Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

ineptmule posted:

Gin is a pretty ballsy spirit to shot and I'm not surprised it wrecked you. In the other drinking episodes that you allude to, what were you consuming?

When I say shots, I meant that purely in terms of the amount. I wasn't drinking them as shots, I mixed them with a lot of lemonade. I've learned to stay well clear of wine, cause the hangovers from that are soul destroying. Vodka is usually good to me, especially if I stick to it the entire night. Hangovers aren't too awful as long as I don't overdo it, but I still feel like I get worse hangovers than my friends. Beer is alright too, and because it's so gassy it typically prevents me from going overboard, but if I do have a bit too much, hangovers are around the same level of terrible as wine's are. I don't drink whisky, and rarely have tequila (I like it, but just don't see it much).

I feel like I've just drawn the genetic shortstraw and am really susceptible to negative effects of alcohol? It's why I hate drinking, cause I'm not gonna go out Friday night after a long week, only to spend most of my weekend downtime being stuck in bed feeling like I'm dying. People say you can build up a tolerance to alcohol, but that's made me skeptical. How are you gonna help build tolerance towards hangovers if you drink more often?

Baron Porkface posted:

How do i clean a pillow?

Read the label, if there's one on it. Should tell you what temp to wash at. Don't tumbledry it, I did that with mine and it caused all the stuffing to clump together. If I could go back, I'd just dry em out in the sunshine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

My bedroom is in a basement like a proper goonlord, and crickets keep getting in the window wells and driving me nuts. I can't sleep, I can't think. Sometimes I literally lose hours of sleep at night because of their loving chirping. How do I scorch them from the earth and make sure they never show up again? What kind of poison would work fast and last if I put it down there? Should I put a mesh over the wells? Any ideas are welcome these things are literally affecting my sanity at this point.

Can you open the window to get in the well? Borax is a long-term game, but a can of RAID sprayed generously has always worked for me to quiet them down.

I get crickets in my office and I find the bug bomb (pull the trigger, set it inside, close the door, wait 12 hours, then ventilate) leaves me cricket free for a year or so. I don't know if it would work in the great outdoors but I would think it'd work in a window well. Also wouldn't hurt to bugbomb your gooncave.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

spog posted:

Stick it in a washing machine?

Just make sure you thoroughly dry it.

Its a bunch of feather stuff put in a cloth and sewn by my mom i dont know if putting it in the wash will tear it apart.

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Sep 4, 2017

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Baron Porkface posted:

Its a bunch of feather stuff put in a cloth and sewn by my mom i dont know if putting it in the wash will tear it apart.

Stick in the bath tub and tread it like it was a bunch of grapes you are turning into a nice wine.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Q8ee posted:

When I say shots, I meant that purely in terms of the amount. I wasn't drinking them as shots, I mixed them with a lot of lemonade. I've learned to stay well clear of wine, cause the hangovers from that are soul destroying. Vodka is usually good to me, especially if I stick to it the entire night. Hangovers aren't too awful as long as I don't overdo it, but I still feel like I get worse hangovers than my friends. Beer is alright too, and because it's so gassy it typically prevents me from going overboard, but if I do have a bit too much, hangovers are around the same level of terrible as wine's are. I don't drink whisky, and rarely have tequila (I like it, but just don't see it much).

I feel like I've just drawn the genetic shortstraw and am really susceptible to negative effects of alcohol? It's why I hate drinking, cause I'm not gonna go out Friday night after a long week, only to spend most of my weekend downtime being stuck in bed feeling like I'm dying. People say you can build up a tolerance to alcohol, but that's made me skeptical. How are you gonna help build tolerance towards hangovers if you drink more often?

Read the label, if there's one on it. Should tell you what temp to wash at. Don't tumbledry it, I did that with mine and it caused all the stuffing to clump together. If I could go back, I'd just dry em out in the sunshine.

Yeah some people just get hit like a Mack truck by hangovers. Find your limit and stay under it; 7 or 8 shots (worth) is a lot of alcohol so you aren't that far from normal.
Is

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

spog posted:

Stick in the bath tub and tread it like it was a bunch of grapes you are turning into a nice wine.

