Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

A lot of these guys don't even know they're on steroids. They just drink the protein smoothie their "nutritionist" gives them without ever knowing what's inside.

Do...do you know how steroids work?

It's not some magic pixie dust you sprinkle over your ice cream to make you buff. At the bare minimum we're talking about 3-4 various substances to enhance muscle building and fat burning, and to counteract negative side effects , and these need to be taken either as pills (which is unwise, partially because they are less effective , and damage liver) or injections.

It cannot be taken in a loving smoothie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Guys I think Marky Mark is clean because he's nice to kids.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

The Dave posted:

Guys I think Marky Mark is clean because he's nice to kids.

Well yeah steroid dudes are angry all the time

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I'm friends with guys that did the bodybuilding circuit and, yeah, a lot of the conceptions of how steroids work and act by the public is...weird. Even the meaness and ball shrinkage are not universal. And they mostly just mean "your muscles heal faster so you can work out more." While I'd have to wait a day or two to work on bicepts again due to having to wait for them to heal from the last time I worked on them, depending on the roids, a friend could work on them the next day.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

McCloud posted:

It's not some magic pixie dust you sprinkle over your ice cream to make you buff. At the bare minimum we're talking about 3-4 various substances to enhance muscle building and fat burning, and to counteract negative side effects , and these need to be taken either as pills (which is unwise, partially because they are less effective , and damage liver) or injections.

What if you crush up the pills and throw them in a smoothie? :colbert:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They'd lose a lot of effectiveness

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
So you're saying its possible!

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Problem is that alot of the publics knowledge of steroids spring from anti-drug PSA's that where insanely hyperbolic. In addition to that, there's a big difference to how people abused steroids in the 80s-90's compared to today. Back then, most people didn't really have a readily available source of knowledge (internet) and just winged it, with predictably disastrous consequences. These days anyone can look up recommended dosages, what stuff goes well together, what you should avoid, and what you should take/do to avoid side effects (including gyno and ball shrinkage).

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Guys, Ben is DEFINITELY on the juice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBbAiS9ccF4

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Cage posted:

What if you crush up the pills and throw them in a smoothie? :colbert:

It's been a while since my pharmacology classes but if i recall, some pills are designed to dissolve in acid, others have a protective film that protects it until it passes the gastric acid and dissolves in the intestines, where it will dissolve into the bloodstream and then pass the liver, where a significant portion will be cleared out by the liver. I would assume that the steroids would be rendered inert by the stomach acid if you blended it into a smoothie.
This is why injection is better than pills, because it skips that first pass to the liver, allowing more of the substance to affect the muscles.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

McCloud posted:

I'm sure a lot of banned substances make their way into "supplements" because that industry is so poorly regulated, but yeah, not anabolic steroids.

OTOH maybe "I accidentally took a banned substance in a nutritional supplement and it's my coach's fault" is just an excuse athletes use.

bring back old gbs posted:

Probably not but nobody cares when actors do it. so every actor gets super jacked all the time like its no big deal. RDJ did like 15 years of straight drugs then turns around and gets pretty jacked for iron man. Chris Evans crazy synthol pecs in the first Captain America. Hugh Jackman is like 50 and still a huge jacked man. Chris Pratt bla bla. Just lmao if you don't think Ben Affleck is on something. I will hear no ill spoken of Ryan Reynolds but suffice to say every single other actor has some sort of training assistance.

Burkion posted:

Arnold really gave the game away years ago when he revealed that yeah, of course they all did enhancement stuff to keep in shape.

You physically cannot maintain a super jacked body like that otherwise for any real length of time. People have really weird ideas about how the body works.
Reynolds talked on the DVD commentary and in interviews how he got in shape for Blade 3: working out for hours a day with trainers planning every rep and every calorie. I'm sure some action stars are doing steroids, but it's surprising what you can do when you have that level of support. (He also said that he completely let himself go after filming ended. A friend complimented him over dinner after seeing the movie on opening day, and he pulled up his shirt to let his gut hang out.)

I know a film professor who goes to Sundance every year. He says the men all look terrible because they let themselves go when they're not filming, but the women stay in shape all the time because of double standards and not being able to hide it under a suit.

quote:

Breasts are the same way.
Imagine four breasts on the edge of a cliff...

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 6, 2017

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Can you imagine what you could get done when literally your multi-million dollar full-time job is to get as fit as possible with a functionally unlimited budget and several people who are dedicated to getting you there, planning everything out, and taking care of everything other than actually doing the work?

I am sure there's often some "medical assistance" but ffs, you're getting $$$$$$$$$ to get in shape and go to the gym twice a day and eat what you're told.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Darko posted:

And they mostly just mean "your muscles heal faster so you can work out more."

Well, sometimes. An untrained person taking steroids and not working out will gain more muscle than a an untrained person working out and not taking steroids.

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM199607043350101

But when we talk about "steroids" we're talking about a bunch of potential different things.

