Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

trogdon the storminator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Jaguars! posted:

On a more mundane note, turns out that the finance minister of NZ wasn't very good at economics.

It's all starting to add up and the fall of the current government and a shift leftward is starting to look reasonably likely.

Just thought you might like to know.

Lmao

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

FAUXTON posted:

trogdon the storminator

https://youtu.be/yDqwlAU2QYs

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Not a single word about mountains.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

cowboy elvis posted:

Not a single word about mountains.

"This too can be solved by a wall!" - Trump

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

So basically Godzilla in Hurricane form?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I hope Donnie keeps screaming about his wall while thousands of people who voted for him end up homeless due to storms and botched federal response. Of course they're probably stupid and xenophobic enough for that to continue working on them. The Mexicans surely want to come up here to steal the rubble that used to be your house out from under your butt.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://twitter.com/cityofmiami/status/905185163558223872

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Casimir Radon posted:

I hope Donnie keeps screaming about his wall while thousands of people who voted for him end up homeless due to storms and botched federal response. Of course they're probably stupid and xenophobic enough for that to continue working on them. The Mexicans surely want to come up here to steal the rubble that used to be your house out from under your butt.

i actually hope that all of those people die.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
I want off mother nature's wild ride

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Kawasaki Nun posted:

I want off mother nature's wild ride

sorry we are stuck in

GEOSTORM

edit: guy who live streamed the last hurricane isnt doing it this time, too dangerous

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1yoKMpVdZjpxQ

Hot Karl Marx fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Sep 6, 2017

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

CommieGIR posted:

Its as big as the state of Ohio. Its not a tornado, mountains are going to be practically invisible to it. You are the only one pushing this, every meteorological service is saying it will have NO problem crossing the mountains. Its going to hit those insignificant mountains, and suck up warm water from the other side of them.

Hurricanes are a HIGH level system, reaching up to 50,000 feet. You've mixed up tornadoes and hurricanes.

NOAA, NWS, and everyone else says be worried. You are the only one saying this. Thank God Euro and all those others have you to override their models and predictions.

For example: When Hurricane Morakot crossed the Taiwanese mountains, it went from 92 MPH to 46, but Taiwains highest peak is 12,900 feet. Cuba's highest mountain is 6,500 feet.

That's not going to put a dent in Irma's near 200 MPH winds.

From the NHC's very own glossary:

Tropical Cyclone:
A warm-core non-frontal synoptic-scale cyclone, originating over tropical or subtropical waters, with organized deep convection and a closed surface wind circulation about a well-defined center. Once formed, a tropical cyclone is maintained by the extraction of heat energy from the ocean at high temperature and heat export at the low temperatures of the upper troposphere. In this they differ from extratropical cyclones, which derive their energy from horizontal temperature contrasts in the atmosphere (baroclinic effects).

Tropical Cyclones are a warm core low level feature.

If you had any loving clue how they work, you would understand this. But you don't.

Mountains disrupt the low level circulation and block the intake mechanism. Tropical cyclones operate on an intake at the surface around a surface low pressure system. It vents through the top of the storm. Looks and works like this:

And since I feel like piling on....

Google history of storms that have ran across those islands. Hurricane David for example:

David is a prime example of what happens when a low level circulation runs across mountains. It gets ripped the gently caress apart.

Oh hey. The loving Weather Channel did a story on 7 storms besides Erika that were ripped apart by Hispaniola alone....

Lets take a look at those mountains...

Cuba: Piqo Turquino - 6,476ft.

Before Irma reaches the vicinity of Cuba if it doesn't turn north and gets out of range....
Puerto Rico: Cerro de Punta - 4,390
Hispaniola: Pico Duarte - 10,164

The 5 tallest peeks are on the island of Hispaniola. All over 7400 feet. Which, as history has shown, is tall enough to disrupt the low level center of circulation and intake mechanics.

Here is a bigger list.

Oh hey.. Lets talk about those models. The GFS, which is a traditionally well regarded model spent the last 3 runs shifting east. So much so that as of the 18z run, it doesn't even make landfall on the Florida coast. Its also currently initializing better than the Euro.

Again. People who live in Florida should have basic readiness done. They should have topped off gas tanks today, and if you live in the Keys, begun evacuation procedures. But making GBS threads your pants and dialing panic to 11 is loving stupid. Its now 4 days out, which is plenty of time for things to change. Drastically. If Irma passes as close to the islands as the Euro shows, its not going to maintain Cat 4/5. It will be able to restrengthen in the very warm waters of the Gulf Stream/Straits of Florida. But unlikely to hit the numbers the models are putting out. It also faces potential steering changes due to the different intensity. If it moves farther north of the islands, it could maintain Cat 4/5 but becomes more likely to recurve/remain OTS/head north into the Carolinas(the current GFS solution).

