Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ChaosArgate posted:

Alm used to be a blue-haired lord! Does it still count though now that he's green for the modern era?

What he was is inconsistent, as Gaiden art assets never seemed to agree with each other. His manual artwork and the game's cover has him with green hair, in-game and in Complete it's blue. Manga goes with green, Awakening decided to appeal to both by having him with both colours, until Echoes revamped everyone and just made it green, as it should've been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Sacred Stones totally has blue haired Lords.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
Turquoise is close enough to blue, Ephraim and Eirika get a pass.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Robindaybird posted:

Isn't there less of a distinction between blue and green in Japan least in language?

Blue is "ao" (青) and green is "midori" (緑), so no, not really.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Materant posted:

Blue is "ao" (青) and green is "midori" (緑), so no, not really.

Classically, blue and green were both 青, as a holdover from ancient Chinese, where the character is pronounced "qing", which the Japanese borrowed. But yeah, now there's a much more clear distinction.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I just know in a lot of languages green and blue aren't as distinct as they are in English.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Well hello! I didn't see you there. I was just on my way to the Illusory Daitou miniboss, and look what I stumbled upon.

Ellie just picked up EP Fitness, so nothing too special there, but Kiria unlocked her next sidequest.

Anyway, we're picking up at the east exit of 2F. Technically we're done with the first set, but this side opens up to the last set of terraces that we couldn't access earlier.

It leads us to a couple goodies, including the Piercing Eyelashes in a locked chest. It's not a terrible accessory, but we have better options for pretty much everyone.

It also leads us to this little cave of goodies. If you've been paying attention, you'll remember that we never reached the east entrance to 1F from the outside. For our trouble of finding this secret little room, we get a Balm of Life and a cool 35k in cash.

And before we head to the miniboss, we do a tiny bit of grinding to pick up this little gem. I think Arrow Rain is the first multi-target physical skill we've picked up, and it's pretty solid! Medium bow damage to everything on the field is nothing to sneeze at, especially in an area where any fight might have 2-3 peg knights in it.

And that'll do it for Set A. Off to Set B!

It looks like we don't really have much choice... Just have to keep moving.

Hold it! Something's coming this way!

Careful, everyone! Here it comes!

:siren: Illusory Daitou Miniboss :siren:

This miniboss is more difficult than you'd expect, but still fairly simple overall. She comes with a pair of mages and barbarians that are significantly beefier than their random counterparts, and the barbarians in particular are going to cause Ellie and Tsubasa a lot of trouble if they aren't dealt with immediately.

Kiria can handle both sets of mooks, but unfortunately the mages null ice. That slows us down a bit more than I would like, but right now the first priority is reducing enemy numbers.

Multi-target physicals work in the exact same way as multi-target magic. You only get a session if the enemy you target is weak to the attack, no matter what other weaknesses you might hit. While I really want to take care of that barbarian, he isn't weak to bows and there's no reason to waste the extra damage, so targeting the boss it is.

And then this happens anyway. So much for my careful planning.

As you can probably guess, One-Sided Love inflicts charm.

It's not as useful as you'd expect, given charm's pedigree as an ailment. Occasionally they'll do something dumb like smack another enemy, but the vast majority of the time, it just makes enemies waste their turn doing nothing.

First move from the Chaos Peg Knight is to cast Sukukaja and Sukunda. This is obnoxious because...

The red mages will happily spam Mediarama until you put them out of their misery. When you're dealing with an accuracy penalty on both ends, this fight can get out of hand very, very quickly.

Touma being a backup member means that he dodges the Sukunda penalty, plus it gives us a strong physical fire attack. That makes quick work of the red mages, if nothing else.

When she's not busy buffing, the miniboss will throw out a pair of Skewers for moderate damage. This is much more dangerous when it leads into a combo with the barbarians, but we've already neutered that threat with charm.

With the trash taken care of, we can get to work on the peg herself. Tsubasa/Ellie/Itsuki is probably the best party here, thanks to hitting her electric, wind, and bow weaknesses with more or less every combo.

Around Turn 6, we get everyone's favorite message. This time the barbarians are out, and more peg knights are in.

