Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!
What is 'The Die' and is it better than RPBot?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Infinite Oregano posted:

What is 'The Die' and is it better than RPBot?

I know there are two different Discords both of them claiming to be the 'SA Trad Games' discord and I dunno what the difference between the two is meant to be other than I assume some people in one of them don't like some of the people in the other one.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So hey, I ran No Thank You Evil for my two sons (6 & 7) and a friend's kids (7 and 4, with help from mom) and it was a pretty great time. The rules are nice and simple - simplified Cypher, which is just fine for kids - and the whole vibe was a blast.

The hardest part of running for kids is striking a good balance between a collaborative group story with rules, and an anything-goes let's-pretend brainstorming session where everyone does their own thing. I think they mostly got the hang of it by the end of Dragonsnot Falls - everyone wanted to play again but, man, I was exhausted worse than in any game I've run for grown-ups. :)

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

bewilderment posted:

I know there are two different Discords both of them claiming to be the 'SA Trad Games' discord and I dunno what the difference between the two is meant to be other than I assume some people in one of them don't like some of the people in the other one.

Wait until you find the hidden third discord

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Ominous Jazz posted:

Wait until you find the hidden third discord
you have to get the achievements for beating the bosses of discords 1 and 2 to unlock it

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
There are four discords, but you only need to eat three for the true ending.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Spirit of '77 is woefully underappreciated. Which you wouldn't think it would be, but it is.

Spirit of '77 is the best. My game of a freelance underworld coroner and an unlicensed PI to the studios in corrupt 70s LA was a blast.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

bewilderment posted:

theres also the board game discord, where people talk about board games, in discord

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!

grassy gnoll posted:

Finally, my doll waifu and me can be together at last...

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Yawgmoth posted:

you have to get the achievements for beating the bosses of discords 1 and 2 to unlock it

Due to a programming bug I'm actually unbeatable, so you can only get the achievement for #2. I hear they might patch that soon, though.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Perhaps I shall make my own, other than the one of my game, and the one of my other game.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Imagine 4 discords on the edge of a cliff...

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:

grassy gnoll posted:

Ahh... You've found yourself a poster...

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

n i c e

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

grassy gnoll posted:

A Goon is a Goon, even in a Dream

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

dwarf74 posted:

So hey, I ran No Thank You Evil for my two sons (6 & 7) and a friend's kids (7 and 4, with help from mom) and it was a pretty great time. The rules are nice and simple - simplified Cypher, which is just fine for kids - and the whole vibe was a blast.

The hardest part of running for kids is striking a good balance between a collaborative group story with rules, and an anything-goes let's-pretend brainstorming session where everyone does their own thing. I think they mostly got the hang of it by the end of Dragonsnot Falls - everyone wanted to play again but, man, I was exhausted worse than in any game I've run for grown-ups. :)

I just picked this up for my kiddo, any tips I should know starting out?

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Flaggy posted:

First suggestion, be sure to have fun! Second suggestion, absolutely no loving WIZARDS!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Flaggy posted:

The biggest thing is pretty much what I laid out, above. It's a weird tightrope to walk when 3 kids are totally into the story, and the 4th one wants to sidetrack everyone to get concrete so he can build a ramp for his Cool Car buddy. :) The trick, of course, just like for older people, is not to shut it down, but to redirect it. Make that concrete part of the goal or something, and some rad jumps the celebration. Stuff like "inventory" is a challenging concept for a group of kids, so I wouldn't push it too hard. It's hard to explain what 'collaborative storytelling' is to a group of kids who are mostly used to self-guided solo storytelling, without any guidelines or rules. Go with the flow, but lead them together, if that makes sense.

The game is not challenging, by design, and the characters are fairly well over-prepared for anything that may come their way. The rules are incredibly easy, and probably resemble what the Cypher System would have looked like before Monte decided it needed to use a d20 instead of a d6. (Cypher is crap, but this is for kids, and it's easy to understand.) There's simply not enough challenges in an hour or half-hour of time for them to ever run out of their little tokens to spend - and if they do, they can always Have Fun and get them all back.

Prompt them to Be Awesome and help their friends.

It's best with at least 2 players, because of this. Having one grown-up helping the players is a good idea, too.

