probably not that one.

Inquisition is also one of those games that is utter poo poo and not worth bothering with in the slightest.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

spudsbuckley posted:

Inquisition is also one of those games that is utter poo poo and not worth bothering with in the slightest.

I agree but thats every game below a 7.5 on my personal scale so some asscreed loving mediocrebros might be offended at your spicy take

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

spudsbuckley posted:

For real. It saddens me to see how far Bioware have fallen with DA:I and Andromeda.
DA:O was one of my favourite games ever and ME:2 is one of two games I've platted (the other was Bloodborne).

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Sakurazuka posted:

Is that inside the house?

Yep, with an invincible enemy that can one-shot you. The worst part is he teleports ahead of you if you try running away and has a pretty high chance of killing you as you turn a corner or something. I had to just kite him around in circles each time until he disappeared. Thankfully he can only appear a few times.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The 8 hours I played of inquisition was the most bored I've ever been playing a game. To be fair Ive never liked a Bioware game so it's kind of on me that I'm still trying them.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
gently caress Inquisition. I really wanted to like it, and it sucked.

The "This enemy is one level too high for you to fight at all, as indicated by this red skull" method of gating content is garbage. It sucked in WoW, it sucked in Witcher 3, and it sucks bad in Inquisition.

It's probably the most forgivable in WoW, since that's a game "about" leveling up, but it's really loving lame in story-driven Witcher 3 and bullshit garbage-drive Inquisition.

Snak fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 3, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I think Inquisition is okay. Not the best game I've ever played, definitely not the worst, liked it enough to finish which is a rarity for me.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Awesome! posted:

for me locking on usually depends on the boss size. the huge beast dudes dont get locked on while roughly human sized things do

Groups also are better served not locking on, unless you are good enough at herding that you can make it effective.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

exquisite tea posted:

I think Inquisition is okay. Not the best game I've ever played, definitely not the worst, liked it enough to finish which is a rarity for me.

I didn't start hating it until I finally unlocked a new area, and I chose an area where I wasn't a high enough level to actually do anything in it, so I had to go back to the same area I'd been loving around in for hours already to grind more table points or whatever. gently caress that. Uninstalled.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Snak posted:

The "This enemy is one level too high for you to fight at all, as indicated by this red skull" method of gating content is garbage. It sucked in WoW, it sucked in Witcher 3, and it sucks bad in Inquisition.

It's probably the most forgivable in WoW, since that's a game "about" leveling up, but it's really loving lame in story-driven Witcher 3 and bullshit garbage-drive Inquisition.

See I like this mechanic because I think it can be rewarding if handled well. Running from scary monsters at lvl 1 and then farming them at lvl 10 can feel good and there are tons of games that do it well, although i don't think Witcher 3 is one of them.

A game where it literally makes no sense and in fact invalidates huge, utterly massive parts of the gameworld and sort of ruins any sense of possible immersion is the upcoming assassin's creed. I can't believe that multiple teams of people thought that was the correct move in a series dedicated to, among other things, the utter mortality of all human beings.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

yea it's fine. didn't set the world on fire or anything but it's a solid game that you'll probably like if you're into the kind of gameplay it offers

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

RatHat posted:

Yep, with an invincible enemy that can one-shot you. The worst part is he teleports ahead of you if you try running away and has a pretty high chance of killing you as you turn a corner or something. I had to just kite him around in circles each time until he disappeared. Thankfully he can only appear a few times.

That's probably the low point of the game though there's still bullshit later.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

See I like this mechanic because I think it can be rewarding if handled well. Running from scary monsters at lvl 1 and then farming them at lvl 10 can feel good and there are tons of games that do it well, although i don't think Witcher 3 is one of them.

A game where it literally makes no sense and in fact invalidates huge, utterly massive parts of the gameworld and sort of ruins any sense of possible immersion is the upcoming assassin's creed. I can't believe that multiple teams of people thought that was the correct move in a series dedicated to, among other things, the utter mortality of all human beings.

I didn't know what triggering meant until they showed the size of the overworld in Assassin's Creed: Origins and then zoomed into a tiny little town with 10 quest markers.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Sakurazuka posted:

That's probably the low point of the game though there's still bullshit later.

I'm trying so, so very hard to beat TEW and this chapter just destroyed me, and the boss at the end of it I had to look up a guide how to beat and now I'm starting 10 and trying to find the willpower to keep going. It's so frustrating because I see all these glimpses of brilliance and then well poo poo here's The Spencer Mansion with a skinny manlet who rips you to shreds if he touches you

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

exquisite tea posted:

I didn't know what triggering meant until they showed the size of the overworld in Assassin's Creed: Origins and then zoomed into a tiny little town with 10 quest markers.

