Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

just had a situation where me and a guy both killed each other with punches at the same time. really strange. i thought that wasn't a thing?

that is and probably always will be a thing in every online game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider

Shayl posted:

This has been my experience but I figure I'll just persevere. My only problem is it scares the poo poo out of my every time I die so sometimes I need to just land where nobody is and have a chill game.

you gotta get real fuckin stinky in pochinki man

you can't wait for someone else to hand you a chicken dinner

have to cook that poo poo yourself.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Roki B posted:

My group and I last night discovered that there are multiple levels of getting stinky. Normally we will land on the north eastern outskirts near the garage and surrounding buildings. This is typical stinkyness. Or, you can drop into the middle of goddamn town and be maximum stinky. The former gives you the benefit of probably not having to worry about anything but your west and south, the latter you probably need to worry about everything and it can get pretty loving stinky.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

hawowanlawow posted:

that is and probably always will be a thing in every online game

lots of games will go 'no, you were actually dead during that attack, it didn't happen'. not saying that happens here, obviously, but it exists.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I think my mid-game is pretty bad at the moment. I'm pretty happy with being agressive at the start and blasting lootgoblins and if I make it to the top 10 then I always figure I have a chance. But I just don't know what the gently caress to do in between - I've been trying to be more agressive and hunt people down, but it just seems to end up with me getting sniped. Guess I need to get smarter at moving around.

Shayl
Apr 11, 2007

Roki B posted:

you can't wait for someone else to hand you a chicken dinner

have to cook that poo poo yourself.

OH ya I don't expect to get good or even win by dropping into an empty place and looting for 20 minutes. I just like to do it for some reason sometimes because then I only get the poo poo scared out of me in small bursts. I usually start my night in school or pochinki and then when I need to chill I drop into nowhereville.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

lots of games will go 'no, you were actually dead during that attack, it didn't happen'. not saying that happens here, obviously, but it exists.

Projectiles seem to do zero damage if they hit after the shooter has been killed. I got shot with a crossbow in the shoulder at the start as I killed the dude that fired it at me. It did zero damage but I had it stuck in my shoulder for the rest of the game.

Maybe melee attacks are different ?

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

Even though you died first your ragdoll still has weight to it so when it hits the other player in the face it's enough to kill that player as well.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

gmq posted:

I feel it's really hard to practice aiming in this game considering that even the shortest cycle between games is at least 5-10 minutes (queue, wait for a minute, fly and land, find a weapon, get shot).

I just bought this game, but I wish there was a deathmatch arena to practice shooting guns at moving people (sort of like the beginning of the game!). Hell, even booting up a small area with some dumb bots running around. I just want to know what it feels like to consistently aim, shoot, and kill a bunch of people. I was using a 4x scope yesterday and I thought I was on target but found myself missing a lot more than hitting.

Blood is the only identifier on whether or not your shot hit correct? If you hit, blood will spew out?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

just had a situation where me and a guy both killed each other with punches at the same time. really strange. i thought that wasn't a thing?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFtHa4nj1SI&t=7s

mashed_penguin posted:

Projectiles seem to do zero damage if they hit after the shooter has been killed. I got shot with a crossbow in the shoulder at the start as I killed the dude that fired it at me. It did zero damage but I had it stuck in my shoulder for the rest of the game.

Maybe melee attacks are different ?

I can say for sure that grenades work after death.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I just bought this game, but I wish there was a deathmatch arena to practice shooting guns at moving people (sort of like the beginning of the game!). Hell, even booting up a small area with some dumb bots running around. I just want to know what it feels like to consistently aim, shoot, and kill a bunch of people. I was using a 4x scope yesterday and I thought I was on target but found myself missing a lot more than hitting.

Blood is the only identifier on whether or not your shot hit correct? If you hit, blood will spew out?

Yes, except I think for the crossbow. Or another good indicator would be "knocked out/killed" messages as well, but obviously not every hit is a kill :p

Also, you do have to lead and account for bullet drop in this game. So at distances larger than 100m most guns will require a bit of adjustment vertically/horizontally depending on your targets motion (if any).

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

wolrah posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFtHa4nj1SI&t=7s

I can say for sure that grenades work after death.

The best justice in this game is when you get killed mid grenade throw and then kill the dude looting your corpse from beyond the grave.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I gave up after falling off the prison roof and not finding a gun, but I did find a grenade I decided to hold primed as someone decided to come punch me.

Suicide bombing doesn't result in a kill, I guess (as far as the message is concerned I guess, that guy knows how he died)

Tweak fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Sep 5, 2017

Shayl
Apr 11, 2007

I was gonna try to talk about netcode and why sometimes you think they should die/you shouldn't die when you do/they don't. But I really don't know enough about it to talk about it other than the server decides and its different sometimes than what you see on your screen...and all games handle it slightly differently.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Tweak posted:

I gave up after falling off the prison roof and not finding a gun, but I did find a grenade I decided to hold primed as someone decided to come punch me.