Get the box set; the cards are a great visual aid for getting everyone started, and the little tokens help even non-readers get their feet wet.

funmanguy posted:

First suggestion, be sure to have fun! Second suggestion, absolutely no loving WIZARDS!
Nobody in my game used their knack for anything other than style, and none of the companions' cyphers got used either. Probably that's a result of the age ranges and the relative difficulty of the adventure, though. :)

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Countblanc posted:

theres also the board game discord, where people talk about board games, in discord
Its also the chillest and best SA trad games discord

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

bewilderment posted:

1 has discussion about gender stereotypes and toxic masculinity

The other is full of spergs talking about how Warhammer 40K is the best game ever and they post pictures of dogs

Don't join the trad games discord.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Here is mine, "The Third One"

https://discord.gg/XjhZhpu

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
The only reason there's two general-use "SA Trad Games" discord servers is because both of us had the bright idea at more-or-less the same time. There was no split, no schism, no rivalry, no weird drama at all beyond the fact I've got someone on my ignore list so I didn't find out until much later.

Join one, join both, who cares. I'm pretty sure I'm banned from the other one due to my eating habits, but from what I hear it's not terrible as a hang-out.

But here's an invite link to the cool one.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

The thing that I find funny is that the board gaming discord was set up before the other two, was originally set up as a Trad Game discord rather than a board game specific one and then it was just taken over by board gaming people.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Fuego Fish posted:

The only reason there's two general-use "SA Trad Games" discord servers is because both of us had the bright idea at more-or-less the same time. There was no split, no schism, no rivalry, no weird drama at all beyond the fact I've got someone on my ignore list so I didn't find out until much later.

Join one, join both, who cares. I'm pretty sure I'm banned from the other one due to my eating habits, but from what I hear it's not terrible as a hang-out.

But here's an invite link to the cool one.

Why would your eating habits get you banned from a Discord server?

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
Canīt we all just behave as one big happy family?
Or, if all else fails, one big dysfunction family?
Having a single Discord server for SA TG entirely,
even if with different channels, would do well for all TGites ;)

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Exmond posted:

1 has discussion about gender stereotypes and toxic masculinity

The other is full of spergs talking about how Warhammer 40K is the best game ever and they post pictures of dogs

Don't join the trad games discord.

What do you have against dogs?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

drrockso20 posted:

IIRC it was eating loose beef, like an animal

(I don't know what 'loose beef' means or why eating it could be bad, though, so, uh....)

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Mr.Misfit posted:

Canīt we all just behave as one big happy family?
Or, if all else fails, one big dysfunction family?
Having a single Discord server for SA TG entirely,
even if with different channels, would do well for all TGites ;)

not convinced by your choice of metre for this one

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Who cares about this stupid drama

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Flaggy posted:

I ran it this weekend for my girlfriend, her 7-yo, and my 9-yo.

My advice is to read the guide throughly because the organization is utter poo poo and there's no index. (I'm still not totally sure I understand how Fun regenerates).

It was fun!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

dwarf74 posted:

IIRC it was eating loose beef, like an animal

(I don't know what 'loose beef' means or why eating it could be bad, though, so, uh....)

Fuego was literally eating a pound of loose ground beef. I told him to be less of a goon and add vegetables or make it into tacos or something. That's how this all got started.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
This thread is about to get real bad real quick, everyone ready?

Serf
May 5, 2011

"loose beef" will never not sound vaguely dirty

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

drrockso20 posted:

Ah, Arivia has a weird blood feud against me that started with her throwing a tantrum over nothing at all and ended up with her accusing me of racism, domestic violence, lying about my sexuality, and a few other things. Hence why I have her on ignore, it makes the forums a smoother experience for me.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Fuego Fish posted:

Ah, Arivia has a weird blood feud against me that started with her throwing a tantrum over nothing at all and ended up with her accusing me of racism, domestic violence, lying about my sexuality, and a few other things. Hence why I have her on ignore, it makes the forums a smoother experience for me.

Please add this Discordgoons.txt along with a picture of a dog

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
Anybody want the winning numbers for the lottery because I'm nostradamus bitch

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Y'all need to chill

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

It really is ridiculous that we have two different discords because of all this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

This loose beef is stale.

• Locked thread