Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Oh no, I chuckled at a McCoy, what has this thread done to me.
:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Silver2195 posted:

My first thought was that it was suggesting that automation is a bigger threat to people's jobs than immigration, but that seems too sensible for Branco.
Its a "how dare workers ask for more money/better work conditions, all that will do is result in companies seeking robots to replace them!"

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

achillesforever6 posted:

Its a "how dare workers ask for more money/better work conditions, all that will do is result in companies seeking robots to replace them!"

I look forward to the day when newspapers realize they can just install Automatic Political Cartoon-Generating programs and fire all their cartoonists, Branco especially included.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Don't think this has been posted yet.

If you go back through the entire thing from the beginning you can see the marriage stuff has been there all along.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

muscles like this! posted:

If you go back through the entire thing from the beginning you can see the marriage stuff has been there all along.

Haha, I was wondering about that in the background!

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Jurgan posted:

Lol, I forgot that Garrison constantly reminds us of Hillary Clinton scandalously having a shoe fall off once.

See, my thoughts went to Zyklon Ben's dickbulge Michelle Obama, but now that you mention it...

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

How does one do that? I hate the Onion's infinite scroll. :(

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015

Pakled posted:

I could have sworn I read in the introduction of a Foxtrot collection from the early 90's that the lead-in time for their strips was two weeks for dailies and six weeks for Sunday strips.

Most anthologies from that time go into it. Scott Adams was usually 3-4 months ahead. Bill Watterson's Tenth Anniversary collection is really interesting,.He did all the color for his own strip. Scott Adams complained about how the colorist picked the worst time to add color to the cast. Waterson's book is definitely worth reading if you like a lot of newspaper comic history. Scott not so much.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This one takes on a whole new meaning with the later revelations.

If you look at the background in this one the daughter in law is the only one actually looking at Kelly walking around with the prostitute.

Shangri-Law School posted:

How does one do that? I hate the Onion's infinite scroll. :(

There isn't really an easy way to do it, this should get you most of them.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I like how it was there the whole time, but it wasn't obvious to Kelly and the readers until the son finally spells it out during the camp out: Kelly because he's too self absorbed with his own misery to read between the lines, and the readers just taking a perpetually annoyed daughter-in-law for granted in a Kelly-toon and also focusing their attention on Kelly's antics as well.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Cant fault a conservative cartoonist who hates himself as much as kelly

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

My favorite is still the Grim Reaper labelled "Americana".

e: Peppy Hospitality was up there though.

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Sep 6, 2017

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Von Humboldt posted:

Who's the third guy there?
The label says "North Korean Communist forces" but I think the caricature is of Kim Il-sung.

(North Korea spelled as "North Han" rather than "Choson", heh)

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

loquacius posted:

They're at Hooters. Hooters is a fast-food chain whose main draw is young pretty waitresses in skimpy uniforms. The eyes are probably heavy makeup. Grateful Offspring is probably mad that his dad took his kids to a Hooters but is fed up enough with him by this point that it's easier to just not make a thing out of it. Note Grateful Offspring's wife angrily waiting outside.

Xander77 posted:

Re: eyes - They have mismatched pupils, which I believe is cartoon language for "crazy", but doesn't really make sense with the cartoon.

Re: offspring - the cartoon is from Kelly's perspective. He shouldn't have any idea his son isn't ecstatically enthusiastic about eating at Hooters.

Jurgan posted:

I guess I'm going to be overruled on this one, but it doesn't work for me to have a half-reliable narrator. Either we're seeing Kelly's POV or we aren't.

Now cue a dozen posts telling me how I'm overthinking jokes in cartoons, as if this whole thread isn't about overthinking jokes in cartoons.

Johnny Walker posted:

I agree. It made me pause and think about it too long and took me out of the character. It was an unusual weak detail for a Kelly and I think it's fair to say that.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Here's the thing: You can take kids to ANY restaurant and they'll be happy because they're getting fed. They're too young/hungry to realize that there grandpa is actually being pretty sleazy by insisting on taking them to Hooters as opposed to anywhere else even though it clearly made their mom very upset. It's the kind of thing you don't pick up on until you're older.

