Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Sephyr posted:

Oh, they do, if only because you have to be a contender to get donations and prestige in order to keep your operation going.

Still pretty sure they can be a shell of an organization because "have you seen the other guys" and they really ran with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Calibanibal posted:

hell, i mean, if verrit says so

I didn't think "verrit" was an actual word, but

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/verrit

quote:

third-person singular present active indicative of verrō

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/verro#Latin

quote:

I scrape, sweep out or up, brush, scour, clean out.
I sweep along, drive, impel.
I sweep away, carry off, take away.
I cover, hide, conceal.

It's basically latin for "I cleanse", :lol:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The hell even is this site
https://twitter.com/cd_hooks/status/904496429128876032

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Accretionist posted:

Could be paid endorsement

That whole site is run by former Hillary staffer Peter Daou.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Most humourous part of the "12% of Bernie voters went to Trump!" thing is that almost all of that 12% were Republican registered/aligned voters, mean Sanders had cross party appeal so lauded by the establisment Dems.

It's the new push to combat "False News". In that it's basically Propaganda that doesn't challenge them and they verify it it so. Trust them!

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/verrit/status/884057831858720769

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Kokoro Wish posted:

Most humourous part of the "12% of Bernie voters went to Trump!" thing is that almost all of that 12% were Republican registered/aligned voters, mean Sanders had cross party appeal so lauded by the establisment Dems.

This is a very charitable reading. There's a lot of people who are still registered Democrats but who haven't voted Dem since Reagan, thanks to the realignment of the '60s-'80s, combined with people like those in this thread who went Bernie->Trump essentially to be accelerationist trolls.

Not that Bernie (or any candidate in general) doesn't have "cross-party appeal." It's just that "cross-party appeal" is kind of a useless metric that isn't worth considering.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

It speaks to the sheer dishonesty of Arceneaux that nowhere in his piece does he mention that most of the counter protesters in Charlottesville, including the woman who died, were either Bernie supporters or closer ideologically to Bernie than Hillary. It is also pretty telling that Bernie is somehow responsible for the 10% of his supporters who went for Trump, but Obama isn't responsible for the 11% of his supporters who went for Trump.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

EugeneJ posted:

It's basically latin for "I cleanse", :lol:

Oh, nice.

"Veni Vidi Verritt"

- Accretionist, 2017

Kokoro Wish posted:

Excuse me but could I have your 7-digit identifier for this, "fact?"

Have they implemented pundit ID numbers yet?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

joepinetree posted:

It speaks to the sheer dishonesty of Arceneaux that nowhere in his piece does he mention that most of the counter protesters in Charlottesville, including the woman who died, were either Bernie supporters or closer ideologically to Bernie than Hillary. It is also pretty telling that Bernie is somehow responsible for the 10% of his supporters who went for Trump, but Obama isn't responsible for the 11% of his supporters who went for Trump.

That's not really the part of the article I thought was interesting, but I was phone posting.

You don't have to agree with him, I just think it's worth having black perspectives on "what are the problems with the Democratic Party" and "what is the way forward?" He poo poo on Pelosi and the Democratic establishment too.

Edit: also, my understanding of his point was more so "the only thing that matters to me and many other black people is 'who is going to stand up to racism?', and also that you can go to any number of sources and find people making GBS threads on centrists dems, but from his perspective, Bernie's and his supporters' poo poo also stinks, so to speak. Again, you don't have to agree with him, but it's a different perspective that is still drawing the conclusion of "the party is broken and also too conservative."

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Sep 4, 2017

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

That whole site is run by former Hillary staffer Peter Daou.

Jesus he is Actually Insane.

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I would like to point out I am arguing in good faith, I'm not comfortable with my views, and this is one of the few times an argument has the capacity to change someones mind.

Falstaff posted:

Hmm, did Peachfarts phrase things in such a way that resonated such that it made you feel uncomfortable with yourself?
I already did. I don't think there exists a means to live without moral contradiction, and I don't feel comfortable with any kind of social critique that doesn't implicate me for something.

Cerebral Bore posted:

Pretty hosed up that women who've had to have a hysterectomy aren't considered to be of the female sex anymore.
Cis women, lets just go with the proper terminology. Don't need to be disingenuous.

Peachfart posted:

Are trans men actual men in your view?
By trans men do you mean trans cis women who identify as men, or trans cis men who identify as women?

This is the fundamental problem. A meaningless platitude about treating people properly cannot function as a legal frame work. I can say say a bunch of disingenuous mealy mouthed poo poo about how people should be treated, but in terms of how I think the law should recognize them, no.

