Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

And all of that could have been avoided if your brother hadn't been an idiot who actively chose not to equip goad.

Cool, had a reason why he couldn't say it before the tank threw a hissy fit and booted so you fall back to "no you're just dumb". I see why you're the new belzac :thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

lol ok bro

Leal posted:

E: Oh and my brother took goad off his hotbar because almost no one in DF actually needs it.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
That tank was a huge baby, but everyone is coming out of that scenario looking kind of dumb. There's seriously no reason not to pack Goad on the classes that can take it. There are not any competing choices worth a drat.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
the extent of my goad-griping is just saying 'goad plz' if i'm tanking and have a melee dps, but yeah there is zero reason to not have goad slotted 24/7. even if you're doing solo content.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Take that greed lineup of True North, Crutch, Arm's Length, Second Wind, and Bloodbath

Then tell people they need to goad you.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I use Bloodbath, Second Wind, True North, Invigorate, Leg Sweep for solo stuff and sometimes I forget to replace Second Wind with Goad in dungeons. Especially since a lot of times you don't get a second physical DPS and a lot of tanks don't spam aoe or are DRKs.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

WrightOfWay posted:

I use Bloodbath, Second Wind, True North, Invigorate, Leg Sweep for solo stuff and sometimes I forget to replace Second Wind with Goad in dungeons. Especially since a lot of times you don't get a second physical DPS and a lot of tanks don't spam aoe or are DRKs.

PLDs also don't have much for TP issues. It's really only WARs who have TP issues from aoe threat.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I give goad to everyone but nobody ever gives me goad
no good deed goes unpunished

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
I had a DRK today in Aurum Vale who just would not complaining about how slow we were going. They were absolutely being an rear end about it*, but it still really put a sour note on things.

Like, I don't know what he was expecting from us. I was a 48 NIN with crappy levelling gear, the other DPS was a BRD, and I was still trying to get used to having all 3 mudras to play with. Like, is there anything other than Doton, Katon, Death Blossom spam I could've been doing for big pulls?
Oh yeah, and he asked (in the middle of a boss fight) if either of us had any skills to refresh the healer's mana. Sooo... :geno:
edit: oh, BRD actually does have an MP-refresher. Well, still.

*(paraphrasing, but after the last boss)
DRK: running this dungeon took so long I got old
DRK: which of you is going to pay for the nursing home I'm going to need
[DRK] slaps you.
...and then he left the instance. :(

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

the extent of my goad-griping is just saying 'goad plz' if i'm tanking and have a melee dps, but yeah there is zero reason to not have goad slotted 24/7. even if you're doing solo content.

I took goad off my bar as a SAM because no one else goads me when applicable and goading the tank just makes them pull more when I'm the one running on fumes most of the time.

I'll put it back on when I get goaded and not a pull before :colbert:

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

You know I played WoW for like 8 goddamn years, but I swear I've seen more goddamn puns and references in these quest names in the week I've played than I ever had in WoW.

I don't know whether to be disgusted or amazed

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Primadonna tanks night I guess. If I get a group that isn't performing to par I just adjust my pace, if I'm running low on TP I just spin 2 win less. Having a good whinge at people you'll probably never see again is dumb.

I'm sure as gently caress not going to get mad about poo poo in a dungeon.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Bolow posted:

You know I played WoW for like 8 goddamn years, but I swear I've seen more goddamn puns and references in these quest names in the week I've played than I ever had in WoW.

It doesn't stop. It never stops. Which is kind of great, actually.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Bolow posted:

One thing you won't miss: Metzen's writing.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

Bolow posted:

It's not just you, they layered on the quest puns super thick in Stormblood to the point where if there wasn't a pun in the quest name, it would be a song quote or something.

No, really. A good number of the quest names are apparently based off of lyrical quotes from Hamilton.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Bolow posted:

the constant puns are basically a defining feature of this game

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

SL the Pyro posted:

It's not just you, they layered on the quest puns super thick in Stormblood to the point where if there wasn't a pun in the quest name, it would be a song quote or something.

No, really. A good number of the quest names are apparently based off of lyrical quotes from Hamilton.

Oh, it happens MULTIPLE times.

I think my running tally hit five, but I forgot to write down which ones.

I would post the compilation images, but really, it's best to groan as you come across them.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Sep 5, 2017

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

hobbesmaster posted:

50-60 are a little lackluster compared to 30-50 and 60-70. The 70 quest is fantastic though.

60-70 quests wrap up quite a few loose ends. Also, their attentions to details are awesome, like (lvl 68 quest spoiler)

When you go back to the bonfire after you completed the quest :cry:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I take goad cause what else am I gonna take, but the occasion in random DF groups that I actually see someone that needs it is so rare I'm not gonna blame someone for doing something else.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i mostly leveled my dps using friends' tank queues, so i can't really imagine a tank not spamming aoe. i love tanking exdr because i can do like seven decimates in a row and then overpower like ten more times.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Khisanth Magus posted:

PLDs also don't have much for TP issues. It's really only WARs who have TP issues from aoe threat.

