Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShinyHero
Jul 26, 2017
I learned another interesting way to cheese it. I was shown this video after I had already completed the quest the hard way, but I eventually started a new game and was able to test it for myself. It still worked then, and I haven't heard anything about a patch removing this.

https://youtu.be/2nfCJwqv0YU?t=149

edit: For those who don't want to look at the link:

You can hack one of the worms, remote control it, and just talk to the racer as a worm. This allows you to race as the worm, and those things are very maneuverable and fast, making it pretty easy even without special chip loadouts.

(No real plot spoilers, just game mechanics.)

ShinyHero fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Sep 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Slow is also what got me through Speed Star stage 2. I did not have nearly as much difficulty on stage 3.

Also with hacking there is one quest that will break and become unfinishable if you hack a certain enemy, and that's the machine guarding the old Forest King's tomb. Luckily for my last save wasn't too long ago before that.

Gnome de plume fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Sep 4, 2017

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Yay, caught up.

The Dark Id posted:

There is something of note on the way. Tucked behind this (frankly looking great for being several millennia old) rusted truck is another electronically locked treasure chest. Hacking this produces a “Paper Attracted to Vehicle.” Let’s take a look.

I thought vehicles only attracted mechanics.

quote:

At Level 3 charge, Slow’s radius massive increases and... that’s it. It’s still only five seconds of making all machines within range move like molasses with a 22-25 second cooldown time. There’s plug-in chips that serve the same exact function as this without wasting a Pod Program slot. Maybe there’s some hot tech I’m unaware of that puts this to use. But I found Slow useless as all hell.
massively increases?

The Dark Id posted:

The Type-4O Fists Combat Bracers are a neat looking weapon with upgrades that grant it Stun Up (increased stagger damage, kinda useless for 9S.) At max level it gains Energy Charge. This charges the gloves with electricity if they’re equipped and not used for a few seconds. Which is far more something suited to 9S’s fighting style than 2B’s always be attacking method of combat.
something far more suited?

Pardon my English if suggestions are less than optimal.

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.

Bruceski posted:

"Takada died from magical radiation poisoning, guess I'd better go lick that magic thing he was working on."

I mean, you joke but it wasn't that long ago that chemists in the lab used mouth pieces to suction samples into pipettes. About 20 years ago when Osha demanded they knock that poo poo off, my university had to ship out a crate of dangerously radioactive mouth pieces. The moral of the story is that no matter how smart they are, people are still loving idiots.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

The Dark Id posted:

Oh, there’s no need to fret about them. They were simple. Infantile. Almost like... plants, I guess you’d say. Just with a bit more of a predisposition towards war and murder.
Plants are literally incapable of either of those things.
Alas, it seems the classic piece of human cinema The Happening has been lost to the ravages of time.

Buzzsaw Roomba posted:

Route A

Route B

:thunk:

The Dark Id posted:

Kenichi Sato is the current CEO and President of PlatinumGames. Yosuke Saito is one of the producers of NieR: Automata. All I could find about Maihama is a train station in Urayasu which is also home to the Tokyo Disney Resort. Not sure what that has to do with anything though...
How silly of these developers to put themselves into their own game...

AirborneNinja posted:

Maybe its the veil but her proportions seem really off in this art. Like her neck is half as tall as her head.
I'm pretty sure it's the way the veil masks the lines of the lower half of her face and makes it hard to tell where neck ends and head begins.

InequalityGodzilla fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Sep 4, 2017

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Crigit posted:

I mean, you joke but it wasn't that long ago that chemists in the lab used mouth pieces to suction samples into pipettes. About 20 years ago when Osha demanded they knock that poo poo off, my university had to ship out a crate of dangerously radioactive mouth pieces. The moral of the story is that no matter how smart they are, people are still loving idiots.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demon_core

The "hold my beer" days of nuclear physics.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Science in general, really. Other highlights include someone strapping themselves to a rocket-powered sled to figure out just what kind of accelerations people can handle, and making rocket engines that use hilariously dangerous chemicals even by rocket fuel standards like stuff that causes concrete to catch fire.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

For the purpose of this experiment, are we talking chemicals that ignite when they're on concrete, or chemicals that cause the concrete itself to start burning?

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Rangpur posted:

For the purpose of this experiment, are we talking chemicals that ignite when they're on concrete, or chemicals that cause the concrete itself to start burning?

It reacts with the concrete to form a flame- the two burn in combination. It's an oxidizing agent, the same role that oxygen takes in a normal fire, so it would be said that the concrete itself is burning.

