Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Tried the RAID 2 update. The guns feel better, I don't know if there was an option to scope the M1903 for recon before but I tried it now and it's significantly better. Stealth will be literally maddening if they don't shut the gently caress up about finding a door into the bunker every 15 seconds. I know about it! I'm looking at it! I'm waiting for a guy to path away. KURGAN IS THE BEST AT FINDING VALVES, IT'S TRUE on the other hand, will not get old.

Still, some problems remain. There are at least two spots where enemies shot me through solid walls on the flakturm level, the communication of assault state is, uh, doesn't exist. Lots of player communication from the game feels missing. Also, assaults are weird in other ways. Had a situation where enemies just stopped spawning entirely at the top of the flakturm so I could spend all the time I wanted hunting dogtags. The problem is, that's not ... wholly positive? Dogtags being directly related to mission bonus rewards will get old very fast, I think, especially when you've gone loud and are pretty busy fighting swarms of enemies as opposed to pixel-hunting dogtags on a pipe in the back corner. Gage packages have the nice benefit of being wholly optional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I was irritated when I played the Trainwreck mission solo and had to personally shuffle four pallets of gold up and down a ladder for ten minutes.

They really need to scale any kind of fetch-mission to the number of human players since the AI has no way of assisting you with them.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Psion posted:

Dogtags being directly related to mission bonus rewards will get old very fast, I think, especially when you've gone loud and are pretty busy fighting swarms of enemies as opposed to pixel-hunting dogtags on a pipe in the back corner. Gage packages have the nice benefit of being wholly optional.
I would very much like dogtags to be a lot more visible. Sometimes I see the prompt to pick them up and nothing else. I guess the idea is you're supposed to remember the 40 or so places they could be, which is definitely a very reasonable thing to expect of anyone.

Gort posted:

I was irritated when I played the Trainwreck mission solo and had to personally shuffle four pallets of gold up and down a ladder for ten minutes.

They really need to scale any kind of fetch-mission to the number of human players since the AI has no way of assisting you with them.
Just throw them all off the bridge.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

maswastaken posted:

Just throw them all off the bridge.

Yeah, that's true. You're still stuck doing all of that (IE: Lockpicking the entire train) yourself and it'd be better if there were a quarter of the pallets when only one player is capable of moving them.

The game's obviously designed for four players at a time to be playing, but it seems like it wouldn't be that much of a change to make it much more playable solo.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Gort posted:

Yeah, that's true. You're still stuck doing all of that (IE: Lockpicking the entire train) yourself and it'd be better if there were a quarter of the pallets when only one player is capable of moving them.

The game's obviously designed for four players at a time to be playing, but it seems like it wouldn't be that much of a change to make it much more playable solo.

Good luck with that. Payday 2 never bothered to adjust the number of loot required based on players; I doubt Raid will do that either although it would be a nice lesson for them to learn.

maswastaken posted:

I would very much like dogtags to be a lot more visible. Sometimes I see the prompt to pick them up and nothing else. I guess the idea is you're supposed to remember the 40 or so places they could be, which is definitely a very reasonable thing to expect of anyone.

I'm getting flashbacks to when KF2 first introduced collectibles achievements.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

maswastaken posted:

Yeah, dogtags have quite a few problems. They're too important (presumably? that end of mission loot crate is your only chance at unlocks), too small, too indistinct, and too numerous. The first makes the other three extremely bad choices, so it's just compounding error on top of error.

~32 per level is simply too many, especially since they want you to collect about half every single raid. It destroys the flow of the map to have to stop and wander around staring for small dogtags hung who the gently caress knows where, especially on the forest map. Yes I'm aware sometimes they come in bundles of 4 or so tags in one pickup, but I saw that exactly once, so...nah. They're too small and/or too indistinct, unlike gage packages which are brightly colored and with one exception, easily spottable. Gage packages also have the advantages of being wholly optional and 2-10 per level is a lot better than 32.

