Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Egbert Souse posted:

It's also important to note that WFRR is really a neo-noir above anything else.

"Forget it, Jake, this is animetown."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Pixeltendo posted:

or Goku teaming up with Roger rabbit

Now hold on

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Goku wont be able to make the shooting schedule, hes already booked for the Tokyo Olympics

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

"Goku teams up with Roger Rabbit" just sounds like a heavily-licensed rehash of Toy Story.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

"Goku teams up with Roger Rabbit" just sounds like a heavily-licensed rehash of Toy Story.

Does Roger have to convince Goku he's a toon or Goku convince Roger he's a god?
I was gonna clarify the pronouns but really, that works either way you choose to read it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Das Boo posted:

I was gonna clarify the pronouns but really, that works either way you choose to read it.

I mean, Toy Story ends with a toy warning a child that he'd better behave under threat of punishment, so I think the only possible conclusion here is that it's a heartwarming story where they bond and learn from each other and conclude that God is Cartoons.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Das Boo posted:

They're both toons. It's not like Goku can fly or shoot lasers or anything, that's all special effects.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
lets be honest goku is a background toon appearing for 3 seconds at the end bc hes on loan from other studios

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Alan Smithee posted:

lets be honest goku is a background toon appearing for 3 seconds at the end bc hes on loan from other studios

That depends on if it goes through Toei or Funimation. Toei are huge dicks and your assumption would hold true for them. Funimation, however, would be absolutely on board with having Goku be a side character with significant screen time.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
A Roger Rabbit sequel seems doomed to failure because the first movie wasn't really beloved for its characters or plot; it was beloved for what it was, as a whole. Using the same characters in another movie, or continuing the story, is kind of missing the point. All I can think of that a new movie would bring to the table is a) new cameos or b) needless additional backstory about Toontown. Plus the third and most likely option: references to the first movie.

We've already had other movies kind of carry the torch for WFRR. Toy Story to a small extent, by including Mr. Potato Head, Barbie, etc. And of course Wreck-It Ralph.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

my friend had me watch The Book of Life a few weeks ago (and then I moved across the country :smith: ) and man that was such a cool movie. Everything about the design was great and it was so cool to learn a little about culture from Central America. Del Toro always goes great work, I don't think I have ever seen a movie with him involved that has failed to wow me just based off of visuals. Story, well, they can't all be winners but usually visuals are enough to distract me from story that doesn't know my socks off

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Sir Lemming posted:

A Roger Rabbit sequel seems doomed to failure because the first movie wasn't really beloved for its characters or plot; it was beloved for what it was, as a whole. Using the same characters in another movie, or continuing the story, is kind of missing the point. All I can think of that a new movie would bring to the table is a) new cameos or b) needless additional backstory about Toontown. Plus the third and most likely option: references to the first movie.

We've already had other movies kind of carry the torch for WFRR. Toy Story to a small extent, by including Mr. Potato Head, Barbie, etc. And of course Wreck-It Ralph.

Or just... tell another story with the same general idea, and carry over a few characters from the first to keep it connected? WFRR's premise, of cartoons being "another Hollywood" living beneath the surface of live human Hollywood, is pretty ripe for exploration.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Or just... tell another story with the same general idea, and carry over a few characters from the first to keep it connected? WFRR's premise, of cartoons being "another Hollywood" living beneath the surface of live human Hollywood, is pretty ripe for exploration.

I agree. The premise is solid and there is a lot of room to explore, particularly some of the oddities of modern animation.

Using computers to go all necromancer with Bob Hoskins and Roger Rabbit would be a bad idea. A sequel at this point would basically need a whole cast and would probably be better for it.

At this point, I'm not even sure we are taking about a sequel and more a spin-off but whatever these days.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

You probably don't even have to go all necromancer with Roger himself; I mean, Bugs and Mickey are still around after all these years, so Roger could also have just been around for whatver time period after the first one is required. Could even hang a lampshade on the period of time in question, have Roger be down on his luck after a bad gig in the 1960's or due to this all-CG era we live in, or something.

Eddie Valiant, though? The character really should die with Bob Hoskins; I don't think anyone else filling his shoes is gonna pan out.

Really, though, as far as having a ton of characters from a single medium cross over, Wreck-It Ralph! is already sort of a spiritual successor. Hell, that one scene from Ralph Wrecks the Internet that they revealed at D23, where all the Disney Princesses interact with one another at some sort of fashion show(?), is available if you need cartoons specifically, although in a much more limited sense (since well, they're all Disney princesses, no crossover with WB or MGM or what-have-you).

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Who Framed Roger Rabbit but Valiant is the cartoon and Roger is an actual genetically engineered bipedal rabbit

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
A toon who gets roles because he looks and sounds like Eddie Valiant, but is explicitly not Eddie Valiant.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I would actually be really okay with them doing a CGI Bob Hoskins Eddie Valiant as long as they do something with it. Have the "new type of toon" cause strife in the toon community and explore that, for example.

e: alternate idea: have Eddie Valiant be long dead, and establish the CGI ghouls as separate characters.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Valiant didn't die he just had cel reassignment surgery

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
No, like, Eddie Valiant died in like '95 in a car crash or something and Roger sees a CGI Eddie walking around and goes "uh :wtc:". That could be interesting.

e: honestly, you could probably do something that's half Blade Runner, half Invasion of the Body Snatchers with this idea. Dead human stars start coming back as CGI constructs, unaware of what they are, poo poo goes bad, and Roger has to team up with the CGI ghoul of his old buddy to figure out what in the Hell is going on.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Aug 31, 2017

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Just use cool world logic to explain why he a toon.

