Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
I decided yesterday to do a photoshoot for my car, but i f'ed up a camera setting on my SLR and everything looked great on the view screen but once on the computer, everything looked washed out.
ugggg.

This one kinda came out ok. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Were you shooting raw? Should be recoverable if you were.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

ilkhan posted:

Were you shooting raw? Should be recoverable if you were.

I always shoot raw, but I think, I had accidentally selected one of those auto VIVID/Sepia/Natural settings turned on instead of manual.
The sunlight was super heavy too, it wasn't doing me any favors. I just picked a bad time and f'ed up user settings .
I messed around with color,tone,contrast,shadows/highlights, and vibrance. The pics just did not come out nice. I will have to try again.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

kalvick posted:

I always shoot raw, but I think, I had accidentally selected one of those auto VIVID/Sepia/Natural settings turned on instead of manual.
The sunlight was super heavy too, it wasn't doing me any favors. I just picked a bad time and f'ed up user settings .
I messed around with color,tone,contrast,shadows/highlights, and vibrance. The pics just did not come out nice. I will have to try again.

Next time make sure there are no signs or trees growing out of your car as well.

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Before I bought my mustang, we were discussing acceleration vs. gas economy when discussing which gear ratio to get. Someone comment that unless I had a lot of twisty hilly roads, racing was the only fun I'd get out of it (or something to that effect).

Let me introduce you to the Eastern Highland Rim which runs east of Nashville between the Nashville basin and the Cumberland Plateau. And, yes, it is just as much fun to drive as it looks.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

frozenphil posted:

Next time make sure there are no signs or trees growing out of your car as well.

yea, I am aware of that. i had 3 shots w/o the sign on back. but those pics where washed out.
ill try again next week i guess.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

kalvick posted:

yea, I am aware of that. i had 3 shots w/o the sign on back. but those pics where washed out.
ill try again next week i guess.
If you really shot raw (which I can't say without giggling), none of what you posted above should be an issue. Send me the NEF/CR2/whatever and I'll fix that shot for you. (username at gmail)

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I'm not really a photo guy, but I think it looks halfway OK with just a quick level and white point adjustment :shobon:

E: Actually, still a bit blue. Let Krakkles handle it. (oh snap!)

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
ok Krakkles sent - work your magic! TIA.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

kalvick posted:

I decided yesterday to do a photoshoot for my car, but i f'ed up a camera setting on my SLR and everything looked great on the view screen but once on the computer, everything looked washed out.
ugggg.

This one kinda came out ok. :(

kalvick posted:

ok Krakkles sent - work your magic! TIA.
So, you're kind of in a weird situation where the horizon is hard to straighten, because the car then looks ... wonky. But, here's about what I'd do:

And yeah, that sign ain't going nowhere. I took your reflection and the paint chip off, though. :D

It's a very good thing you shot this in RAW! Get Adobe Lightroom if you don't already have it - you can do most of this in Lightroom.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
Wow, that is pretty good! Thanks. The "paint chip" is actually a fly. I saw that on my computer and I was like Son of a B****, get off my car!

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

kalvick posted:

Wow, that is pretty good! Thanks. The "paint chip" is actually a fly. I saw that on my computer and I was like Son of a B****, get off my car!
Hah! I figured it couldn't really be a paint chip, you'd have to drive it to get those :D

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Left my car parked at the Miami airport Thursday, hopefully it's all right (or else I'll have to upgrade to a GT of some flavor, rough).

Saw this Mustang concept car at the Henry Ford museum today.

JQADDINGMACHINE
Jan 5, 2014

I took a video of the eaton whining, I think I need drag radials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k26ZmKuvfKg

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Would give that a thumbs up when driving past.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
No crash or pedestrians maimed? 0/10.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Am I right that I'm not even hearing any tire screeching? That's impressive.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Had a big rainy parking lot to myself today.

In hindsight I'm glad I don't do dumb poo poo without 50 yards on every side of me because drat if it didn't have a mind of its own.

So fun though.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

JQADDINGMACHINE posted:

I took a video of the eaton whining, I think I need drag radials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k26ZmKuvfKg

The Eaton supercharger sounds like a cow falling off a roof.

