Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

The_Doctor posted:

I think of those early TNG bridge designs with sofas and coffee tables, where it was more like a large airport lounge with civilians all just kind of wandering around with coffee.

The Battle Bridge is a hot-tub with a wet bar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

MikeJF posted:

That was absolutely what the D was meant to be in the starting concepts: a very early proto-GSV. A flying starbase that could rock up at a planet and support massive disparate operations, and carried an entire slice of Federation civilisation.

Also able to just fly out and wander for extended periods of time without ever touching at an actual starbase or colony. If we're going to dream about TNG remakes that would be my big one - send that big fat fucker way the hell out of Federation space and keep it there for at least a full season or more.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

vermin posted:

The Battle Bridge is a hot-tub with a wet bar

I'll thank you not to refer to Cetacean Ops in that way :mad:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I say do that with the next next series; have the Enterprise-G leave known space in the pilot and not return until the end.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MikeJF posted:

I say do that with the next next series; have the Enterprise-G leave known space in the pilot and not return until the end.

So, Voyager?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Bloop posted:

So, Voyager?

Explorers exploring instead of WILL WE GET HOME THIS WEEK (no) and WHERE WILL WE FIND NEW COFFEE SUPPLIES

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Croatoan posted:

So whatever happened to Axanar? It was a steaming pile of hot poo poo last I heard. Is it dead? The website doesn't say much really.

They're believed to have run completely out of money.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

MikeJF posted:

Explorers exploring instead of WILL WE GET HOME THIS WEEK (no) and WHERE WILL WE FIND NEW COFFEE SUPPLIES

I'll say this for Janeway, she was an explorer to a fault. She would stop at every interesting anomaly or planet to do some science, at the cost of slowing their trip significantly because of her background as a science officer.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Watching The Child.

Energy beings...I hate those guys. There really should be an entire wing of Starfleet dedicated to preventing them from loving things up whenever they make contact. There's gotta be some kind of energy based racism among the rank and file at one point.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
My brother and I refer to any Trek alien that is shown to be a floaty point of light as The Tinkerbell Entity

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

spincube posted:

The Enterprise-D was a gigantic, comfortable space-liner with several unfinished decks and a crew of just over a thousand, plus a civilian entourage: what better example of a flagship for a utopian, post-scarcity society of explorers?

I'm pretty sure the thousand people included the civilians. I have a vague recollection of someone saying that the actual number of Starfleet crewmembers was similar to Kirk's Enterprise, meaning there were more civilians on the Enterprise than Starfleet.

That sounds like stupid bullshit, so it's probably true.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I wonder if there's school zoning on board the D. Decks 2-8, you go to the school on deck 7 with the awesome Ms Shra'ka, but decks 9-17 you go to the crappier school on deck 20, and the teacher there is Mrs O'Brien, who hates everyone.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

McNally posted:

I'm pretty sure the thousand people included the civilians. I have a vague recollection of someone saying that the actual number of Starfleet crewmembers was similar to Kirk's Enterprise, meaning there were more civilians on the Enterprise than Starfleet.

That sounds like stupid bullshit, so it's probably true.

Yeah, the ~1,000 figure was the total number of people on the ship at any given time. I don't think the breakdown of Starfleet(red/gold/blue)/civilian was ever even hinted at on the show itself, but David Gerrold (who basically ghost-wrote the initial TNG writers' bible) put in his novelization of Encounter at Farpoint that the "operations crew" on the Ent-D was supposed to be about the same size as Kirk's Enterprise and I think the civilian complement was somewhere around 350-400.

I'm also recalling a ~200 number for civilians but I can't remember where that number's floating up from.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

So, Troi's body got violated, she got to be a mother, and then her child committed suicide. She got to smile at the end and it'll all be erased by the next episode so I guess Betazoids are just better at handling trauma than the rest of us. I hope Troi going through horrible soul-breaking ordeals doesn't become a stealth theme of the show.

And according to mustache doctor there's a chance a vaccine could never be made for the plague they were transporting that Troi's kid ended up killing himself over, for a little icing on the suicide cake.

On the plus side

Worf: "I will tuck the boy in at night."
:gowron:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

vermin posted:

I hope Troi going through horrible soul-breaking ordeals doesn't become a stealth theme of the show.

You may not be cut out for the Enterprise. Perhaps you'd be more comfortable on a freight vessel

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Yeah, the ~1,000 figure was the total number of people on the ship at any given time.

That seems almost nightmarishly low, for a ship the size of the Galaxy-class: I could totally understand the 1000 being a mixture of 'operations crew' and labcoat-wearing microscope-using Starfleet eggheads posted to the ship, with the rest of the accommodation filled with civilians to stop everyone getting all Space Madness.