When I run PLD and the dps party members aren't doing their AoEs I will eventually run out of TP from Total Eclipse spam. This happens more often than I'd like.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Augus posted:

no goad deed goes unpunished

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Though to be fair, even though Goad is always on my own hotbar as dps I often forget to use it on the one guy out of every five or six dungeons who actually burns their TP bar appropriately.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

So what is the offtank supposed to do in Castrum Meridianum when I roll it on the main scenario roulette? Am I basically a slightly shittier DPS?

I tried to pick up some of the adds during some of the bigger fights but the Warrior was already there and grabbed them.

I'm going to admit since I grinded Dark Knight to 50 on the palace main tanking anything more than regular dungeons scares the poo poo out of me. I'm very glad when I get to offtank things, but when it's not just a boss I'm confused.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Offtanks are incredibly underused in encounter design in this game. I don't think any story mode has a tank swap for example.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Xarbala posted:

Probably oughta report that tank and healer duo for abusing the kick function.

They don't do anything about that 9 times out of 10.
They don't do anything to players posting racist poo poo in the PF either actually.

The GMs don't do much.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

hobbesmaster posted:

Offtanks are incredibly underused in encounter design in this game. I don't think any story mode has a tank swap for example.

I think Square designs most main scenario content around the assumption that at least one of the tanks and one of the healers won't know what they're doing

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Flavahbeast posted:

I think Square designs most main scenario content around the assumption that at least one of the tanks and one of the healers won't know what they're doing

Unfortunately if there's a 50% chance of it you'll get 2 tanks or 2 healers that don't know what they're doing often.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

i think a tank swap is sadly a little bit beyond the amount of difficulty squenix wants to include in story content. most tank swaps are 'swap or die' and i'm sure it would do nothing but piss off a lot of people who don't understand why the boss oneshots them halfway through the fight.

i think there really ought to be an introductory raid wing where it teaches you all about stuff that seems basic to internet readers but isn't obvious to head-in-the-sand players, things like shirking and when to reprisal and even when to use your cooldowns. as it is now, the game teaches you nothing about tanking beyond the existence of your enmity combo and that you should not lose aggro. this is a fine primer but doesn't hold up very well even in the later dungeons, to say nothing at all about doing the primals or raids.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

Before the cross class ability revamp, they had to design casual encounters around the fact that some tanks wouldn't even have provoke. Even now they have to design around the fact that some tanks might choose to be idiots and not have provoke or ultimatum slotted.

It's still a complete mystery as to why they need to limit the number of role abilities you can have active.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Fister Roboto posted:

Before the cross class ability revamp, they had to design casual encounters around the fact that some tanks wouldn't even have provoke. Even now they have to design around the fact that some tanks might choose to be idiots and not have provoke or ultimatum slotted.

It's still a complete mystery as to why they need to limit the number of role abilities you can have active.

~~choices~~

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
the choice between whether or not your raid wipes because you picked the wrong cross-class

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i think the vast majority of raids would wipe to raidwides without 2x reprisal, for example

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Man I love having to remember to swap between provoke/shirk/reprisal and ultimatum/anticipation/awareness depending on whether I'm doing 8-person or 4-person content.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

make role action swapping macros dumbo
code:
/aaction clear
/aaction "Shirk"
/aaction "Reprisal"
/aaction "Provoke"
/aaction "fourth thing"
/aaction "fifth thing"

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Fister Roboto posted:

Well they have to allow the people who play classes rather than jobs to have something going for them. :shrug:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Ghost of Starman posted:

I had a DRK today in Aurum Vale who just would not complaining about how slow we were going. They were absolutely being an rear end about it*, but it still really put a sour note on things.

Like, I don't know what he was expecting from us. I was a 48 NIN with crappy levelling gear, the other DPS was a BRD, and I was still trying to get used to having all 3 mudras to play with. Like, is there anything other than Doton, Katon, Death Blossom spam I could've been doing for big pulls?
Oh yeah, and he asked (in the middle of a boss fight) if either of us had any skills to refresh the healer's mana. Sooo... :geno:
edit: oh, BRD actually does have an MP-refresher. Well, still.

*(paraphrasing, but after the last boss)
DRK: running this dungeon took so long I got old
DRK: which of you is going to pay for the nursing home I'm going to need
[DRK] slaps you.
...and then he left the instance. :(

It's a stupid loving primadonna tank here. He should be thankful that you guys managed to beat pissvale to begin with, that place is absolute cancer. And if he knew anything about his own class, he'd know that MP regen skills don't even work on Dork Knights as long as Darkside is up (always be in Darkside). I bet he was using the wrong combo too, since the class gets a button that recovers a significant chunk of MP as part of their combo and it absolutely trumps any MP regen you get from another class.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I usually just req and holy spirit spam when out of TP on PLD but still please goad me if i'm low and a bunch of mobs are still up.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...
I make a dps tank for 15 seconds and get called a literal game ruining player

Literal game ruining tank sits during a trash pull over Goad and goons rush in to defend him?

:psyboom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I keep goad on my bars on most melee classes just so I can passive-aggressively put it on the BRD or PLD who insist on never using their TP even when there are like 5 mobs to hit.