Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

So why did this dude leave again?

Wasnt making enough money to pay his upcoming legal fees.

No really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Hellblazer187 posted:

I think sometimes this thread is too hard on Covok, and plus it's weird to see the verb Arzying replaced.

I can't even remember because 2016 might as well be 1916 at this point, but was Arzy stopped-clock right, or right-right?

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Nocturtle posted:

Arzy was right.

IIRC Arzy flipped out about every minor poll movement in 2008, scared Obama would lose. So he was wrong about being freaked out, cause Obama won. Then I think he got some fancy high finance job and became a Romney supporter for 2012. So he was wrong for doing that too. Although if he really made enough money to throw all his ideals away maybe he made some OK university choices.

Edit: I have no idea if he was active here during 2016, and if he was right about anything then. I just remember that "Arzying" was the term for "irrational freakout at minor bad news" for years after the '08 election. Maybe Covoking is different because it's "semi rational freakout at actual terrible news but please shut up because all of us want to cry all day long but we can't because we're now numb to pain after the last 20 years"

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Sep 4, 2017

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
I have no loved ones and refuse to go outside.

Some uplifting news for those defying Koala with me.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/904752000147087360

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

DaveWoo posted:

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/904738121127952384

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/904743143421218816

These are very reassuring things to read about a man who has access to nuclear weapons.

There's so much poo poo going on and things are getting worse and worse and yet this fucker still won't leave or get impeached. This is such bullshit.

William Contraalto
Aug 23, 2017

by Smythe

Calibanibal posted:

yall lucky I aint a mod or I would give people permission to express themselves and not police thoughts I deem overly negative or pessimistic

We're obviously not lucky because you continue to post.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

He also referred to liberals as race traitors

He also called them "race traders" in the same post and I honestly don't even know what that means.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Discussion Quorum posted:

I can't even remember because 2016 might as well be 1916 at this point, but was Arzy stopped-clock right, or right-right?

Arzy was a broken digital clock that endlessly flashed 00:00.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Curious when the first nation to start accepting political asylum seekers/refugees from the US will be and which country it will be. Canada seems the most obvious for a number of reasons, but I could almost see Russia doing it just as a gently caress-you troll joke.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Calibanibal posted:

yall lucky I aint a mod or I would give people permission to express themselves and not police thoughts I deem overly negative or pessimistic

:siren: THOUGHT CRIMES :siren:

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Dick Trauma posted:

This is meaningless.

Haha true. Trump running roughshod over laws as a literal tyrant is why he has been so successful and why he has achieved so many of his campaign promises like

And

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Hellblazer187 posted:

I think sometimes this thread is too hard on Covok, and plus it's weird to see the verb Arzying replaced.
Arzying is worrying too much about terrible things happening when good or neutral things are likely to happen. Covoking is worrying too much about apocalyptic things happening when only terrible things are likely to happen.

We haven't had a need for the word "arzying" since Nov 8, 2016.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Hellblazer187 posted:

IIRC Arzy flipped out about every minor poll movement in 2008, scared Obama would lose. So he was wrong about being freaked out, cause Obama won. Then I think he got some fancy high finance job and became a Romney supporter for 2012. So he was wrong for doing that too. Although if he really made enough money to throw all his ideals away maybe he made some OK university choices.

I meant that the main takeaway from 2016 was that none of us were Arzying enough. Maybe the world would be a better place if there'd been a little more Arzying.

Also to be honest I'd probably take a highly remunerated finance job if offered.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Haha true. Trump running roughshod over laws as a literal tyrant is why he has been so successful and why he has achieved so many of his campaign promises like

And

Trump is incapable of doing huge political illegalities because of his sheer incompetence but I'm sure he's well practiced in making little "gifts" disappear.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Nocturtle posted:

Also to be honest I'd probably take a highly remunerated finance job if offered.