Step on it?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Yes.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Thanks guys I'm going to try Borax out.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
So I keep trying to open a paypal account and on the fire pahe where it asks for address and phone number it keeps saying my information is not correct? I mean I'm pretty sure i know where i live and what my number is

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

veni veni veni posted:

Thanks guys I'm going to try Borax out.

It's boric acid, actually. Comes in a pretty big squeeze bottle with a nozzle. The brand I've used was a yellow bottle with red printing, I think, for roaches. It absolutely wrecked them to the point that I almost felt bad.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Amused to Death posted:

So I keep trying to open a paypal account and on the fire pahe where it asks for address and phone number it keeps saying my information is not correct? I mean I'm pretty sure i know where i live and what my number is

It may be checking the address you're entering against the address of record for whatever credit card or whatnot that you have tied to the paypal account. Have you moved and not updated your address with your credit card company?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Q8ee posted:

why am I so poo poo when it comes to drinking alcohol? I drank 7-8 shots of gin last night, starting from 5:30pm and finishing around 11pm. I didn't even get shitfaced, just comfortably tipsy. I then head to bed around 1am and everything goes to hell. I start puking my guts out, feel generally poo poo and am left an anxious wreck. it's gotten to the point where I just don't want to drink anymore, cause the followup is always awful and never worth whatever amount of fun I had the night before.

my friends will be messaging me the morning after asking if I wanna tag along for a full english breakfast to settle my stomach, and I'm left scratching my head wondering how on earth they can manage getting out of bed, let alone eating food. I'll be stuck in bed for most of the day, and then spend the rest of the day eating tiny bits of food.

Have you ever tried just eating the full English breakfast? Or at least some eggs, sausage, and toast? Like, maybe don't go with your friends, but just have some at home the next morning, in case it really does make you sick. Because the general experience with hangover nausea is that you feel like you're going to throw up, right up until you get whatever your chosen fatty, greasy food you are beginning your day with into your system. It's counterintuitive, but that's how it works for most of us, I think.

Also, before going out, set a litter of Gatorade, or Pedialyte, or something similar in your refrigerator. Drink the whole goddamn thing with ibuprofen before you go to bed, even if you feel like you didn't have that much to drink.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Sep 5, 2017

Qubee
May 31, 2013

With the full english breakfast, I have tried it. I'll throw up after drinking water, or milk, or eating toast or cereal. I can't keep a drat thing down. Typical night out starts around 7pm for me, ends around 3am. I'll get home, puke my guts out, and spend the night unable to sleep either cause the room is spinning, I'm being hit with anxiety, or nausea is preventing me from sleeping (the constant feeling of "oh god I'm gonna throw up" makes it hard to sleep since I don't wanna puke on my bedsheets). Most of the time, I'll throw up just to get 30 minutes of respite from the feeling of nausea, before having to throw up again. If I'm lucky, I can sleep relatively soon after getting home, but come morning time, I'll be throwing up and lying in bed. I'll alternate between lying awake in bed, fighting feelings of nausea, and having fitful sleep. I tend to feel "well enough" to get out of bed, start eating, etc around 3pm the next day, though nights of heavy drinking have left me stuck in bed right up to 5pm the following day.

I always prepare for a night out by getting Gatorade, I'll stick it on my bedside table, along with multivitamins and fish oil. I take the multivits and fish oil before going out, and then take em when I get into bed, along with drinking the Gatorade. I also make sure to drink plenty of water throughout the day and eat a big meal before I go out (I seriously overprep for nights out). It helps a tiny bit, but doesn't prevent me puking. Only difference is, I puke Gatorade, and my head hurts marginally less the next day, but stomach is still in bits.

I think I've just drawn the genetic shortstraw. It's never worth it for me. Either I keep my drinking to a minimum, which is pointless, because a beer or two doesn't affect me, or I keep pace with friends, get happy drunk, night goes great, but then I pay for it 10x over that night / following morning. I don't step foot in clubs anymore cause the only way I enjoy clubbing is if I get outrageously drunk. It's kinda crippling to my social life since clubbing is what everyone does and how you meet so many people. Ah well. Dunno whether it's just youthful boasting or if my friends legitimately don't get hangovers, cause they never seem to get them as bad as I do.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Thanatosian posted:

Have you ever tried just eating the full English breakfast? Or at least some eggs, sausage, and toast? Like, maybe don't go with your friends, but just have some at home the next morning, in case it really does make you sick. Because the general experience with hangover nausea is that you feel like you're going to throw up, right up until you get whatever your chosen fatty, greasy food you are beginning your day with into your system. It's counterintuitive, but that's how it works for most of us, I think.

