Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Kim Justice posted:

As if people in this thread don't...

At the very least, we're not possessive.

It's a bar you can walk over but it's still a notch higher than Spoony's fanbase used to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

ApeHawk posted:

NC's newest video is an editorial on... if credits suck now or not...

Yeah.

Why Do People Watch Credits? 🤔

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

ApeHawk posted:

Yeah.

I watched this, and it would have been more appropriate to title the video, "Do Opening Credits Suck Now?" The video detailing how films don't tend to do elaborate or creative opening credit sequences nowadays.

EDIT: I know I'll probably catch flak for it, but it's not really a bad video. He makes a good point about how it helps build up the audience's excitement for the film, rather than just starting the film without any fanfare.

One of the things he doesn't mention, and one of the weird factoids I'm reminded of, is that at the time, Star Wars didn't have opening credits, and I think Lucas had to pay a fee because of that.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Sep 6, 2017

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

ApeHawk posted:

Yeah.

{NC face}

Why do movies have credits?

:ninja'd:

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.
On Spoony, the only "just the facts" are from a couple tweets a month or so back. Effectively "My depression is kicking my rear end, I have no motivation, and even though my financial situation is becoming dire, I still can't get my rear end out of this funk"

Paraphrasing, because I'm not digging up tweets, Twitter search suuuuuucks.

I'm sure Internet Accountants have extrapolated from there and filled in the blanks with their own projections.

I'm still rooting for Spoony to get better but, like I know firsthand from depression, ain't no one can do that but one's own self. (Or, at least, making the decision to seek out help and sticking with it)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

One of the things he doesn't mention, and one of the weird factoids I'm reminded of, is that at the time, Star Wars didn't have opening credits, and I think Lucas had to pay a fee because of that.

Yeah, that's a pretty big oversight if you're making an argument based off cinematic history. Jesus. But yeah Lucas went to the mat for not having an opening credits sequence in A New Hope and actually quit the Director's Guild of America over the fine they levied against him for it and to make sure that any subsequent Star Wars films that may or may not have come about as a result of the first one's success (spoiler: they did) wouldn't be hosed with by the Guild the way ANH was.

Of course this also meant that when he shopped the director's chair for Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi to Steven Spielberg, David Lynch, and David Cronenberg, they all had to decline the offer because they were DGA members.

But seriously, if it's not an HBO show or a stupid high budget anime, who honestly gives a poo poo about how good an opening credit sequence is?

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, that's a pretty big oversight if you're making an argument based off cinematic history. Jesus. But yeah Lucas went to the mat for not having an opening credits sequence in A New Hope and actually quit the Director's Guild of America over the fine they levied against him for it and to make sure that any subsequent Star Wars films that may or may not have come about as a result of the first one's success (spoiler: they did) wouldn't be hosed with by the Guild the way ANH was.

Of course this also meant that when he shopped the director's chair for Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi to Steven Spielberg, David Lynch, and David Cronenberg, they all had to decline the offer because they were DGA members.

But seriously, if it's not an HBO show or a stupid high budget anime, who honestly gives a poo poo about how good an opening credit sequence is?

I'm sure Lynch turned it down to do the Elephant Man

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

sexpig by night posted:

To be fair "make cartoon network conspiracy rants that usually involve the lady in charge activity trying to tank the network out of spite" is the current cartoon discussion hotness.

To be fair Cartoon Network's treatment of Regular Show and Steven Universe has been appalling lately.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

nine-gear crow posted:

You might have your order wrong, according to SFDebris videos on the original trilogy he didn't quit the DGA until after Empire.

And yes, I am plugging the poo poo out of SFDebris videos :v:

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

lornekates posted:

On Spoony, the only "just the facts" are from a couple tweets a month or so back. Effectively "My depression is kicking my rear end, I have no motivation, and even though my financial situation is becoming dire, I still can't get my rear end out of this funk"

Paraphrasing, because I'm not digging up tweets, Twitter search suuuuuucks.

I'm sure Internet Accountants have extrapolated from there and filled in the blanks with their own projections.

I'm still rooting for Spoony to get better but, like I know firsthand from depression, ain't no one can do that but one's own self. (Or, at least, making the decision to seek out help and sticking with it)

Well that and his tweeting "I'm going to lose my house!" in a serious, no jokey way is probably what gave everyone the impression he's going to lose the house.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Intrinsic Field Marshal posted:

To be fair Cartoon Network's treatment of Regular Show and Steven Universe has been appalling lately.

Regular Show ended

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Alacron posted:

You might have your order wrong, according to SFDebris videos on the original trilogy he didn't quit the DGA until after Empire.

A Spielberg directed Jedi would either be amazing or a catastrophic miss.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

You're not wrong. There are some rumours on what the motivation is behind CN's crazy schedule but nothing concrete. As for the crazy conspiracies that paint CN execs as outright villains, those I can do without. The hosts on the latest Pizza Party Podcast with the Your Movie Sucks guy even made fun of all the internet conspiracies people come up with that paint CN as some prison for Steven Universe.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Arcsquad12 posted:

The ewoks spears and rocks are replaced with walkie talkies.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MariusLecter posted:

The ewoks spears and rocks are replaced with walkie talkies.

FWIW, he regretted the gently caress out of doing that, unlike Lucas.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Archer666 posted:

Well that and his tweeting "I'm going to lose my house!" in a serious, no jokey way is probably what gave everyone the impression he's going to lose the house.

That's what I heard, but I couldn't find the actual tweet.

