Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

Space Skeleton posted:

A G13 isn't really a keyboard, it's basically a hotkey board you program your keybinds into and stick to the side of your keyboard to use instead of one.

I happen to use one too, it's pretty great but hard to go back to using keyboards once you're used to it.

Yah, the thing I'm really addicted to is the analog stick for movement. I can't stand using WASD on games anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

TracerM17 posted:

Yah, the thing I'm really addicted to is the analog stick for movement. I can't stand using WASD on games anymore.

Back in MY day we used to play Doom 1 using only keyboard controls and we liked it. :colbert:

(I never went back to keyboard only controls once I learned mouse look and non-ball mice became a thing)

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
I played TSW on and off over the last couple of years, but I never got past Transylvania. I had a Hammer/Chaos chick that I really enjoyed, even tanking a few dungeons with her, but I kept getting pulled away by other games. I finally got around to rerolling her last night in SWL as a Hammer/Blade and ran through the new tutorial, because I heard we have to transfer our shwag over by 9/4. So far so good. But it looks like Funcom has taken down the chronicles site, so I can't even ogle her old build. Does that still exist anywhere? Does TSW itself still even exist at this point?

As a previous B2P, will it be reasonably easy for me to gain access to Chaos and basically have some semblance of my old toon back? Would Hammer/Chaos even be good for tanking poo poo now?

Does Last Train To Cairo still exist, or did it die so we can all learn and be sad? Are the A'kab still hilariously fun to fight? Is KG still the best quest giver in any MMO?

Brave New World fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Sep 3, 2017

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Brave New World posted:

Does TSW itself still even exist at this point?

Barely and somewhere deliberately hard to find. Probably just directly from Funcom.

Brave New World posted:

As a previous B2P, will it be reasonably easy for me to gain access to Chaos and basically have some semblance of my old toon back? Would Hammer/Chaos even be good for tanking poo poo now?

You should import your old TSW account into SWL so can you have all your old cosmetics unlocked and all the weapons unlocked too. You still need to spend skill points on them per usual though. Also yes Hammer/Chaos would do that very well.

Brave New World posted:

Does Last Train To Cairo still exist, or did it die so we can all learn and be sad? Are the A'kab still hilariously fun to fight?

It's still there and you won't miss it because all the Egypt DLC is now worked into the main story. A'Kab behave the same but TTK is much lower and the game draws ground attacks for you so dodging the charge is a lot easier.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

It always drew the ground attack :psyduck:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Len posted:

It always drew the ground attack :psyduck:

Was hard to remember fighting them several years ago but I'm glad its still like yesterday for some.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

DancingShade posted:

You should import your old TSW account into SWL so can you have all your old cosmetics unlocked and all the weapons unlocked too. You still need to spend skill points on them per usual though. Also yes Hammer/Chaos would do that very well.
I had the Ultimate Edition which included a bunch of DLC and free poo poo.

I initiated account transfer last night. The only noticeable change was that it changed my available # of slots from 1 to 3. My toon is still level 2, and I heard that cosmetics, etc don't technically unlock until Agartha at lvl 10- Is that accurate? Also, mine's a Steam account- should I be converting that to Funcom too? I'm gonna level her up just to make sure.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
You've got a lot going on. Your char level won't change, as it's just a cosmetic copy. Once you reach the portal to kingsmouth in agartha you'll be prompted to claim your tsw vanity items. If your tsw account was a steam version, you should be playing via steam now. I wouldn't unlink it unless you really want to pay via the funcom site. It's a one time irrevocable decision to unlink. So they say.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
I got everything unlocked just fine. The skill window is a lot different, and the game is clearly a lot easier, but it seems to still be The Secret World apart from that. :cthulhu:

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Is it worth getting into this if only to experience the investigation missions and other good content? Or has it become a terrible unfun slog that takes ages to get through?

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

You'll have to play through a lot of story to get to all the investigation missions but the story is really good so it's not a slog at all. Just doing the missions requires zero grinding.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Mystic Stylez posted:

Is it worth getting into this if only to experience the investigation missions and other good content? Or has it become a terrible unfun slog that takes ages to get through?

The main draw is the story lines/writing/voice acting/cutscenes. It's all top-notch. If a person was just looking for WoW Clone #347, this ain't it. After they give you your quest, each NPC has a little blue bubble you can activate to ask them about different topics. Each topic can be clicked on several times until they've exhausted every voice line on that particular subject(it'll then show a green check mark). You'll get way more immersion out of the game/setting if you go through the additional dialogue, but it's not super obvious to everyone starting out that each NPC does have a lot more to say.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

DancingShade posted:

Back in MY day we used to play Doom 1 using only keyboard controls and we liked it. :colbert:

(I never went back to keyboard only controls once I learned mouse look and non-ball mice became a thing)

I don't want to admit how long it took me to go mouselook from WASD and the arrow keys. Now I only go back to keyboard if I have no choice.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

OK, thanks! Is the Illuminati still the way to go?

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

M_Sinistrari posted:

I don't want to admit how long it took me to go mouselook from WASD and the arrow keys. Now I only go back to keyboard if I have no choice.

WASD(left) + Mouse w/ side buttons(right) and binding every key around WASD? I probably couldn't do it any other way at this point.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Mystic Stylez posted:

OK, thanks! Is the Illuminati still the way to go?

It does not matter

But yes

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Templars are the one true light.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Dragons get Japanese Joker (Mark Hamill version) for their handler in whatever comes after Kaidan.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Hello Sailor posted:

Dragons get Japanese Joker (Mark Hamill version) for their handler in whatever comes after Kaidan.

