Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Hra Mormo posted:

Everything about the Ysayle/Estinien/Alphinaud/WOL party in Heavensward is loving gold. It's so gold it manages to be gold despite including Alphinaud and excluding Haurchefant.

That entire time I was waiting for Estinien and Ysayle to do it. My running theory is they made time for it off-camera while you were helping Alph gather firewood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

My hope with Alphinaud is that his time spent with Hien showed him how a leader needs to think about his people. Alphy's original problem was he thought everyone would fall over themselves to help him because he would genuinely fall over himself to help others, but Hien showed through example how a leader does that without the naivete and disastrous consequences (namely actually taking the time to listen to what people want instead of assuming they all want something.)

Plus, god drat is Hien a great character. I hope he shows up again after stormblood.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

I'm sure we'll see more of him as the story continues towards 5.0

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Heck, I'm sure he will show up where appropriate in the next expansion. They did it for Aymeric, after all.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There is like a 90% chance at some point in the upcoming patch expansions you're going to have to deal with Hien's dad and/or the evil ghost of Hien's dad possessed by Wrexsoul or something.

Recall the quote at the end of stormblood mentions "So rose the children, but what of the father" and that probably refers to both Hien and Lyse.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I hope we see more Krile and Urianger, both of them were sort of written out of the story and then didn't do anything when they inevitably came back. I was really hoping for Krile and Alphinaud as our npc companions in Omega but at least we got something else good.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

There is like a 90% chance at some point in the upcoming patch expansions you're going to have to deal with Hien's dad and/or the evil ghost of Hien's dad possessed by Wrexsoul or something.

Recall the quote at the end of stormblood mentions "So rose the children, but what of the father" and that probably refers to both Hien and Lyse.
there's more than two children of a father involved in the SB MSQ

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ilifinicus posted:

there's more than two children of a father involved in the SB MSQ

Well, yes, obviously so, but they're the two I can most think of as being defined as "rising' during the SB story and whose fathers are repeatedly mentioned during the MSQ.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

Well, yes, obviously so, but they're the two I can most think of as being defined as "rising' during the SB story and whose fathers are repeatedly mentioned during the MSQ.

There's Pippin, though when you ask "what of the father" the answer is "Raubahn is right there giving him a high five".

The more likely child they're talking about is Zenos. He definitely rose, but the cryptic question doesn't preclude them having fallen back down.

Robot Dog
Oct 2, 2013
Pretty sure the "children" are Ala Mhigo and Doma and the "Father" is the Garlean Empire.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Thundarr posted:

There's Pippin, though when you ask "what of the father" the answer is "Raubahn is right there giving him a high five".

The more likely child they're talking about is Zenos. He definitely rose, but the cryptic question doesn't preclude them having fallen back down.

The quote explicitly says children, not child.

The full quote is

So fell the hunter, but what of the hound?
So rose the children, but what of the father?

I assumed the fallen hunter is Zenos but who knows.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 6, 2017

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Thundarr posted:

FFXIV just has a higher quality of pop culture referencing (Quake Me Up Before You O'Ghormo is a goddamn amazing pun) and also has the decency not to beat you over the head with them by limiting references to quest and FATE names for the most part. Like the enemies in the What's On Your Mind FATE are a fun thing if you get the reference but you never have to put up with an NPC standing there saying HEY YOU THIS IS FROM THAT 80S SONG IT'S A JOKE GET IT?

Michael Christopher Koji Fox is a loving menace to society, I tell you.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

ImpAtom posted:

The quote explicitly says children, not child.

The full quote is

So fell the hunter, but what of the hound?
So rose the children, but what of the father?

I assumed the fallen hunter is Zenos but who knows.

if the hunter is zenos then the hound, being directly subordinate, is fordola.

The children can also be the "oppressed" generation that was instrumental in the revolutions; those people you kept having to convince because they had never known a free ala mhigo/doma. What, then, of those who knew both freedom and slavery? There's the ending question

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mister Olympus posted:

if the hunter is zenos then the hound, being directly subordinate, is fordola.

The children can also be the "oppressed" generation that was instrumental in the revolutions; those people you kept having to convince because they had never known a free ala mhigo/doma. What, then, of those who knew both freedom and slavery? There's the ending question

The hound could also be.. god, I can't remember her name now but the Doman woman too. They both serve kinda similar roles and are both left open at the end.

You're right about the other part though, since SB does have an ongoing thing about the children being oppressed and then rising.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I always thought the hound was Omega but didn't really spend any time thinking about whether that worked or not

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

ImpAtom posted:

The hound could also be.. god, I can't remember her name now but the Doman woman too. They both serve kinda similar roles and are both left open at the end.

You're right about the other part though, since SB does have an ongoing thing about the children being oppressed and then rising.

Her nickname is also The Hound so, well. That's kind of a gimmie.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gearhead posted:

Her nickname is also The Hound so, well. That's kind of a gimmie.

Oh jeez, it is? Well, that clarifies that, yes.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

SwissArmyDruid posted:

It's good but sometimes I wish he'd actually write something relevant to the game lore and interesting instead of memeing when these happen

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Is there a Menace II Society reference in the game and if not, why not Koji?

also
https://twitter.com/lieutfaber/status/732642711589650432

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It's good but sometimes I wish he'd actually write something relevant to the game lore and interesting instead of memeing when these happen

He *did* write something relevant to the game lore, it's in the Mount Guide, and if you hover over the portrait in the mount guide, you get a speech bubble that occasionally adds MORE lore.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Griz posted:

haven't had one of these for a while

also I changed my healer outfit for the first time in a year so here's another glamour shot for the new guy

A little late but what is this entire set?

