Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Majorian posted:

I don't think anyone has suggested anything of the sort - just that the importance of Big Donor Bux has been massively overstated, particularly by mainstream Democratic strategists. Gaining lots of funds for your campaign but losing key portions of your coalition is a very bad trade if you're trying to get elected.

Exactly.

Getting an extra half-billion dollars over your opponent and spending more money in the history of the Republic doesn't help as much as you think it will when you're left stuttering and stammering at the debates trying to explain away the secret promises to Goldman Sachs that you made in order to get that sweet cash: "uh um when I told Goldman Sachs that my public position of actually punishing financial fraud was just a sham for votes and don't worry you'll like my private position of letting Wall Street write their own regulations, that was just like when Lincoln made public speeches about saving the Union but secretly campaigned to abolish slavery in the Union except his private position was good and mine is despicable". Oh yeah and also all the secrets came out because apparently $1.4 billion doesn't buy competent IT if your candidate and her entire staff are smug self-absorbed morons :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Majorian posted:

I don't think anyone has suggested anything of the sort - just that the importance of Big Donor Bux has been massively overstated, particularly by mainstream Democratic strategists. Gaining lots of funds for your campaign but losing key portions of your coalition is a very bad trade if you're trying to get elected.

e: Tommy Christopher has a spirited defense of Verrit up on the International Journal Review, which was read on this week's episode of Chapo. He had this to say, all of two days ago:

What a charmer. Party unity, everyone!
Without massive corporate donations how else will we buy incessant TV ads that just piss everyone off around the 90th time they see them?

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Majorian posted:

What a charmer. Party unity, everyone!

:chloe:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It's irritating that the new corporate shill argument is that if you're not selling out everything the party stands for for maximum corporate donations, you must be proposing taking in zero dollars. Like there's no way we can raise money by appealing to the people with policies that they want and for which they would donate, or telling corporations that a new new deal is actually in their long-term best interests so it behooves them to donate to us despite the fact that sweetheart deals and immunity from prosecution for financial crimes are no longer on the table.

Speaking of corporate shill arguments, I need to come up with a new emotion that's a combination of amusing and depressing to describe corporate dems saying "no see we can't compete in the districts we need to win because we're so toxic that any commitment of funding or infrastructure will doom the campaign. Since our corporate bootlicking and contempt for labor is so dreadfully unpopular outside of Silicon Valley and Wall Street, we only dare show our faces in wealthy Republican-voting suburbs that will never ever vote for us anyway" treating that as an excuse for funding exclusively centrist losers and refusing to campaign outside of wealthy enclaves rather than the blaring emergency siren that it actually is, warning us that the party needs a drastic overhaul to resuscitate the dreadful image that renders it permanently unable to function as a national party anymore.

Demusing.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Sep 6, 2017

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
They probably don't care as much about winning as they do about getting the money.

I mean, this is basically literally the rich paying the Democrats to throw elections at this point.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Inescapable Duck posted:

They probably don't care as much about winning as they do about getting the money.

I mean, this is basically literally the rich paying the Democrats to throw elections at this point.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Inescapable Duck posted:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

That makes sense from the standpoint of party leaders who stay on the gravy train win or lose.

What's mystifying is the smugposters here who get none of that corporate cash but are committed to condescending about how turning the party into corporate lickspittles with no ideals is the Serious Adult pragmatic election-winning thing to do while their bumbling neolib prophets blow election after election despite spending more money than God to buy their way into office.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Also worth pointing out that the RNC has surged ahead of the DNC in fundraising this year, and since the national committees depend on corporate money, we see corporations are abandoning the Democrats anyway because there's no return from investing in losers.

Treating money as the be-all and end-all of politics and assuming election victories will follow not only failed to deliver the expected victories as a corollary, but has also failed in its main objective because the money dried up too, so we whored out the Party of the People to corporate ghouls for nothing in the end.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I thought Democratic fundraising was basically the same, just that money was going to candidates instead of people donating to the DNC which is now fantastically unpopular.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Radish posted:

I thought Democratic fundraising was basically the same, just that money was going to candidates instead of people donating to the DNC which is now fantastically unpopular.

under normal circumstances i'd consider that Really Bad, as you kind of want someone coordinating what money goes where

but given the phenomenal ability to learn from mistakes the DNC has demonstrated...