Thankfully, there are quite a few ways they could fix it. Reduce number of tag locations by adding more of the cluster spawns by default. Reduce total number per level. Make them more visually obvious in any number of ways, like a better shine effect. Make them less relevant towards that loot crate upgrade so the pressure to get them is reduced. As long as whatever they do makes them less of a flow-destroying pain in the rear end, it's probably a good change.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

UnknownMercenary posted:

I'm getting flashbacks to when KF2 first introduced collectibles achievements.

At least in RAID it makes sense to collect as this is extra loot you're being paid for and for good reason, they're taking them back to families. It doesn't help that they're in some of the most obtuse places to find them, but I've gotten like 32% down in the shoot the blimp down mission.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Since I don't have my desktop PC at the moment I tried running RAID on my tablet with all the settings turned down as far as they could go and while the framerate wasn't completely awful, I could barely see Nazis let alone item pickups. The color palette is just a wash of greens and browns and greys.

I also couldn't aim for poo poo but I think that was the Bluetooth mouse more than anything else, literally could not do two pixel adjustments so I just had to spray in their direction and hope weapon spread let me land hits. It did feel floaty like mouse acceleration was enabled though, not that I was in a good position to confirm it.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I've not seen a bit of praise for how the dogtags are yet, I feel like they're definitely gonna get sheared down sooner or later.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Is glitching outside of safe house raid a thing? I think it is a thing.

Also, pardon the potato quality and the dirty joke in the chat.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
I played a bit of Raid today, first time since the patch, and it's very possible that I just didn't play Demolition long enough last time, but the shotgun feels better now. It's not quite the Payday 1 Reinbeck, but I don't think anything is.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

They buffed gun damage and then specifically buffed the shotgun's spread and stuff as well, felt so much better afterwards.

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.

EorayMel posted:

Is glitching outside of safe house raid a thing? I think it is a thing.

Yes, it definitely is. The easiest place for it to happen is on the 2nd floor, at the windows next to the pantry. When cops jump in and you're there, you end up glitching outside with no way to leap back in.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

General rule of thumb: If a shield can spawn in by jumping through/over it, don't stand next to it unless you want to see his famous Put-the-Player-Out-of-Bounds trick.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Commissioner Garrett's deadly crime traps

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i played RAID yesterday, demolitionist, the shotgun is loving horrid. at point blank it takes like four blasts to kill one guy, yet other times i can clear out an entire rooms worth of nazis before reloading. do i need to be in melee range to do any loving damage with this?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

It feels really inconsistent, sometimes I could just run through blasting people and killing multiple per shot, other times it took like three in the chest per guy.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Maybe I'm just blind but I don't see how the higher tiers of perks work. If a perk says it gives +2/4/6/8% movespeed, how do I get the higher levels?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

PantsOptional posted:

Maybe I'm just blind but I don't see how the higher tiers of perks work. If a perk says it gives +2/4/6/8% movespeed, how do I get the higher levels?

Gonna guess it involves shooting nazis

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

PantsOptional posted:

Spend more points to level the perk up multiple times.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

We've yet to see what happens past level 10, but I imagine that at that point we just loop around and go back through the existing proficiencies.

Which I guess means that if levels go anywhere near 85, eventually I have to take increased duration for Assault's warcry, against all desire to just use it as a murder-powered group heal.

maswastaken fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Sep 5, 2017

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Payday2 has great exciting music. Raid has really boring bad music. This stupid thing probably makes it a pass for me, but for me sound design is such a huge part of getting pumped.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

ShineDog posted:

Payday2 has great exciting music. Raid has really boring bad music. This stupid thing probably makes it a pass for me, but for me sound design is such a huge part of getting pumped.

I don't think Viklund is working on Raid, and it's also a very different setting so his usual techno-ish cool stuff wouldn't really fit.

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.
To be fair Payday 2 probably has the most hype soundtrack of all time- so migrating to anything after that is going to seem underwhelming music wise.

It's a valid complaint I guess (I haven't played raid) but still a lame reason to disregard an entire game.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Tried some RAID out, was kinda fun, but I had mostly the same complaints that other people have brought up: old graphics/animations, unsatisfying inaccurate/low damage gunplay, repetitive callouts, lame ultimate/warcrys, uninvigorating music and odd musical/sound cues, boring passive percentage abilities. Basically, while it has plenty of pizazz in the presentation with the funny cutscenes and humor and setup, it just lacks pizazz in the actual gameplay.

