Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
I think carbon creek might be my favorite enterprise episode so far. speaking of vulcans i mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Arglebargle III posted:

What would alternate reality TV Star Trek look like?

Maybe we'll find out when The Orville comes around.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

VitalSigns posted:

I feel bad saying this because I met Grace Lee Whitney and she was such a sweet and lovely woman, but her acting in Flashback is so bad it's distracting, like sub-Jennifer Sisko levels. I thought she was a professional actress.

George Takei is pretty loving bad too though, maybe you just don't notice their horrible acting in TOS because next to Shatner everyone else seems normal.

Bad acting can more often be a sign of bad direction and too few takes. I've seen semi-accomplished actors in Asylum productions that seemed worse than your average high school play actor. It's almost always down to minimal direction and a very few number of takes.

In this case, especially for Takei, I would imagine they only had the budget for him to be there a handful of hours, so the shoot was likely very rapid pace.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
They were also coming back to their characters after a substantial hiatus, and probably didn't have as much prep time as they did on ST6. Contrast with TOS or the movies where they were working with those characters all day every day for some time.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

I think it would be cool if there were just empty decks of the ship where there aren't any walls yet. And it's just a giant beige carpeted warehouse.
It's fabric, so it'd absorb the classic "Hello?" - oh? - oh? oh? oh? oh? effect. Your voice soaks into the textile, strained through crushing stillness only to crash unpleasantly around the distant bulkheads. The alkaline stink of freshly-laid carpet - micro-shampooed nightly by the skutters - attacks your sinuses like acid. There is nothing here but friction burn. You are alone, and unwelcome; a pink stain in the beige wilderness.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Marshal Radisic posted:

They also completely change their makeup because the Paramount executives didn't like the idea of sticking a rubber forehead on Terry Farrell, so in all subsequent appearances they just have little spots that follow the hairline down the sides of the head to the shoulders.

They tried, and discovered that Farrell was allergic to the prosthetics glue- in the later episode where they impersonate Klingons, they didn't take Dax even though she'd be perfect for the mission, because the full head probably would have killed Terry Farrell. Since the TNG Trill forehead looked terrible on her anyway, they decided to go with the spots because those looked good on Famke and they didn't really have time to design anything new.

She's also allergic to sunlight which couldn't have been good for her modeling career.

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Sep 6, 2017

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

spincube posted:

It's fabric, so it'd absorb the classic "Hello?" - oh? - oh? oh? oh? oh? effect. Your voice soaks into the textile, strained through crushing stillness only to crash unpleasantly around the distant bulkheads. The alkaline stink of freshly-laid carpet - micro-shampooed nightly by the skutters - attacks your sinuses like acid. There is nothing here but friction burn. You are alone, and unwelcome; a pink stain in the beige wilderness.

> GO WEST

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FuturePastNow posted:

Since the TNG Trill forehead looked terrible on her anyway, they decided to go with the spots because those looked good on Famke and they didn't really have time to design anything new.

I'd completely forgotten that Famke Janssen was on TNG so I looked it up and realise that "The Perfect Mate" is one of the episodes I have almost no memory of whatsoever. :(

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

CPColin posted:

> GO WEST

THERE IS AN ANDROID THERE

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

He wearing a brown tunic, and he has grey hair, and blue eyes...

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

HE IS FULLY FUNCTIONAL

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Bloop posted:

He wearing a brown tunic, and he has grey hair, and blue eyes...

No, I don't, I have grey eyes.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Watching The Mind's Eye. I think Geordi just said he's gonna be visiting the sex planet. Could he actually get laid? I mean he's the ultimate incel to Picard's ultimate volcel.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Jeez

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

My first thought was they'd try to blow him up but beaming him onboard as prisoner does make more sense.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Picard sticking up for Worf, that's nice. But the Romulans are unbelievably evil for taking away Geordi's one chance like this.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

... Geordi's imposter replacement doesn't look like him

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

THEY'RE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATING HIM

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

To be...or not....to be...

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

That was seriously one of the most hosed up scenes in the show.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

With the surgical abilities in trek you'd think they'd have been able to make a pretty perfect geordi doppleganger. It's not like there wouldn't be holophotos and security footage and stuff from where even it was he was supposed to go.
ALso I love the carpeted walls in the shuttles, it's such late 80's RV upholstery looking.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

For a second I thought the Romulan meant he wanted Geordi to kill O'Brien in real life and not the simulation

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Lol the way the sim people don't react to O'Brien getting murdered

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

So they gave Geordi fake memories of getting laid. What a world.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Lol the way the sim people don't react to O'Brien getting murdered

It shows the shocking levels of perfect intelligence the Romulans had to have correctly simulated this.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Was the federation really arming rebels? I guess some things never change

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Baronjutter posted:

With the surgical abilities in trek you'd think they'd have been able to make a pretty perfect geordi doppleganger. It's not like there wouldn't be holophotos and security footage and stuff from where even it was he was supposed to go.

Sure, that's how the Cardassians would do it, to a terrifying level of physical and psychological accuracy. The Romulans will half-rear end it on purpose, so they can be smug about how no one noticed the swap.

:thejoke: I am a new-VISOR-wearing.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

So Picard knows Klingon, or at least the swears

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

>Geordi has "something he needs to take care of"
>Immediate next scene is Ten-Forward with O'Brien in the foreground

Good god

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

vermin posted:

So, Troi's body got violated, she got to be a mother, and then her child committed suicide.
but enough about Death Wish

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

So I'm guessing spilling the drink on O'Brien was "practice" or something.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Jeb! Repetition posted:

>Geordi has "something he needs to take care of"
>Immediate next scene is Ten-Forward with O'Brien in the foreground

Good god

Yeah, it's a really good episode actually. TNG doesn't do creepy/unsettling often but when they do they do it pretty well and I wish they had done more.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Data just said "directional vector" which I think is redundant

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

This is the first time they've really pulled of the thriller feeling with a Romulan intrigue plot. I like how the only one good enough to catch Geordi might be Geordi.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Oh poo poo it's a shot of the good ambassador by himself enjoying eating, that means he's gonna loving die

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH HE'S A TRAITOR

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I can't tell if Geordi just had a moment of lucidity and tried to tell O'Brien or this is another residual effect of him killing O'Brien but either way it's creepy.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Data just got a big clue and I'm anxious to see what he's gonna do with it. This is actually intense

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

My heart's pounding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Crisis averted but the way Geordi says "but I remember everything" so desperately is disturbing