This is where Ellie's choice of weaponry comes back to bite me in the rear end. Normally she's only weak to axes, but since her bow makes her weak to all physical attacks, she immediately takes three lances to the face and bites it. Thankfully the turn order makes it so that I don't lose anything (Tsubasa goes first next turn anyway), but that could have gone south very, very quickly.

Now, Ellie gets to work her magic. Arrow Rain will hit a weakness on 3/4 enemies on the field, plus I can immediately follow it up with a session on one of the peg knights. This is why we did that tiny little bit of grinding before coming here.

okay ellie jesus i get it

Any remaining difficulty in this fight is gone once Ellie lands that second charm. The resulting session wipes out the mooks, and the boss herself goes down with minimal fuss shortly thereafter.

Not much to say about the aftermath, really. Ellie upgrades Fire Strike to Flame Strike and Itsuki and Tsubasa get slight upgrades to Fang Breaker and Mazan.

We also unlock Tsubasa's second sidequest, so it's a good day for sidequests in general.

:siren: Stronger Together :siren:

Oh hey, look who decided to come visit. He does house calls *and* he comes on location. What a reliable guy, that Yashiro.

I'm under no obligation to tell you. Besides, it's hardly your concern.

Wait! We want to save our friend. If you know something, please tell us!

Again with this "friend" business... If you intend to continue with your little games, you will need to be stronger. As you are now, you are weak. I suggest you train further before you concern yourself with anyone else's welfare.

I...don't think that's right. That can't be the only way to strength. There has to be some way we can all become stronger, together!

...Pathetic.

...Watch your tone. I don't have much patience for sheep who are helpless without their flock.

Having friends doesn't make you a "sheep." But I can't expect you to understand the difference.

...You're right, I don't understand. Very well, keep playing with your so-called friend and let him drag you down. I imagine it's only fitting.

Him? What, Itsuki? What do you have against him?

And with that, he walks off. We can chat with Kiria in the arena, but all she does is muse about why Yashiro was even here.

Next time, Set B!

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

This dungeon looks a lot longer than the previous ones.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Yashiro with the drive-by rain on the friendship parade.

Also, I feel like One-Sided Love has an unusually high chance of triggering because once I unlocked it it seemed to go off every other attack for Ellie.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

MightyPretenders posted:

This dungeon looks a lot longer than the previous ones.

It's really not, it's just that the sidequests and stuff are kinda dragging it out. Each of the two sets has two floors, and there's a small puzzle on each of them, plus the miniboss in between Set A and B. And even then iirc Set B is a lot smaller than Set A, I don't even think it has a second floor puzzle.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Artix posted:

It's not as useful as you'd expect, given charm's pedigree as an ailment. Occasionally they'll do something dumb like smack another enemy, but the vast majority of the time, it just makes enemies waste their turn doing nothing.
An enemy standing around drooling and grinning like an idiot is an enemy not murdering my vulnerable archer and pegasus knight/mage. I'll take all you got. Honestly, with status ailments like Panic and Charm, being MegaTen's Confusion analogues, the main benefit is the action denial, and any damage the enemy manages to deal to its fellows is an incidental benefit.

RandallODim posted:

Also, I feel like One-Sided Love has an unusually high chance of triggering because once I unlocked it it seemed to go off every other attack for Ellie.
I had that happen with one of Itsuki's skills, and it similarly (and rather satisfyingly) chumped a later boss, whereas I must have unlocked this one, but I don't remember ever actually seeing it. Labyrinth also seems to trigger quite frequently for me. It's all RNG.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

RandallODim posted:

Between Ellie and Virion there's a lot of one-sided love to go around :v:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

This dungeon, along with this miniboss and the main boss at the end is really the first time i noticed the game being anything other than pretty easy. That peg knight fight can mess you up pretty bad and Artix got lucky with 2 ad-libs going off.

Odd though how the next dungeon is probably the worst to try and navigate but the boss isn't to much trouble from what i remember.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
And other side stories will unlock more ad-libs? Do you even get a normal attack off by the end of the game?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Glazius posted:

And other side stories will unlock more ad-libs? Do you even get a normal attack off by the end of the game?

I think all characters only have like at most 2 ad-libs, one for their weapon skill and one for their main element. Other side stories unlock SP skills for party members and other attacks we haven't seen yet, and I think there's only like 3 side stories per character, I forget.