Jizz Festival posted:

This is ridiculous. As peachfart pointed out, you can apply this same reasoning to ethnic or any other sort of grouping. If some women really want to exclude trans women from their women-only spaces or whatever, there are plenty of ways to skirt the law, just as white racist groups find ways to create whites-only spaces. It's the dumbest possible reason to oppose the rights of trans people.
Women's subjugation is absolutely unique to birth control and interpersonal violence in ways that make this analogy so fundamentally broken that I'm going to assume you're desperate to paint feminism as racism as a knee jerk reaction because you didn't think your argument out at all, and I mean that respectfully.

Undermining women's right's by refusing them the right to association and distinct legal identity (they can "skirt the law", what the gently caress is wrong with you?) is not acceptable.

You equivocated women's rights to white supremacy, do you have that much contempt for them, or just think cis men need to help guide them?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/crushingbort/status/904503594132668417

William Contraalto
Aug 23, 2017

by Smythe

Sneakster posted:

Women's subjugation is absolutely unique to birth control and interpersonal violence in ways that make this analogy so fundamentally broken that I'm going to assume you're desperate to paint feminism as racism as a knee jerk reaction because you didn't think your argument out at all, and I mean that respectfully.

Undermining women's right's by refusing them the right to association and distinct legal identity (they can "skirt the law", what the gently caress is wrong with you?) is not acceptable.

You equivocated women's rights to white supremacy, do you have that much contempt for them, or just think cis men need to help guide them?

But you can establish your very own TERF Treehouse Club, or any other trans-exclusionary space. You just can't define it as a women's space, and then exclude some women from it. The goal of this rhetoric is solely to force people to accept your terms that trans women aren't women from the beginning and then argue from that position, forcing them to concede the basic argument at the very beginning of discussion.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
That site does seem pretty dumb. It would be better to try to court bernie voters. Considering Trump just ended DACA and has put 800,000 people at risk, though, it kind of outweighs it. Like, I can't get mad because, even if she basically tweeted "all berniebros must die" today, it would still be less bad than threatening the livelihood of 800,000 people. I bet this is what Fox News will focus on tomorrow to avoid talking about DACA repeal, though, so expect it in the news cycle. Whenever HRC does something post-2016, Fox News usually uses it to cover over Trump's most recent atrocity.

It is good for a laugh, though, as this does mean she is probably going to try to run again.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/peterdaou/status/904507332687736832

Site's getting heavy traffic, and instead of apologizing for the downtime, he's already claiming to be a victim

Jesus christ

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Shukaro posted:

"Vote for us because we don't have an R next to our names, therefore we deserve all your votes"
*gets smashed by Republicans who actually do the lovely things their base wants them to*

Dems now polling 10 points ahead of Republicans on congressional ballot.

What will this thread's spin be if they manage to flip the House?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

yronic heroism posted:

It's not the House where they're gonna have a bad time, it's the Senate.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
Considering the congressional majorities, how would the democrats best oppose DACA repeal? They need a veto proof majority to stop it. I feel such things are impossible without public support. So, they might go the symbolic route and hope that protests can sway some Rs. Considering Trump's influence, I feel many Rs would be afraid of turning against Trump to protect DACA. However, the Dems have an ace up their sleave: the Rs need a veto-proof majority for the budget and they know the HFC and senate Rs won't play ball with each other. So, the dems can make this and Obamacare one of their "pass this or the gov't shut down on your watch" demands. However, Dems have not been know for such audacity, but it could work. I suppose we will see. I imagine, considering the large number of people effected and the population effected being loyal blue dogs, that they will definitely be willing to go symbolic, at the least, and consider it in budge negotiations.

William Contraalto
Aug 23, 2017

by Smythe

yronic heroism posted:

Hell, if there's a miracle/Trump pulls off a self-inflicted recession and the Democrats take the Senate, what will the spin be?

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

William Contraalto posted:

But you can establish your very own TERF Treehouse Club, or any other trans-exclusionary space. You just can't define it as a women's space, and then exclude some women from it. The goal of this rhetoric is solely to force people to accept your terms that trans women aren't women from the beginning and then argue from that position, forcing them to concede the basic argument at the very beginning of discussion.
And women's shelters and cis lesbians right to exist and associate?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

joepinetree posted:

This is true, but Arceneaux is also correct in his thesis, as much as it galls me to admit it. Sanders didn't think he was going to be running anything more than a single-issue "vanity campaign," intent on dragging Clinton to the left. He didn't tweak his economically populist message to speak specifically to minority primary voters until the Clinton campaign had successfully bludgeoned him over it. Once he did course-correct, he did so pretty well, but by then it was too late. You only get to make one first impression, at least per election cycle. I'm pleased to see that Arceneaux thinks that Warren is communicating more successfully to POCs, because I think she is too.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Lightning Knight posted:

It's not the House where they're gonna have a bad time, it's the Senate.

