Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

turns out whedon spent 15 years cheating on his wife with significantly younger actresses that he may or may not have been pressuring into loving him by using his power as a director, and when he finally told his wife about it he blamed it on patriarchy

Hmm i wonder who he hosed on buffy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Retroblique posted:

My guess is that Johnson just showed a rough cut of TLJ to Disney and Lucasfilm execs and it was received well enough that they've now decided that it's imperative they continue more along the lines of Johnson's vision than risk diluting/undoing all that with whatever artistic direction Trevorrow was planning to deliver. Not that they necessarily want to bring Johnson back to write/direct IX (although I've got a feeling that's now on the cards), but at least bring someone on board who's closer to his artistic sensibilities, because they're clearly no longer seeing that as a possibility with Trevorrow on board.

Or, they watched Book of Henry and realized he's loving horrible

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Spielberg just jettisoned himself as far from Disney as possible to go back to his old haunts on the Universal lot, lol if you think Star Wars without his best friend involved is ever going to get him to go near that studio with a twenty-foot pole ever again.

Disney might be the absolute worst any studio has ever treated him.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

The Cameo posted:

Spielberg just jettisoned himself as far from Disney as possible to go back to his old haunts on the Universal lot, lol if you think Star Wars without his best friend involved is ever going to get him to go near that studio with a twenty-foot pole ever again.

What's the beef between Spielberg and Disney?

I agree he wouldn't do it, because of Lucas, but I don't know what Disney did to Spielberg.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

The Cameo posted:

Spielberg is directing Indiana Jones 5 for them next year... I mean Lucas is executive producing again, but I don't see him really playing a large part in it.

Teek fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Sep 6, 2017

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Teek posted:

Spielberg is directing Indiana Jones 5 for them next year... I mean Lucas is executive producing again, but I don't see him really playing a large part in it.

given this was the arrangement for indy 4 and Spielberg more or less just did what George wanted, don't get your hopes up unless Disney intervenes hard. If they leave those two alone expect a shitload more low quality cgi jungle chases and nuke proof refrigerators

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

basic hitler posted:

If they leave those two alone expect a shitload more low quality cgi jungle chases and nuke proof refrigerators

Half of those things were good.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

George Lucas is not involved with Indy 5.

https://consequenceofsound.net/2016/10/george-lucas-wont-be-involved-in-indiana-jones-5/

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

thrawn527 posted:

I agree he wouldn't do it, because of Lucas, but I don't know what Disney did to Spielberg.

The only thing that comes to mind is some speculation I recall reading that there was some lingering bad blood from how Disney torpedoed an already agreed-to licensing agreement between DreamWorks Animation and Hasbro, and then some feelings last year that Disney totally botched the marketing on The BFG, later planting some stories in the trades about it essentially flopping and requiring a huge write-down.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

thrawn527 posted:

He was shopping Dreamworks to studios for partnerships - since Dreamworks today is a weird thing that’s between a vanity shingle for Spielberg and an actual, full studio itself - and Disney managed to convince him to sign a deal with them on the idea that they would make Touchstone and Dreamworks highly interconnected, revitalizing their old “grown up movies” brand under the supervision of the second most successful director in history. And hey, Spielberg appreciates cinema history like few others, and the idea of having Walt Disney Pictures present a Steven Spielberg Film was enticing as well.

So they make the deal.

Disney never really commits to it. They basically shove Spielberg aside as they push the recently-acquired Marvel and then buy Lucasfilm. The Touchstone thing never really takes off, as Disney just undersells things like War Horse and Lincoln and doesn’t even want to drop very much on the budgets themselves. Spielberg ends up having to bring other studios in just to get stuff going - Fox jumps on this and we get Lincoln and Bridge of Spies from it. By the time The BFG is being made, the relationship is pretty rotten, and I can imagine that Disney promoting The BFG as Disney’s The BFG instead of Steven Spielberg’s was the “gently caress this, I’m out” moment for him. He was promised the world and got treated like a run of the mill hack.

So his old home for like twenty years - Universal - reaches out to him, points out the Amblin offices are in as good a shape as they’ve always been, and he’s always welcome to hunker down there again. And Spielberg jumps at the chance to end his career in the place where he began it, sneaking onto the lot using a hat and an empty briefcase to trick the security guard at the gate one summer, long ago.

But first, Warners was 100% ready to go on Ready Player One, and Village Roadshow had the money on hand to co-produce, so he made a stopover with what could be considered the “cousin’s house” of his career (as most of the Amblin productions he didn’t direct himself were WB pictures), so here we are with what looks like him elevating a complete poo poo book to something that’ll be between “a lot of fun” to “how did he make it actually good, I can’t believe it”.