Also, as I said before in the thread, ad-libs fire off the first time you use a linked skill after you get them. Ellie's proc'ing twice this fight is just luck on the second one, the first was preordained.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Nope, they were both luck. As I mentioned, I did a little bit of grinding to get Arrow Rain, and the free one goes off the first time you use any bow skill. So the game really did just decide to poo poo all over that poor peg knight.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Glazius posted:

Like any Persona/SMT game except maybe Persona 5, doing a regular attack option after the first 30 minutes or so of gameplay is something you don't want to do if you're trying to kill somthing fast.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Artix posted:

the game really did just decide to poo poo all over that poor peg knight.
Happened to me in most Fire Emblem games. :rolldice:

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Artix posted:

Nope, they were both luck. As I mentioned, I did a little bit of grinding to get Arrow Rain, and the free one goes off the first time you use any bow skill. So the game really did just decide to poo poo all over that poor peg knight.

Right, forgot about that since it was the first time you showed that skill off. I guess the RNG just really didn't like that miniboss to have Ellie proc twice with that Ad-lib in the fight like that. Not complaining though.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
After this game was announced I was immediately attracted to it, but after hearing it was more SMT (a series I have no experience with) then Fire Emblem I held off on buying it.
However I recently found this game for only 15, which is the perfect price to attempt a new game.
I'm playing through this as we read this LP. And I'm really enjoying my time with it. It looks and sounds great. It's just a crime that you can't play this game off TV. :(

I'll certainly read this LP until it catches up to me.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
I've been meaning to ask this for a while, but what controls whether a character appears in battle henshin'd or in their civvies (uh, or whatever stupid outfit you've stuck them in)?

(also, after listening to the Mirages chatting to their partners in battle, I finally pinned down what this reminded me of: Kamen Rider Den-O. Admittedly, it's not a takeover, but the general idea is similar.)

CaptianKatsura
Feb 28, 2011

I'm not Katsura, I'm Captain Katsura!

vdate posted:

I've been meaning to ask this for a while, but what controls whether a character appears in battle henshin'd or in their civvies (uh, or whatever stupid outfit you've stuck them in)?

(also, after listening to the Mirages chatting to their partners in battle, I finally pinned down what this reminded me of: Kamen Rider Den-O. Admittedly, it's not a takeover, but the general idea is similar.)

Characters appear in battle in whatever outfit you have set for them, but ad-lib skills (and I think special skills as well) change them into the outfit related to the sidequest that unlocked the skill (and then they change back to what you had set after the animation is finished).

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

vdate posted:

CaptianKatsura posted:

Characters appear in battle in whatever outfit you have set for them, but ad-lib skills (and I think special skills as well) change them into the outfit related to the sidequest that unlocked the skill (and then they change back to what you had set after the animation is finished).

Yeah, when your party members take Carnage Form going into a battle (and during the cutscenes of them doing so at the start of a battle that sometimes play), they put on whatever outfit you selected for them in the Equip menu, like in Persona 5. I'm pretty sure Artix has shown off the costume shop in a previous update; that's where you go to buy costumes like civvies, idol practice outfits or other clothes your characters are seen to wear in side stories and such, unlike in P5 where pretty much all outfits were DLC. The fight loading screen will always show them in their bog standard Carnage Forms though, as you can see.

And yeah, using an Ad-lib, some SP skills and another class of skill we haven't seen yet changes the character's outfit temporarily to something connected to the side quest where the skill was unlocked (or the cutscene after the sidequest is completed) for the duration of the skill's animation.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

GhostStalker posted:

Yeah, when your party members take Carnage Form going into a battle (and during the cutscenes of them doing so at the start of a battle that sometimes play)

The cutscenes specifically play when either a new party member is used for the first time, with them doing their street clothes to carnage form transformation, or if you've changed someone's costume since their last time out, though it only plays for one person even if multiple folks have a new outfit on.

Also it's still hosed up Artix doesn't have Touma in his leopard print leather jacket aka the best outfit in the game.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

RandallODim posted:

The cutscenes specifically play when either a new party member is used for the first time, with them doing their street clothes to carnage form transformation, or if you've changed someone's costume since their last time out, though it only plays for one person even if multiple folks have a new outfit on.