Suicide bombing doesn't result in a kill, I guess (as far as the message is concerned I guess, that guy knows how he died)

What did the game say he died of?

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
A broken heart.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Lladre posted:

What did the game say he died of?

Hah I noticed I didn't get the message that I got 1 kill in red, but forgot to go back and check the kill feed (since I shadow played it). Just a random frag thrown by no one, apparently:

Tweak fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Sep 5, 2017

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
At least three people died between him killing you and the grenade going off.
Was a chaotic second or the dummy thought looting an unarmed naked person was the smart thign to do.

Bobbin Threadbear
May 6, 2007

never seen this before

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Killed some dude so hard he got two kills, drat.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

drat I just had my spiciest game yet, 8 kills and finished in #2, I can't remember the last time I actually got an adrenaline rush from a game.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

It does that all the time, it's like the "killed a guy event fires, it displays the message, then the message gets updated with the appropriate count" I've briefly seen "0 kill" messages that way at the start of a round.

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized

Did you kill summit too?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Lladre posted:

At least three people died between him killing you and the grenade going off.
Wasn't it 80 people left at his death?

Or does it wipe the list?

Bobbin Threadbear
May 6, 2007

No Safe Word posted:

It does that all the time, it's like the "killed a guy event fires, it displays the message, then the message gets updated with the appropriate count" I've briefly seen "0 kill" messages that way at the start of a round.
I didn't even notice the kill count text.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
I just picked up this game yesterday and it's pretty fun so far. I'm glad I had a friend to duo queue with otherwise I'd be completely lost (literally and figuratively).

One thing I hope they add in the future is binoculars. Having to fight red dot versus 4x or 8x is no fun but at least if you can spot people you can position yourself better and give yourself a chance.

I saw there's a discord link in the OP, is that still the place to go to find people to play with?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

OGS-Remix posted:

I saw there's a discord link in the OP, is that still the place to go to find people to play with?

Yep, get in our dumbass chat room.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

OGS-Remix posted:

One thing I hope they add in the future is binoculars. Having to fight red dot versus 4x or 8x is no fun but at least if you can spot people you can position yourself better and give yourself a chance.

I really hope they add binoculars as well. There have been many times when I want to check out a town before getting close. It would be nice if they added a rangefinder as well although I could that being a rare spawn.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

OGS-Remix posted:

I just picked up this game yesterday and it's pretty fun so far. I'm glad I had a friend to duo queue with otherwise I'd be completely lost (literally and figuratively).

Binoculars aren't going to change your odds in that situation much, eventually you'll get more comfortable with using sound to locate shots and it'll be just as effective as what you're looking for. Positioning yourself to not be in long distance fights with a red dot helps as well. Learn to use freelook the moment you hear shots to pinpoint their location. Even if you're in a house when you hear a shot, move the camera around. Watch a video of gun sounds by distance too; being able to tell the difference between gun types as well as 100m vs 400m is super important

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Rangefinders that drop from care packages as an auxiliary item and go into your pistol slot could have a place in the game, I think

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

this happens with punches and the crossbow

not sure what happens if the last two guys kill each other on the same tick. winner determined alphabetically maybe?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Parallel Playa posted:

Rangefinders that drop from care packages as an auxiliary item and go into your pistol slot could have a place in the game, I think

what about an 8x that shows the distance of the target when zoomed in

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Or how about the ability to look through a scope even if you don't have a gun for it?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

gmq posted:

I feel it's really hard to practice aiming in this game considering that even the shortest cycle between games is at least 5-10 minutes (queue, wait for a minute, fly and land, find a weapon, get shot).

It's really inexcusable considering they want this to be an esport but don't give you a way to efficiently practice

And no dropping at the school doesn't count with all of the lag and loading issues at the start

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

B-b-b-buh you just have to drop at school repeatedly and you'll always be amazing!

Never mind the fact that the school's type of combat all takes place at less than 20m with lots of hard cover, unlike the other 90% of the game.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
oh boy we're back to the how dare this early access game be unfinished part of the thread

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

aniviron posted:

B-b-b-buh you just have to drop at school repeatedly and you'll always be amazing!

Never mind the fact that the school's type of combat all takes place at less than 20m with lots of hard cover, unlike the other 90% of the game.

Baby steps my friend, once you're able to use the pistols/shotguns/uzi you'll get to play sniper with all the stuff leftover to you, the victor

(ps the end game is usually pretty close too!)

Shayl
Apr 11, 2007

I was like "I'm gonna land in school and try my luck there!" *super scared, falling towards it, thinking about how hosed I am*

Husband sneaks up behind me and scares the poo poo out of me and then I land and get punched to death while missing someone over and over with a pistol.

(I was also recording with shadowplay and you can hear me shriek but its a bit ear-piercing to share here)

Good times.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Why are threadposters so indignant about being bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Anyone got recommended sensitivity settings for the granular poo poo? I'm happy with my general sens, but I think I can probably gently caress the rest into something more useful.

• Locked thread