Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
It's amazing to me that they didn't realize how quickly Masterpieces would reach the point of diminishing returns. Especially when their plan was to put 40-50 of them in every block. There just aren't that many exciting cards people want premium reprints of even before you consider the restriction of making all the ones in a set fit some kind of theme.

Expeditions would have been a cool one-time thing but then they beat it into the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
The last block of them had a good half a dozen pauper staples so they were headed in the right direction.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

I love that vampire knight.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

mcmagic posted:

That's a lot of work for a maze of ith...

Not if you have 7 lands already.

A control deck that likes this card seems reasonable. Though the front half is hella marginal, and the maze not being able to untap your own guys is kinda lame.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Really interested in this, I liked Brutal Hordechief's designed and played it in budget Warriors in standard, but there's no getting away from a 3/3 for 4 being a bit too small, at least this guy can survive a lightning strike. This guy doesn't have the activated ability though, so might be a wash.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

This does seem like something that got bumped up in rarity at the last minute. A vampire tribal appropriate keyword ability wouldn't have been out of place here for a rare (lifelink, menace, even first strike), but I guess a color swapped Hellrider is too strong for Standard these days.

Still, if there are enough vampire 1-2 drops I could see this doing some work.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

This does seem like something that got bumped up in rarity at the last minute. A vampire tribal appropriate keyword ability wouldn't have been out of place here for a rare (lifelink, menace, even first strike), but I guess a color swapped Hellrider is too strong for Standard these days.

Still, if there are enough vampire 1-2 drops I could see this doing some work.

I think BW vampires will have lifegain triggers in lieu of a keyword, so this might grant multiple triggers, so this should synergise.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Entropic posted:

It's amazing to me that they didn't realize how quickly Masterpieces would reach the point of diminishing returns. Especially when their plan was to put 40-50 of them in every block. There just aren't that many exciting cards people want premium reprints of even before you consider the restriction of making all the ones in a set fit some kind of theme.

Expeditions would have been a cool one-time thing but then they beat it into the ground.

I think if they limited it to 15 per set, with 5 being new cards, it would have worked. They really just blew their load in the first two.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I really dig all of these transform cards. I can't vouch for how good any of them are, but they're all very aesthetically pleasing, both in art and overall design.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

GoutPatrol posted:

I think if they limited it to 15 per set, with 5 being new cards, it would have worked. They really just blew their load in the first two.

Another approach would have been to just print every single eternal playable card, even the worthless ones. Being able to 100% masterpiece a Modern deck is more interesting than having a couple random cards.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

The Lord of Hats posted:

I really dig all of these transform cards. I can't vouch for how good any of them are, but they're all very aesthetically pleasing, both in art and overall design.

I fully expect at least one to be so aggressively costed it's practically a ramp spell.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Procrastinator posted:

Not if you have 7 lands already.

A control deck that likes this card seems reasonable. Though the front half is hella marginal, and the maze not being able to untap your own guys is kinda lame.

A control deck needs Maze of Ith early in the game. By the time it gets to turn 7 it's much less useful.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

It doesn't make sense flavorfully that it's not a combat damage trigger. Shouldn't the boat have to reach land in order to establish a foothold?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

finally the vanilla mythic we've all been clamoring for

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Well, I'm glad they're not pushing all the mythics.

They couldn't have made it an instant for that mana cost?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Entropic posted:

Nothing wrong with printing force of will every year. I'd like 4 of them with different insert borders. Then another 4 for a different deck.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

So how are people going to try to cast this for free?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Gonna get one of these altered with the galaxy brain meme.

E: And then get a copy of Divination, Concentrate and Opportunity each altered with the other panels and then run them together.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Sep 5, 2017

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Chill la Chill posted:

Nothing wrong with printing force of will every year. I'd like 4 of them with different insert borders. Then another 4 for a different deck.
But my investments!

(just kidding, please print more. I only have 1)

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Entropic posted:

Opportunity is a 6 mana instant, and this draws 3 more cards.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

mcmagic posted:

So how are people going to try to cast this for free?

Wildfire Eternal?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Entropic posted:

Gearhulk.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

C-Euro posted:

Gonna get one of these altered with the galaxy brain meme.

E: And then get a copy of Divination, Concentrate and Opportunity each altered with the other panels and then run them together.

Portent gets the thinking emoji

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

This is a really strong. pirate payoff for limited. Curve any two drop pirate into this and smash. And it's a common.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Ein Sexmonster posted:

This is a really strong. pirate payoff for limited. Curve any two drop pirate into this and smash. And it's a common.

Freebooter, gank your removal -> Cutlass, have fun dealing with a 3/3 flier.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

This having flying might actually make this card constructed playable. It might be the best discard left after rotation.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

What's interesting to me is that between this pirate Mesmeric Fiend sidegrade and Hostage Taker, black appears to have at least somewhat reclaimed the Faceless Butcher space.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

is this the thread to discuss deck building or is there another thread for that? I found one, but the only option to reply was "archive" so

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Entropic posted:

I think it's odd too. The only reason I can think of is that they want each individual card to be so rare that even if the chance of opening a masterpiece is low, the chance of opening a specific one is astronomically low.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Omar al-Bishie posted:

is this the thread to discuss deck building or is there another thread for that? I found one, but the only option to reply was "archive" so

Here is the most up-to-date Brewhaus thread. It hasn't had any posts for a while, but you can usually expect more than one response for feedback.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Gonna curve Kari Zev into this so hard

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Give me cards with interesting designs I can use outside limited or give me death

Give you depth or give you death?

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

little munchkin posted:

finally the vanilla mythic we've all been clamoring for

The card wishes it was mind spring

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Marketing New Brain posted:

The card wishes it was mind spring

No card wants to be Mind Spring.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

I like the blue mythic in a mono blue improvise deck.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I don't know when/why someone would want this card but I guess it exists

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Elyv posted:

I don't know when/why someone would want this card but I guess it exists

There it is, the goblin 2 drop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
What should I play in the top 8 of my local store's modern league tomorrow? I'm top seed so I'll be on the play and I think they're doing best-of-5 so sideboarding will be really relevant.

I'm anticipating facing deaths shadow, tron or eldrazi tron, affinity, and probably some sort of coco deck, but there could also be Ad Nauseum or Scapeshift in there.

I've been on BW eldrazi for a while but was considering jeskai control. I like BW for being able to be the thoughtseize deck on the play with lots of good sideboard options.