And then maybe he’ll do Indy 5, which is likely as much loyalty to the character and Harrison as anything else. But Spielberg attaches himself to a lot of things that never pan out (Robopocalypse was like 90% of the way to a green light and it just stalled and died and Bridge of Spies came into existence instead), and I can only imagine that Kat Kennedy is going to be running so much interference between the studio and production (if it makes it there) that she might as well get a producer’s credit on it.

Which would be funny, because she rose up to head one of the foundational supports of the entire modern studio system (consider what Lucasfilm as a suite of smaller companies consists of), and like her fourth or fifth movie as the head of that company would put her back to what she did most of her career - keep the studio off Steven’s back so he can make the movie he wants to make.

But Disney sure as hell isn’t going to want to stay back on something as big as a Star Wars mainline movie. And that would be the deal-breaker, I imagine.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Your posts are always good as hell.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

LesterGroans posted:

Your posts are always good as hell.

Agreed, that was great. Thanks Cameo for the write up.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Half the fun of Hollywood is the stupid bullshit that happens because it’s still a business. Like getting a guy who has had some of the living legends of the town at his beck and call and being like “meh” with him because they bought things that came with ready-made toys to sell.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

The Cameo posted:

where he began it, sneaking onto the lot using a hat and an empty briefcase to trick the security guard at the gate one summer, long ago.

Decided to look this up because it sounded like a potentially cool story but http://www.snopes.com/movies/other/spielberg.asp

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Yeah, but “I snuck onto the lot and found an empty office where I pretended I worked there for three months” is a much better “how I started” story than “I did boring poo poo on the lot for two summers before I went to college and eventually came back”.

I mean, I’ll put it this way: when he dies and Universal basically turns the backlot tour into a biography of Steven’s life, they’re not gonna use the real story of how he got on the lot. Even they know the legend is much, much better.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
We have another big ship, and it's the Executor scaled 10x on the y-axis

And a Mon Cal ship

Captain Splendid fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Sep 11, 2017

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
The Mon Cal cruiser is named after the Mon Calimari dude who died at the end of Rogue One. That's kinda neat I suppose. The ship is fine.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Wide triangle is a nice visual distinction while clearly being in the family of evil triangles.

I'm kind of bothered it's bigger for no reason though

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

ShineDog posted:

Wide triangle is a nice visual distinction while clearly being in the family of evil triangles.

I'm kind of bothered it's bigger for no reason though

In one of the other lore bits it says it's basically a mobile shipyard and HQ for the First Order.

So, think "mobile capital" or something like that.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Captain Splendid posted:

In one of the other lore bits it says it's basically a mobile shipyard and HQ for the First Order.

So, think "mobile capital" or something like that.

I could be ok with that if they show that. Instead of it just showing up being a giant ship for no reason.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Not be pedantic (okay I'm being pedantic) but wouldn't the logistics of keeping a mobile shipyard supplied with materials be way more effort than it's worth? Presumably you keep the platform mobile for security reasons but without a constant stream of civilian craft to keep it's foundries supplied it's not accomplishing either role.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Demiurge4 posted:

Not be pedantic (okay I'm being pedantic) but wouldn't the logistics of keeping a mobile shipyard supplied with materials be way more effort than it's worth? Presumably you keep the platform mobile for security reasons but without a constant stream of civilian craft to keep it's foundries supplied it's not accomplishing either role.

Nah, you drive it to the resources. The Death Star was pretty mobile, I'd guess this thing is too.

What really bugs me about the design is the lighting and greebling - the top side looks really dull. Then again, the Executor looks pretty bad under flat lighting too but Empire shoots it gorgeously.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Demiurge4 posted:

Star Wars isn't real

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Demiurge4 posted:

The logistics of secretly financing a gutted planet renovated into an uber death star nobody anticipated is already dumb. It would be like a country on present day Earth building a bigger military / nuclear / space apparatus than the US without anyone knowing. It would be incredibly obvious and detectable through many, many means. The moral is to just go with it and allow this as part of the fantasy of the new trilogy. It's an interesting move compared to the OT and the PT where money seemed to matter re: trade disputes and the rebel alliance being scrappy poorly funded paramilitaries.

More succinctly put:

homullus posted:

Star Wars isn't real

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Captain Splendid posted:

And a Mon Cal ship

I still can't tell if these are bad designs or if they're just being shot in the most unflaterring way. The wide Star Destroyer is kind of cool but the Mon Cal ship is just...

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
They're early 90s quality renderings, it's incredibly unflattering.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Yeah, well, I'm hoping we get early 90s CGI in this movie. :colbert:

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
oh my god that B-2 ship looks loving hilariously bad. this is like space balls 2.