All you need to know is that some of these actors are dosing but not as many and not as much as you might think, because they have nutritionists and trainers and programs and all that good stuff, and also all of the real "look at my bod" scenes are done over a small timetable, they aren't walking around like that normally.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah, starvation and especially forced dehydration is the secret to every shot of an actors abs you've ever seen. You can even try it at home from the comfort of your living room if you're in good shape.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

MiddleOne posted:

Yeah, starvation and especially forced dehydration is the secret to every shot of an actors abs you've ever seen. You can even try it at home from the comfort of your living room if you're in good shape.

Hemorrhoid cream on abs is the magazine cover secret. Dries the area right out.

Also lighting, photoshop and tren.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I think part of it is that people don't want to believe that it's even possible to look like that, to tune your human machine to such a tolerance, without drugs. Well, you can - but you literally have to have no day job, good genetics, be under 40, have the best trainers and chefs and nutritionists in the world, as be given millions in cash incentives. In other words, down here in the realm of Mere Mortals, you need 'roids. They don't...necessarily.

BTW if I seem a bit strident it's because my brother did natural bodybuilding and got accused of roids even though he didn't....he looked 90% like these guys. And do you know how he did it? He worked as a bartender for 20 hours a week, never drank, and did 2 workouts a day for about 3 hours. He made his own food and did his own nutrition. I'm sure if he had a staff he could have gone over the top and gotten that last 10%.

P.S.: he eventually broke down and did steroids. Now I have more hair than him even though I'm older. LOL

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Lol, that's some twist.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I don't care how good Affleck's nutritionist is or how much free time he supposedly has, a 45 year old man doesn't drink as much as he does and look like Batman without some chemical help.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Lol, that's some twist.

No joke a few days after he started juicing I came down to see him, we saw Fast Five we went to In and Out. He ate three Double Doubles while hollering "I feel GREAT!!!!" A year later he had big-time Golden Arches (tan white guy hair peninsula)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Maybe I'm just projecting but anyone who loudly says "I feel GREAT!" should probably be on suicide watch or something.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Burkion posted:

Breasts are the same way. People seem to think that you look a certain way no matter what if you just do X or Y, and never realize that ANY variation, not even in something you are purposely doing, can make your body fluctuate wildly. Half a year you could have perky, full breasts. The other half, flat hanging sad things.

Uh, okay, what? Can you explain this? My body is ready for my mind to be blown.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

sassassin posted:

I don't care how good Affleck's nutritionist is or how much free time he supposedly has, a 45 year old man doesn't drink as much as he does and look like Batman without some chemical help.

He had a body double.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Uh, okay, what? Can you explain this? My body is ready for my mind to be blown.

https://www.phaa.com/changes-in-breast-size-different-reasons-and-causes.htm

Long story short, do not think of the human body as this set Thing. We're not statues who get a design that we stick with.

We're sacks of fat and water and we change accordingly and some times at random.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
You can look better than the lesser Chris or Blade 3 Reynolds with just a couple of hours in the gym (or even at home with minimal equipment) 2~4 times a week and a reasonable diet. You can even eat the occasional pizza and beer!

Cavill and co. are pretty massive so that would require more effort, but still achievable if you're motivated.

Please workout, goons.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

sassassin posted:

Eh. Booze is nothing but calories.

At some stage I'd you work out enough and burn the extra calories you can drink or eat p much whatever you want.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Maybe I'm just projecting but anyone who loudly says "I feel GREAT!" should probably be on suicide watch or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj3dwt3JrAc&t=7s

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

People clown on Hillary a lot but I really liked this fuckin grandma couch upholstery she was wearing. She should've done more stuff like this.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Someone called her new author photo straight out of Tattooine, I like it. She should dress like an old bohemian aunt, it suits her.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6rE0EakhG8

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Someone called her new author photo straight out of Tattooine, I like it. She should dress like an old bohemian aunt, it suits her.

She has some tight looks, I don't know whose idea it was to turn her into a less matronly Angela Merkel.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

:stare:

I ... I've worked in marketing for twelve years and I've never seen anything like this.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Now I know where that gif of the bug-eyed snarling woman comes from.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Halloween Jack posted:

Now I know where that gif of the bug-eyed snarling woman comes from.

That's always a good feeling.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Dexo posted:

Eh. Booze is nothing but calories.

At some stage I'd you work out enough and burn the extra calories you can drink or eat p much whatever you want.

I challenge you to try this and post the results.

Alcohol inhibits recovery and fucks up your hormones with constant Affleck-level abuse (ask any of SA's resident alcoholics). It's not just more calories.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

I hadn't watched this in a decade, but now I've finally just realized who Rachel Bloom has always reminded me of.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Timby posted:

:stare:

I ... I've worked in marketing for twelve years and I've never seen anything like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHDfWPKtPBo

Done by the same people.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

sassassin posted:

I challenge you to try this and post the results.

Alcohol inhibits recovery and fucks up your hormones with constant Affleck-level abuse (ask any of SA's resident alcoholics). It's not just more calories.

oh he's a full on alcoholic?

welp.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkagpLGYAJo

The superior one

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

He looked like he was out for revenge/validation when his brother won the Oscar and he pulled him in to say congrats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Burkion posted:

Half a year you could have perky, full breasts.

gently caress, why have I been worrying about my arms and back this whole time?

• Locked thread