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

FWIW, he regretted the gently caress out of doing that, unlike Lucas.
Didn't he also do that out of a request from Drew Barrymore?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Alacron posted:

imo, we should talk way more about SciFiDebris, and way less about the personal life of critics. Chuck realyl stepped up his game with this in depth, almost mini documentaries, about various behind the scenes stuff of nerd things, like the making of Star wars and the evolution of its story or the collapse of the '90 collectors market.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Cartoon Network has all of what, five shows? What are they using to fill out the rest of their schedule?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Lavish opening credit sequences are a particular fixture of James Bond movies.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Calaveron posted:

Cartoon Network has all of what, five shows? What are they using to fill out the rest of their schedule?

Their twenty years of back-catalogue, cycling round in perpetual syndication? :shrug:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Their twenty years of back-catalogue, cycling round in perpetual syndication? :shrug:

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Okay, this is a fake, right?

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

e X posted:

If you look at the schedule for today, between the Adult Swim listings it's almost entirely TTG and OK KO, with a spot in the middle for some Tom and Jerry while the kids are at school, an hour of Gumball, and a prime time showing of We Bare Bears.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Yeah. It use to be people hated TTG because it wasn't the old Teen Titans show, now it's because it's become CN's Spongebob. It's become the Network's test pattern.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

e X posted:

Nope!

Here's this week's schedule if you feel like checking their homework:

There's a blog that does these charts and it's perpetually amusing to see Teen Titans get so much run time every single week

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Nope!

Here's this week's schedule if you feel like checking their homework:

I like how NNNNEW Friday doesn't have any NNNNEW

Edit: okay that's actually on me for assuming it was a new show because of the separate listing. Just new episodes.

Trojan Kaiju fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Sep 6, 2017

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Neat that they're airing the original Teen Titans again though.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Why are you posting the nickelodeon schedule but find > replace "spongebob" with "teen titans go"? Wait, that is the actual CN schedule? Man.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Teen Titans Go has become my wife's go to background noise when working on things for her teaching (she teaches 2nd grade). It's always on. It's like FXX and the Simpsons.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm still amazed the old teen titans show ever had a big following. It's nowhere near as good as stuff like the Justice League cartoon or even The Batman. (The one with the Jamaican looking Joker)
I chalk it up to weeaboo-ism because of its art style. I remember a lot of really ugly shows around the mid 2000s that aped anime art designs and proceeded to go overboard with them because it was the hip new thing.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm still amazed the old teen titans show ever had a big following. It's nowhere near as good as stuff like the Justice League cartoon or even The Batman. (The one with the Jamaican looking Joker)
I chalk it up to weeaboo-ism because of its art style. I remember a lot of really ugly shows around the mid 2000s that aped anime art designs and proceeded to go overboard with them because it was the hip new thing.

It was fun and some of its best content (the Judas contract adaptation, Red X) was as good as mediocre BTAS
Plus the theme song was super rocking

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Arcsquad12 posted:

It was actually cool and good.

I rewatched it last year and it holds up really well. I think it got the following because the characters are just a lot of fun and interact really well with each other. I think it's actually a lot better than Season 1 of Justice League which I also rewatched around the same time, and significantly better than Young Justice's melodrama.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Arcsquad12 posted:

Teen Titans was a helluva lot better than The Batman

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The original CN Teen Titans is still easily one of Starfire's best portrayals, for that matter a better one for Raven too.

Also I never liked TTGO, but yeah once it started to be like an average 60% or more of CN's weekly programming that didn't do it any favors.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Sep 6, 2017

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'd lean with the former, since Spielberg's and Lucas' previous collab at the time, Raiders of the Lost Ark, was a massive hit and a great movie. I also say this because Lucas would have trusted Steven and given him the guidelines, and Steven would take that and make a better movie than Jedi is now (Lucas could then focus on other things and not be on set as much). I bet if you dosed George with truth serum, he'd say he wishes he could go back and add "an Irwin Kershner Film" to the opening of the movie.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

The original CN Teen Titans is still easily one of Starfire's best portrayals, for that matter a better one for Raven too.

Also I never liked TTGO, but yeah once it started to be like an average 60% or more of CN's weekly programming that didn't do it any favors.

Really? Because I've heard the criticism that the cartoon turned Starfire into a doofy airhead.

Actually, it might be more interesting to have a comparison between the original Teen Titans comic and the 2003 series, rather than with TTG. There was also that direct-to-video adaptation of The Judas Contract, and that looks to be closer to the original comics.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Max Wilco posted:

Really? Because I've heard the criticism that the cartoon turned Starfire into a doofy airhead.

That's the thing, that is a better portrayal than a whole lot of her other ones. :v:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The original Marv Wolfman comics that Teen Titans are based off are good, but they're horribly aged and aren't that fun.

Everybody but Starfire and Beast Boy are really goddamn boring, it relies way too much on rape as a plot device, and it all just reads too much like a hand-me-down version of Clairemont's X-Men.

I vastly prefer the animated version, the characters are fun instead of just being angst machines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Yeah, the Teen Titan comics have a bit of a reputation. One of the running gags when people talk about them is that, outside of the core cast, new Titan members have the life expectancy of a goldfish and every forth issue is "A TEEN TITAN WILL DIE!"

Another good example of this is in the later seasons of the 2003 show when Dr. Light was a villain. At this point in he comics however Identity Crisis happened, where Dr. Light was recast as a straight up rapist.

Good Teen Titans books are rare.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Sep 6, 2017

• Locked thread