Structurally that's almost unavoidable with the number of seats they need to defend and they could still break even or even pick up a Senate seat.

If Democrats under Pelosi take the House, I think this thread will collectively set its hair on fire.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Sneakster posted:

It's not undermining their rights in any meaningful way. By "skirt the law" I mean that if the rights of trans people are recognized (so they can't be fired, denied services/housing etc.) there are plenty of ways to set things up so you can have cis-women only spaces if you really want them. Recognizing the rights of trans people won't make it impossible for women to exclude trans women from some dumb private club if that's what they want to waste their time doing.

William Contraalto
Aug 23, 2017

by Smythe

Sneakster posted:

And women's shelters and cis lesbians right to exist and associate?

Well, if you seriously believe that the existence of trans lesbians is genocidal violence, I would suggest going outside, looking at the flowers, breathing the fresh air.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Also nobody is going to force lesbians to date trans women. This is the dumbest poo poo and I think you've got a real weird view of the world, sneakster.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Hey "smart guys" what if you are proved wrong? huh? What then? You would look preetty ridiculous in that scenario wouldn't you?

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Centrist Dems winning pity seats because Trump hosed up so bad is not a great endorsement of Dems but rather like stumbling into success. Pretty sure their policy prescriptions aren't going to suddenly be less bad, though!

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

If transgenderism is genocide, i welcome it. They are a proud, noble and gentle people. They will be the stewards this world needs. May cis-kind be a forgotten relic of a more brutish age

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Calibanibal posted:

If transgenderism is genocide, i welcome it. They are a proud, noble and gentle people. They will be the stewards this world needs. May cis-kind be a forgotten relic of a more brutish age

Counterexample: Caitlyn Jenner.

(that said, yeah, every trans person I know is pretty much the best)

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Lightning Knight posted:

That's not really the part of the article I thought was interesting, but I was phone posting.

You don't have to agree with him, I just think it's worth having black perspectives on "what are the problems with the Democratic Party" and "what is the way forward?" He poo poo on Pelosi and the Democratic establishment too.

Edit: also, my understanding of his point was more so "the only thing that matters to me and many other black people is 'who is going to stand up to racism?', and also that you can go to any number of sources and find people making GBS threads on centrists dems, but from his perspective, Bernie's and his supporters' poo poo also stinks, so to speak. Again, you don't have to agree with him, but it's a different perspective that is still drawing the conclusion of "the party is broken and also too conservative."

I would be very, very weary of treating the root as representative of "black perspectives." It's a gizmodo (former gawker) website and the politics part is run by a democratic political consultant. It's a "black perspective" in exactly the same sense that jezebel is a woman's perspective. Additionally, the author of the article is a gossip columnist who occasionally writes articles bashing Trump and bashing Sanders in almost equal proportion:

https://www.theguardian.com/profile/michael-arceneaux
https://kinja.com/michael-arceneaux

And is in general completely dishonest about doing it.

In particular, the point that he tries to make about Bernie and race has been consistently debunked. Not only is Bernie the most popular politician among people of color, not only are Bernie's policies disproportionately more likely to benefit minorities. So the entire premise that he bases his criticism of Sanders is false.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Sep 4, 2017

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/mattbruenig/status/904512539240878080

Imagine getting dunked on by Olbermann.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

joepinetree posted:

I would be very, very weary of treating the root as representative of "black perspectives." It's a gizmodo (former gawker) website and the politics part is run by a democratic political consultant. It's a "black perspective" in exactly the same sense that jezebel is a woman's perspective. Additionally, the author of the article is a gossip columnist who occasionally writes articles bashing Trump and bashing Sanders in almost equal proportion:

https://www.theguardian.com/profile/michael-arceneaux
https://kinja.com/michael-arceneaux

And is in general completely dishonest about doing it.

In particular, the point that he tries to make about Bernie and race has been consistently debunked. Not only is Bernie the most [url=]popular politician among people of color[/url], not only are Bernie's policies disproportionately more likely to benefit minorities. So the entire premise that he bases his criticism of Sanders is false.

Well, but he still trailed behind Clinton pretty decisively among PoC primary voters. A big part of that was ratfucking from her campaign and the media, but I think it's fair to say that there are lessons to be learned from the Sanders campaign on how best to reach out to PoC voters.

Arceneaux is a dishonest, pearl-clutching centrist shitlord, though, you'll get no arguments from me on that.

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Jizz Festival posted:

It's not undermining their rights in any meaningful way. By "skirt the law" I mean that if the rights of trans people are recognized (so they can't be fired, denied services/housing etc.) there are plenty of ways to set things up so you can have cis-women only spaces if you really want them. Recognizing the rights of trans people won't make it impossible for women to exclude trans women from some dumb private club if that's what they want to waste their time doing.

