Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

Jazerus posted:

It's Her Turn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I will never forget that one of the major proposals of the west wing White House was a tax deduction for college tuition that they then completely forgot about after Jed got reelected

I'm pretty sure it was dumped during the government shutdown. They talked about it again after that.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

medicare for all is a neoliberal half measure over the real progressive platform of a national health service

stfu, you disingenuous bad dem.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

i don't know how I got my gang tag or what it means but I'm ok with a murder spree as long as wj is the first up against the wall.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

nhs is better than medicare for all, really

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I don't know about you but I don't know why anyone would vote for that, because the lesser of two evils is still evil

die die motherfucker

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

as much as I'm not thrilled about kamala harris I think a lot of the leftists would just grit their teeth and vote for her. she's much more palatable than clinton. kirsten gillibrand is also another candidate that the clinton wing would embrace, and she's been fighting to reposition herself as staunchly anti-trump and taking as many leftist positions as she reasonably can (israel BDS aside) -- also an advocate of single-payer and raising the minimum wage

Honest question - why? Policy wise they're not very different, and the recent vocal support for stuff like MfA or $15/hr minimum wage was in response to the election and the feeling that taking such positions is necessary; I have little doubt that folks like Harrison or Gillibrand wouldn't have expressed those views otherwise. Even Hillary had already technically shifted her policy on the latter of the aforementioned things, and if she runs again (which I doubt, fortunately) she'd probably also shift it on the former if the other centrist candidates were doing so.

I doubt there would actually be much of practical difference between those three politicians if they were elected president.

SKULL.GIF posted:

was just posting about this in the trump thread but candidates like randy bryce/nina turner/keith ellison, or hell, even al franken, would be great over the clipped and sculpted corporate suits that the democrats keep on delivering us

I'm not saying that any of these four names I provided should be the candidate, I'm saying that the type of person they are -- genuine, sincere people with sincerely held leftist beliefs -- would be much more generally acceptable to all the various groups in the democrat wing

This is using a pretty weird definition of leftist. I haven't seen anything to indicate that either Randy Bryce or Keith Ellison are anything more than left-liberals (and honestly the former seems to have kinda incoherent political views), and while that's certainly a heck of a lot better than the Democratic mainstream, I'm not sure how I feel about watering down the definition of "leftist" like that.

Ytlaya has issued a correction as of 02:12 on Sep 5, 2017

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

Honest question - why? Policy wise they're not very different, and the recent vocal support for stuff like MfA or $15/hr minimum wage was in response to the election and the feeling that taking such positions is necessary; I have little doubt that folks like Harrison or Gillibrand wouldn't have expressed those views otherwise. Even Hillary had already technically shifted her policy on the latter of the aforementioned things, and if she runs again (which I doubt, fortunately) she'd probably also shift it on the latter if the other centrist candidates were doing so.

I doubt there would actually be much of practical difference between those three politicians if they were elected president.

That the thing about these bad dems, they any adopt positions like $15 minimum wage or medicare for all due to winds shifting.

They have no heartfelt belief or history of supporting such views,

This can be contrasted to Bernie who has always been a advocate for progressive ideals and constancy of action to back up his talking points such as engaging in union membership drives.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

Darkman Fanpage posted:

I'M STILL WITH HER *straps on suicide bomb vest*

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

We're all With Her down here

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Someone make a Peter Daou as Pennywise photoshop to go with that, please

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Luckily there's a safe free speech zone for Hill Folk in the D&D forums.

Maybe would could direct Peter there?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
checking 4 gangtag

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

anime was right posted:

checking 4 gangtag

rip

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Nonsense posted:

Bernie owns
Confirmed

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
Also: http://verr.it/

WHAT IS THIS

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

R. Mute posted:

:agreed:

MFA is a half loaf, NHS is a full loaf

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Concerned Citizen posted:

the part that drives me nuts about this is the fact that she blames sanders for producing more appealing policies. like, well great you propose a policy to make college affordable, except your policy takes 45 minutes to explain and it's still difficult to figure out while bernie is just like "no more tuition" and you've got the gist of it. the problem is not that bernie's proposals are one-upping you, it's that basically any policy at all that can be comprehended by the average layman is more politically effective than a 10 page white paper that no one will ever read.

i dunno, up to $17,500 in student loan forgiveness for startup entrepreneurs is pretty easy to understand

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Just wanna take this dude and smear him up with some mud and grime and wrestle with him like we used to do in the marines and show him how Bernie is superior

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

medicare for all is a neoliberal half measure over the real progressive platform of a national health service

Nah lol

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

white sauce posted:

Just wanna take this dude and smear him up with some mud and grime and wrestle with him like we used to do in the marines and show him how Bernie is superior

:yikes:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

code:
I'm sorry, Daou.
I can't let you do that.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Probably Magic posted:

The whole loving point of campaigning in the primaries is to pander to the base, and she can't even "grasp" that.

You need to remember that Hillary Clinton has no base. She won an election once, in the safest blue seat in the country, and that was explicitly given to her by the Democrats to prep her for a Presidential run. The political career of Hillary Clinton is entirely a creation of the Democratic establishment and their financial backers.

Clinton literally owes the voters nothing.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

R. Mute posted:

I'm cool with whichever doesn't charge me $100 to get a prescription refilled annually.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

You need to remember that Hillary Clinton has no base. She won an election once, in the safest blue seat in the country, and that was explicitly given to her by the Democrats to prep her for a Presidential run. The political career of Hillary Clinton is entirely a creation of the Democratic establishment and their financial backers.

Clinton literally owes the voters nothing.

She also carpet bagged into the area which pissed off Ted Kennedy and started wearing NYC Yankees hats after carpetbagging into the district.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

WJ's post is technically correct, but MFA is such a huge leap forward by itself that I'm ok with incrementalism in this case

A good counterargument to incrementalism is that basically every progressive change to government is incrementalist; the key is to make the increments big enough that they're noticeable to the average person, because otherwise they don't last.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Rand alPaul posted:

I'm cool with whichever doesn't charge me $100 to get a prescription refilled annually.
healthcare has just been outlawed. hospitals are torn down. the sick are hunted for sport. prescriptions are free now but they're just a piece of paper telling you to run. ron paul has a permanent erection.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/904883299318808576

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

R. Mute posted:

healthcare has just been outlawed. hospitals are torn down. the sick are hunted for sport. prescriptions are free now but they're just a piece of paper telling you to run. ron paul has a permanent erection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otFW-xb9J1U

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

and Hillary can't even support that.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
omg

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

nice

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol

https://twitter.com/indiemusicfan0/status/904883651418234880

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Theeee Aaaaalgooorrithmmmm :worship:

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm just killin' in OK City

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

respect are troops and they are kinks

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lastgirl posted:

Theeee Aaaaalgooorrithmmmm :worship:

Also by this event Dread Abuela showed she was pro-gun and pro-death penalty to the crowd.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

hell even thatcher's britain had a nhs so like let's not go crazy trying to polish a turd

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

we're gonna hire all the best, brightest and most beautiful coastal elites for our campaign and then they're going to spend the entire length of the campaign stabbing each other in the back to gain favor with the khaleesi hillary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
i mean hey, bernie would have won and all, but jesus christ progressive is just a euphemism for liberal

• Locked thread