Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Season 3 of Narcos might be the best yet. I'm not done with it yet but I really like it so far. Definitely feels tonally different from the first two. It's a little less HBO style sleaze and more straight crime/cops. Pedro Pascals role is strange. He's kind of the main character but he's also not really the focus at all, where he serves mostly as a narrator. Jorge is a really good character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

veni veni veni posted:

Was season 2 as unwatchable as people made it out to be? I still haven't got around to watching it, but I'd give it a chance if it was half as entertaining as the first season.

Straight basura. The only thing good about it was Taylor Kitsch.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

I'm probably dumb but I was physically angry about season 2 of True Detective even existing after I watched it. It was just so drat bland compared to season 1.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Another one for Narcos (S3). It owned.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Accretionist posted:

I didn't finish S2. It was very bad. Turns out, S1's magic was 50% plagiarism and 50% that really great director.

What did S1 plagiarize?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Sand Monster posted:

What did S1 plagiarize?

The Collected Works Of Alan Moore, specifically a few things from the series Top 10.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Sand Monster posted:

What did S1 plagiarize?
"Thomas Ligotti and others" according to this site.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The Collected Works Of Alan Moore, specifically a few things from the series Top 10.

And also apparently a horror writer named Thomas Ligotti.

I don't really mind the above, since even with some direct ideas lifted the performance is way more important to carrying those scenes. The Top 10 thing feels way more blatant

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

morestuff posted:

I don't really mind the above, since even with some direct ideas lifted the performance is way more important to carrying those scenes. The Top 10 thing feels way more blatant

Yeah, agreed. The Conspiracy Against the Human Race is Thomas Ligotti trying to string together as many edgy ways to say consciousness sucks as possible. I'm not sure you could write a character like Rusty Cohle without landing on some similar phrasing. McConaughey's actual character comes from how that's deployed, much of it through the performance, as you say. The Top 10 bit is just straight stealing an important scene.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

morestuff posted:

And also apparently a horror writer named Thomas Ligotti.

The minor plot point of a synaesthetic detective is also arguably lifted from Top 10.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea I think the reason most people gave True Detective a pass is because when you watch it the performances are so obviously the thing that make it so compelling, not the actual words on the paper. Rust Cohle could be such a trite, unlikeable, even disingenuous character if not for everything that McConnahey brought to the role.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It didn't hurt that the first season had a very confident sense of humor.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

The minor plot point of a synaesthetic detective is also arguably lifted from Top 10.

It feels like Rust has a lot of Rorschach in his DNA but they're both playing around with the same archetype

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

morestuff posted:

It feels like Rust has a lot of Rorschach in his DNA but they're both playing around with the same archetype

Especially in the present day when he's working the case out of a storage unit. All that was definitely Rorschach/The Question.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

It didn't hurt that the first season had a very confident sense of humor.

This part was the biggest surprise for me.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
There's a lot of silly stuff in it, like all the ridiculous wigs, or Cohle's dialogue getting more and more inappropriate to the point where people just react to him like Dougie Jones.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

There's a lot of silly stuff in it, like all the ridiculous wigs, or Cohle's dialogue getting more and more inappropriate to the point where people just react to him like Dougie Jones.

Marty's wife give two rides

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Look man, you don't come over to my house and mow my lawn.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
All the various quips and exasperated looks that Marty gives Rust over the course of their partnership are the best.

Marty was just the best character in general, arguably better than Rust:

Marty: You know I've seen all the different types. We all fit a certain category. The bully... The charmer... The... uh... surrogate dad... the man possessed by ungovernable rage... the brain... and any of those types can be a good detective and any of those types can be an incompetent shitheel.

Detective Gilbough: Which type were you?

Marty: Oh, just a regular type dude... with a big rear end dick.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

The advantage season 2 had over 1 is that there was no voodoo magic bullshit.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

drunken officeparty posted:

The advantage season 2 had over 1 is that there was no voodoo magic bullshit.

There isn't any in 1 either.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I feel like Ligotti is too depressed to get angry about plagiarism

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I feel like Ligotti is too depressed to get angry about plagiarism

I have the idea that he would find it amusing.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Also what would he even do about it? The wording isn't the same, and it's not like you can copyright the idea that human consciousness is blight on the planet. You can't copyright nihilism.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
It's okay, Donnie. They're nihilists.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
I'm a little surprised nobody's posted about The Good Place yet. It's light, enjoyable fluff and Ted Danson is great in it. I've been surprised by all the sensible chuckles. Everything Disjointed fucks up horribly from a sitcom perspective, The Good Place gets right.