Just 1,000 people on board is a hell of a lot of open space, even accounting for storage and unfinished decks; miles upon miles of pot plants, beige/pastel upholstery as far as the eye can see.

The_Doctor posted:

I wonder if there's school zoning on board the D. Decks 2-8, you go to the school on deck 7 with the awesome Ms Shra'ka, but decks 9-17 you go to the crappier school on deck 20, and the teacher there is Mrs O'Brien, who hates everyone.

My Dad says Miz Shra'ka is a Dominion War vet, and she once fired a phaser into the ceiling when K'Voth said Narendra 3 was an inside job

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

spincube posted:

My Dad says Miz Shra'ka is a Dominion War vet, and she once fired a phaser into the ceiling when K'Voth said Narendra 3 was an inside job

Yeah but your dad also said Betazed was never invaded during the Dominion War, and it was all a false flag operation.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
When it comes to crewing, I remember reading that the designers of the D assumed it'd have an operational crew of something like 10k, but Gene bitched and demanded it be cut down to ~1000.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

RE: Starfleet personnel numbers:

These are the people at the top of their class, especially in 2363. They're not going to like showing up late. By 2373 Starfleet is losing at least dozens of ships month and scrambling to fill every spaceframe they can mass-produce with trained officers and things might be different. RED SQUAD RED SQUAD RED SQUAD

I like the explanation for the big difference in fleet sizes between TNG and DS9 that the Federation is really huge, and that while 40 ships might be all they can throw together with a few days' notice, they can get a few thousand ships together with months of strategic redeployment. If you take the stars they mention as being within Federation territory you do get a really big volume of space. If each member world contributes even 10 ships you'd have 1500 starships at any given time.

We never get fleet numbers but Shelby implies that Starfleet manufactures more than 40 ships a year in peacetime, indicating a total fleet of around 1600 ships as of 2365, many more if ships are kept operating past a 30 year lifetime. In DS9 the entire 7th fleet is 112 ships and they are almost all lost. Also in DS9 the 2nd and 5th fleets are more than 600 ships together. DS9 suggests that at least 50 Defiant-class ships were produced over 2 years and that's just a single class of ships.

By 2373 it would make sense to launch a Galaxy class with as small a crew as possible. In 2363 maybe they just did it because the Galaxy class was too big, developed for a mission profile that wasn't as workable as its designers believed, and spent a lot of time ferrying stuff from one place to another. Why bother having a crew of 10,000 if you only use a fraction of the ship's capabilities?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
We never needed a crew before ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I saw "Message in a Bottle" the other day and the EMH-2 said that only 4 people knew how to operate the Prometheus. That seems... low?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Arglebargle III posted:

By 2373 it would make sense to launch a Galaxy class with as small a crew as possible. In 2363 maybe they just did it because the Galaxy class was too big, developed for a mission profile that wasn't as workable as its designers believed, and spent a lot of time ferrying stuff from one place to another. Why bother having a crew of 10,000 if you only use a fraction of the ship's capabilities?

The ~1k figure was the one used during TNG. I want to say the earliest mention is season 4's Remember Me, but I could be mistaken.

spincube posted:

That seems almost nightmarishly low, for a ship the size of the Galaxy-class: I could totally understand the 1000 being a mixture of 'operations crew' and labcoat-wearing microscope-using Starfleet eggheads posted to the ship, with the rest of the accommodation filled with civilians to stop everyone getting all Space Madness.

Just 1,000 people on board is a hell of a lot of open space, even accounting for storage and unfinished decks; miles upon miles of pot plants, beige/pastel upholstery as far as the eye can see.

I figure there's just huge swathes of the ship people rarely go to.

MisterBibs posted:

When it comes to crewing, I remember reading that the designers of the D assumed it'd have an operational crew of something like 10k, but Gene bitched and demanded it be cut down to ~1000.

Pretty sure the original intended complement as envisioned by Andrew Probert was around six thousand people, with room for up to 10k more if necessary (e.g. evacuation, rescue, troop transport, etc). There's still a shitload of space per person, but now you can also spend space on big communal areas that make more sense now that there are several thousand people on the ship that can congregate in an area.

Some parts of the ship are also intended to not really be full of people. The computer cores alone are pretty goddamn huge, the deuterium tank takes up a big chunk of the stardrive section, who knows how much volume the cargo bays take up. Oh and the cetacean tanks probably take up a lot of space too.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

So if anyone was getting excited for The Orville, the first reviews began trickling out today and so far the reaction has been "holy poo poo, this is bad."