Also it's still hosed up Artix doesn't have Touma in his leopard print leather jacket aka the best outfit in the game.

Makes sense. I thought it was (mini)bosses that triggered the sequence, but they don't show up often enough for the ones we've seen so far, I guess.

And yes, I agree that Touma should be in that leopard print leather jacket Carnage Form posthaste.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Set B is much smaller than Set A, although a large part of that is because we'll be making a very short visit today.

Before we go inside and meet the director again, our favorite cleric is hanging out on the left side of the building. You know the drill by now.

>Itsuki accepted the quest "Ditch the Deadbeats"

Right... I need you to track down that butter-voiced Inferno and his friend, the cocky Blackscale Rider. Oh! And I forget his name, but the last one in the trio is the worst. The worst! Get the slowest slowpoke ever!

Well, the Inferno is easy, and the "slowest slowpoke ever" is pretty obviously the knight, so that's already taken care of. We haven't seen any Blackscale Riders yet, though.

Once we're inside, we're immediately greeted by the director and another barrier. Nowhere else to go, so we might as well see what he wants.

:siren: Dia Witch Iroha :siren:

We had a singer lined up, all squared away. Set to sing a certain song. But now? Cancelled! No replacements! No understudies! Too last minute...!

But I think some of you kids might have the chops for it. I want one of you to fill in! Could you give it a shot? Now the song, right, the song is the main theme for Dia Witch Iroha!

Well, I'm not sure what I was expecting, but it wasn't that. I guess it makes sense though, this is Barry's idolasphere, after all.

What!? After all that running around, you want us to sing some anime song!?

You can't be serious... We gotta sing here?

This is too much...

Daitou TV always stick to their show schedules, even in emergencies. But really, man? Anime? HERE?

...I don't know that song at all.

Oh, I remember Barry making a big deal about the limited-edition box set for this anime! I think...

I don't even know why they provided the other choice, really. :allears:

Now, Touma! Sing! "Dia Witch Iroha" and "Masqueraider Raiga" both air on Sunday mornings, right? I'm sure you've got this!

What!? Wait, how do you even know that!? Look, Sundays or not, I've never watched that anime before!

Nope! Good voices. Fine voices! But none of you know the words! Come on, isn't there something you can do?

Looks like we've just got to buckle down and learn the song... Let's head back. We've got two professional singers with us, I'm sure we can do this.

What, you guys need a meeting first? Fine, let's take five. But we're on the clock here! Got it?

So, we're stuck here until we can sing the theme song to Barry's favorite anime. Time to head back to the studio!

quote:

Hey, Barry would probably have CDs and DVDs of "Dia Witch Iroha!"
*sigh* Why do I have to do all this research on a theme for an anime that I've never watched before?

And there's a little poke from Ellie if it wasn't immediately obvious what you needed to do.

:siren: To Iroha from Me :siren:

Let's take a listen.

Everyone is intently listening to the music, but someone is clearly more into this than the rest of them. No points for guessing who.

Hmm, the professional intently listening and in love with it, or the panicking teenager? :thunk:

Tsubasa, can you do it?

U-Ummm... If I had more time...

What about you, Kiria?

...This voice... It's so...adorable...

Uh, Kiria?

Huh!? O-Oh, nothing! It's fine, I'll sing it... Please let me handle this.

Kiria Kurono's soul as an entertainer has achieved a new awakening! Kiria's inspiration has taken form as a new performa: To Iroha from Me!

Go go plot coupon!

All right! Next stop, the Bloom Palace! If Kiria's shining with that kind of performa, we've got nothing to worry about!

Anyway, this is where I originally intended to end the last update, so I went and did a bunch of offscreen stuff between the last recording session and the next one. So here's a bunch of out-of-place stuff that doesn't really go anywhere!

Itsuki and Ellie get Sword and Fire Boost respectively.

Prize Winner increases the money and performa bonuses that we get for doing sessions.

And we get a host of new weapons, our total haul being the Poison Arc for Ellie, Mill Cutter for Itsuki, Yggdrasil Rod for Kiria, and Eligor for Touma. Now back to your regularly scheduled content!

