Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012
I feel like Apocrypha has the same problem as most action shows made by A1Pictures, it's well animated but the fights are not well choreographed. Like, there is a lot going during the fights, but most of the time it's just a clusterfuck of elements coupled with mediocre direction that make the action hard to follow. Also A1Pictures action anime get away with a lot of non-animation in their fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

counterpoint: im watching birdy the mighty decode and every single fight has involved birdy jumping around like a grasshopper and spin kicking fools

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Erg posted:

counterpoint: im watching birdy the mighty decode and every single fight has involved birdy jumping around like a grasshopper and spin kicking fools

uh, is that supposed to be bad?

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

uh, is that supposed to be bad?

It's the opposite of bad, I'm saying it as a refutation of A1 getting away with a "lot of non animation in their fights"

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm saying Apocrypha has been a yawn and a half, and then this episode looked wonky on top of everything else.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah but thats because theyre weirdly aping ufotable and also the source material is bad

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012

Erg posted:

That's why I said "most" and not "all of them". Also the director of Birdy the Mighty has also directed the Escaflowne movie.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash had some of the best fights I've ever seen. :colbert:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I remember Aldnoah having pretty deece action, too, and given that fights in that were basically logic/physics puzzles, being able to clearly grasp what was going on during the batshit mecha action was pretty important.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I Love Annie May posted:

That's why I said "most" and not "all of them". Also the director of Birdy the Mighty has also directed the Escaflowne movie.

The director of Birdy directed escaflowne, period

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

I'm saying Apocrypha has been a yawn and a half, and then this episode looked wonky on top of everything else.

yea the stuff with berserker got real bad

been thinking this for a while, but sieg is gonna somehow turn into siegfried and fight mordred isn't he

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Manatee Cannon posted:

yea the stuff with berserker got real bad

been thinking this for a while, but sieg is gonna somehow turn into siegfried and fight mordred isn't he
Since it happened in the opening fight scene, yes he will.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Manatee Cannon posted:

We've seen that Siegfried's heart can change Sieg physically already, going from a child to an adult body, so there's nothing that stops him from becoming Siegfried completely. Also, yeah, we have that Saber vs Saber scene that hasn't come true yet, Sieg becoming Siegfried is the most obvious answer as to how it would happen.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

RIP Fran

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

where does she even keep that phone

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I thought the same thing but at second glance she actually has a fanny pack.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Sindai posted:

I thought the same thing but at second glance she actually has a fanny pack.

Jack has probably the worst design in this show so it's not surprising she wears the worst bag

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I still hate the OP to this series. Song just never really finds its stride.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Shinjobi posted:

Yeah, it's not a good song.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its a good song because the single has an english version of the song that's almost but not quite nonsense

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Fair enough.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Shinjobi posted:

The rest of the soundtrack is really good though, which is baffling.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

You know, I would have thought Sisigo desperately teleporting Mordred clear of the blast, only for the lightning to literally hunt her down, would have been a tad more visually interesting to watch than her just stand there and take it along with some generic implications of boosted defense.

Because that's what happened in the source - Fran's full power NP is more than enough to kill Mordred, and the Command Seal boost just provided a massive power boost to try and ensure it, but Sisigo used one himself to teleport her clear of the blast (similar to Shirou when he called Saber to him in Fate). Due to the CS boost portions Fran's lightning still actually tracked after her, despite it being an untargeted AoE, and dealt an extremely heavy blow with the part that connected.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Lord Koth posted:

You know, I would have thought Sisigo desperately teleporting Mordred clear of the blast, only for the lightning to literally hunt her down, would have been a tad more visually interesting to watch than her just stand there and take it along with some generic implications of boosted defense.

Because that's what happened in the source - Fran's full power NP is more than enough to kill Mordred, and the Command Seal boost just provided a massive power boost to try and ensure it, but Sisigo used one himself to teleport her clear of the blast (similar to Shirou when he called Saber to him in Fate). Due to the CS boost portions Fran's lightning still actually tracked after her, despite it being an untargeted AoE, and dealt an extremely heavy blow with the part that connected.