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Oh anyway that said:

Arglebargle III posted:

I like the explanation for the big difference in fleet sizes between TNG and DS9 that the Federation is really huge, and that while 40 ships might be all they can throw together with a few days' notice, they can get a few thousand ships together with months of strategic redeployment. If you take the stars they mention as being within Federation territory you do get a really big volume of space. If each member world contributes even 10 ships you'd have 1500 starships at any given time.

This is also supported by TNG Redemption. Picard wants to scramble a fleet out to the Klingon/Romulan border, and given a deadline of only a few days he's forced to yank ships out of the local spacedock early and still only manages to scrape together about twenty ships.

It's actually a really good detail because space is supposed to be huge even for FTL starships and the Federation especially in TNG is supposed to cover a vast volume.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I think the TNG tech manual puts the maximum capacity of the ship at like 52,000.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Timby posted:

So if anyone was getting excited for The Orville, the first reviews began trickling out today and so far the reaction has been "holy poo poo, this is bad."

Yeah but the review was "Where's All the jokes?" and "Why is there a sweeping orchestral score?" "this is preachy and somber" Which both sounds like good things to me.

I've only seen the one, were there others?

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Sep 5, 2017

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Timby posted:

More like "holy poo poo, this is bad! Why are there no dead baby jokes and bonerfarts?!"

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

After being explicitly told that it wasn't going to be Family Guy :lol:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Arglebargle III posted:

I think the TNG tech manual puts the maximum capacity of the ship at like 52,000.

No way. I'm certain the TNG tech manual doesn't list it that high.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Well it's certainly big enough.

That's like the refugee shelter figure with cargo and shuttle bays converted to temporary living space.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The review was pretty clearly saying "you want Bonerfart: Space Adventure? Too bad, it isn't that funny. Thought it was going to be Star Trek: The Next Generation 2? Surprise, it isn't that either. Get ready for something that feels like Trek Parody featuring Remakes of Plots and Tropes."

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It reads to me like "The series tries to be serious but Seth Macfarlane isn't allowed to be serious." And it seems to both say it isn't a parody and that it is one and these serious topics deserve to not be in a parody.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Timby posted:

From the man who brought us One Million Ways to Die? Who would have thought?!

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Delsaber posted:

The McLaughlin Nook

We all know no one listens to Star Trek podcasts. What this joke presupposes is ... maybe they do?

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Sash! posted:

The review was pretty clearly saying "you want Bonerfart: Space Adventure? Too bad, it isn't that funny. Thought it was going to be Star Trek: The Next Generation 2? Surprise, it isn't that either. Get ready for something that feels like Trek Parody featuring Remakes of Plots and Tropes."

I know how much of a tool I sound like, but if a plot or a trope is remade well then I'm not too worried about it. The way media's been going for the last decade or so I think audiences can predict where plots and characters are headed long before it happens. So there's a creeping worry that unless something's really innovative or off-the-wall or there's a shocking twist or if they don't bring something new to the table then no one will watch it. Like, a show has to go out of it's way to impress you instead of just trying to entertain you like it normally would have. You don't have to go very far on the internet to find people complaining about how something new is just like something old, so it's invalidated. I think people are becoming addicted to variation in their mediums, to the point that the variation is more important than the product.

I'm not going to turn down a delicious cake because it's the exact same cake I've eaten before, as long as you don't gently caress up the cooking process.

Which brings us back to replicators

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

MillennialVulcan posted:

We all know no one listens to Star Trek podcasts. What this joke presupposes is ... maybe they do?

Issue One:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CPColin posted:

Issue One:

:wrong:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Time thought it was promising and fun

Time posted:

This overstuffed and perhaps overambitious hour was created by and stars Family Guy mastermind Seth MacFarlane and yet plays it entirely straight. Indeed, the series, an overt homage to the original Star Trek, has far fewer out-and-out jokes than one might expect, instead relying on a general tone of zany adventurousness to earn your attention. Though far from perfect in its early going, the show’s fun, sunny energy could win over fans of classic sci-fi and those who vibe with MacFarlane’s geekier, less nihilistic impulses.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've been really excited for it because I know what a big fan of Star Trek Macfarlane is, and the Star Trek jokes on his shows tended to be pretty funny(the b-plot with the cast of TNG in Not All Dogs Go To Heaven was loving amazing, despite the a-plot being Family Guy's nadir).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

vermin posted:

I know how much of a tool I sound like, but if a plot or a trope is remade well then I'm not too worried about it.

I hear you. Honestly, I really wouldn't mind seeing some of the early TNG plots recycled; I think there were some good ideas in there that could really shine if done well, and it's been long enough that oh no who cares if you recycled a 30 year old plot point?

Contrast with Voyager ripping off A Matter of Perspective wholesale (which was itself just Rashomon in space) a mere, what, seven or eight years afterward?