The mount guide has lore for every mount and you can hover over the preview image for more stuff.

efb

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I know about the bubble. Maybe they're in the wrong order though sometimes. Lore upfront meems on the bubble should probably be the way it goes.

That healer glam is bunny tights (chief probs), Makai body, i330/340 weapon and Edda boots.

Dunno about the gloves but could also be Makai, the horns might be from the gold saucer.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
The gloves are indeed the GARO ones, and the horns are from the proto-ultima-but-really-just-rafflesia rare fate in Azys Lla.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I love being a leather biker WHM, the Garou set is so good. It looks really good dyed white, also

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Countblanc posted:

I hope we see more Krile and Urianger, both of them were sort of written out of the story and then didn't do anything when they inevitably came back. I was really hoping for Krile and Alphinaud as our npc companions in Omega but at least we got something else good.

I'm glad that Urianger serves the critical role of sneaking up behind you to deliver exposition and plot devices.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm glad that Urianger serves the critical role of sneaking up behind you to deliver exposition and plot devices.

COR BLIMEY!

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

they're casual because despite raiding 12 hours a week they're still stuck on O3S

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

12hrs a week was on the low end for a WoW mythic raiding guild, but I have no idea how raiding is in this game.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Bolow posted:

12hrs a week was on the low end for a WoW mythic raiding guild, but I have no idea how raiding is in this game.

I cleared O1S in one night. O2S after a few days of 2-3 hours.

O3S took me about a week and a half of playing heavily but most of the challenge was finding people who didn't suck; I had the fight down after about 3 days of playing with most of my spare time. Haven't attempted O4S but even assuming it's literally twice as hard to learn as O3S any group raiding for 12 hours a week should have have it on farm by like week 3 or 4 (and it's now week 9 I believe). Once everything's on farm it's a few hours one night a week.

e: I don't fully understand how raiding in WoW works but my understanding is that the paradigm is that even the most hardcore of poopsockers will have new content to face for a significant fraction of the patch cycle. FFXIV is balanced around the hardcore raiders clearing in a week or two and then everyone else trickling in over the next few months depending on their skill/amount of time spent.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Sep 6, 2017

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
u-uh, yeah! you should be able to clear o4s in 3 weeks if you raid that much, y-yeah...

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
(the actual problem is that exfaust by himself is probably harder than halicarnassus)

fakeedit: the other, more important problem, is that we're bad

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm just extrapolating from how hard O3S is. Maybe O4S is even more than twice as long to learn! If it's more like 5-10 times then still working on it isn't so absurd.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

I know about the bubble. Maybe they're in the wrong order though sometimes. Lore upfront meems on the bubble should probably be the way it goes.

Except that they've solidified the way it goes into a consistent theme: the mouse over item/action description is all about 'summon your this, something quick and potentially memorable' while the actual contents of the guide give the extended lore.

It's not like the quick descriptions lack lore either, most of them either have a quick highlight on where they've come from or something about them that's notable.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm just extrapolating from how hard O3S is. Maybe O4S is even more than twice as long to learn! If it's more like 5-10 times then still working on it isn't so absurd.

To put it into perspective, it took us a little over a week to do 1-3, a week and a half to get Exdeath down, and then three more weeks for NED.

The difficulty curve is nearly asymptotic.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
My group meets two nights a week for 2-3 hours each night, we cleared OS1 and 2 the first week and have been stuck on Hali (Mostly because of life causing late starts or sub ins, etc.)

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
Yeah we have had some attendance issues so call it maybe 5 solid raid nights and 2 or 3 half nights and we cleared 1 and 2 quickly, got o3s to 23% last tuesday and haven't been able to get our poo poo together since then to get her dead... hopefully tomorrow. Remember that the world first crews played basically 24 hrs a day until they beat it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

My group meets two nights a week for 2-3 hours each night, we cleared OS1 and 2 the first week and have been stuck on Hali (Mostly because of life causing late starts or sub ins, etc.)

That poo poo is why I quit raiding back when we were still working on A1S. Getting eight people to all show up on time every week is just literally impossible. Pugging has its frustrations, but at least when you're ready to play you can just play and not worry whether your seven friends are all ready too.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I am amazed that you guys even raid more than once per week. Getting ten people together for ICC10 for three or four hours, once a week was a miracle in and of itself, and even then we had one rotating spot, I don't know how you guys swing 2+ days a week of raiding.

(And stupid Lady Bitchwhisper STILL never dropped me my loving leather belt!)

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Sep 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

I cleared O1S in one night. O2S after a few days of 2-3 hours.

O3S took me about a week and a half of playing heavily but most of the challenge was finding people who didn't suck; I had the fight down after about 3 days of playing with most of my spare time. Haven't attempted O4S but even assuming it's literally twice as hard to learn as O3S any group raiding for 12 hours a week should have have it on farm by like week 3 or 4 (and it's now week 9 I believe). Once everything's on farm it's a few hours one night a week.

e: I don't fully understand how raiding in WoW works but my understanding is that the paradigm is that even the most hardcore of poopsockers will have new content to face for a significant fraction of the patch cycle. FFXIV is balanced around the hardcore raiders clearing in a week or two and then everyone else trickling in over the next few months depending on their skill/amount of time spent.

Hardcore poopsockers in WoW raid for around 15-18hrs a day for 1-2 weeks. The raid tier my guild died on, died at a boss that for most guilds would take 300+ pulls to kill, with a 250+ and 300+ pull-to-kill bosses following right after it. The last 2 bosses in the current raid tier take upwards of around 800 wipes combined to get through. The hardcore poopsockers generally finish with in the first 2-3 weeks, but there's a bunch of bugfuck crazy prep they put in to it, with split runs and poo poo.

At least at cursory glance the raiding community in FF14 doesn't even begin to approach the insanity of the world first race in WoW