William Contraalto posted:

Well, if you seriously believe that the existence of trans lesbians is genocidal violence, I would suggest going outside, looking at the flowers, breathing the fresh air.

Neither of these address the right of cis lesbians right to association and legal existence, or women's shelters, or women's right to association. You're literally calling for the establishment of women's legal existence to supplant cis men's right to their spaces. If people want to discriminate against trans gendered people, they'll still find a way, even if you managed to dismantle women's rights in the mean time.

Arguing that some clandestine illegal discrimination might have be done for the sake of dismantling half the population legal right to exist and associate is insane. You're downplaying it because you aren't considering the ramifications. I would like trans people to have legal protections and rights, but I can't conceive of any legal framework that protects them in a way that doesn't equate to effectively dismantling women's rights for mostly a subset of men. If its effectively one or or the other I'm not comfortable with sacrificing women's rights.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Majorian posted:

This is true, but Arceneaux is also correct in his thesis, as much as it galls me to admit it. Sanders didn't think he was going to be running anything more than a single-issue "vanity campaign," intent on dragging Clinton to the left. He didn't tweak his economically populist message to speak specifically to minority primary voters until the Clinton campaign had successfully bludgeoned him over it. Once he did course-correct, he did so pretty well, but by then it was too late. You only get to make one first impression, at least per election cycle. I'm pleased to see that Arceneaux thinks that Warren is communicating more successfully to POCs, because I think she is too.

Agreed. It's worth remembering that every campaign goes through adjustments and changes, though; they don't spring fully-formed from the forehead of Zeus. Obama was smart to shift his tone when the Financial Crisis hit and when oil prices exploded due to speculation. I still don't know if Hillary was right or wrong to bring up the Deplorables in a speech.

And of course, there is always the issue of whether the narrative will even acknowledge your stance on an issue, no matter if it's been there from the start or if it's a course correction.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Majorian posted:

Apparently you can make more than one first impression, because Bernie is the most popular politician in office among all minority groups. Not to mention that in the campaign age was a more significant factor than race (so called millenials of color were evenly split between Bernie and Hillary, older ones went heavily for Hillary).

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Majorian posted:

Well, but he still trailed behind Clinton pretty decisively among PoC primary voters. A big part of that was ratfucking from her campaign and the media, but I think it's fair to say that there are lessons to be learned from the Sanders campaign on how best to reach out to PoC voters.
When you adjust for age, not really.

Calibanibal posted:

Its very noble of you to determine women have no legal right to association.

William Contraalto
Aug 23, 2017

by Smythe

Sneakster posted:

Neither of these address the right of cis lesbians right to association and legal existence, or women's shelters, or women's right to association. You're literally calling for the establishment of women's legal existence to supplant cis men's right to their spaces. If people want to discriminate against trans gendered people, they'll still find a way, even if you managed to dismantle women's rights in the mean time.

Arguing that some clandestine illegal discrimination might have be done for the sake of dismantling half the population legal right to exist and associate is insane. You're downplaying it because you aren't considering the ramifications. I would like trans people to have legal protections and rights, but I can't conceive of any legal framework that protects them in a way that doesn't equate to effectively dismantling women's rights for mostly a subset of men. If its effectively one or or the other I'm not comfortable with sacrificing women's rights.

It's pretty simple. You and all the hateful people can self-segregate away into random basement meetings and hooking up with neo-Nazis, but you can't enforce your beliefs about who constitutes a woman on the rest of humanity. You also can't do this while serving the public, so you can't conspire to murder all trans people by taking over shelters and support groups.

I guess if you believed that freedom of association extended to murdering people you don't like, you might believe this to be true, which explains very well why "leftist" transphobes cozy up to fascists.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Sephyr posted:

Agreed. It's worth remembering that every campaign goes through adjustments and changes, though; they don't spring fully-formed from the forehead of Zeus. Obama was smart to shift his tone when the Financial Crisis hit and when oil prices exploded due to speculation. I still don't know if Hillary was right or wrong to bring up the Deplorables in a speech.

It was a pretty bad move on the whole, imo. If she had run a populist campaign, and then said, "But hey, guess what? A lot of Trump's supporters are white supremacists, and we're not going to get their votes, and we don't want their votes," that would have been one thing. But she ran a distinctly non-populist campaign, and said what she did, and that just kind of made it look like she was pooh-poohing the working class as a whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Sneakster posted:

I read this and my takeaway is that you're incapable of expressing yourself coherently. Obviously people will still discriminate against trans people, but giving them legal rights gives them the standing to challenge that discrimination in court. What you haven't shown is how this will be used to somehow dismantle women's rights. The only "right" it would dismantle would be the right to exclude trans people from public life. Private TERF clubs and whatnot are not a part of that, neither is the dating lives of lesbians.

• Locked thread