Also, before going out, set a litter of Gatorade, or Pedialyte, or something similar in your refrigerator. Drink the whole goddamn thing with ibuprofen before you go to bed, even if you feel like you didn't have that much to drink.

I'm voting Powerade xION ^4 (now with every loving electrolyte and B vitamin)

But watching a man consume bangers and mash and a bunch of stouts before he hits the rough world of Best Buy is kind of depressing.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Q8ee posted:

Dunno whether it's just youthful boasting or if my friends legitimately don't get hangovers, cause they never seem to get them as bad as I do.

Some people just get rotten hangovers. Not much you can do about it past re-hydrating and suffering.

Unless you do something like find a new hobby? Take up a martial art or something and get involved with the social side of the club, I dunno. There's probably a bunch of non-drinkers in something like that, and the rest of them wouldn't bat an eyelid at someone else who was like "oh I don't drink" as long as they were casual about it. If you're worried that trying to keep up with a social scene is giving you crippling hangovers, then see if you can diversify your social life.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Memento posted:

Some people just get rotten hangovers. Not much you can do about it past re-hydrating and suffering.

Unless you do something like find a new hobby? Take up a martial art or something and get involved with the social side of the club, I dunno. There's probably a bunch of non-drinkers in something like that, and the rest of them wouldn't bat an eyelid at someone else who was like "oh I don't drink" as long as they were casual about it. If you're worried that trying to keep up with a social scene is giving you crippling hangovers, then see if you can diversify your social life.

Cheers man, your advice is good. I'm not gonna force myself to do things I'm not happy with. I'm already active in other parts of uni life, and have joined clubs and societies where things don't revolve around getting wasted. It's just a large part of meeting people you'd never otherwise meet is at clubs, and I can't stand em normally so it's kinda irritating.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Why were you doing shots of Gin?

Hipster_Doofus posted:

It's boric acid, actually. Comes in a pretty big squeeze bottle with a nozzle. The brand I've used was a yellow bottle with red printing, I think, for roaches. It absolutely wrecked them to the point that I almost felt bad.

Noted! Glad I forgot to buy borax today then.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Lately I've been noticing that water tastes weird. It's hard to describe, but the best way I can think of is as sour, acidic or tangy. It's most noticeable on the underside of my tongue right at the point the water hits as I drink, but it effects my whole tongue. I can't taste it when I smack my lips and hit the roof of my mouth with my tongue like you do when you want to taste something, but I taste/feel it if I fill my mouth completely with water and move my tongue around through the water. The reason I've been saying water generally instead of "the water" from some specific source, is that it seems to be all water, no matter what source it's from or container it's in. I'm going to try water at different temperatures, and some alkaline water, in case those are related, but water shouldn't be sour just because it's room temperature anyway. Has this happened to anyone else?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

Why were you doing shots of Gin?

I wasn't, I was just using it as a measurement. I was mixing the gin with lemonade, but had the equivalent of 8 shots over 4 drinks, over a 6 hour period.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Lately I've been noticing that water tastes weird. It's hard to describe, but the best way I can think of is as sour, acidic or tangy. It's most noticeable on the underside of my tongue right at the point the water hits as I drink, but it effects my whole tongue. I can't taste it when I smack my lips and hit the roof of my mouth with my tongue like you do when you want to taste something, but I taste/feel it if I fill my mouth completely with water and move my tongue around through the water. The reason I've been saying water generally instead of "the water" from some specific source, is that it seems to be all water, no matter what source it's from or container it's in. I'm going to try water at different temperatures, and some alkaline water, in case those are related, but water shouldn't be sour just because it's room temperature anyway. Has this happened to anyone else?

Is it only water that has changed taste, not any other foods or drink?

Because you said that it doesn't depend on container, but bottled water is often just city water in a bottle.

Because I'm thinking some kind of pollution of the water, unless you've already tasted water from all kinds of different places.

If it's not, then I'm at a loss 😊

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Q8ee posted:

I wasn't, I was just using it as a measurement. I was mixing the gin with lemonade, but had the equivalent of 8 shots over 4 drinks, over a 6 hour period.