Don't do that

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

This is probably as good a time as any to mention that The Congress is a neat film.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Using a new WFRR to comment on the use of cgi to keep dead actor's likenesses in films could be really good.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

starkebn posted:

Using a new WFRR to comment on the use of cgi to keep dead actor's likenesses in films could be really good.

Honestly, when they mentioned the possibility of CGI Bob Hoskins, this was the most obvious place I figured they could go with it. It's pretty interesting territory for a sequel to a movie that's subtextually about how we relate to animation, and particularly how we relate to the labor behind animation. :v:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Or how about a miserable old Micky Mouse who is forbidden to die

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Eddie Valiant as a Money for Nothing CGI monstrosity because hey it's where technology was at the time

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I think the Jim Henson Company film about a detective investigating a bunch of muppet murders in Hollywood is still going forward, which seems very much like a spiritual successor to Who Framed Roger Rabbit. It also sounds a lot better than any sequel to that film would have been anyway.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife

Red Bones posted:

I think the Jim Henson Company film about a detective investigating a bunch of muppet murders in Hollywood is still going forward, which seems very much like a spiritual successor to Who Framed Roger Rabbit. It also sounds a lot better than any sequel to that film would have been anyway.

Happytime Murders comes out just under one year from today starring Melissa McCarthy and Maya Rudolph. I'm quite excited to see how it turns out.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

"Forget it, Jake, this is animetown."

In the absolute wasteland that was mid-00s television animation there was a c-list cartoon series called Kappa Mikey that was pretty much this, where an American cartoon character travels abroad and lives with a bunch of animes.

It was awful.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Guy Mann posted:

In the absolute wasteland that was mid-00s television animation there was a c-list cartoon series called Kappa Mikey that was pretty much this, where an American cartoon character travels abroad and lives with a bunch of animes.

It was awful.

What a cool premise that was definitely awful.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Pick posted:

What a cool premise that was definitely awful.

How on Earth do you make a western cartoon living in japanese animes not be awful

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also it was 2006, back when anime was getting really popular, but before people who had grown up actually watching anime were making cartoons like they are today, so of course the art was some how to draw manga bullshit that resembles basically no anime ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzqXFfPg6UE

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Calaveron posted:

How on Earth do you make a western cartoon living in japanese animes not be awful

You could parody the tropes and expectations between Western cartoons and anime, but... Yeah, it'd take a delicate hand. Likely scenario is you end up with either voiceless, neutered poo poo like Kappa Mikey or Drawn Together "lol schoolgirl pooooorn" bullshit.

The ideal balance would somewhere between Excel Saga and Venture Bros: Outrageous, referential and self-aware cynicism.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I admit, I just couldn't find Excel Saga at all really funny save for a few gags ("It'd take too long to explain, let me show you a flashback"), but I guess the difference is that I saw it when I was in my late twenties instead of my teens like a lot of my peers had, because I'm certain 14-year old me would've loved the show.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Samuel Clemens posted:

This is probably as good a time as any to mention that The Congress is a neat film.

I thought The Congress was two interesting films smashed together into something that was less than the potential of either. Still very much worth watching, though.

I'm late for this topic, but one of my favorite readings is "I'm going to smoke you" from this scene:

https://youtu.be/oHLw2lyLnA8

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Calaveron posted:

have people who actually enjoy anime and can make jokes about it without resorting to tired cliches on the writing team, basically

OK KO is basically "what if Kappa Mikey was cool and good rather than completely terrible" and the difference pretty much amounts to the show being made with love and care rather than crapped out for money.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

So go the Avatar route then? Hey it worked great when they actually were parodying anime

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I think it's reasonable to say a good parody will always come from love rather than disdain.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm late for this topic, but one of my favorite readings is "I'm going to smoke you" from this scene:

https://youtu.be/oHLw2lyLnA8

David Hyde Pierce being sidelined as an effeminate little weirdo is such a disservice to how good of an actor he is. Pick any random Frasier episode and watch what he does no matter what else is going on. The man is a master.

Das Boo posted:

I think it's reasonable to say a good parody will always come from love rather than disdain.

Being able to make fun of the things you love (and tolerate the fun others make of them) is often a testament to how much you actually love them.

Jacob Sirof, for example.

LoseHound
Nov 10, 2012

Das Boo posted:

You could parody the tropes and expectations between Western cartoons and anime, but... Yeah, it'd take a delicate hand. Likely scenario is you end up with either voiceless, neutered poo poo like Kappa Mikey or Drawn Together "lol schoolgirl pooooorn" bullshit.

If want a vision of Kappa Mikey with schoolgirl pooooorn bullshit, please enjoy the pitch pilot for the show. It features such wonderful and clever jokes like
*LOL Panty shots
*A bad Christopher Walken impersonation
*LOL Underwear vending machines
*an "honorable" game system that commits seppuku (LOL) upon the player's victory.

It's also full of temp voicework and BGM that culminates in a flash animation fight scene with about 20 frames total set to "Walkie Talkie Man".

As a palette cleanser, have a cute new Homestar Runner short.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Das Boo posted:

The ideal balance would somewhere between Excel Saga and Venture Bros: Outrageous, referential and self-aware cynicism.

Part of me wants classic 50s Bugs Bunny or even Daffy Duck shoehorned into something like Dragonball Z or even Fist of the North Star.