Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Gonyo knows his poo poo so no surprise there. I wonder what, if anything, GW has planned to address the prevalence of Smite spam.

Word around the con was they're gonna limit the number of smites per turn. I heard 3/turn from multiple people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
That's pretty much the only way I can see to fix it - short of not having cheap psykers at all, or some sort of "you can't take more than 3 of the same unit" rule which probably woudln't work out very well.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Sex Cannon posted:

Word around the con was they're gonna limit the number of smites per turn. I heard 3/turn from multiple people.

Subtract 1 for every consecutive casting of the same power. Less arbitrary and opens up more psyker powers.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Subtract 1 for every consecutive casting of the same power. Less arbitrary and opens up more psyker powers.

Thats a really elegant solution to it.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I suspect that China doesn't have the capability to produce to the level of quality that GW is doing. This isn't some kind of dig at Chinese manufacturing; it's just that GW has a ridiculously niche application and they have spent literally decades perfecting every aspect of their process.

No way. At least when it comes to resin, China can put out higher quality recasts than the original models from GW.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

BULBASAUR posted:

No way. At least when it comes to resin, China can put out higher quality recasts than the original models from GW.

That's not injection molding.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
The gist of Death Guard seems to be "MORTAL WOUNDS EVERYWHERE"

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

That's not injection molding.

He said resin, but recasters do seem to be supplying actual plastics now. No clue how they make them.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Indolent Bastard posted:

He said resin, but recasters do seem to be supplying actual plastics now. No clue how they make them.

Looks like they scan the original and just accept a hit on detail and size.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
The only thing they still don't touch are vacuum formed plastics such as the realm of battle boards. From speaking with a few of them, it's less about capability and more about setup costs for a niche market. Traditional resin casting isn't an option for those due to shipping costs and material costs.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
Gw plastic is in fact plastic an not magical marine juice that only they can work with.

Other companies make fine models.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

JoshTheStampede posted:

I think he's trying to say that you shoudln't have to try new stuff or list tailor to beat it, and that ideally your take all comers list should have a chance. I cuold be wrong though.

Yeah but he seems to have missed the point that if your TAC list sucks it's going to get beaten. It's not possible or even desirable that someone throwing any old poo poo on the table should have an equal chance of winning.

berzerkmonkey posted:

Really? I could have sworn that the plastics were made in China and that they only moved in house recently... Maybe you're right and I'm just thinking about the terrain.

No the plastics have always been made in Nottingham (except in the Americas where I think they have a subsidiary plant in Mississippi or Missouri, or did?). It's one of the better things GW has done historically and frankly keeping high-tech manufacturing jobs in the UK is something they should make way more noise about.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Non-Marine psykers across the board need a point increase in general to be honest, the character special rule really makes them all roughly the same toughness at the end of the day.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

The Sex Cannon posted:

^^^This guy gets it.

So generally, for my Steel legion, I employ the Parking Lot Deployment System. It is useful for aura abilities, easy to screen and fun to have on the table. I used this during our game thinking that the infantry screen was voluminous enough to keep meltas far away. I did not know that Stealth Suits effectively ignored screens, and since he got the first turn, there was nothing I could do. In our next game, I will spread out all of my killy stuff. Think more of a [url="https:////www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3wFxuuG-y0"]Long Line of (Reasonably Spaced-Out) Cars[/url] Deployment System. The secret to winning games with IG in against elite armies (*there are exceptions to this, I'll touch on that later) is that, yeah, they might pack a punch, but they can't take out everything with their alpha. I've specifically learned last weekend that IG totally owns the later turns. So let's go with this Tau player's stuff:

4 fusion gun commanders are scary, but if my tanks are spread out far enough, then his chances of killing or combat locking enough of them are nil. Sure he'll have 3 or 4 scary guys with drones all up in my poo poo, but it's reasonable to think that I'll have more than enough lasguns to kill drones, and other poo poo to kill commanders like smite and character charges. After that it's all down to attrition, and that's the type of game where IG excels. Especially if he's drone heavy (like this guy was) because they're easy to kite. When I get a rematch against this guy, I'll let everyone know what happens!

*The best exception to this I can think of is Khorne Berzerkers. They're so good at killing outsized amounts of anything, it doesn't matter if there are fewer 'zerkers than guardsmen. That's not to say they can't be beaten, but if you're not careful with your positioning, it can go real bad, real quick.

This is essentially what happens to me when I play my AdMech. I just park everything and create a box around Cawl.

Granted, I haven't gone up against T'au yet, but when I played the Wolves player on Sunday he was trying to pry me off the last burn and pillage point that I parked my Dunecrawler on next to Cawl. He got in pretty close with some Plasma Inceptors (shooting then charging), but they died cause I just backed up and shot them to death with all the surrounding units. During deployment, I've found you definitely don't want to pack everything in super close, because it allows multi-charges.