JQADDINGMACHINE
Jan 5, 2014

Cage posted:

Am I right that I'm not even hearing any tire screeching? That's impressive.

first and second gear it does nothing but spin, so I think you would hear it if the car wasn't so loud. If it's cool enough outside it'll spin through 3rd gear too.

Dick Burglar posted:

No crash or pedestrians maimed? 0/10.

I'll have to try harder next time.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Does anyone know what size plastic clips I need for the wheel liners on a 2015? Amazon is not helpful. Ford Service doesn't put them back in after taking them out.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

Elephanthead posted:

Does anyone know what size plastic clips I need for the wheel liners on a 2015? Amazon is not helpful. Ford Service doesn't put them back in after taking them out.

Are you talking about "ribbed push in rivet"? if so measure the hole width to get the right size push in diamater, then you can use something like a paperclip to measure the appropriate depth. You can get them at grainger.com

lmr and american muscle, can also answer questions about parts too.

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?
Since I quit social media you guys get my random shots from now on.

Unnecessary rainy day shot in my special spot in the garage(don't zoom and see how dirty it actually is) - also first shot since I moved my rear end all the way to NC.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Dinurth posted:

Since I quit social media you guys get my random shots from now on.

Unnecessary rainy day shot in my special spot in the garage(don't zoom and see how dirty it actually is) - also first shot since I moved my rear end all the way to NC.

Is this Raleigh?

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?
It is indeed!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Before I even saw NC I was like "that garage looks like the one I used to leave my car in when I'd go drinking."

That's nuts. Not mustang related, but still.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

is that the one on wilmington right by beasley's and slims? Thats the one i always park at if im doing something downtown

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?

boxcarhobo posted:

is that the one on wilmington right by beasley's and slims? Thats the one i always park at if im doing something downtown

That is in fact the one - my company pays for long term parking there (I work downtown) - it's nice to always have a guaranteed spot to park during events and what-not.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

kalvick posted:

Are you talking about "ribbed push in rivet"? if so measure the hole width to get the right size push in diamater, then you can use something like a paperclip to measure the appropriate depth. You can get them at grainger.com

lmr and american muscle, can also answer questions about parts too.

FYI two are 8.5 MM and two are 6.5 MM wide. Ford did not get the memo about parts simplification on the assembly line. I think my bumper respray guys were not diligent workers.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

Elephanthead posted:

FYI two are 8.5 MM and two are 6.5 MM wide. Ford did not get the memo about parts simplification on the assembly line. I think my bumper respray guys were not diligent workers.

try looking at dorman tech trays, they have them at Autozone (I think they are special orders, but generic versions of these things should be available)
unfortunately they dont have sized listed on them

this has all the fittings for ford products
http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-293-030-722.aspx?origin=keyword

this has all the wierd universal fittings
http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-631-030-212.aspx?origin=keyword

this is another assortment of push rivets.
http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/82_Pc_Push_Type_Retainer_Assortment_GM_Ford_Honda_p/pas8120.htm

if you have something that is
8.5mm you probabbly want a push rivet that is 5/16" by whatever long
and 6.5mm you probabbly want a push rivet that is about 1/4" by whatever long
you can clip them if they are too long.

I am guessing
http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Ford_Chrysler_Trim_Panel_Retainer_p/a17612.htm
and
http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Fascia_Splash_Shield_Retainer_GM_Ford_p/pas5935-25.htm

finally you can go to any mom/pop auto store and they could sell these thing individually for like 25c each.

Good Luck dude

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
About time to get a second set of wheels and winter tires. I've never purchased wheels before with the intent to keep them for any length of time on a car I care about, so I don't know anything about non-beater wheels. Who makes good ones?

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

Phanatic posted:

About time to get a second set of wheels and winter tires. I've never purchased wheels before with the intent to keep them for any length of time on a car I care about, so I don't know anything about non-beater wheels. Who makes good ones?

Blizzak tires for Winter and generic Steelies for wheels. Blizzak are rated for winter but if you drive them all the time into other seasons, they will wear down to all seasons.

I say generic steelies because they are all equally plain. They are round and they hold tires I dont think you need to worry about good name brand steelies.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
I have conti wintercontacts for my car and they were about 30 dollars cheaper a tire than blizzaks and perform really well.

