Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

muscles like this! posted:

Also Tom Kenny, Paul F Tompkins, Brian Posehn and Scott Aukerman.

With small appearances by Jack Black and Patton Oswalt.

Basically a bunch of good rear end comedians were involved.
Who also wrote all the sketches along with Dino Stamatopoulos

Its amazing how well the great sketches have stood to the test of time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhVbLJvYP8s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5Oi57fqdU0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSkik6EUQUc

The Commentary tracks are pretty great especially when you get to a meh sketch that leads to Jay Johnston (who is really underrated as a comedian and is probably my favorite of the cast) and Tompkins improving bits
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgVhf4xeOKE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I loved Mr. Show so much that I actually watched those commentary tracks and loved those too. I can't think of another commentary track I've listened to and the concept in general just doesn't appeal to me at all. But I binged all my DVDs one time, wanted more, and figured why the hell not and then just rewatched the entire series a second time with commentary on.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Sep 4, 2017

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Pre taped call in show is just incredible, it's just comedy genius through and through. The Audition is equally superb, and The Story of The Story of Everest is a masterpiece and tends to get recommended consistently.

There's definitely misses, but overall it's amazing.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

esperterra posted:

I'm a proud, gay, american vampire!

I'm a gay vampire American!

Also True Blood is worth watching for many reasons, though I won't begrudge people for dropping it after Alan Ball left.

Watch it for Deborah Ann Woll pls. Also Louisiana Hot Sauce.

Baby Vamp diaries FTW... ignore everything else as you see fit.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

That web series was top notch, especially the season she was staying at the bar and kept roping Pam into it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
oh jeez i forgot about Jessica's Blog, that was high tier meta entertainment

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

END ME SCOOB posted:

The final season has a single amazing detail in it as it averts a happy ending at all costs.

IIRC they ended up reshooting the ending because the original one leaked and it was the happy ending.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

What are the shows returning this week? I know Bojack Horseman arrives at Friday and I want to say that You're the Worst is popping up... Thursday?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
The Halt and Catch Fire intro is my favorite TV intro ever.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Wasn't there another show about androids that came out around the time that that british show Humans came out?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Also, Anna Chlumsky :swoon:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Cameron's genius is getting irritating again. I was pretty happy when her game turned out to be pretensious trash but now she is some Google messiah.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

JethroMcB posted:

Except the last season. Oh, brudder...

It's like everyone except the main cast moved out of Bon Temps in the second half, isn't it? It felt like a real place populated by all of these weirdos and rednecks lived for the first six seasons, then in the last season you get people wandering about empty sets.

The stuff with Eric and Pam in the last season was fun, though.

precision posted:

I don't know, True Blood was never as bad as Dexter's second half of seasons or so. That show made serial killing boring

My theory is that the lumberjack-looking guy Sookie is married to in the final scene is Dexter.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I honestly don't think any series will ever have a finale that tops Twin Peaks' for me.

That's it. That's peak television. Now that that's over, it's all downhill from here.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I honestly don't think any series will ever have a finale that tops Twin Peaks' for me.

That's it. That's peak television. Now that that's over, it's all downhill from here.

Screw the finale, we all know where the real peak TV is at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl3OCzeEMFY

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Party Plane Jones posted:

IIRC they ended up reshooting the ending because the original one leaked and it was the happy ending.

Really? I did not know this and that makes it even funnier.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013
We almost never find out TV shows's actual budget, so I found this article interesting

http://www.nola.com/tv/index.ssf/2017/06/tnt_claws_season_2_06052017.html

The TNT shows Claws filed paperwork to shoot season 2 in Louisiana and to that end they listed their first season budget as $42 million and the planned second season budget as $48,6 million. I have to say, that's a lot higher than I expected for a basic cable show with no real stars. Also interesting to see that the budget is going up significantly for season 2 (assuming the same number of episodes). They must be happy with it as most shows take a budget cut for season 2.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

MiddleOne posted:

What are the shows returning this week? I know Bojack Horseman arrives at Friday and I want to say that You're the Worst is popping up... Thursday?

AHS on Tuesday, You're the Worst on Wednesday and One Mississippi on Friday.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I think I'm going to need some context here

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That is a scene from the new season of AHS.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Ofecks posted:

I signed up for HBO Now to watch GoT and it renewed right before the finale, so I still have it for a few weeks. Need recommendations for series to watch. So far I've seen:

- Oz
- The Sopranos
- Six Feet Under
- The Wire
- GoT
- Boardwalk Empire
- True Detective
- Westworld
- Empire Falls
- Vice
- Big Little Lies
- Tell Me You Love Me
- Sex And The City
- Girls
- In Treatment

Guess it's pretty obvious that I prefer dramas, and haven't touched a single comedy. Are those (Veep, Vice Principals, Silicon Valley, etc.) any good? Thought about True Blood but vampires :rolleyes: For what it's worth I liked them all in various degrees except the last two. Miniseries are fine.
Oh and I forgot watch Band of Brothers

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

GobiasIndustries posted:

The Halt and Catch Fire intro is my favorite TV intro ever.