Seriously this is essentially another death star but shaped like a boomerang. It's lazy.

The Executor was just a big capital ship. It wasn't the main battle-station or w/e. I have a feeling we're going to get a death star in every single movie from here on out. Hopefully I'm wrong and this thing will just blow me away despite all of the goofy poo poo that's come out.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Captain Splendid posted:

If this flew so the longest side was vertical it'd be pretty neat.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Milky Moor posted:

I still can't tell if these are bad designs or if they're just being shot in the most unflaterring way. The wide Star Destroyer is kind of cool but the Mon Cal ship is just...

Looks like an optical illusion.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Szmitten posted:

If this flew so the longest side was vertical it'd be pretty neat.

You do realize there is no up or down in space, right?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

TheMaestroso posted:

There is in Star Wars, because Star Wars isn't real

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

TheMaestroso posted:

It probably matters some if you're on said ship, homes.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheMaestroso posted:

Within the framing of ship to ship combat in Star Wars, there is almost always a clear up/down axis.

What Szmitten is suggesting is that the ship be lengthwise vertically against the near entirety of ships that are horizontally flattened out, and I agree it'd be interesting to see the ships we're familiar with try to navigate that geometry.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Zeris posted:

The logistics of secretly financing a gutted planet renovated into an uber death star nobody anticipated is already dumb. It would be like a country on present day Earth building a bigger military / nuclear / space apparatus than the US without anyone knowing. It would be incredibly obvious and detectable through many, many means. The moral is to just go with it and allow this as part of the fantasy of the new trilogy. It's an interesting move compared to the OT and the PT where money seemed to matter re: trade disputes and the rebel alliance being scrappy poorly funded paramilitaries.

Money always matters.

More specifically, labour always matters:

"This fierce machine which you have built, upon which we stand...."

In these films, there is always the question of who sweeps the floors. And they've specifically pointed out that FN is a janitor. The scale is fantastical, but the concept is straightforwardly of an entire nation united under a 'totalitarian' leader and directing all their energies towards one purpose.

Where the film falls apart is in the specifics. It's absolutely unclear what sort of totalitarians the baddies are. They are generically totalitarian, commu-nazi computer gods - the sort of omnipotent brainwashers who only exist in paranoid fantasy. The First Order are a David Icke hallucination.

Moreover, you have a mismatch between the imagery and the ostensible narrative. We are told that the baddies control half the galaxy, but we are shown that their nation is an underpopulated rock in the rear end-end of space. And it gets blown up at the end of the film. This is why the most common interpretation of TFA is, understandably, that the First Order are a bunch of cosplay losers out of touch with the status quo - mentally ill spree killers who are only dangerous insofar as they have access to firearms. They're dumb and so goddamn crazy, but a nuisance. Not a real threat.

It's because the design is bad. They didn't build the superweapon without anyone knowing about it. They control half the galaxy. Everybody knew about it. FN knew about it and didn't bother to tell anyone, even though he worked there. Everybody knew, but nobody cared. Even when the attack hit, it was met with a shrug.

TFA takes place in a universe where the deaths of billions are common enough to barely merit a report in the nightly news, and the concept of work is alien.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The first order is north korea cosplaying as nazis

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
It doesn't really even tell you they control half the galaxy, just that they are dangerous. I think in the nebulous new canon they don't control much of the galaxy, but have a big fleet where the republic doesnt. All stuff apparently filmed and then dumped.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
TFA is boring movie.

There I said it, enjoy my edgy opinion.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Taintrunner posted:

What Szmitten is suggesting is that the ship be lengthwise vertically against the near entirety of ships that are horizontally flattened out, and I agree it'd be interesting to see the ships we're familiar with try to navigate that geometry.

They would navigate that geometry by just spinning 90 degrees. It really isn't as exciting as you seem to think it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheMaestroso posted:

They would navigate that geometry by just spinning 90 degrees. It really isn't as exciting as you seem to think it is.

Again, you're thinking logically. The problem is that applying any sort of reality to cinematic space combat would be utterly boring and nigh unwatchable, because the sheer volume of space is so large that weapons would be fired from such a distance before you could even see the enemy. Within the confines of Star Wars, the filmmaker can come up with whatever rules they please as long as they don't break the suspension of disbelief and take the audience out of the movie. By having the behemoth of a vertical Star Destroyer bleeding past both edges of the frame, stretching out seemingly infinitely, contrasted against a typical Rebel fleet as we've seen in previous films, you could show the scale and the power of the First Order in contrast to our heroes, spaced out and constrained by the confines of the frame. Obligatiory Homeworld screenshot:

• Locked thread