I feel like the game could be pretty good, but would need another layer of polish to make it 'feel' better. While I think it would be best to take a lot of time to make big changes, if they were to try and fix the game with the smallest changes possible before launch, I think they'd have to be:

1) Make guns louder/more accurate/more damaging across the board. Right now it's too much like Payday 1 or early Payday 2 where guns just feel so bad. It's way too unsatisfying to fight against guns when you, the player, have worked on your aim. I'm not saying they should be laser guns, but they should work beyond a few feet.

2) Make treasure a more integral part of the game. I would go through entire levels without finding a scrap of treasure and the game just doesn't reinforce the whole 'heist' and 'thieving' nature. Nobody says anything about looking for treasure, there are no treasure objectives except after the point, and it's so rare to find. I'd like it to be more like Wolfenstein or early Payday 2 levels where money and gems are scattered around, as well as big hidden optional objectives.

3) Dogtags? Why would a bunch of thieves bother with rescuing dogtags? Honestly just do a model swap of all dogtags to change them to gems or gold bars and it would be a lot more satisfying and thematic to find them.

4) Make warcrys cooler. Right now most of them as passive buffs that are lackluster, and the visual feedback is just a color aura. I think all warcrys should induce some kind of invincibility/damage resistance and maybe enemy 'panic', and most should have a cool effect beyond a passive number buff. The cluster grenade is an alright one, but why does it require that you have grenades when the ultimate should just give you grenades? The autoaim one is neat and feels good, but it shouldn't be on the sniper, but rather someone with full auto so they mow people down (and maybe infinite ammo to boot?).

swims
May 5, 2014

Is Storm just totally scrapped? Payday in space sounded so awesome and almost unlimited in things they could try.

Orv
May 4, 2011

swims posted:

Is Storm just totally scrapped? Payday in space sounded so awesome and almost unlimited in things they could try.

It turned into some kinda VR laser tag thing for theme parks and amusement centers. That's what's using the name anyway.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

New build idea for payday 2: WARIO

Weapons: Anything loud, heavy, or manly. This means no silencers whatsoever. For primaries, this includes but not is limited to things like the minigun, ksp, thanatos, or breaker shotgun. Weapons like the desert eagle, castigo, judge, or commando follows these rules for your secondary. Fists because Wario has strong muscles and can crush an apple in his palms.

Equipment: Max out first aid kits for garlic. Fill out the armor enforcer tree to be strong with your iron man armor suit first and foremost. Take all the fugitive perks that amp up melee damage to show off your muscles. Most importantly, maximize the greed by stealing all the loot in maps and taking chameleon ace for the extra 30% value. Dump the rest into technician oppressor and the rest of the enforcer skills.

Perk Deck: Use the Sicario perk deck for Wario Waft strats.

Playstyle: You must only use the smoke grenade after you have used a first aid kit. You may not use another first aid kit unless the smoke grenade is off cooldown. Never revive teammates so they have a rotten day and you bask in all of your greedy, golden glory from the extra loot value you secure. Extensively play on Golden Grin to retake the riches of the Wario World castle, or Goat Simulator and Meltdown for Mario Kart.

Mask: It is close enough I tried my best given my resources okay

Next build: WALUIGI

Weapons: Waluigi has starred in many Mario sports games, so he must use weapons primarilly fitting into sport/competition contexts. For your primary, use the [cross]bows for sporting archery competitions, or use the Jocelyn for clay-pigeon sport shooting. For your secondary, use either the pistol crossbow for more archery competitions, or use the peacemaker because of the above image and cowboy action matches. Use the baseball bat for melee.

Equipment: Focus on ghost's dodge and mobility skills to make good use of Waluigi's long limbs. If using the Jocelyn, max out shotgun skills. If using the peacemaker, max out pistol skills. Dump remaining points into hostage taking/joker skills for Mario Parties. For your deployable and grenades, bring ammo bags and either grenades (bob-ombs) or javelins.