So really my tactics are just a matter of "you might survive this round and kill some of my stuff, but that unit is most definitely dead when I start shooting next turn." I'm not totally sure how this will fare against T'au, since they can get in so close with dropping stuff in. Are they shootier than AdMech?

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
On the shooty scale, I'd say Guard have Most Guns, AdMech have Best Guns, and Tau have Most Accurate Guns. If and when you play Tau, use small arms to get rid of drones before you fire the big stuff and you'll be ok. Tau's issue is they lack staying power. Their prime targets are obvious and when you take care of them, they're donion rings. And they suck in combat, almost to a hilarious degree. The really scary Tau suits are commanders with 4 fusion guns. Pros: they can facefuck a large model to pieces in one turn. Cons: only 18" range, lose to guardsmen in combat. Another scary unit are the XV9 suits with 4 burst cannons. Pros: 16 shots each! poo poo! Cons: Pricey, not scary to vehicles, still just suits at the end of the shooting phase.

Remember, though, if you get the first turn, kill his stealthsuits and this tactic dies.

In the Apoc game at NOVA, the same dude did the same thing and took out my Shadowsword (after the Shadowsword fuckin merked a Lord of Skulls which was tight) but then his commander bomb and stealthsuits all died to a ridiculous amount of lasguns, autoguns, and smites. It was pretty rad.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Are all the decent looking Eldar units (aspect warriors, rangers etc..) finecast now or are they some other resin that isn't total poo poo? The store just says "finely detailed resin cast" which makes me think they're just shoving words between fine and cast.

If so I'll have to hit up ebay for the older metal ones I guess.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Played a 2k game vs tau. I had a brigade (Captain, jump lt, techmarine, 4 5-man tac squads, 2 5-man scouts, 5 ASM, 2 tarantulas, predator, vindicator, devastators, company vets, sternguard, contemptor, rhino, razorback)

He had coldstar, a commander, longstrike in a hammerhead, 3 more hammerheads, 6 crisis suits, 3 broadsides, riptide, 3 strike teams, marker drones

It was pretty brutal, I got shot to poo poo. I wiped all his infantry off the table but he killed everything capable of dealing with the battle suits. His riptide died early without doing anything though, and I did take out two broadsides, coldstar, and two of the hammerheads. It would've been an 11-7 win on kill points, but he won on objective. Week 6 konor, I captured 2 of the objectives but all the hammerheads were on number 3 and I wasn't able to get anything close. He had some kind of forge world hammerheads with heavy 16 guns. Company vet sergeant killed a broadside with two thunder hammer hits, which was pretty boss.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

richyp posted:

Are all the decent looking Eldar units (aspect warriors, rangers etc..) finecast now or are they some other resin that isn't total poo poo? The store just says "finely detailed resin cast" which makes me think they're just shoving words between fine and cast.

If so I'll have to hit up ebay for the older metal ones I guess.

It is resin made by gw to cast metal models not designed for it. Therefore despite any rebranding it is still finecast and poo poo.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

The Sex Cannon posted:

On the shooty scale, I'd say Guard have Most Guns, AdMech have Best Guns, and Tau have Most Accurate Guns. If and when you play Tau, use small arms to get rid of drones before you fire the big stuff and you'll be ok. Tau's issue is they lack staying power. Their prime targets are obvious and when you take care of them, they're donion rings. And they suck in combat, almost to a hilarious degree. The really scary Tau suits are commanders with 4 fusion guns. Pros: they can facefuck a large model to pieces in one turn. Cons: only 18" range, lose to guardsmen in combat. Another scary unit are the XV9 suits with 4 burst cannons. Pros: 16 shots each! poo poo! Cons: Pricey, not scary to vehicles, still just suits at the end of the shooting phase.

Remember, though, if you get the first turn, kill his stealthsuits and this tactic dies.

In the Apoc game at NOVA, the same dude did the same thing and took out my Shadowsword (after the Shadowsword fuckin merked a Lord of Skulls which was tight) but then his commander bomb and stealthsuits all died to a ridiculous amount of lasguns, autoguns, and smites. It was pretty rad.

Now I want to play against Tau and see how I do. I'll have to check the local scene and see if anyone has any.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
I was hoping people would bitch about Tau being lovely for longer. I wanted to get some cheap ebay minis.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
E: nvm

SRM fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Sep 5, 2017

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Bombogenesis posted:

Anybody played Deathwatch since 8th dropped? Curious how they're fairing. Probably gonna take mine and get stomped by my old roommates Skitarii.