It's perfect. Also probably one of the best works of abstract graphic storytelling ever. And it's wasted in a TV show intro.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

MiddleOne posted:

I think I'm going to need some context here

Context? With AHS?

Surely you jest?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Evan Peters humping a television might be the greatest thing I have ever seen.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Evan Peters humping a television might be the greatest thing I have ever seen.

I was reading a thing about this season of AHS and they're going to be doing a thing with cult leaders throughout history and Evan Peters is going to be playing all of them.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

I was reading a thing about this season of AHS and they're going to be doing a thing with cult leaders throughout history and Evan Peters is going to be playing all of them.

Considering that him as HH Holmes was one of the best things to come out of the show's post-S2 garbage fire this makes me really happy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCrPJKQiLz8

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speaking of HH Holmes turns out that yes, that is totally him buried in his grave.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Teen wolf status: still surprisingly good. They've managed to create a decent atmosphere of paranoia and dread. It helps that they are up against a smarter, more experienced enemy and are justifiably losing. Sadly Malia remains the worst character.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I fell off the teen wolf wagon a season or two ago. Is it worth coming back for the last season just for the old cast cameos? Also, is the shirtlessness ratio still remarkably low compared to the early seasons? This is important.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Speaking of HH Holmes turns out that yes, that is totally him buried in his grave.

That was such a stupid thing.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

hope and vaseline posted:

I fell off the teen wolf wagon a season or two ago. Is it worth coming back for the last season just for the old cast cameos? Also, is the shirtlessness ratio still remarkably low compared to the early seasons? This is important.

Yeah shirtless scenes are non existent these days so if that was a draw you are out of luck. Malia is still a waste of a character. There is no Stiles.

On the other hand: their enemy is a great example of the past biting them in the arse, there have been some really quite horrifying scenes and an oppressive mob mentality slant to the normal high school hijinks.

Then again I really liked the dread doctors season arc which most people hated, so YMMV.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ofecks posted:

I signed up for HBO Now to watch GoT and it renewed right before the finale, so I still have it for a few weeks. Need recommendations for series to watch. So far I've seen:

- Oz
- The Sopranos
- Six Feet Under
- The Wire
- GoT
- Boardwalk Empire
- True Detective
- Westworld
- Empire Falls
- Vice
- Big Little Lies
- Tell Me You Love Me
- Sex And The City
- Girls
- In Treatment

Guess it's pretty obvious that I prefer dramas, and haven't touched a single comedy. Are those (Veep, Vice Principals, Silicon Valley, etc.) any good? Thought about True Blood but vampires :rolleyes: For what it's worth I liked them all in various degrees except the last two. Miniseries are fine.

Band of Brothers. And the Pacific. And Veep. Also other stuff but that's what I'd recommend first, even over almost all of what you've already watched.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Welp, I finally got to the episode where Mulder leaves the X-files. Should I just bail out now or power through the terrible seasons?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
:sever:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Lurdiak posted:

Welp, I finally got to the episode where Mulder leaves the X-files. Should I just bail out now or power through the terrible seasons?

You've come this far, may as well finish. They're pretty bad, but still decent genre TV. Besides, it's pretty novel having the roles reversed and Scully be a believer while the T-1000 becomes our skeptic.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Mu Zeta posted:

Cameron's genius is getting irritating again. I was pretty happy when her game turned out to be pretensious trash but now she is some Google messiah.

The writers are completely in love with her. They wont let her fall. Instead they made Donna, who was a better character into a bad guy. All because she was sick and tired of being the only one actually trying to keep Cameron's little game company from completely tanking and getting zero thanks from Cameron. I really do not like Cameron and was happy her recent game was a complete failure, although I'm sure in the end they'll show that it was simply ahead of its time and Cameron's genius never went away.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah that's always been my biggest issue. Cameron is a lovely person who the writers are besotted by.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I like Cameron just fine, I like lovely people as characters, but I agree the writers are a little too far up her rear end 90% of the time. It's so satisfying when she actually stumbles and fails, or gets called out on her poo poo with actual consequences, but it doesn't happen often enough.

I think they've done a decent job humbling her a little more this season, but I'm yet to watch this week's episode so that could change between episodes 3 and 4.

Going to watch now, actually.

e: fwiw I think Donna's heel turn and their falling out was an incredible way to explore just how lovely Cameron had been to her, and while I think it feels a little rushed due to the time skips I am enjoying Donna's position now. I can fully buy her becoming this person, but it does feel unearned and weird without seeing more of that journey. It's like we saw the build up, skipped everything important in the middle, and now she's just a cutthroat executive.

esperterra fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Sep 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Wait, there's a show called Real Detective?

• Locked thread