Oh, same, but I'd still vote Democrat.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Inferior Third Season posted:

Arzying is worrying too much about terrible things happening when good or neutral things are likely to happen. Covoking is worrying too much about apocalyptic things happening when only terrible things are likely to happen.

We haven't had a need for the word "arzying" since Nov 8, 2016.

Got it. Yep, that about sums it up I guess.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Koalas March posted:

Y'all are lucky I ain't a d&d mod and anymore because anyone hardcore Covoking would get a challenge to go doomsay in the streets lmao.

I get it. Things are scary. We have a dementia ridden monster in the white house. North Korea is doing it's thing. Hurricanes. Neo Nazis. Rounding up ethnic populations. The apocalypse is nigh.

Spend time with your loved ones. Wiggle your toes in the grass or sand. Have a cup of tea or coffee and.look out to the sky. Smell the flowers. Enjoy the little things. See a therapist.

Take a break if you get so anxious you need to come in here and spread the anxiety.

Thanks for your mega hot sheetcaking take!!

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

There's more to it than just that. Statistically speaking, Americans are willing to work longer hours than just about any other developed world country. It's that those jobs are underpaid, unsanitary, and/or dangerous, and if you're here legally and can get a job in an air conditioned wal-mart instead, that's what you do. If you aren't here legally and can't get any better work, ok then.

You are barely above OECD average though? OECD average is 1763 annual hours per worker, the US is sitting at 1783. (2016 values) Top of the leaderboard by the way is Mexico with 2255 hours.

William Contraalto
Aug 23, 2017

by Smythe

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Hell yes, I am looking forward to every goddamn left-wing activist killing themselves because shrieking idiots like you have reclassified self-care and psychological well-being as "sheetcaking" and will probably move on to declaring that psychiatric medication is some other dumbass meme.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

You're welcome rando CAC!

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

farraday posted:

I have no loved ones and refuse to go outside.

Some uplifting news for those defying Koala with me.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/904752000147087360

Not so quiet now, eh. Good job Canada.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I could almost see Russia doing it just as a gently caress-you troll joke.

If they did, those asylum seekers would be dead pretty soon after.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

And

Careful, you might have missed a post that you wanted to contradict. Best scroll back a few hundred pages to get them all!

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

botany posted:

You are barely above OECD average though? OECD average is 1763 annual hours per worker, the US is sitting at 1783. (2016 values) Top of the leaderboard by the way is Mexico with 2255 hours.

are you advocating that the US become a third world country for the people on the lowest rung of society?

William Contraalto
Aug 23, 2017

by Smythe

Condiv posted:

are you advocating that the US become a third world country for the people on the lowest rung?

I don't understand how you got that out of "Americans do not, on average, work much longer hours than the average for the OECD nations".

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Condiv posted:

are you advocating that the US become a third world country for the people on the lowest rung?

no, having a low amount of hours worked is actually good! high amounts correlate pretty strongly with lovely worker protection and poverty. the top 5 countries are mexico, south korea, greece, chile and russia. the bottom 5 are france, netherlands, norway, denmark and germany.

William Contraalto
Aug 23, 2017

by Smythe

botany posted:

no, having a low amount of hours worked is actually good! high amounts correlate pretty strongly with lovely worker protection and poverty. the top 5 countries are mexico, south korea, greece, chile and russia. the bottom 5 are france, netherlands, norway, denmark and germany.