One example chemical (not sure if it's the same one, but it is a proposed rocket fuel):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorine_trifluoride

"It is, of course, extremely toxic, but that's the least of the problem. It is hypergolic* with every known fuel, and so rapidly hypergolic that no ignition delay has ever been measured. It is also hypergolic with such things as cloth, wood, and test engineers, not to mention asbestos, sand, and water — with which it reacts explosively. It can be kept in some of the ordinary structural metals — steel, copper, aluminum, etc. — because of the formation of a thin film of insoluble metal fluoride which protects the bulk of the metal, just as the invisible coat of oxide on aluminum keeps it from burning up in the atmosphere. If, however, this coat is melted or scrubbed off, and has no chance to reform, the operator is confronted with the problem of coping with a metal-fluorine fire. For dealing with this situation, I have always recommended a good pair of running shoes."

"Chlorine trifluoride and gases like it have been reported to ignite sand, asbestos, and other highly fire-retardant materials. It will also ignite the ashes of materials that have already been burned in oxygen. In an industrial accident, a spill of 900 kg of chlorine trifluoride burned through 30 cm of concrete and 90 cm of gravel beneath."

* "A hypergolic propellant combination used in a rocket engine is one whose components spontaneously ignite when they come into contact with each other."

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

That reminds me of the Things I Won't Work With series. From the entry on dioxygen difluoride:

quote:

This stuff was first prepared in Germany in 1932 by Ruff and Menzel, who must have been likely lads indeed, because it’s not like people didn’t respect fluorine back then. No, elemental fluorine has commanded respect since well before anyone managed to isolate it, a process that took a good fifty years to work out in the 1800s. (The list of people who were blown up or poisoned while trying to do so is impressive). And that’s at room temperature. At seven hundred freaking degrees, fluorine starts to dissociate into monoatomic radicals, thereby losing its gentle and forgiving nature. But that’s how you get it to react with oxygen to make a product that’s worse in pretty much every way.
This guy's good with words. The entry on dimethylcadmium is amazing.

ultrafilter fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Sep 5, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Science in general, really. Other highlights include someone strapping themselves to a rocket-powered sled to figure out just what kind of accelerations people can handle, and making rocket engines that use hilariously dangerous chemicals even by rocket fuel standards like stuff that causes concrete to catch fire.

Stapp also became a MAJOR proponent of seatbelts for the obvious reasons :eng101:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ShinyHero posted:

I learned another interesting way to cheese it. I was shown this video after I had already completed the quest the hard way, but I eventually started a new game and was able to test it for myself. It still worked then, and I haven't heard anything about a patch removing this.

https://youtu.be/2nfCJwqv0YU?t=149

edit: For those who don't want to look at the link:

You can hack one of the worms, remote control it, and just talk to the racer as a worm. This allows you to race as the worm, and those things are very maneuverable and fast, making it pretty easy even without special chip loadouts.

(No real plot spoilers, just game mechanics.)

Mountains out of molehills.

OmegaCake
May 5, 2010

Let's say you and I go back to my room and jack in.

The Dark Id posted:

Operator 21O Render – Do those communicator veils give the operators augmented smelling senses too?
...So...not trying to be creepy, but...us that a crescent moon...or eyeball shape on the boobs? ...what kind of clothing design is THAT?! I...I don't...? :psyduck: Why?!

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

OmegaCake posted:

...So...not trying to be creepy, but...us that a crescent moon...or eyeball shape on the boobs? ...what kind of clothing design is THAT?! I...I don't...? :psyduck: Why?!

Nipple missiles.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

aureoles on your areolas

OmegaCake
May 5, 2010

Let's say you and I go back to my room and jack in.

NHO posted:

Nipple missiles.
Ah, a last ditch defense mechanism in case machines get into space! It all makes sense now.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

OmegaCake posted:

Ah, a last ditch defense mechanism in case machines get into space! It all makes sense now.

I thought we had learned our lesson about explosives on the space station by now...

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

So as to keep the derail down, I heartily recommend those interested in the horrors of science pay a visit to the FOOF thread where there's a three-and-a-half year running discussion of the utter horrors of chemicals that want to dissolve your bones and explode your eyeballs.

Also highly suggested is the old standby for tales of rocketry, Ignition! An Informal History of Liquid Rocket Propellants.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The Watchers are watching.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple
Just a heads up that Nier: Automata is on sale on Steam for $38.99 until the 25th if you didn't pick it up in the summer sale or anything.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Bruceski posted:

The Watchers are watching.