Which is why I swapped from Illuminati to Dragon for the relaunch.

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

Hello Sailor posted:

Whoa, really? Where'd that info come from?

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

crawlkill posted:

The events of Tokyo

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

crawlkill posted:

Do not click on the spoiler. No really.

After you help the host capture Lilith at the end of Orochi Tower. Or watch them do it really.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Tokyo is an absolutely fantastic story, and everyone needs to run through it at least once.

Prygelknabe
Mar 31, 2009

He had a baseball bat, and I was tied to a chair. Pissing him off was the smart thing to do.
Can't wait for the No Fear Foundation questline to return :allears:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I did that questline with a friend, and when we were rummaging through the lockers a decapitated head rolled out of mine and screamed at the top of its lungs. I just about poo poo myself over VOIP, and he had literally no idea why because that event didn't happen on his screen. :saddowns:

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

The worst/best part of that entire thing is entering the building and accidentally looking up.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Kessel posted:

The worst/best part of that entire thing is entering the building and accidentally looking up.

Can anyone, well-versed in the lore explain to me why? What was the purpose of mass suicide. Just to create a huge ghost?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Sekenr posted:

Can anyone, well-versed in the lore explain to me why? What was the purpose of mass suicide. Just to create a huge ghost?

By focusing on eating the light/stars and emptying themselves of human concerns through brainwashing and stuff like outright castration etc it's strongly hinted they are trying to prepare vessels for the dreamers to fill, or to act as their unquestioning puppet agents.

That mass suicide was probably just a test run and/or proof of concept.

If you read all the letters & diary pages in that mission plus the ones in the secret underground cool club house for gifted loner kids in Tokyo Part 2 you can piece most of this together.

But why?

Because Lilith's puppet leader for her Morninglight Cult went rogue due to dreamer influence and/or a power grab. We don't know a whole lot about Philip yet other than what she says shortly before the host captures her mid speech.

So we'll need a new info source after that. And since hubby is very unhappy with us after that particular event he's unlikely to fill in any blanks himself.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Sep 5, 2017

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

DancingShade posted:

That mass suicide was probably just a test run and/or proof of concept.

So we'll need a new info source after that. And since hubby is very unhappy with us after that particular event he's unlikely to fill in any blanks himself.

That is what I was curious about, since there doesn't seem to be any apparent gain for FNF/Marquard or the sleepers, but who knows

I also never really understood the second part, specifically Why did Samael even try to stop us from reaching her, and got angry at the outcome. He seemed very displeased with her shenanigans even before things went out of control with Marquard/the bomb. Didn't they even split paths after her last big fuckup with sleepers?

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Sekenr posted:

That is what I was curious about, since there doesn't seem to be any apparent gain for FNF/Marquard or the sleepers, but who knows

I also never really understood the second part, specifically Why did Samael even try to stop us from reaching her, and got angry at the outcome. He seemed very displeased with her shenanigans even before things went out of control with Marquard/the bomb. Didn't they even split paths after her last big fuckup with sleepers?

He probably still loves her, and has the sort of thinking "the only one who gets to punish Lilith is me."

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Meallan posted:

He probably still loves her, and has the sort of thinking "the only one who gets to punish Lilith is me."

Yeah it's this. If you replay the mission where you fight the Orochi bees a few times you'll notice his dialogue is very protective despite her betrayal.

Granted you may have been a bit distracted by fighting said Orochi bees who respawn forever because hey, they're bees.

Hell he's outright threatening towards you during that level which is a type of unfriendly he has never displayed towards you before. Blackmail? Sure. But he's well beyond that when Lilith is threatened.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

DancingShade posted:

Yeah it's this. If you replay the mission where you fight the Orochi bees a few times you'll notice his dialogue is very protective despite her betrayal.

Granted you may have been a bit distracted by fighting said Orochi bees who respawn forever because hey, they're bees.

Yeah, sadly couldn't really focus on his monologue and never replayed it.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Meallan posted:

He has a line or two during that mission where he outright says this or something to this effect, I think.

And yeah, (about looking up) Lilith tried to make the Morninglight her personal cult, but the Dreamers are not to be outsmarted. The filth bomb was, if I recall correctly, an attempt to kill Lilith at the tower.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Yeah, I just read his text and he says it plainLilith is my wife and thus off-limits to you. Really couldn't pay much attention with all the bee-juggling.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Yup. And Lilith wanted Anima (Emma) to use as a power source for the empty Gaia engine under the Orochi Tower to do things like repair the filth damage and reshape the world.

But I never played through that top end raid content in Old TSW so I don't know the dialogue, just a summary.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Prygelknabe posted:

Can't wait for the No Fear Foundation questline to return :allears:

?

It has. It's in. It dropped with the Kaidan patch.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I have to say, playing through the game's story missions again has been better than expected. Like the mission Obstructive Persons...the first time through I think "oh, they're watching me. Also, Cassandra is still a mystery." The second time through it's the other names that really jump out to me. I see you John.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Phanatic posted:

?

It has. It's in. It dropped with the Kaidan patch.

I think they mean the rest of it which comes once we can get past the first containment wall.

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
John calls himself a plurality in the Manufactory, so I think the mass suicide was an attempt to become a Dreamer. Whether it failed because that isn't how it works or because they hosed up the ritual somehow is unclear to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Not going to lie. I think the buzzing and/or JohnThe Filth would be a great mission control.

For people who didn't choose wisely to get the Yakuza Joker that is.