2 of each of the 4 activities total in the game a main mission and a tower.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Policenaut posted:

I'm trying so, so very hard to beat TEW and this chapter just destroyed me, and the boss at the end of it I had to look up a guide how to beat and now I'm starting 10 and trying to find the willpower to keep going. It's so frustrating because I see all these glimpses of brilliance and then well poo poo here's The Spencer Mansion with a skinny manlet who rips you to shreds if he touches you

I forced myself through it earlier this year and only beat it through sheer willpower, if it helps there's some good bits later on including one of the most insane end bosses I've seen.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

This was my end card on the default normal difficulty.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

Let's take a game about the glorious feeling of flow in traversal and combat and interrupt it every 2-5 minutes with some kind of summary screen. Let's take the joy of exploration and turn it into a dizzying checklist of chores.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Bust Rodd posted:

Sounds terrible. Two of the games where leveling up just feels good are Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 and BBS on the hardest difficulties. At first even the weakest enemies can push your face in. But after a few levels and some gained abilties you'll tear through them en masse and get showered in XP- and HP-balls. It gets really rididiculous in BBS when Aqua can one-shot/nuke an entire screen of badies with her magic.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

veni veni veni posted:

The 8 hours I played of inquisition was the most bored I've ever been playing a game. To be fair Ive never liked a Bioware game so it's kind of on me that I'm still trying them.

You should try Agents Of Mayhem!

No don't

It's incredibly mediocre.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

doingitwrong posted:

Let's take a game about the glorious feeling of flow in traversal and combat and interrupt it every 2-5 minutes with some kind of summary screen.

That's not the case is it? I don't recall constant summary screens in any of the AC games i've played. Anyway if you like that sort of thing you know what you're getting into, a lot of things to do isn't a list of chores.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
I read some things about Prey being a broken unresponsive game on PS4, have they fixed it yet?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

I don't mean "things having levels" I mean "because this thing is 5 levels above you instead of 4, you only do 10% damage to it"
Which makes it impossible to progress via skill. As soon as you click up one level, they are no longer a challenge, but they were literally impossible before, just because of arbitrary level gating. A well-balanced rpg progression would mean thay higher level enemies are inherently harder. This kind of level gating is basically saying "you can't break this game with skill and a good build, you have to grid through it at a dictated pace.

And that's a really lame experience to have in an open world game. Exploring and open world and being like "I'm gonna try to fight this thing, even though I'm a low level" and realize the game basically won't let you try fight it is the opposite of what open worlds are supposed to be about.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Snak posted:

I don't mean "things having levels" I mean "because this thing is 5 levels above you instead of 4, you only do 10% damage to it"
Which makes it impossible to progress via skill. As soon as you click up one level, they are no longer a challenge, but they were literally impossible before, just because of arbitrary level gating. A well-balanced rpg progression would mean thay higher level enemies are inherently harder. This kind of level gating is basically saying "you can't break this game with skill and a good build, you have to grid through it at a dictated pace.

And that's a really lame experience to have in an open world game. Exploring and open world and being like "I'm gonna try to fight this thing, even though I'm a low level" and realize the game basically won't let you try fight it is the opposite of what open worlds are supposed to be about.

The xenoblade chronicles problem

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

There was a fight club challenge in Assassin's Creed Syndicate that I thought was really difficult and I spent an hour or two trying to master it, it felt almost Dark Souls-like in terms of split-second parry timing and getting hit a couple of times was swift death while I had to rack up ten-hit combos in order to do any damage. I had actually gotten pretty good at it too, like killing 19 out of 20 guys but the last one seemed completely invincible.

I then learned that the game's leveling system was not a soft recommendation but a hard gate and as soon as I went up by one level the challenge was faceroll-simple, suddenly the dodging/parrying window was like three seconds and enemies were dying in two punches

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you guys miss DA:O pick up Pillars of Eternity which just came out on PS4. Will scratch that itch (although the origins stories of DAO was really cool and unique).

I only kinda enjoyed Destiny, is Destiny 2 more of the same or have they went and made it more MMO / "alive"?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

[quote="“Empress Brosephine”" post="“476040634”"]
If you guys miss DA:O pick up Pillars of Eternity which just came out on PS4. Will scratch that itch (although the origins stories of DAO was really cool and unique).

I only kinda enjoyed Destiny, is Destiny 2 more of the same or have they went and made it more MMO / “alive”?
[/quote]

Destiny 2 seems more open but overall the same. If that makes any sense. They did add more stuff to do overall though.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It does, I think my biggest problems was you had like not many moves and the talent tree was kind of bland and similar. Have they done anything to those?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

TheDarkFlame posted:

I read some things about Prey being a broken unresponsive game on PS4, have they fixed it yet?

Rinkles said the performance was finally patched yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Empress Brosephine posted:

It does, I think my biggest problems was you had like not many moves and the talent tree was kind of bland and similar. Have they done anything to those?

I haven’t really dug in deep into the talents and stuff but they did change the way those menus look at least lol.

I don’t know if Destiny 2 is going to be the one that hooks people who never got into the first game. I was in deep with D1 so it was a sure thing that I get the sequel.