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah the DNC has no loving idea what they are doing so any money not going to them instead of actual candidates is good. Of course a national organization that was actually interested in winning elections would be preferable but it's pretty clear at this point that the DNC is a social club first and a political party second.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inescapable Duck posted:

I don't think that's likely. They would be paying the Democratic leaders a lot less than they have for the last several elections if that were the case.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/905456368416641024

quote:

Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) on Wednesday brushed off Hillary Clinton's criticism of him in her new book about the 2016 presidential election, saying he's not interested in playing the blame game.

"My response is that right now it's appropriate to look forward and not backward," Sanders told The Hill.

"I'm working overtime now to see we overturn Trump's decision on DACA, pass a $15-an-hour minimum wage, and next week I'll be offering a Medicare-for-all single-payer system," he said.

Sanders said he wants to focus on the legislative challenges at hand and not debate who is to blame for President Trump's stunning electoral upset of Clinton, the Democratic nominee, in November.

"Our job is to go forward," he said.

Sanders made the comments after attending a Democratic press event responding to Trump's decision Tuesday to end the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program, which President Obama implemented in 2012 to shield from deportation immigrants who were brought to the U.S. illegally as children.

In her new book "What Happened," due out later this month, Clinton casts blame on Sanders for inflicting "lasting damage" on her campaign during the 2016 Democratic presidential primary, which she believes helped Trump win.

Clinton argues that Sanders laid the groundwork for Trump's "crooked Hillary" campaign attack by using "innuendo and impugning my character," according to reported excerpts of her book.

"His attacks caused lasting damage, making it harder to unify progressives in the general election," she wrote of Sanders.

Clinton also faults Sanders for what she saw as copying her ideas and then super-sizing them to make himself more appealing to liberal voters, describing him as a serial over-promiser.

"We would promise a bold infrastructure investment plan or an ambitious new apprenticeship program for young people, and then Bernie would announce basically the same thing, but bigger," she wrote.

When pressed on these specific allegations, Sanders shot back: "I'll let the people decide."

gently caress them up bernie

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Because before the primary, no one had ever thought to throw shade on Clinton's character. Yep, if not for Bernie's pernicious innuendo, Trump would have been helpless to make any attacks against her during the general.

This is a thing believed by very smart people who are excellent at winning elections.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Falstaff posted:

Because before the primary, no one had ever thought to throw shade on Clinton's character. Yep, if not for Bernie's pernicious innuendo, Trump would have been helpless to make any attacks against her during the general.

This is a thing believed by very smart people who are excellent at winning elections.

Their argument is probably that Bernie gave cover to progressives to buy into all the old propaganda and spread it to young people.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Its funny, they called Bernie Bros a cult obsessed with the primaries still, yet the Left is the one that's actually doing stuff on the ground level while HRC and her supporters keep wallowing in misery griping about how bad everyone else is. They're trash people.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

"Copying her ideas and super-sizing them"?

Uh, correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't he been pushing basically this entire line for a good twenty years before she was even a Senator, much less running for POTUS? :raise:

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

haha thats not even "firing back" lol, he's shrugging her off like a boss

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Bernie criticized Hillary's public record. Hillary started lying that Bernie and everybody who supported him was a white, racist and sexist broseph. Truly Bernie is the evil one here.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Of course, that crap isn't new. During the primary itself Sanders had to tweet the following when Hillary attacked him saying he never did anything for single payer:

https://twitter.com/BernieSanders/status/687317650658189312/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

joepinetree posted:

Of course, that crap isn't new. During the primary itself Sanders had to tweet the following when Hillary attacked him saying he never did anything for single payer:

https://twitter.com/BernieSanders/status/687317650658189312/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

"Thanks for Trump, Bernie." :arghfist::saddowns:

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

LOGIC AND COMMON SENSE? YOU AIN'T GET THAT FROM ME!

Cerebral Bore posted:

That's kind of my point. Yong people overall broke for Bernie, older people overall broke for Hillary. Taking into account the self-selecting nature of the primary electorate and the overrepresentation of older black voters in it, it's kinda questionable to draw strong conclusions about the appeal of the candidates among the wider black community, especially when polling showed that a large majority of black voters would be happy with either one.

Not that this will ever stop the hillfolk from claiming that black people totally hated Bernie/the left in general and will do so forever, of course.

Sorry this is a long ways back in the thread but what specifically about the primary process would cause there to be an over representation of black voters? Is it due to the registration rules or something?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

3 guesses who made this image and why

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

TrixR4kids posted:

Sorry this is a long ways back in the thread but what specifically about the primary process would cause there to be an over representation of black voters? Is it due to the registration rules or something?