Perk Deck: Take Rogue for extra dodge, getting even more use out of Waluigi's supple frame.

Playstyle: Run around and shoot toads(cops), making sure to go after your ammo bag only after all your ammo is gone, so there is minimal downtime in your mischief. Convert enemies to your side for a Mario Party. Always go for the longest range shots so you can take home the gold (medal) at the Olympic Games. Never help other people. Instead of helping others, opt to dive into the fray and take down as many enemies as you can[bonus points if you have swan song]. Why?
TOO BAD. WALUIGI TIME.

Mask: Again I tried my best making accurate masks is loving tedious

Any thoughts?

swims
May 5, 2014

Lotta effort there bro

Orv
May 4, 2011
Nah.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Wario build trip report:

Sicario let me do a few clutch objective reboots in the thick of a crowd of cops. Everybody died halfway across the map as I survived to the end with a skulldozer chasing me.

The Wario build works better than intended.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

I'mma install this Raid nonsense and try to solo as the french bastard in a beret.

... anything I should know beforehand?

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

widespread posted:

I'mma install this Raid nonsense and try to solo as the french bastard in a beret.

Pop goes the weasel.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

widespread posted:

Just a few:
1. That's Sterling.
2. Sterling's British.
3. Sterling's swole as gently caress:

4. For the love of God, do not think that RAID difficulties are like Payday 2 difficulties and try to play the game on Very Hard. You will die and it will hurt the entire time that you are dying.

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013

Sterling's got a concealed carry permit if he's hiding his guns in that jacket all the time, drat

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I watched a few streams and wow, RAID looks really bad.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Michaellaneous posted:

I watched a few streams and wow, RAID looks really bad.

I kinda like it. I really like the simplicity of the gun builds, and the fact that you don't have to build towards stealth or loud, you can always attempt to stealth as far as possible then go loud.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

FutureCop posted:

Tried some RAID out, was kinda fun, but I had mostly the same complaints that other people have brought up: old graphics/animations, unsatisfying inaccurate/low damage gunplay, repetitive callouts, lame ultimate/warcrys, uninvigorating music and odd musical/sound cues, boring passive percentage abilities. Basically, while it has plenty of pizazz in the presentation with the funny cutscenes and humor and setup, it just lacks pizazz in the actual gameplay.

I feel like the game could be pretty good, but would need another layer of polish to make it 'feel' better. While I think it would be best to take a lot of time to make big changes, if they were to try and fix the game with the smallest changes possible before launch, I think they'd have to be:

1) Make guns louder/more accurate/more damaging across the board. Right now it's too much like Payday 1 or early Payday 2 where guns just feel so bad. It's way too unsatisfying to fight against guns when you, the player, have worked on your aim. I'm not saying they should be laser guns, but they should work beyond a few feet.

2) Make treasure a more integral part of the game. I would go through entire levels without finding a scrap of treasure and the game just doesn't reinforce the whole 'heist' and 'thieving' nature. Nobody says anything about looking for treasure, there are no treasure objectives except after the point, and it's so rare to find. I'd like it to be more like Wolfenstein or early Payday 2 levels where money and gems are scattered around, as well as big hidden optional objectives.

3) Dogtags? Why would a bunch of thieves bother with rescuing dogtags? Honestly just do a model swap of all dogtags to change them to gems or gold bars and it would be a lot more satisfying and thematic to find them.

4) Make warcrys cooler. Right now most of them as passive buffs that are lackluster, and the visual feedback is just a color aura. I think all warcrys should induce some kind of invincibility/damage resistance and maybe enemy 'panic', and most should have a cool effect beyond a passive number buff. The cluster grenade is an alright one, but why does it require that you have grenades when the ultimate should just give you grenades? The autoaim one is neat and feels good, but it shouldn't be on the sniper, but rather someone with full auto so they mow people down (and maybe infinite ammo to boot?).
I played Raid, and, I think I'd agree with all of this, 100%. It's also surprising how many lessons they un-learned to make this.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

FYI the demolition warcry does give you a grenade if you don't have one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

It always gives you a grenade if you aren't full