So, now that we've learned the song, let's blow the director away.

:siren: Dia Witch Iroha, Part 2 :siren:

Well? Chop chop! Let's hear it!

...Looks like I'm up. Leave it to me.

:siren: :siren: :siren: Dia Witch Iroha :siren: :siren: :siren:

Lyrics posted:

Shining bright, I can feel a glowing light
Shining in my heart
Here comes a perfect magic spell!
(Healing!) (Feeling!) (Appealing!)
100% and reaching out to you -
Dia-Dia-Witch-Witch Sweet!

I'm Iroha, a witch in training!
Everyone ready?

1, 2, 3, 4!

Everything goes round and round...

Kiria is uh...exceptionally excited to sing this song, and you should really watch the video for this scene. That's all I'm gonna say on that particular song.

So, what'd ya think?

Hm... This might be even better than the singer we originally had planned for the show... Awright, this'll do just fine! You guys go wait in the next room! I'll go on ahead!

Phew... Yeah. Not a bad song at all. Okay, let's get going.

Immediately after the director, we run into the wrong side of a one-way door. Hang a left, and...

Well, we get ambushed first. At least there's no savage enemies in this one!

So yeah, we hang a left from meeting with the director, and then immediately run into him again. Thankfully this is the last time.

Our guest musician's performance got extended, and we can't squeeze in the anime song...and the script got changed. Please deliver these new scripts to the tall guys standing outside. Book it!

"Book it"? Do you want me to make an appointment with them, or-

We gotta start shooting before the writer changes his mind, otherwise he'll change the script again! It's a race against time!

That countdown on the bottom of the screen isn't a joke. I don't know how long the timer is (based on when I got the halfway prompt, it's around 10-15 minutes?), but if we don't deliver all three scripts before it's over, we'll have to do the entire segment again.

The actual area outside is just another terrace maze. I'll spare you the details and just hit the highlights.

Troublemaker increases the success rates of inflicting status ailments for the entire party as long as Ellie is in the active party. It's...okay? Status ailments in general aren't that useful, but it's a nice support skill if you specc'd Kiria that way, I guess.

We finally run into a Blackscale Rider, and like their Fire Emblem counterparts, they're basically just beefier peg knights. Same weaknesses, similar strengths, they just trade some Res for a healthy chunk of HP and Def. Would have been cute if they pulled from Radiant Dawn and were weak to Thunder instead of Wind, but TMS rarely acknowledges that those games exist anyway.

There's three of these guys we need to hit, one each in the north, south, and east.

Itsuki trades Res Boost for Quick Step, which boosts his evade against physical attacks of all flavors.

Endless Act is as it always is, a filler skill that might accidentally save your rear end some time.

And a handful of goodies scattered around the area. The performa is part of the combination for Itsuki's Prize Winner skill, as detailed above.

Anyway, the whole thing is pretty easy, and as long as you don't go out of your way to fight literally every single enemy you see, you should have plenty of time to get all the scripts out. Back to the director!

You can listen to that big guy's live show. I don't know what it is, but his techniques are really something. It's not every decade you get to see a superstar! Go for it! Just don't cause any trouble for the performer!

Phew! Okay, who's hungry?

True to his word, we walk out the north door and we're at the end of the dungeon. Next time, it's Barry's big show! See everybody then!

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Artix posted:

Kiria Kurono's soul as an entertainer has achieved a new awakening! Kiria's inspiration has taken form as a new performa: To Iroha from Me!

Does Tsubasa gain that unique skill if you pick her instead, or does it just give you funny dialogue then continue as if you've picked Kiria?

Artix posted:

True to his word, we walk out the north door and we're at the end of the dungeon. Next time, it's Barry's big show! See everybody then!

Can't wait for the next update! :munch:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

amigolupus posted:

Does Tsubasa gain that unique skill if you pick her instead, or does it just give you funny dialogue then continue as if you've picked Kiria?

Artix picked Tsubasa in the video, not Kiria. It gives funny dialogue then continues with Kiria, it isn't an actual choice.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Blaze Dragon posted:

Artix picked Tsubasa in the video, not Kiria. It gives funny dialogue then continues with Kiria, it isn't an actual choice.