I do wonder if the US has a situation where some sectors have people working long hours but other sectors balance that out by relying primarily on temporary workers, though, creating a "worst of both worlds" situation.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

William Contraalto posted:

I don't understand how you got that out of "Americans do not, on average, work much longer hours than the average for the OECD nations".

because hieronymous alloy said: "Statistically speaking, Americans are willing to work longer hours than just about any other developed world country"

that doesn't leave much room to grow hours worked per year unless you want to leave developed country standards behind for those at the lowest rungs

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

botany posted:

i agree, and i also think farm workers should be paid higher wages

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

I do wonder if the US has a situation where some sectors have people working long hours but other sectors balance that out by relying primarily on temporary workers, though, creating a "worst of both worlds" situation.

i have no idea, but it sounds plausible to me. if you can dig up some statistics about that, i'd love so see it.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

We work more than most of Western Europe. I think it's a delusion to think the US is more like Germany/France than it is like Mexico or Turkey, though. We're the biggest economy and a former superpower, but we're still in the bottom half of developed nations for like everything though.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

enraged_camel posted:

Nah, the reasoning is more like "what no i've got a family to feed i can't do that on $7.50/hr" and you're like "oh i see... :rolleyes:"

What will happen is that farmers will have to increase worker wages, which will gradually increase the price of food.
I thought the biggest issue was that it was seasonal work? Taking a dangerous lovely job for minimum wage sucks, but a lot of people would probably do it. Taking a dangerous lovely job for minimum wage that requires you to move to the middle of bumfuck nowhere and only lasts a few months is a slightly bigger ask, even if you change "minimum wage" to "$15-20 per hour".

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

The price of food will not go up.

The government will quietly subsidize farmers to keep prices down, just as they've done for the past seventy years.

There is one thing the government has learned and that's to keep the price of food low.

People will put up with a bunch of poo poo but when food gets expensive? That's a new level.

William Contraalto
Aug 23, 2017

by Smythe

botany posted:

i have no idea, but it sounds plausible to me. if you can dig up some statistics about that, i'd love so see it.

Well, I did find a source which notes that salaried overtime is not counted in US governmental statistics, which is probably the OECD source for their numbers. This report uses census numbers that may be self-reported but it does break things down by occupational groups. Something like 30% of managers and legal workers work 45+ hours a week.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

He also referred to liberals as race traitors

He doesn't seem to be in any shape to all other people that.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

FizFashizzle posted:

The price of food will not go up.

The government will quietly subsidize farmers to keep prices down, just as they've done for the past seventy years.

There is one thing the government has learned and that's to keep the price of food low.

People will put up with a bunch of poo poo but when food gets expensive? That's a new level.

The gently caress you talking about? Beef prices have tripled in the past decade.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Condiv posted:

because hieronymous alloy said: "Statistically speaking, Americans are willing to work longer hours than just about any other developed world country"

that doesn't leave much room to grow hours worked per year unless you want to leave developed country standards behind for those at the lowest rungs

We've kinda already done that, especially if you consider "health care" a developed country standard.

Hellblazer187 posted:

We work more than most of Western Europe. I think it's a delusion to think the US is more like Germany/France than it is like Mexico or Turkey, though. We're the biggest economy and a former superpower, but we're still in the bottom half of developed nations for like everything though.

Yeah this is where I was going. Americans think we live in a slightly downscale England or Germany or France; we don't, we live in an upscale Brazil.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Well, I did find a source which notes that salaried overtime is not counted in US governmental statistics, which is probably the OECD source for their numbers. This report uses census numbers that may be self-reported but it does break things down by occupational groups. Something like 30% of managers and legal workers work 45+ hours a week.

there's also a poo poo-ton of wage theft at the lower rungs, which almost certainly doesn't get reported in statistics. just an anecdotal example, but when i was working pizza delivery at both dominos and pizzahut, they would allocate our stores a certain number of worker hours to get work done. it was always way too little, and so managers would be pressured to push people to clock out early to clean the store and such when we closed. not direct pressure of the kind "you better get them to clock out or you're fired", more like "you better get your hours under control or you're fired".

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Bottom Liner posted:

The gently caress you talking about? Beef prices have tripled in the past decade.

Beef is not "food" and has always been expensive as gently caress relative to other proteins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

that's interesting. i've checked the OECD methodology for US numbers and they say they "slightly upward revise" the numbers they get from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, but don't explain why. I wonder if that's to account for salaried overtime.

• Locked thread