DW ripped my stealers a brand new one with frag cannons, and their flyer is genuinely dangerous and effective. They're expensive per-body, sure, but they have great poo poo working in their favor.

Edit: I took some pics of a few Mek Gunz I bashed a couple years back.

Proletariat Beowulf fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Sep 6, 2017

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Blackstar surprised me the other day when I finally managed to work it into a game. Ripped several squads to pieces, smashed every other aircraft out of the sky and even when it got downed it managed to crash right on top of Typhus and kill the fucker.

Generally I'm not sure what to think of my DW. Adding the Primaris dudes is nice of course, but without access to their special re-roll tactics and the massive over-pricing of everything (And the dumb, dumb, dumb decision to keep the No Heavy Thunder Hammers for Blackshields change from 7th, despite them not doubling their attacks any more) has got me wishing for a swift codex release.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

I just bought the dark imperium box and have a question before I paint all my new space barbies: do the space marine chapters mean anything game-wise, or is it all just fluff?

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Yes, there are going to be rules for all the chapters, but you can paint them however you want because there's like dozens of successors to every chapter

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Paint them however you like. So long as you play by the rules you can claim one chapter while looking like another with most non-grognards. That said, take a look at the various chapters and their successors and see if any of them both look cool and meet your style of play.

I finally started in on painting my models to get prepped for when the full army selection drops. Here's the first 7 Poxwalkers, only 69 more to go!

Still need to decide on basing. Might go standard with some sort of toxic sludge or mud.

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Sep 6, 2017

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

The 1d4chan space marines tactics page has everything you need to know about the chapter rules but for the love of gently caress please don't go to the rest of the site

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I get a bit eye roll-y when someone with a blue army that has these big white U shapes all over it plays with White Scar rules or are suddenly Salmanders depending on the edition. But whatevs.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Geoff Zahn posted:

I've lost 99% of the games I've played over the past 18 years of gaming. I still love slamming hams because its all about hanging out with your buds and the small things, like watching perils of the warp rolls turn your plaguecaster into a suicide bomber

Same here buddy

I'm the opposite of the play2win gamer

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Space Wolves Time: I was able to identify about half the pieces in this army using the GW site, however if anyone can help out with some of the pics below, it'd be much appreciated.

Overview:

Close-ups:
Bikers

Dreads

Some sort of HQ models

Special Ops I think

Normal Terminators, or some elite squad?

Special hero dude? (mini is metal)

Squad 1

Squad 2

Squad 3

Squad 4

Once again I appreciate all the help with evaluating/pricing out this stuff. I have to admit going through this process has kind of made me nostalgic for my old 40k stuff.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

My Tyranid friend's little brother wants to get into Space Wolves

Any advice?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

goose willis posted:

Any advice?

Start Collecting box, slap him if he adds more than 1 unit of Thunderwolves.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

goose willis posted:

Any advice?

have him convert primaris boys into wulfen in a tasteful fashion and beat him if he adds anything wolfy

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Is it because there's something wrong with the wolf stuff or is it just because they're corny

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

goose willis posted:

Is it because there's something wrong with the wolf stuff or is it just because they're corny

goons really hate furries

but its also heresy

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

goose willis posted:

Yes.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Serious advice, Start Collecting then whatever the hell he feels like adding. There's no real trap options like in previous editions, go nuts.

Awuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

TheLawinator posted:

have him convert primaris boys into wulfen in a tasteful fashion and beat him if he adds anything wolfy

I would honestly want to see the final result of that. Because I think tallboy Wulfen would look neat and stand out really well.
If not kinda tempted to do it myself at some point with just a five man squad of them. All you'd really need is a decent head and maybe some clawed hands to make them look a bit like how they originally looked like.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Big McHuge posted:

Space Wolves Time: I was able to identify about half the pieces in this army using the GW site, however if anyone can help out with some of the pics below, it'd be much appreciated.

Overview:

Close-ups:
Bikers

Dreads

Some sort of HQ models

Special Ops I think

Normal Terminators, or some elite squad?

Special hero dude? (mini is metal)

Squad 1

Squad 2

Squad 3

Squad 4

Once again I appreciate all the help with evaluating/pricing out this stuff. I have to admit going through this process has kind of made me nostalgic for my old 40k stuff.

Man, these are fantastic. Honestly its 99% just new age plastics, not quite as incredible to behold/valued as the Mordians, but it's painted well.

Edit: I was wrong, some of the older 2nd ed metals are in there. Niiice.

a cock shaped fruit fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Sep 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

OptimusWang posted:

I just bought the dark imperium box and have a question before I paint all my new space barbies: do the space marine chapters mean anything game-wise, or is it all just fluff?

Come over to the goon painting challenge thread and we'll roll you up a chapter you can then stick whatever rules on you like.