I think that the point was that older black voters are over represented. Primary voters are substantially older than general election voters. A full 61% of DEM primary voters were 45 or older.
Sanders and Clinton almost evenly split the young PoC vote in the primaries, and Clinton won the older PoC vote. Due to the demographics, it made it seem like that Clinton's edge was larger than it was among the general population.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Condiv posted:

3 guesses who made this image and why

Some unfathomable piece of poo poo who is as we speak smugly declaring that "identity politics" are why Trump won.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/PhilipRucker/status/905236180391878656

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

:eyepop:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
This just in: representatives from conservative states... are conservative?

Maybe the problem isn't the representatives.

^ are you taking quotes from my extended family now Condiv?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Oh no, I agree, but I think it is going to be a slower walk than many here would want. It will need to be done over a few election cycles, and will not be something that is attainable by 2020. It is going to take some crazy good intentions on the part of the DNC to win people's trust, and I think we all know that it is too easy to rely on corporate cash. Any sign of DNC backing away from moving left is going to cause even more upheaval in the party.

Lets just say I am not hopeful that things will go smoothly.

Except you don't have the time to wait and slowly assume control. There's already been significant blows dealt to the presumptuous DNC voter base, who knows what will be left after 7.5 more years of Trump and another round of GOP gerrymandering, which may or may not be upheld by the courts but will have a lasting impact regardless.

The Tea Party overtook the GOP in 2010 and were fully entrenched by 2012 and effectively won the presidency in 2016. Doing anything longer than that cycle and you're going to run out of time.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Lightning Knight posted:

Some unfathomable piece of poo poo who is as we speak smugly declaring that "identity politics" are why Trump won.

hmm, kinda. i doubt they'd out and say identity politics are why trump won though.

answer: the third way made these :shepface:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Condiv posted:

hmm, kinda. i doubt they'd out and say identity politics are why trump won though.

answer: the third way made these :shepface:

Those are essentially just how most people in my family talk about politics, really. It's not an inaccurate portrayal of the level of discourse among middle aged and older Midwestern people.

By "third way" do you mean that dumb PAC that popped up last month?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

I buy my groceries with a credit card. gently caress you if you ain't got that cash back card pay with paper like a chump.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Lightning Knight posted:

Those are essentially just how most people in my family talk about politics, really. It's not an inaccurate portrayal of the level of discourse among middle aged and older Midwestern people.

By "third way" do you mean that dumb PAC that popped up last month?

no, the third way think tank

:lol:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I'm not sure what those images are meant to get at out of context.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Motto posted:

I'm not sure what those images are meant to get at out of context.

wegottagetmoreracist.jpg

The implication is that swinging right on social issues will win back the Midwest.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

here's the article if you missed my link

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

it's worse than just swinging right on social issues. the third way thinks we can become "the party of jobs" by handing out tax credits like candy to big businesses

tax credits for bringing jobs back (isn't this trump's plan :lol:), tax credits for job retraining, etc.

it's trickle down welfare!

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
The democrats just made a big win against the Republicans today. In just three hours, they got Trump to agree to limiting the debt ceiling increase to only three months. Why is this a big win for the democrats? Why are republicans furious? This means that now, from today to April 15th (as the treasury can take emergency action until then) Congress can now negotiate on the debt ceiling and not the Republicans legislative agenda. The democrats have hinted they plan to use this as a noose to force Republicans to sign on for everything to avoid a government shutdown in April: DACA as law, obamacare financial protections, etc.

To put this in simpler terms, Trump, THE MASTER NEGOTIATOR!!!, just traded away 6 months of his legislative agenda for...nothing. Absolutely nothing. He just hosed his entire agenda until April 15th for no gain whatsoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Zoro posted:

The democrats just made a big win against the Republicans today. In just three hours, they got Trump to agree to limiting the debt ceiling increase to only three months. Why is this a big win for the democrats? Why are republicans furious? This means that now, from today to April 15th (as the treasury can take emergency action until then) Congress can now negotiate on the debt ceiling and not the Republicans legislative agenda. The democrats have hinted they plan to use this as a noose to force Republicans to sign on for everything to avoid a government shutdown in April: DACA as law, obamacare financial protections, etc.

To put this in simpler terms, Trump, THE MASTER NEGOTIATOR!!!, just traded away 6 months of his legislative agenda for...nothing. Absolutely nothing. He just hosed his entire agenda until April 15th for no gain whatsoever.

And if anyone but the masters of fail was on the other side of the aisle this would be a joyful occasion.

• Locked thread