Every single person I know over the age of 25 or so has, at some point, felt some sort of switch flick inside themselves where they went from being able to drink huge quantities and roll through terrible hangovers with no big hassle to suddenly getting destroyed by hangovers that last 24 hours if they have more than a handful of drinks. In college I would get absolutely blitzed and go to class the next morning at 9:00 with a horrific hungover and by the end of the class I'd be fine. Now if I drink that much I'm a wreck for the entirety of the next day.

Your body changes as you get older and it becomes less able to cope with drinking shitloads of booze. Maybe your "switch" got flipped early, or maybe it was flipped all along. If you can learn how to pace yourself you can still go out to clubs and have fun if that's what you want to do, but honestly your problem can be summed up as, "when I drink too much, I get really, really drunk!" There's an obvious and easy solution to this problem. The fact that your "too much" isn't the same as your friend's "too much" doesn't mean that it still isn't too much. There's no secret trick your friends are using that you aren't.

Going out will become a heck of a lot more fun for you once you figure out how to avoid hangovers.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

hooah posted:

Are there any resources for body-weight HIIT routines that won't make me feel like I'm going to vomit by the time I'm done?

Just do whatever routine makes you feel like vomiting, but do it slower, or do less reps. HIIT is supposed to make your body feel like death for 10-15 minutes, so if you feel like vomiting you should prob just keep doing the routine on a schedule until you don't feel like vomiting anymore. Then find a new, more intense routine that still makes you feel like vomiting.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Jeb! Repetition posted:

You might have a little bit of bacterial or fungal growth on part of your tongue. A dentist can check it out and prescribe you a bottle of medicated mouthwash to use that has Chlorhexidine in it to specifically kill bacteria, or an anti-fungal if they expect it's a fungus.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

If you dont already, please consistently brush your tongue in addition to your teeth. You can use a toothebrush to gently scrub the tongue meats, or actual tongue scraper if you have a sensitive gag reflex. You might think brushing your teeth is enough, but it's not.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

What software can I use for geometric drawing? I want to do stuff like this:

Is there something I can use to make shapes, bisect angles, extend lines and repeat patterns? Ideally then also apply line treatments, make collections of shapes for colouring and things like that as well. I suppose something that helps quilters visualise their projects before they start could be cool as well. I just want to make shapes repeat and colour them to relax at the end of the day.

CerealCrunch
Jun 23, 2007

greazeball posted:

What software can I use for geometric drawing? I want to do stuff like this:

Is there something I can use to make shapes, bisect angles, extend lines and repeat patterns? Ideally then also apply line treatments, make collections of shapes for colouring and things like that as well. I suppose something that helps quilters visualise their projects before they start could be cool as well. I just want to make shapes repeat and colour them to relax at the end of the day.

photoshop

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Illustrator wold probably be better for something like that -- repeated geometric shapes you can arrange with mathematically perfect precision.

Or some free Illustrator equivalent.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Inkscape is/was a free Illustrator alternative, but I'm not sure what it's like at placing multiple instances of the same item (it might be fine, I never used it).

SketchUp might also work, if you force it to a 2D view and disable the persepective. I know you can use it to save a shape, place it multiple times and re-select all of them. It has lots of options for snapping edges together as well, which would likely be desirable.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
why is elon musk so scared of AI was he traumatized by terminator movies when he was a child?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Doorknob Slobber posted:

why is elon musk so scared of AI was he traumatized by terminator movies when he was a child?
A lot of nerds have fallen prey to AI scaremongers. Superintelligence: The Idea That Eats Smart People.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Because Elon Musk conceives as AI as behaving like he does, and that would be horrifying.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Gobbeldygook posted:

A lot of nerds have fallen prey to AI scaremongers. Superintelligence: The Idea That Eats Smart People.

I read through that whole thing and it makes some good points, but it's not on the whole as persuasive as the author thinks it is.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Combination of these;

People constantly praised by other about how awesome they are tend to go a bit nuts.

Nutty people tend to obsess about something stupid.

Nerds tend to be exposed to a lot of scifi things.