Janet owns, also.

E: i coulda sworn it was a netflix original, thus the tone of my post. It all makes sense now.

fishtobaskets fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Sep 6, 2017

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
People wouldn't shut up about The Good Place when it was airing so I finally sat down and watched it after it aired on Hulu and yeah it's really good. One of the better (not really a spoiler but eh just in case) twist endings I didn't see coming. And that's rare.

knows a black guy
Jun 18, 2005

fishtobaskets posted:

I'm a little surprised nobody's posted about The Good Place yet. It's light, enjoyable fluff and Ted Danson is great in it. I've been surprised by all the sensible chuckles. Everything Disjointed fucks up horribly from a sitcom perspective, The Good Place gets right.

Janet owns, also.

E: i coulda sworn it was a netflix original, thus the tone of my post. It all makes sense now.

Just watched through this over the weekend, and it was fantastic. Really looking forward to where it goes next.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

fishtobaskets posted:

Janet owns, also.

I'm actually rewatching it now as we speak. What started as a cute dismissable show, turned into one of the most brilliant shows of the last decade.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
"Hey, it's the perfect double date; two losers, a trashbag and a total demon!"

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

The Good Place has some solid jokes but all the sight gags are terrible and cheap-looking, I'm glad they mostly move away from them. It could be a great show if they do a small retool like Schur did after Parks + Rec season 1

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Accretionist posted:

Another one for Narcos (S3). It owned.

I was skeptical since Escobar is dead and his actor gives easily the best performance of anyone on the show but I'll check it out.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
THE TICK (Prime) - 9/10 for charismatically dumb action/adventure. I'm looking forward to S2.

PATRIOT (Prime) - 9/10 for being The Americans meets Burn After Reading. Also looking forward to S2.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I was skeptical since Escobar is dead and his actor gives easily the best performance of anyone on the show but I'll check it out.

I'm not loving it so far but I'm only 2 episodes in. The vacuum left by Escobar has not really been properly filled by anyone so it feels like a shell of its former self. So far I'm not overly impressed by the Cali Cartel guys who have been elevated from bit players to main characters.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Accretionist posted:

THE TICK (Prime) - 9/10 for charismatically dumb action/adventure. I'm looking forward to S2.
Luckily, since it's actually the back half of season one, we won't have to wait as long! First half of 2018 is the buzz, I think.

It took a few episodes to gain momenttum, but by the end of episode six I was a little bummed that it was over for now. Strangely, I think it was when we first meet Dangerboat that it really hit me. I found the juxtaposition between our "cartoon" heroes and Overkill to be a nice note, and Ms. Lint felt somewhat like a villain from the animated series, but there was something about a sentient AI boat making his own soundtrack in between mothering a psychopathic partner that hit peak wacky for me. I'll definitely be watching more when it lands.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Got around to watching We Need to Talk About Kevin on Netflix, and hot drat that is one gut punch of a movie. Tilda Swinton and Ezra Miller both had incredible performances.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

morestuff posted:

The Good Place has some solid jokes but all the sight gags are terrible and cheap-looking, I'm glad they mostly move away from them. It could be a great show if they do a small retool like Schur did after Parks + Rec season 1

Well, isn't that exactly what that twist ending does?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

I'm not loving it so far but I'm only 2 episodes in. The vacuum left by Escobar has not really been properly filled by anyone so it feels like a shell of its former self. So far I'm not overly impressed by the Cali Cartel guys who have been elevated from bit players to main characters.

This season is less about the cartel itself and more about a particular guy stuck in the middle of it.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
And Salcedo's a real guy, too. Still in witsec

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Luckily, since it's actually the back half of season one, we won't have to wait as long! First half of 2018 is the buzz, I think.

It took a few episodes to gain momenttum, but by the end of episode six I was a little bummed that it was over for now. Strangely, I think it was when we first meet Dangerboat that it really hit me. I found the juxtaposition between our "cartoon" heroes and Overkill to be a nice note, and Ms. Lint felt somewhat like a villain from the animated series, but there was something about a sentient AI boat making his own soundtrack in between mothering a psychopathic partner that hit peak wacky for me. I'll definitely be watching more when it lands.

This version of the Tick gives us an amazing quote that is in line with the Arthur of ye olden times yet also shows it's a more adult show It was like he was looking for some place to keep his knife and no place was good enough!