Decisions to evacuate areas on the main peninsula won't need to be made until late Thursday at the earliest. By 12z Saturday its still well off the coast on the GFS and its vacationing in Cuba at the same point on the Euro. Time. There is a lot of it, and things can drastically change in that time.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I called my mum and dad and told them i loved them and to be safe. :smith:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6BYzLIqKB8

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Genocide Tendency posted:

Tropical Cyclone:
A warm-core non-frontal synoptic-scale cyclone, originating over tropical or subtropical waters, with organized deep convection and a closed surface wind circulation about a well-defined center. Once formed, a tropical cyclone is maintained by the extraction of heat energy from the ocean at high temperature and heat export at the low temperatures of the upper troposphere. In this they differ from extratropical cyclones, which derive their energy from horizontal temperature contrasts in the atmosphere (baroclinic effects).

If you had any loving clue how they work, you would understand this. But you don't.

Mountains disrupt the low level circulation and block the intake mechanism. Tropical cyclones operate on an intake at the surface around a surface low pressure system. It vents through the top of the storm. Looks and works like this:

Google history of storms that have ran across those islands. Hurricane David for example:

David is a prime example of what happens when a low level circulation runs across mountains. It gets ripped the gently caress apart.

Oh hey. The loving Weather Channel did a story on 7 storms besides Erika that were ripped apart by Hispaniola alone....

Before Irma reaches the vicinity of Cuba if it doesn't turn north and gets out of range....

The 5 tallest peeks are on the island of Hispaniola. All over 7400 feet. Which, as history has shown, is tall enough to disrupt the low level center of circulation and intake mechanics.

Here is a bigger list.

Oh hey.. Lets talk about those models. The GFS, which is a traditionally well regarded model spent the last 3 runs shifting east. So much so that as of the 18z run, it doesn't even make landfall on the Florida coast. Its also currently initializing better than the Euro.

Again. People who live in Florida should have basic readiness done. They should have topped off gas tanks today, and if you live in the Keys, begun evacuation procedures. But making GBS threads your pants and dialing panic to 11 is loving stupid. Its now 4 days out, which is plenty of time for things to change. Drastically. If Irma passes as close to the islands as the Euro shows, its not going to maintain Cat 4/5. It will be able to restrengthen in the very warm waters of the Gulf Stream/Straits of Florida. But unlikely to hit the numbers the models are putting out. It also faces potential steering changes due to the different intensity. If it moves farther north of the islands, it could maintain Cat 4/5 but becomes more likely to recurve/remain OTS/head north into the Carolinas(the current GFS solution).

Decisions to evacuate areas on the main peninsula won't need to be made until late Thursday at the earliest. By 12z Saturday its still well off the coast on the GFS and its vacationing in Cuba at the same point on the Euro. Time. There is a lot of it, and things can drastically change in that time.

Again: Everybody is saying to be worried, and you are the only one saying "don't worry, the mountains will save you!"

Whatever dude. That's zero reason to suggest that there isn't reason to assume there's going to be a bad hit to Florida. You are the only one doubting this.

Oh, and that Weather Channel overview? Every single storm that was 'ripped apart' regained most of its original strength after passing over, or did you completely ignore the actual article in favor of something that simply acknowledged your savior fetish for the Cuban mountain range?

Oh, and even with current estimates: Irma is going to GLAZE Cuba, not pass over it. And it still remains the strongest hurricane on record for the area, so not really worth your hand waving dismissal about how it'll just disintegrate and only the Keys are at risk.

There is ONE model that shows a path OVER the mountain range and Cuba. Better hope it takes that one so your estimate can come true.

But it doesn't matter. The oceans are warmer, the storm is even stronger, and there's little reason to believe its going to disintegrate in the keys.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Sep 6, 2017

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

Hot Karl Marx posted:

sorry we are stuck in

GEOSTORM

this looks absolutely batshit insane and awful and i'm definitely going to pay money to watch it

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

None of this is accurate because it was before global warming. It is going to be much much worse now.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I think Gen Ten is onto something with the mountain ranges though

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Don't worry, we got known smart person Rush Limbaugh to explain Irma to us

https://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2017/09/05/my-analysis-of-the-hurricane-irma-panic/

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Hot Karl Marx posted:

https://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2017/09/05/my-analysis-of-the-hurricane-irma-panic/
what's the tl;dr here because that is a massive wall of nonsense

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/RyanMaue/status/905227712708702208

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
we just need to build giant mountains around the US

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Got six gallons of water, 2 jars of peanut butter, jelly, crackers, bread, case of corona, 2x bottle of red wine, beef jerky, 3x boxes protein bars, soups and dog food

Allah akbar

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

the thing about miami is this could've been a press release for the last like 35 loving years

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Hot Karl Marx posted:

sorry we are stuck in

GEOSTORM

:stare:

I'm torn between hating this and loving it.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

shyduck posted:

from my quick glancing it seems he thinks global warming is fake and this hurricane is just a media storm to support the global warming conspiracy
also

quote:

I’ve lived here since 1997, and I have developed a system that I trust, my own analysis of the data. And I’m not a meteorologist. I’m not gonna tell you what mine is because I don’t want to be misinterpreted as giving you a forecast. Well, I’m tempted to, though, because I’ve been exactly right since last Friday. I am tempted to tell you. ‘Cause I had people asking me back then. I’m tempted to tell you. But my better judgment says don’t go there.

edit: this too lol

quote:

You could be a sitting duck tonight or tomorrow depending on what they do with the track. This is another thing. At the current speed, we know the day is Sunday. Saturday night, Sunday morning, we know that. Unless something happens to slow it down like happened with Harvey. Once it came to shore, it stopped and that’s why Houston flooded. And nobody predicted it. Well, they did predict it was gonna stop. The models did predict that once it came ashore it was gonna stop for a while. They knew that.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

shyduck posted:

liberals did it

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Hot Karl Marx posted:

I will never understand how republicans think everything is a conspiracy by Big (Thing) while at the same time relentlessly defending Big (Thing)'s right to pay as little taxes and have as little regulation as possible in defense of The Free Market. Conservatives are incapable of sympathy for the plight of others, but when it affects them personally it's a unique case and when it's an act of God or Nature they make up a boogeyman.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

M_Gargantua posted:

liberals did it

and the Deep State. Don't forget them.

edit:

"An Idiot" posted:

"Folks, the hurricane doesn’t even need to strike land. The hurricane doesn’t even need to hit in order to for the agenda to be advanced. All they have to do is create the panic and then show you that graphic of this giant red blob that, “Oh, my God, is gonna eat the country, you see this thing, is horrible, Mabel, look at how big…” And they create the fear and panic after they’ve already told everybody climate change is responsible for these bigger and more frequent storms." -

Also went on a big thing about how people are stupid for buying bottled water instead of getting storage containers and filling it from the tap. Which is kind of fair.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Sep 6, 2017

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
people like rush limbaugh make me almost hope that Irma wrecks florida

it won't make a difference though. Irma could make Florida literally disappear off the map and Jose could come up right behind it barreling towards Houston as a cat 5 a week later and they would still say the same bullshit.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

quote:

Now, my theory — and it’s only a theory — is that because of the biases, because of the politicization of everything, because you have people in all of these government areas who believe man is causing climate change, and they’re hell-bent on proving it, they’re hell-bent on demonstrating it, they’re hell-bent on persuading people of it. So here comes a hurricane that’s 10 to 12 days out and here come the initial model runs, and if it’s close — sometimes it’s not close, sometimes the hurricane will turn to the north out in the mid-Atlantic and there’s no way you can fake that. But if, if they are going to approach a hit on the U.S., you will note that early tracks always have them impacting a major population center.
wow it's almost as if the east coast has a lot of residents

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Waroduce posted:

Got six gallons of water, 2 jars of peanut butter, jelly, crackers, bread, case of corona, 2x bottle of red wine, beef jerky, 3x boxes protein bars, soups and dog food

Allah akbar

What are you going to do after the weekend though?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

shyduck posted:

the article doesn't make much sense either

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Dead Reckoning posted:

I'm still down with the death penalty. Like, I get that we aren't supposed to hold minors to the same standard of accountability as adults, but if you burn down a priceless natural landmark doing something that is a prime example of "do not do this thing, there are PSAs everywhere telling you not to do this thing" and you are clearly old enough to know better, I feel like the principle of demonstrating denunciation and opprobrium of such incredibly dangerous, costly, anti-social actions overrides that.

Eh, unless they take action against his license, he will probably be able to find another job. I'm pretty sure there are employed Paramedics with prior DUIs out there.

I'm pretty sure they're the only medical transport in the area. I think Ogden and Park City have their own smaller operations, but otherwise that's it.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I never thought I'd thought I'd use the phrase "Irma ends up blowing Florida"...But that's kind of what it looks like.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
if this is the earth saying gently caress humans, it is only appropriate that tropical storm/hurricane jose wreck washington D.C. i think

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I love you guys but how many of you just willingly read something Rush Limbaugh wrote?

I mean weren't burn pits safer for the brain?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I love you guys but how many of you just willingly read something Rush Limbaugh wrote?

I mean weren't burn pits safer for the brain?

Huffing fumes from a burn pit would get you high before they killed you. Exposure to Limbaugh would just kill you.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Tropical Cyclone:

Here is a bigger list.

Every one of those storms except David were a Cat 2 or weaker. One wasn't even a hurricane. And David killed thousands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Maybe Irma will kill Limbaugh :unsmith:

• Locked thread