Yeah that really undersells Fran as a loving wimp lol

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013

Lord Koth posted:

wait so does that mean sisigo's out of seals since he uses a third one for the mordred seig fight

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Lord Koth posted:

All these seemingly unnecessary changes in the anime baffle me.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Lord Koth posted:

Wow, that actually makes Fran seem like a real enemy and not the loser she turned out to be.

Is this show getting a second season or is it more than 12 eps? Because right now it seems like it'll end on a really big cliffhanger

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

25 eps, the whole thing is being adapted

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
what happened to Spartacus after his big laser attack??? I don't think Jeanne reflected it back at him or anything and they didn't show him burning out either, but it seems like he's a pretty big thing for the narrative to ignore? is he still rampaging towards the town? did I miss something?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
There was some dialog before that saying he was nearly dead and was going to spend all the power he was building up on one last big attack.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
so that's both berserkers doing gently caress all before they died then

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
I'm guessing the "unsightly legend" that Vlad was talking about is the whole vampire thing?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Centzon Totochtin posted:

what happened to Spartacus after his big laser attack??? I don't think Jeanne reflected it back at him or anything and they didn't show him burning out either, but it seems like he's a pretty big thing for the narrative to ignore? is he still rampaging towards the town? did I miss something?

Yeah, Luminosité Eternelle is a purely defensive NP, with absolutely no offensive capability whatsoever. It's the completely made up Alter version of Jeanne that has the offensive version of that - which is also one of the most bullshit NPs in the entirety of the Fate series. :v:

Ehhh, not really. He obliterated half of Yggdmillenia's castle and basically shattered every single one of their magical defenses, allowing the Hanging Gardens to approach and steal the grail. I mean, that wasn't his intent - he was just aiming at the largest symbol of oppressors nearby - but that's how it worked out. He would have aimed at the gardens as well if it wasn't flying.

Also, not sure if it's lovely translation or lovely A-1 explanation, but the gardens aren't so much the territory of Red, so much as they simply do not count as Romania, completely robbing Vlad of his massive native power boost. None of the other Black Servants are suddenly weaker, nor are any of the Red Servants stronger (aside from Semiramis, for obvious reasons).

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I would heavily bet on lovely adaptation at this point. This is like the 12th thing that's happened where it's actually explained elsewhere and yet it's skipped over for no reason.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Not exactly - he provided a gigantic distraction that let Semiramis roll in, destroy the enemy's base, and tractor-beam the Grail unopposed. He didn't kill anyone, but he massively swung the war in Red's favour.

Lord Koth posted:

Yeah, Luminosité Eternelle is a purely defensive NP, with absolutely no offensive capability whatsoever. It's the completely made up Alter version of Jeanne that has the offensive version of that - which is also one of the most bullshit NPs in the entirety of the Fate series. :v:

Ehhh, not really. He obliterated half of Yggdmillenia's castle and basically shattered every single one of their magical defenses, allowing the Hanging Gardens to approach and steal the grail. I mean, that wasn't his intent - he was just aiming at the largest symbol of oppressors nearby - but that's how it worked out. He would have aimed at the gardens as well if it wasn't flying.

Also, not sure if it's lovely translation or lovely A-1 explanation, but the gardens aren't so much the territory of Red, so much as they simply do not count as Romania, completely robbing Vlad of his massive native power boost. None of the other Black Servants are suddenly weaker, nor are any of the Red Servants stronger (aside from Semiramis, for obvious reasons).

Darnic specifically mentions that being on Red territory is robbing him of his 'king's power', which seemed clear enough to me, especially since they've already talked about that power boost he's getting from being in Wallachia.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
is there an obligatory one of the servants becomes a big threat that requires a temporary truce to deal with in every fate

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

is there an obligatory one of the servants becomes a big threat that requires a temporary truce to deal with in every fate

no this doesn't happen in f/sn in any of the routes.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

poor vlad

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Stairmaster posted:

no this doesn't happen in f/sn in any of the routes.

don't people team up a bunch in UBW and maybe F/SN (I only saw the terrible anime adaption)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

don't people team up a bunch in UBW and maybe F/SN (I only saw the terrible anime adaption)

There's a difference between teaming up and teaming up against a servant because they're going against the rules of the HGW/threatening to break the masquerade that keeps the magic and mysteries of the world hidden. The latter is important because magic and whatnot draws some of its powers from mysteries.

• Locked thread