As far as beaters go, I'd see if you can get some take offs from a base model Mustang(or any Ford with the same lugs) or something. Usually you can get used sets pretty cheaply.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Phanatic posted:

When I got my '14, I ordered a winter wheel/tire package from TireRack, and I'm been perfectly happy with the wheels. They're, you know... wheels. And they look OK.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

vote_no posted:

When I got my '14, I ordered a winter wheel/tire package from TireRack, and I'm been perfectly happy with the wheels. They're, you know... wheels. And they look OK.

That's what I was gonna do but they don't have any preset packages for mine, so it's asking me to pick a set of tires, and then a set of wheels for them, and I don't know wheel brands from orthopedic surgery and I don't want to get some lovely Chinese rim that'll break if I hit a bump.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

Phanatic posted:

That's what I was gonna do but they don't have any preset packages for mine, so it's asking me to pick a set of tires, and then a set of wheels for them, and I don't know wheel brands from orthopedic surgery and I don't want to get some lovely Chinese rim that'll break if I hit a bump.

You do not have to get the predefined winter package for you car, Just look for the cheapest wheels that fit your car, and the tires you want, and ask them to sell it to you as a package.
If they cant help, look to your local car tire shop. I am sure any of them can sell you a cheap wheel.

You have to get into the mindset that these winter wheels are gonna be crap and they are "disposable". As long as you are not doing 1/4 mile speed runs and going around corners at crazy speeds you really dont need to worry about it. These wheels and tires are designed to go slow and safe from point A to B. I mean would you want to spend $200 on a beater wheel that will at some point will get damaged? Then buy another $200 beater only for it to break again?

Also a side note --- Whatever you end up doing try to get the smallest wheel you can get that will go over the rotors and the largest sidewall you can get that will not exceed your current diameter tires.
the side wall is what will protect your car/wheels when you slide into a curb when you hit an ice patch. Skinnier tires also cut through snow and are easier to dig out.
That is if you have a P275-55-17 tire and 17" wheel, try looking for something like P245-65-16 and a 16" wheel. Skinnier tire/wheel combos are also much cheaper!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Seems like you could also get someone's cast-off factory alloys and put winter tires on those, if you don't like the idea of rolling on steelies part of the year.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Does Ford's powertrain warranty cover cooling system? I'm having a really hard time finding that out from the documentation.

I've got a 2013 V6 that's mysteriously loosing coolant. I looked for obvious drips or wet/orange spots without success, and have no clue where it's coming from, but it's bad enough that I noticed because my heater stopped working a couple days ago, at which point I replaced the missing coolant and it happily drank a gallon.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

Twerk from Home posted:

Does Ford's powertrain warranty cover cooling system? I'm having a really hard time finding that out from the documentation.

I've got a 2013 V6 that's mysteriously loosing coolant. I looked for obvious drips or wet/orange spots without success, and have no clue where it's coming from, but it's bad enough that I noticed because my heater stopped working a couple days ago, at which point I replaced the missing coolant and it happily drank a gallon.

no powertrain warranty - on radiator, coolant, hoses, coolant/heater core,

yes powertrain warranty - on inlet to water pump to thermostat housing or the outlet to the return hose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Phanatic posted:

My general rule that I tell people is that any snow tire is going to beat the poo poo out of all seasons. The cheapest ones I've tried are just a bit louder than blizzaks, they all have performed well from tirerack. Generals, contis, winterforces, all of them have been more than fine for my vehicles. Pick up what's cheap. Look at their comparison tests and read reviews for them, just like any other product you'd buy.

Wheels, you can go a lot of ways here. Cheap steelies will be durable and strong, but ugly. Cheap alloys will probably look cheap but will work. It all depends on your budget and what you care about. Any of them will work, it just depends on what you want to spend and how you want it to look. You don't hear of too many cheap wheels breaking on their own unless tracked or you hit something yuuuuuuge.

Really just go to tire rack and input your car, and say you're looking for a winter tire/wheel package. It'll give you choices, and they'll ship them to you mounted and balanced already. It's dead simple, if a bit costly.