Decently smart people often don't realize how little they know outside of their specialty.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Q8ee posted:

why am I so poo poo when it comes to drinking alcohol? I drank 7-8 shots of gin last night, starting from 5:30pm and finishing around 11pm. I didn't even get shitfaced, just comfortably tipsy. I then head to bed around 1am and everything goes to hell. I start puking my guts out, feel generally poo poo and am left an anxious wreck. it's gotten to the point where I just don't want to drink anymore, cause the followup is always awful and never worth whatever amount of fun I had the night before.
If some drinks affect you worse than others (and vodka the least of any) then maybe you're having some kind of reaction to something in the drinks other than the alcohol. 8 drinks over six hours is not a lot at all, and two hours later you should be starting to feel like you're sober (you're not, but you feel like you are), not throwing up.

ineptmule posted:

Gin is a pretty ballsy spirit to shot and I'm not surprised it wrecked you.
Why would gin be worse than whiskey or rum or vodka or any other spirit? They're all mostly around 40% ABV.

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

7 or 8 shots (worth) is a lot of alcohol
No it isn't. It's a little bit more than one bottle of wine or a six-pack of beer.

kedo posted:

\Every single person I know over the age of 25 or so has, at some point, felt some sort of switch flick inside themselves where they went from being able to drink huge quantities and roll through terrible hangovers with no big hassle to suddenly getting destroyed by hangovers that last 24 hours if they have more than a handful of drinks.
Certainly you get less able to tolerate and recover from the effects of alcohol as you get older, but we're talking about eight drinks over eight hours here (including the two hours of not drinking at the end). Being wrecked by that is not normal.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Q8ee posted:

I wasn't drinking them as shots, I mixed them with a lot of lemonade.

I've only just put 2 and 2 together. Gin with lemonade and wine are bad, but vodka is fine? Are you sure your problem is with alcohol rather than fruity drinks in particular? Several people in my family have problems with fruity drinks, but beers/vodka without fruit (fructose?) is no problem.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Really dumb question. I've got a pair of these boots, and want to get another pair. I like the colour of these ones, which are the same make except that they have steel caps.

When I first bought my black ones, they were tight in the toes, took a while to wear in, and are now comfortable. If this is exactly the same boot but with a steel cap, I assume that would be a problem. Steel caps don't wear in, do they? Is it possible to get them adjusted, or even removed? I'd just be buying the boot for the colour of the leather, not the protection of the steel toe.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Certainly you get less able to tolerate and recover from the effects of alcohol as you get older, but we're talking about eight drinks over eight hours here (including the two hours of not drinking at the end). Being wrecked by that is not normal.

Let's agree that we (along with the OP) don't really know how much he drank because his numbers change slightly with each post. The "shots" were actually mixed drinks he was mixing himself, and based on his posts I'm guessing he's a novice drinker so he probably doesn't actually know how close to a "serving" each they were. He's also not sure exactly how many drinks he had (was it seven? eight? maybe nine or ten? who knows when you're getting drunk!). He's probably consuming them faster than he can process them, so idk why it would be so outlandish that he's getting drunk? It may not be "normal" from your perspective, but it's apparently how his body works. His description of lying in bed with the room spinning is a pretty spot on description of having had way too much to drink.

Anyways, the point that I was trying to make is that for whatever reason the OP is getting too drunk for his comfort level, and he's trying to find some silver bullet that will allow him to drink a shitload and not get hungover. This will never happen.

OP, if your goal is to meet people and drinking causes you pain, why not try meeting people... another way?!?! A lot of us in this thread were (or are) in college once. There are other, better ways of meeting people than going clubbing, trust me on this.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Tiggum posted:

Why would gin be worse than whiskey or rum or vodka or any other spirit? They're all mostly around 40% ABV.

It wouldn't really, I suppose I was more thinking about the intensity of the botanical flavour as being especially unpleasant to drink as a shot. But the OP has already clarified that he wasn't shotting it.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I'm going to go with the drinks being much stronger than the OP thought they were. If you're just pouring from a bottle and eyeballing it I found people almost always pour heavier than they think they are.

That being said, I used to be a pretty regular and heavy drinker, but once I hit my mid 30s for hangovers became way less predictable and way more severe to the point where I rarely have more than one or two drinks a night anymore. My old drinking buddy had the same thing happen but like three years sooner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
We are planning a semi-unplugged wedding in that we don't want guests to turn off their phones and taking pictures are permitted BUT only selfies and to not do it during the important parts of the ceremony (i.e. entrance, kiss). What's the best way to phrase this?