Ah, thanks! I didn't watch the video so I didn't realize that was the case. :)

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Yeah, Tsubasa would've never been able to sing that animu song without a ton of prep, as nervous as she was. Kiria's, as the cold girl who actually really likes cute things, is of course the choice to do so. And she knocked it out of the park too, the video in question was one of my favorite scenes from the game that I saw. Having watched too many animu with that kind of song as the OP, plus getting into Love Live, the Dia Witch Iroha song hit all the right notes with me.

Also, that line to Touma telling him to sing it is great too.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Sep 13, 2017

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
I can't wait for us to throw down against Barry and his Mirage (who I can only assume is Vaike, because, well, Barry).

I also love that in this, a game vigorously attempting to reach peak anime, the characters almost all respond to the theme song request with 'anime? Really?'

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

vdate posted:

I can't wait for us to throw down against Barry and his Mirage (who I can only assume is Vaike, because, well, Barry).

I also love that in this, a game vigorously attempting to reach peak anime, the characters almost all respond to the theme song request with 'anime? Really?'

Barry did go metal, an axe user is appropriate.

E: Ah, i thought you were comparing their high intensity/energy personalities

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Sep 14, 2017

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

FoolyCharged posted:

Barry did go metal, an axe user is appropriate.

That was actually my reasoning.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wait, doesn't Kiria work for this agency that uses Barry as a trainer? How has she never heard the theme song to Dia Witch Iroha?

I guess Barry strictly segregates his work and personal life to a degree I didn't think.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

vdate posted:

(who I can only assume is Vaike, because, well, Barry).

I would more think Vaike might have been his mirage back when Barry was an active front liner.

Since he's a boss now, it's clearly a villain axe user, maybe one of those metrosexual berserker brothers?

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Glazius posted:

Wait, doesn't Kiria work for this agency that uses Barry as a trainer? How has she never heard the theme song to Dia Witch Iroha?

I guess Barry strictly segregates his work and personal life to a degree I didn't think.

Or maybe Kiria just never needed the Barry Boot Camp treatment. Which is a shame, when you think about it. She would have enjoyed it much more than either Tsubasa or Itsuki.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Barry is an incredible professional and clearly separates business from pleasure :colbert:

Otherwise part of training would likely be, "go stand in line and get this limited edition store exclusive here while I get one over there."

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

cdyoung posted:

I would more think Vaike might have been his mirage back when Barry was an active front liner.

Since he's a boss now, it's clearly a villain axe user, maybe one of those metrosexual berserker brothers?

Villains who use axes in Fire Emblem are a lot.

From every beginner villain (because the lord uses swords), to the guys who are Wyvern Lords.

Michalis is also an option.

You know, the second coming of Iote, that guy against you in Marth's story.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
One last order of business before we head into the Barry fight - new weapons.

The Killer Bow does exactly what you think it does, but the Brave Spear just provides a slight regen effect when it's equipped. Come on Atlus, I want to see some multi-hit action here, don't wimp out on me now. :colbert:

Anyway, let's get this train rolling. Barry awaits!

:siren: All You Need Is This Axe :siren:

Ngh, it's strong... That's a lot of negative energy coming from him.

If we can somehow separate them...

I know a few of you were hoping for Vaike (and Vaike would have been a great choice, not gonna lie), but Barry is all about heavy metal.

quote:

Draug is a knight from FE1, and like pretty much every character of that era, his characterization starts and ends with "Is a knight of Altea". And like most Shadow Dragon characters, he's the template that the rest of the series has followed, for better or worse. At least his SD art is nice, although admittedly it would be hard to be worse than whatever passes for a face in 1990.

Uncle Barry!

:monocle:

You shouldn't have come! It's too dangerous here - you need to go back to the office!

No, I will not be going back! U-Uncle Barry's in trouble! I can't just sit still and do nothing!

Mamori...

What's happened to Uncle Barry!? Why is he playing the guitar with that monster!?

Barry's being controlled.

Uncle Barry... He was...always by my side, cheering me on... And he was there for me whenever I was sad...

And he even saved me from that monster earlier... He always protects me! So...this time, I'm going to be the one to help Uncle Barry!

Uncle Barry...! Can't you... Can't you hear me...!?