I like how this cartoon suddenly makes more sense after the reveal, and the confusion the thread had as the penny begins its drop is pretty good in hindsight too.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Man looking back at this Gilganixon comic from 2014 makes me feel like it was a much simpler time. :(

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

itskage posted:

Man looking back at this Gilganixon comic from 2014 makes me feel like it was a much simpler time. :(

RIP Gilganixon, blessed are the dead.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

poo poo seriously? :smith:

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

itskage posted:

poo poo seriously? :smith:

No.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Wait a minute, in Zyklon Ben's world Obama is the one blowing the winds of civil war? :confused:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Kelly abandons his kid yet again! Man, for most of the summer I thought the son's wife was just miserable because her rear end in a top hat father-in-law was being a douche, guess there was a lot more going wrong :smith:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Kelly abandons his kid yet again! Man, for most of the summer I thought the son's wife was just miserable because her rear end in a top hat father-in-law was being a douche, guess there was a lot more going wrong :smith:

I'm sure her husband trying to reconnect with his horrible father didn't help.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I want everyone in this comic to die, preferably in a terrorism of some sort.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

itskage posted:

I cannot believe that the loving READY thing was already 2-3 years old when Clinton was actually nominated. Like, it's Prickly City, so I actually can believe that and do remember like 75% of the strips starting with the same stupid panel.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Those are some strong words friend!

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Hihohe posted:

lol trumps feet never even touched a puddle in Texas.
Ben only did it that way so he wouldn't have to draw feet.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Wait, so, are the characters killed by terrorists or do they die doing the terriorism?

Also, I like Zelda so poo on you. Poo I say!

Although I am a little tired of "Zelda hates dating men" comics, just get a girlfriend already Zelda sheesh!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Since it's over, here is the Kelly All-American Summer in its entirety:

I hope you all enjoyed this very American summer :911: Now bring on Oktoberfest!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Kerning Chameleon posted:

I like how this cartoon suddenly makes more sense after the reveal, and the confusion the thread had as the penny begins its drop is pretty good in hindsight too.
What.

"The confusion the thread had" has nothing to do with the wife-son relationship.

Lurdiak posted:

The original. They were treated as dangerous violent radicals by the press even as they did such evil things as "feed children".
Ah. Sometimes I forget exactly where people in this thread are coming from. The Black Panthers were just a charity organization. k.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Sep 6, 2017

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Wait, so, are the characters killed by terrorists or do they die doing the terriorism?

Also, I like Zelda so poo on you. Poo I say!

Although I am a little tired of "Zelda hates dating men" comics, just get a girlfriend already Zelda sheesh!

Zelda's bisexuality was brought up a couple of strips ago, but as it turns out she's in deep denial about it.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

ACRE & EQUAT
Aug 28, 2004

FUNERAL BREADS
WAR BREAD
https://www.facebook.com/martytwobulls/posts/1571998406177362

Marty Two Bulls posted:

Dear Readers
Indian Country Today will no longer pursue new content. After looking at the numbers they felt they could no longer support a free publication on the internet. A dilemma that all news organizations are facing today. This decision was a long time in coming and we contributors were privy to that information as it affected each individual. I have been involved in newspapers most of my career and understand first hand how hard that decision was to make.
I want to make it clear that I was never an employee and was only a freelancer. That allowed me the freedom to make cartoons and editorial opinions that were my own and not the views of a publisher or editorial board. After all it is my name that goes on each and every cartoon.
But don’t worry about me the one thing I have learned is how to land on my feet.
I'm in negotiations with another media outlets and a possible syndication deal. I also retained all copyright and have self published in other Native owned publications; Lakota Country Times, Mandan, Hidatsa and Arikara News, Cherokee One Feather, News From Indian Country and the Sicangu Scribe.
So don't fret I will use this page to let readers know where to find me.
I've been doing a cartoon every week for the past 17 years (886 cartoons) so it is a tough habit to break!

Thanks for all your support and your comments.
Marty G. Two Bulls Sr.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

:eyepop:

Amazing as always.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

:(

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Marty no :negative:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Ah man, he was one of the good ones :smith:

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
I wonder if Indian and Cowboy would be interested in his work http://indianandcowboy.ca/pitch/

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

This sucks, but he seems pretty confident about his ability to get a new gig going. And with such a vast body of work to draw from, I imagine he can put together a real slam-dunk portfolio.

I wonder if Bors and him are in contact. Admittedly even when you're talented finding work as a political cartoonist is loving rough, so maybe he could post his own stuff with a patreon or something?

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Pissfucker though he is, I'll give Stantis credit for sticking to this point longer than most of the talking heads.

• Locked thread