Pet not the Watchers
Bathe not the Watchers
Clip not the Watchers' nails
Put not inflatable unicorn horns upon the Watchers

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.
So, that magic sword. Wasn't all magic removed? Granted, the "turn black with red eyes and gravity powers" indicates they missed a lot of spots.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Andyzero posted:

So, that magic sword. Wasn't all magic removed? Granted, the "turn black with red eyes and gravity powers" indicates they missed a lot of spots.

The maso from the Giant (the big pregnant Watcher) caused all the horrible White Chlorination Syndrome. These particles were eventually removed by the Replicants. Red also dissolved into maso, but it didn't cause WCS*- it was benign enough to work with and could be used to enable magic. Thus, all magic is derived from Red's particles, which were left in the current universe.

Who knows how thin those particles are now spread, unless it can somehow self-replicate, or if they're just unnecessary now.

*I can't find a specific reference for Red's maso not causing WCS, but people do handle at least some form of maso for research (EX Project Gestalt, Numbers 6 and 7), and the giant's most certainly does cause WCS.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
I can't imagine that Caim's vast collection of cursed magical weapons exploding helped with the whole "holy gently caress there's evil magical poo poo everywhere" situation.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

I can't imagine that Caim's vast collection of cursed magical weapons exploding helped with the whole "holy gently caress there's evil magical poo poo everywhere" situation.

A lot of them ended up intact in Nier and Nier: Automata. They probably popped out of him like Sonic's rings when the missile hit.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Kavak posted:

A lot of them ended up intact in Nier and Nier: Automata. They probably popped out of him like Sonic's rings when the missile hit.

That's why the fired two missiles. The first removed all of his weapons, the second one killed him.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Zomborgon posted:

The maso from the Giant (the big pregnant Watcher) caused all the horrible White Chlorination Syndrome. These particles were eventually removed by the Replicants. Red also dissolved into maso, but it didn't cause WCS*- it was benign enough to work with and could be used to enable magic. Thus, all magic is derived from Red's particles, which were left in the current universe.

Who knows how thin those particles are now spread, unless it can somehow self-replicate, or if they're just unnecessary now.

*I can't find a specific reference for Red's maso not causing WCS, but people do handle at least some form of maso for research (EX Project Gestalt, Numbers 6 and 7), and the giant's most certainly does cause WCS.

Didn't Red's Maso turn people into red-eyed rage monsters?

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
https://twitter.com/fioaimes/status/905158544084926464

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I can't get any more detail out of the background.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

wiegieman posted:

I didn't realize there was any in there, I just googled for cat's eyes black background.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

wiegieman posted:

Image enhance not the Watchers.

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012

Andyzero posted:

I think Red's maso doesn't turn people into salt like the Queen's, otherwise all of the magic using characters in Nier wouldn't make sense since it's only supposed to start after all traces of WCS have been wiped out. The pod programs are supposed to run on magic as well, I think, and the machines use the same bullets as magic users in Nier so that's still around as well.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Maso presumably from the Queen could also be purified, which IIRC was something that the Shadowlord was doing to keep the shades stable in the runup to Nier 1.

The cleanup was presumably complete or nearly so during the events of the first Nier, though apparently they must not have got it all if the machines came under Watcher influence.

The watchers are apparently harder to get rid of than bedbugs.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
That was the androids and replicants. I don't think Shadowlord cared about anything that wasn't moping over Yonah

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

DeathSandwich posted:

Maso presumably from the Queen could also be purified, which IIRC was something that the Shadowlord was doing to keep the shades stable in the runup to Nier 1.

The cleanup was presumably complete or nearly so during the events of the first Nier, though apparently they must not have got it all if the machines came under Watcher influence.

The watchers are apparently harder to get rid of than bedbugs.

I was under the impression that "Maso" refers to both the Dragon bits and Queen bits, and that the Dragon bits are what we could use. I think even the stuff that needs to be purified came from the Dragon, and that the Queen stuff was just untouchable.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
The red eyed rage monsters were the ones that accepted the pact with the Grotesquerie queen I thought. Rejecting it equaled turning into magical salt?

idiotmeat
Apr 3, 2010
Reading the Drakengard 3 LP, was it implied that there was another universe where Zero was the grotesque and Caim didnt get blown to bits?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Zoe posted:

The red eyed rage monsters were the ones that accepted the pact with the Grotesquerie queen I thought. Rejecting it equaled turning into magical salt?

No, those were the generic legion. The red eyes was the commander, probably being directly controlled by the queen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

wiegieman posted:

• Locked thread