Ma...mori...

Uncle Barry!

Do not listen...! You need only the axe in your hands...! Heed them not! Harden your heart! Yield to none! Withstand! Withstand! WITHSTAND!

Mamori... All I... wanted... was to hear... you... sing... Your... song...

Barry's regaining consciousness...!

The man's got guts... He's fighting off the Mirage's control with sheer force of willpower...! If we can give him one last push, he might be able to break out of the Mirage's grasp!

Your song might be able to help him break free!

Me, sing...? Okay... I'll do it!

Anyway at this point Mamori sings an abridged version of Raindrop Memories. The full version is in the next update so if you're really curious you can watch the video, otherwise all that's important is that she sang for him.

You have to listen... Hear my voice...!

Mamori's song has overcome the Mirage's influence. I had no idea she had this much power within her...

Mamori... So this is your song... your heart... I could feel the message of your soul... It made my heart pound, with a fiery eight-beat measure...!

Close your ears! Let not your feelings sway you! Deny your heart! Deny! Deny! DENY!

Even if I can't listen, or I'm out cold, true feelings resonate right here! That's what the metal's about! You ain't anywhere NEAR metal right now! You think you can control Barry goddamn Goodman... with THAT CRAP!?

:allears:

And so we do the usual song and dance.

Now's our chance, Itsuki! Break the connection, and sever the Mirage!

Gaaaaaaaaaah!?

All right, everyone! Let's do this!

:siren: Boss Fight: Cursed Draug :siren:

Draug is, relative to when you fight him, probably the easiest boss in the game. There's a lot of reasons for that, but the big one is that at the end of the day, he's a glorified knight with boss levels of HP. And when we're at the halfway point of the game, you have to do better than "a generic enemy with a couple thousand extra HP."

As usual, our first priority is to kill off the extras, but especially the mages. Both the cleric and the red mages serve no purpose other than to cast Mediarama, and Draug has a lot of health that doesn't need refilled three times a turn.

Of course, a turn one Labyrinth doesn't hurt.

Draug has four tricks up his sleeve, the most basic of which is to hit for moderate axe damage. Depending on which mooks are alive, that *can* spiral into a nasty combo if he hits the wrong person, but you can see that even when hitting a weakness, Draug barely gets above 150 damage.

Unlike a regular knight, Draug has both the HP and the mooks to make Bodyguard annoying. This means we're forced into using multi-target spells and abilities in order to hurt his remaining flunkies, and neither Tsubasa's Mazan nor Kiria's Mabufu is going to do much to the red mages. Time for another plan.

I won't complain if the red mages want to spam spells on themselves, though. An interesting quirk of Bodyguard is that it still applies even when the attacker is one of Draug's own, so the peg knight ends up poking Draug for minimal damage.

Okay, now you're just showing off. That Mabufu would have killed the red mage and peg knight anyway. :colbert:

Mad Dash is his final attack, and really the only one of any real threat. It's powerful enough to instantly kill just about anyone except Itsuki, and he can drop it any time he wants, although he'll only use it once a turn.

His final toy is a particularly nasty one, although it's only really dangerous if he still has some mooks alive. Makarakarn reflects the next magic attack on the entire party, which is a problem when the boss has a glaring, magic-shaped weakness.

Unfortunately for him, Itsuki nulls electricity. :v:

Reinforcements arrive on a 3-turn delay after you kill them. That's not to say they're a problem, just that you have less time than you might expect once they're out.

And we have just the cure for a wayward cleric.

I legitimately forgot he even had Tetrakarn until I was writing this update. It *could* be dangerous if combined with Bodyguard, but he's already in critical HP and we're about to stuff him so full of magic that it won't matter.

Good night, my friend. What a waste of a boss fight.

Right around here is the point when I realized that I never used Ellie and so she missed out on the experience bonus. Oh well, she got used a lot during the dungeon so I'm not really torn up over it.

And the last thing for the night is a quick round of skills. Itsuki picks up Elec Boost, Kiria gets extra experience off the bench, and Touma upgrades Skewer to Assault Dive.

Next time, the big finish to Chapter 3, and the halfway point of the game. See everyone then!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Draug, huh?

Eh, okay, sure.

• Locked thread